Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"? <

Re: Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"?

Count Borasasi has defeated Diablo. For all my trepidation, it was a cakewalk. I ran Meph and the Council and the Durrance a few times to improve levels and gear, and I had the good fortune for his first unique drop the whole game to be Gravenspine. Some reasonable council drops but nothing too impressive- mostly his gear is now gambled as his gold coffers were overflowing. I mis-remembered and thought that level 30 was where the stash gold increased from 200k to 800k-ish, so there was a lot of gold I'd left on the ground that needed to be gambled. Better gloves, boots and belt were the result, though nothing impressive. He's still wearing a chipped-skulled skullcap from A1 back when mana and life regen were much more important so I've had my eyes out for improvement there.

Stepping out of the Pandemonium fortress with weak Clay Golem and a shopped +1 Bone Spear wand was done at players 1 and was no problem. Getting an army going is a big problem in A4, usually, and I wanted to do the whole act in one go and couldn't linger much. I had a huge stack of blues because I think of BS as a mana hog, but at skill level one mana is not as much of a problem! A Venom Lord died, then soon an army was raised and the player count was back at 8 until the River of Flame WP. I left a lot of corpses around (to come back for in case my army was totally wiped out) but I never needed to return. The CS was done on /players 1 and I didn't lose a single skellie to IM or any of the seal bosses or Diablo, so clearly I was being over-cautious there. But I'll be happy to move on to NM at this point.

Code:
Version 1.12
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level     Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      72      H Diablo is vanquished
asdfgah         ClassPSNama       psnJav/valk     60      Hell Dark Wood
Purplelocust    Halimede          passivezon      48      Hell Rogue Camp
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         26      NM Rogue Camp
Skiff           wharrgarbl        Babral          28      NM Rogue Camp
Purplelocust    Borasasi          summoner        31      NM Rogue Camp
asdfgah         eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       28      Kurast Bazaar
Purplelocust    Cyllene           furyzon         21      Lut Golein
Purplelocust    Tarvos            poison necro    20      Catacombs 2
SiTro           of_Spades         Amazon          11      Outer Cloister
Nagisa          Riinfosu          Orb/TS          11      Stony Field
Purplelocust    Borasisi          melee necro      8      Cold Plains
Thyiad          SickTrout         Fishy            7      Cold Plains
EmperorMoo      BiggerThanBilbo   Berzerker        5      Cold Plains
MizzouFTW       Mizzou            Hammerdin        1      Rogue Encampment

Boriasisi is doing well into NM. Getting the first corpse to raise is the main concern, but even stepping out of the rogue camp it wasn't a problem. A couple of times, the 1pt clay golem actually killed something before the merc did.

Cheesy but convenient: start out each session at /players 1, get an army, up the /players to 8 and proceed. I've dialed it down for incovenient areas (just the Maggot Lair and Arcane Sanctuary.)

I ran Andarial nicely for a while but didn't get much in the way of drops from her. I think I'll head back after levelling some more and then I can switch to higher MF gear safely there.

Another Gravenstein dropped, though. Woestave dropped, which I thought about making an iron golem from but I decided against it as I would have had to pay for an IG wand and then probably it would flake out at some point.

A2 was a joy- I could use a might merc, which was wonderful! It was hard to say goodbye to Gulzar at the dockside. His might, together with Attract + CE in the Canyon and other open areas meant for very rapid levelling.

There was one moment of alarm from a CE explosion that happened without me realizing. I was sorting out gear and then boom- down to a quarter bulb. Resists and blocking are terrible but at least they are now positive.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      72      H Diablo is vanquished
Purplelocust    Borasasi          summoner        51      NM Spider Forest

I took a break from Boriasisi and started two more characters, potential Countesses, I hope:

Hyrrokkin, who plans to be a naked Blaze sorceress. She has punched her way tediously up to level 6 and now she can use Inferno, so hopefully her progress will now be more rapid. The next time I start a naked sorc I'll make sure she will be using a skill she can invest in at the beginning!

Bebhionn, who plans to be either an Impalazon or a Fendazon. Not sure yet- I've never actually used Impale and I'm curious as to how slow it really is. She's jabbing along at the moment.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Bebhionn          impalazon        9      Stony Field
Purplelocust    Hyrrokkin         naked blazer     6      Cold Plains

Hyrrokkin the naked blaze sorc has defeated Andarial. Once she got Static and Inferno at level 6, she could level (carefully) to level 12, at which point it became Static+Blaze. The main problems are ranged attackers who don't move much and who are hard to get into the flames- swarming packs like black rouges are a joy in comparison. Shaman in particular are troublesome. There was a lot of rerunning areas to level up- all points are going into vitality and with no gear, she's not very sturdy. But Andarial was not bad- at /players 1, with plenty of antidote potions and lots of potions at the ready. Not having a belt is a pain but she pretty much keeps her inventory open during big battles.

For Bebhionn, wow, I am sure I have never used the Impale skill before. I know I would remember that, uh, sound. I'm leaning towards making her a Fendazon to avoid that noise and the speed of the attack. For now, she's just got a single point in Impale and will probably continue using Jab for a while.

