Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"? <

EmperorMoo

Aug 3, 2005
Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"?

As many people will be aware or involved, there are quite a few tournaments on the go at the minute. I am waay too busy at work & home to give them the time they deserve, but I thought it might be nice to have a very low key, very easy-going event rumbling on in the background.

Simply, my suggestion is this:

Rules:
1) HC only
2) Take a character (any class, any stat allocation) through classic Diablo 2. Yes, fishys and cheesadins welcome.
3) No muling on.

The idea is to simply revisit pre-LoD Diablo, with its lack of runes and charms (but not without its charms, so to speak) and have a pleasant, pretty non-competative time whilst doing it. Player settings and number of times you run bosses is at your discretion.

I'm going to start a char today (a barb, as that was (iirc) the first char I made when I installed D2 all those years ago) and amble through.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to add yourself to the table below and supply us with updates as you progress and at your discretion. If no one else is interested, hopefully I will post the equivalent of a Guardian (is it Baron?) write-up in a few weeks.

Code:
Forum name	Character Name	Class		Level 	Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------
EmperorMoo	Bors		Frenzybarb	1	Rogue Encampment

Re: Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"?

Too bad it's not 1.00, me and Vortex are at the end of act2 normal there, probably going to get to act3 today, we're like you suggest playing only a short amount of time each day, though we do it on a relative fast schedual.

Umm dumb question; I have 1.12a is just removing the expansion check ok?

Might want to have a link in your post to where the differences are explained between Classic and LoD. That would help others decide what type of build to make as I for one can't recall what worked back then that doesn't anymore, and vice versa.

It's an interesting idea though...

Wow, tiny stash! No weapon switch! Yep, Thyiad, it looks like unchecking expansion character makes it classic. I actually tried to make an assassin (blush), then started an Amazon named Celia. She's level 6 now, cruising along at /p5.

Yea, I'll give this a shot. I haven't played Classic in a while. I'm assuming 1.12 is acceptable just playing classic mode. A ruling would be nice though.

Code:
TLOD            Breadfan        CLSorc          1       Rogue Encampment

Code:
TLOD            Breadfan-RIP    CLSorc          6       The Cave

Deeds...Probably the most humiliating defeat in my history of Diablo 2. Basically stood toe to toe with Coldcrow launching charged bolts at her. Took out her minions simple enough, but she got off 1 last arrow before I killed her. The arrow hit, slowed me from running from her ring of ice which took me out. Moral of the story, I guess it doesn't pay off to play HC like SC, at least in my case. Rest in Peace Breadfan, your deeds of honor will be forgotten.

Code:
TLOD            Breadfan-RIP    CLSorc          6       The Cave
ILikeRocks       ZAPPO           NovaSorc      1       Rogue Encampment

I'll give it a go, The sorc was the first char I ever made when I first got the game, and the Light tree was always my fav! I am not looking forward to the little stash and The even more moronic mercs, but Good luck to all!

I'm a fan of Classic play (and not so long ago made a King) so I'd be remiss for not entering this. I prefer to take advantage of some of the Classic/LoD quicks so I'm thinking a Static/Orb sorc would be a reasonable plan.

- no merc *check*
- no charms *check*
- no jewels *check*
- no runes/runewords *check*
- no act 5 guest monster nonsense *check*

cooooooooool :thumbup:

I am in with Bombur the Frenzy Barbarian

Code:
newco           Bombur          Frenzybarb      15      dark Forest
TLOD            Breadfan-RIP    CLSorc           6      The Cave
EmperorMoo	Bors		Frenzybarb	 1	Rogue Encampment
ILikeRocks      ZAPPO           NovaSorc         1      Rogue Encampment

I'm glad to see that a couple of others are interested in tagging along: it's always nice to have some company in a project like this.

1.12 is the standard version in the SPF nowadays, so it'll do as a standard for us, too. If anyone wants to go really retro, they could try patch 1.01 (iirc, the patch the original D2 shipped with). 10/10 for style if anyone actually does this. I have found a link to it, but I'll PM a mod before posting it - I don't want to create an e-drama.:crazyeyes:

Ruling: v1.12 for preference, 1.01 for style (pending mod approval and whether or not it works). No other versions, please.

Differences between LoD and Classic

To be honest, I can't really remember: years of ale and the finest wines known to humanity have taken their toll.

All I can remember is that Classic has:

no charms
no runes
much smaller stash
no act 5
mercs don't travel between acts and cannot have equipemnt put on them

Much more info can be found here:

http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611653

Oh, and I almost forgot:

Please post details of any unusual items that you find along the way. I have a feeling that rare items may be considerably more useful in Classic than they are in LoD.