I also started a blue-item only Ice Bolt/Ice Blastress. She was much quicker getting started than the naked blazer. Hopefully one of these characters I can get to Countess.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Hyrrokkin         naked blazer    20      Lut Golein
Purplelocust    Bebhionn          impalazon       12      Outer Cloister
Purplelocust    Bestla            ice bolter       8      Stony Field

Hyrokkin is at the Canyon WP. Having a merc was good but there were times that it was a pain, for example the Arcane Sanctuary. Her basic method is to run up, retreat and as the monsters follow her back, they'll roast. Static is useful and she's got a good investment there which lets her play at higher player counts pretty handily. The open areas in the desert are great and she's done some running for experience there. The Arcane Sanctuary and the Maggot Lair were annoying and done at /players 1- the merc would often bottle up the monsters. The maggot queen sits still so no there was no way to Blaze her but static and the merc were fine there.

I think I'll level some more in the canyon before heading to face Duriel. The revivers in the tombs can be a pain as they don't move much. I think I'll be OK for Duriel, prebuffing with thawing, and then I'll try to get some static fields off before Blazing him. With no FCR, static isn't nearly as dependable as usual in tight quarters. And with no tele, the merc positioning is a pain, but there is always TPing out and back.

Bebhionn is slogging along and I still haven't decided about Fend or Impale. Level 24 without a better attack than a 1 point impale or a 1 point Jab is looking like a long way away.

Bestla is going OK and her Ice Blast is building up to be pretty dependable. She's been the quickest out of the gate of the recent batch, by far. She'll visit Tristram a few more times to level before heading forward.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Hyrrokkin         naked blazer    26      Canyon
Purplelocust    Bebhionn          impalazon       13      Jail 1
Purplelocust    Bestla            ice bolter      13      Dark Wood

I seem to be the only one playing Classic these days.

But I have been working on a few of these Classic characters:

Hyrokkin the naked blazer is level 31 in A4 now, killing Duriel and then Mephisto. Duriel was no problem with static and then crisscrossing Blaze. A3 was nice with a merc who stayed out of the way and with lots of swarming chasing monsters like flayers. The Flayer Dungeon was no problem as ghosts and swarming chasers were easy. The merc had to kill Witch Doctor Endengu as he is always immune to fire. I'm somewhat worried about the Grand Vizier as he'll be fire immune and I won't have a merc to finish him off, but hopefully static and punching will work there.

Blaze damage is good but I am constantly drinking potions of all types- mainly health, some mana, some stamina, some thawing, some antidote. Her backpack is filled with potions typically. It's somewhat freeing not picking anything up- a lot of times I'm not even looking to see what drops. But if I hear a ring or amulet or gem, I'll grab that to sell. I'm not identifying any rings or amulets before selling them, which is a little odd. I do inspect staffmod items but I haven't found any of the gaps in my Staffmod Grail project yet.

Often I'll zigzag and let the monsters fry themselves, and sometimes I'll run past them and let them die while chasing me. I'll go back and look if I hear a gem drop sound, which is why I started picking up rings and amulets as well. The money funds the drinking problem that she's developed...

Boriassi the summoner has made good progress through Act 3 NM, and is at the Kurast Bazaar WP and at level 54. He had a medium stair trap getting the tome, but at least this time it was with a character well equipped for one. Cloud stalkers have weird AI, and Attract-ing one of them at the edge of the battle would work well as they would wander off and lure more monsters close.

Edit: forgot to mention that Bestla has also moved along and is at the Inner Cloister. Her Ice Blast is doing great damage but mana is a problem at the moment.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Borasasi          summoner        54      NM Spider Forest
Purplelocust    Hyrrokkin         naked blazer    31      Pandemonium Fortress
Purplelocust    Bestla            ice bolter      16      Inner Cloister

Last edited:

Hyrokkin has a conundrum- how to kill the (fire immune) Grand Vizier? She's at the RoF waypoint and cleared the Chaos Sanctuary and killed everything pretty handily. The fat poison worms which don't move much were the only annoyance in the act. But now I'm not sure what to do about the Grand Vizier.

Progress through the CS went well at /players 1. But I wasn't able to static the Grand Vizier down below about 1/10 of his health. I assume it has to do with the fact that he's regenerating pretty fast. It may be that he gains life from the mana he drains like a mana burn monster (and he's constantly draining her mana) and without any FCR, the statics are not coming very fast and mana runs out. I spent about 45 minutes trying to kill him in various ways- static, punching, leading him out of the CS, and at this point I'm at a loss as to how to kill him.

I was actually pretty worried about killing him, as I've done (over the years on the realms) countless self-rushes with an enchanted bow in Classic, and the guarranteed fire-immune Grand Vizier was sometimes a problem depending upon the rushee.

The basic problem: with no gear, my sources of damage are just Static, Inferno and Blaze and punching. There are no charms in Classic so a poison-charmed punch or similar won't work.