If anyone wants to go really retro, they could try patch 1.01 (iirc, the patch the original D2 shipped with). 10/10 for style if anyone actually does this. I have found a link to it, but I'll PM a mod before posting it - I don't want to create an e-drama.:crazyeyes:

Actually the very first version is 1.00, you can get it if you uninstall diablo and re-installs only the classic version, that's how I got it. :)

Ruling: v1.12 for preference, 1.01 for style (pending mod approval and whether or not it works). No other versions, please.
[/QUOTE]

I'll wait for your reply, but if you mean the very first version (1.00), and if it's okay that me and The Vortex started earlier than you guys, then it could be fun enough to add us to the list, if it's okay with him. :)

I've not any experience with these turnements play though, so if I'm missing something essentiel please let me know.

Btw. about finding unusual items, or finding many that is we've already found several set items (2x angelic, 1x berserker, 1x cathan, 2x isenhart), gambled one unique (The Vortex gambled a nightsmoke, as the gamble chance of unique is 1:10 (though 0 if the item have already spawned, as I understand it, it's a very easy way to get some items for untwinked play) and a few good rares for our level, I think it's because we do full clears that so many items pop out.

And you're right, in classic rares rule the battle field, at least of melee chars, as there doesn't exist elite items (or didn't when I played), only exceptional, and no exceptional uniques, which leaves normal uniques, exceptional rares, and here does exceptional rares win by far, though things may have changed, haven't played classic since about the beginning of 1.10.

According to the Diablo wiki, 1.01 was the earliest patch. If you can find a version earlier than that by all means go for it - iirc, my original D2 disc came patched to 1.07. My idea was either to allow people to have either the current patch or the first.

You're welcome to put yourselves on the list, of course. This so-called "Tournament" isn't really a tournament with winners, more of an opportunity to refresh our memories of classic D2.

According to the Diablo wiki, 1.01 was the earliest patch.
I think there's a difference between patch and version, first version I'd think is 1.00, but the first time they patched, they patched to 1.01, though I'm not certain.

If you can find a version earlier than that by all means go for it - iirc, my original D2 disc came patched to 1.07. My idea was either to allow people to have either the current patch or the first.

You're welcome to put yourselves on the list, of course. This so-called "Tournament" isn't really a tournament with winners, more of an opportunity to refresh our memories of classic D2.

Thank you :) I'll add myself doing the day.

During the squid attack yesterday I took the liberty of starting a character for this tourney.

I'm considering installing a brand spanking old version 1.00 just for this though, but for now, I'm going with current version (1.12a)
Code:
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level     Location
newco           Bombur            Frenzybarb      15      dark Forest
TLOD            Breadfan-RIP      CLSorc           6      The Cave
EmperorMoo      Bors              Frenzybarb       1      Rogue Encampment
ILikeRocks      ZAPPO             NovaSorc         1      Rogue Encampment
nubikoen        Death             Poisonmancer    12      The cave

EmperorMoo - thanks for the PM. :) How about the patches on Blizzards site (which are in the SP Version post of the SPF FAQ *cough*).

If Blizzards is full (and for some reason doesn't have 1.01) then try this mirror (it redirects from Blizzard) which is here, it does have 1.01 (and is now added to the FAQ).

PC D2 patches here; for Mac use the above link and navigate. :D

Last edited:

Code:
newco           Bombur            Frenzybarb      15      Dark Forest
EmperorMoo      Bors              'zerkbarb        9      Dark Wood

I don't know how many times I've read the SPF FAQs, there's still stuff I've missed in there :whistling:

If you wish to use the 1.01 patch or even the 1.00 version (if you have it), please indicate this with a 01 or 00 after your charname. Those of us using 1.12 need do nothing.

@TLOD: sorry about the Deeds, to be honest I've had a couple of NDEs including a VERY close shave with Treehead Woodfist.

It's my younger brother's 21st birthday today, so I'm off to visit him for a day or so. Once I return (and the hangover wears off) I'll push on.

Ok, so I've added both of us.

Code:
Jel                  Meshrefdjidji00  Converterdin     21      Canyon of Magi
The Vortex     Xzar00       IM/Blood Golem Necro   21      Canon of Magi

If anyone would like to make the list more nice, please do so.

I would like to try out classic, and I have been wanting to try out 1.09, so this is a perfect opportunity to me -- I'll join a classic 1.09 character.

... at least, that was my thought process throughout the first page. Then you prohibited 1.09 characters. Oh well, I suppose another tournament will come around at some point. Have fun, everyone. :thumbup:

Celia is having no problems as yet. She has her Act 1 merc, Klaudia, now.

Code:
[table]Code:
Jel                  Meshrefdjidji00  Converterdin     21      Canyon of Magi
The Vortex     Xzar00       IM/Blood Golem Necro   21      Canon of Magi
JayeM            Celia          Bowazon               9          The Cave[/table]

Obviously I have no idea how to do a table...someone wanta clue me in?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High