Some possible ideas:

1) buy/find a +Blizzard staff and try that. That would break my "naked" limitation
2) buy a weapon with poison damage or PMH and try that. That would break my "naked" limitation.
3) level up to 33 and then put a single point into a cold skill (Ice Bolt? Frost Nova) or a lightning skill (Charged Bolt?) It will take a while to level and I'm not sure how any of those 1-point skills will do against his regeneration.

Any other ideas appreciated!

Meanwhile...

Boriassi has killed Mephisto and now stands (worried) in the NM Pandemonium Fortress.

The rest of A3 NM went well. No problems in the sewers, and Trav took some care with champion and boss heirophant packs. I tried to do some experiments to see if a Confused heirophant would heal me or my merc but I didn't see any effects of that. Once there was a big clear area in Trav, the council was no problem. although Durrance 1 and Durrance 2 were huge and took a while. Dolls on both levels. I decided to keep everything at /players 8 and Meph was not a problem there- it took about a clay golem for every two letters of his name, with one break in the middle to go heal and rebuff resist potions. No useful drops, but I did get a decent shield (gambled, blocking and FHR) and finally complete a 3PTopaz hat. Steady gem drops but a dearth of topazes, it seemed.
Stepping out of A4 Pand Fortress, I'll dig out his Bone Spear wand from the stash and see if getting the first corpse goes as well as it did in normal.

One place that hasn't worked out too well is his headgear. I've been cubing up gems with the idea that he would have a 3PTopaz mask for general MF, a 3PRuby mask for difficult areas, etc. But I've only found one 3 socket mask so far, so it's just the MF option. I may try to gamble a better hat if I don't find something. His resists are weak 20-s/30-s but he's out of the way mostly. I've also been trying to gamble a belt when his bank account overflows but no good luck there.

His current gear is:
3 Ptopaz mask, blue +1 nec amulet, Gravenspine, rare armor CR 17/FR 24/ PR 23, rare bone shield with deflecting and 10FHR, Magefist, ring 23 LR 27 FR, Lapis demonhide sash of balance (4 rows!) rare fcr ring with CR 14 and MPK, rare boots with 10 FRW, 40 PR, 26 LR.

I had been hoping for Sigon's sheild to drop and I've got stat points saved in case of that. One idea is to have that for summoning and then a 3 PDiamond tower for play, but until the shield drops, I'm just using the rare bone shield.

I did run Mephisto a couple of times, not very quickly, and once I had an army up I poked around A3 on /players 8. I have been seeing more sets and rares dropping since upping the MF, but no good drops yet. I think I'll do a couple more passes before stepping out into A4. I just want to do that once if I can manage it.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Borasasi          summoner        57      NM Pandemonium Fort
Purplelocust    Hyrrokkin         naked blazer    33      River of Flame

It seems you are the only one interested in a tournament in classic! Or at least until now...

I would like to propose a new tournament, a real one with a special purpose. Like this one:
http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752581

What do you say? Any interest?

Two developments on this project: Borasai defeated NM Diablo and is now a Duke, and Hyrokkin defeated normal Diablo to earn Countess.

Borasai: After running a fair amount of A3 at /players 8 to collect gear, level and get gold for gambling, I finally decided to move onto A4. The +2 bone spear wand was enough to get the first corpse, and it wasn't too bad. But I would prefer not to have to do that regularly! There were flesh spawners right outside the steps and a flesh spawn young was the first to fall, about the easiest of the possible monsters there. Once I had an army up, I played the rest mostly on /players 1. Corpse explosion is incredible on /players 1, and the Attract to make a mob and then level them worked great.

There were gloams in the Plains of Despair so that took a great deal of care. At this point I switched from my rare bone shield to a 3PDiamond large shield. I had been hoping to find a 3 socket tower shield but no such luck, so into the large shield the PDiamonds went. I was fortunate not to get any bosspacks of gloams with bad mods. Izual was no problem. In the City of the Damned, I ran across an experience shrine and temporarily bumped the /players up to 8 to make some levelling progress there, and even at /players 8 it was pretty speedy and safe. There was a shrine near the RoF entrance but it was Fire Resist. Usually I would be grateful for a convenient Fire Resist shrine but my fire resists were already maxed and there weren't good gear switch options with it active.

Hephasto was not a problem, and working into the CS was a breeze back at /players 1. The CS itself was again an Attract and Explode exercise, the idea was to quickly kill off everything quickly. The IM sound meant step into a TP to get the army uncursed. He levelled to 60 in the CS and the seals went smoothly. Against Diablo, clay golem + Decrep meant a slow but safe battle. His drop had a unique ring, which turned out to be a 27% Nagel, oh well.

Hyrokkin: I'll write up a Countess thread for her. Whew, that was some careful play and she ended up using strategy #1 for the Grand Vizier- momentary use of a staff to kill him off.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Borasasi          summoner        60      Hell Rogue Camp
Purplelocust    Hyrrokkin         naked blazer    35      NM Rogue Camp