Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"? <

Shield? What's this thing called a "shield" that you refer to? Mirax isn't sure she can wander around with her trusty staff and hold a shield at the same time. Can she wear it on her back instead? Something like a extra layer of armor.

Mirax had a grand old time running around the rogues backyard. She really didn't run into any serious issues along the way. Blizzard is being maxed out (almost there) and as such works quite nicely as an area of effect spell to slow down the charging hordes. Honestly, never used the skill before. Always been a Frozen Orber instead. It's still a bit annoying to find that I'll completely miss monsters in the middle of the cast on a constant basis and have to recast Blizzard to wipe out one pesky skeleton mage since the mercenary can't do it herself.

Still overall nothing too exciting happened, beyond a few fun drops. Can't say exactly where but did obtain the Nokozan Relic, which should go a long way to solving Mirax's fire resistance problems (currently at 85%). Along with that she was able to buy a +2 to sorceress skills staff to replace her +3 to Fire ball one. And she gambled what should be her endgame belt.

Bone Lock
Plated Belt
Defense: 18
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 60
Required Level: 19
Item Version: 1.10+ Standard
Item Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x3bfab47b
+7 to Strength
+22 to Life
+58% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +30%
Lightning Resist +27%

Can you say booya! :alright:

As of yet haven't needed to do any area/boss rerunning. Will do so before Hell most likely, but until then going to just keep questing. Still when she wants to quest Mirax will be immune to poison, as she found both the Venom Ward and Iratha's Collar. So Andariel is in a lot of trouble.

Code:
Version 1.12
Forum name      Character Name    Class         Level     Location
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      63      Hell Lut Golein
newco           Louie             Hammerdin       56      NM Kurast Bazar 
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     45      NM Rocky Waste
asdfgah	         eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       20      Rocky Waste
SiTro           of_Spades         Amazon          11      Outer Cloister
Nagisa          Riinfosu          Orb/TS          11      Stony Field
Thyiad          SickTrout         Fishy            7      Cold Plains
EmperorMoo      GudrunII          Amazon           1      Rogue Encampment

Re: Is there any interest in a Classic "Tournament"?

Shield? What's this thing called a "shield" that you refer to?

Hah! We seem to have quite different approaches! Ceto hasn't used a staff since she gave up that starter staff in A1 normal.

A2 Hell went pretty smoothly. Things are getting a little touchy in places. Vipers were trouble and Ceto just zipped in, grabbed the amulet and ran away without killing Coldskin. It's not like he drops anything anymore!

There was a lot of teleporting and avoiding monsters throughout the act, but Duriel was done on /players 8 and only ate 1 merc before dying. The rest of the act was pretty hungry, merc-wise and Griez ran out of help a few times.

Duriel actually dropped all rares, useless but still nice. I ran Andariel for a while more before heading to A2 and she dropped Culwen's Point. That was after I decided I wouldn't invest in strength, so now I have another dilemna. But the wand + shield is working well so for now I think I'll stick with that.

One scary NDE getting to Andarial- teleporting into a manaburn bosspack of Tainted was an exciting-chug-full-rejuvs-and-get-out-of-there. That was after many many smooth runs there, and I generally knew where to expect the bosspacks enroute, so that was a surprise.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      66      Hell Kurast Docks
newco           Louie             Hammerdin       56      NM Kurast Bazar 
asdfgah	        eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       20      Rocky Waste

After killing my barb in the Bloodgod tourney I also got my hammerdin killed in the CS. Not a good day for HC chars.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      66      Hell Kurast Docks
newco           Louie             Hammerdin       60      NM CS (R.I.P.) 

Sorry to hear about the death! How did you die and what was the /players count there and your resists? The curses can make the CS dangerous even for a very strong character.

Some progress for Ceto: she teleported through a lot of A3 and got the body parts. Unfortunately the map was the one where the Great Marsh was essential, and it took several trudges from the Spider Forest to realize there were Gloams and so that took a while. The Flayer dungeon was OK but scary. I had planned to reroll the monster types if I got the dolls but I found the next stairs down before realizing there were dolls and just raced past. The huge looming obstacle is the council, of course. I'll want to clear out Travincal and then we'll see how that goes. I may end up running away and spending some more time rerunning earlier areas to improve gear, as gambling hasn't yielded any good gear recently. I have 3 imbues to try as well which may help.

Separating out the tables:
Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      67      Hell Trav
Code:
Their deeds remembered
nubikoen        Death             Poisonmancer    22      Spider Cavern (RIP)
EmperorMoo      Bors              Concbarb        21      Lost City (RIP)
JayeM           Celia             Bowazon         15      The Tower (RIP)
EmperorMoo      Gudrun            Amazon           7      Dark Wood (RIP)
TLOD            Breadfan          CLSorc           6      The Cave (RIP)

Sorry to hear about the death! How did you die and what was the /players count there and your resists? The curses can make the CS dangerous even for a very strong character.

The setup was /P8 + a bollte of Zinfandel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinfandel) + Infector of souls ... to keep it short ... sloppy work :whistling:. A hammerdin should survive the CS under normal circumstances ...

Ceto is doing well and is now at the Durrance 2 WP. Some developments:

She gambled great armor and a fantastic shield. Gambling for the armor was almost an afterthought- I was primarily gambling for a good bone shield (wanted resists, deflection) and since it's generally a couple of screens between seeing bone shields, I would occasionaly gamble quilted or other low-strength armors. She got a 24FHR with 26/25/22 F/L/C resists and 38 life studded leather, which was huge. She had been wearing one of the very many breast plates that Andarial had dropped with FHR and cold and lightning resists, but this one is great. And another couple of sessions later, she got a bone shield with deflection, prismatic and stacked lightning resists AND FHR. One of the nicest (non +pally skill) Classic shields I've seen, and I used to spend a lot of time on Classic b.net.

So those made the decision for me: do not invest in strength. I sold the Sigon's shield that had been taking up valuable stash space, the +str jewelry and the Culwen's Point that Andarial dropped. I also sold the latest Venom Ward, figuring I wasn't going to be spending much time visiting Andarial anymore.

Somehow along the way I lost my Tancred's amulet- it was probably inadvertently sold or dropped at some point. I did keep the Iratha's amulet, although I would need some strength for that set the amulet is just one space and things are pretty cleared out at the moment.

That set up Travincal battle. That was quite an effort. I cleared out Travincal and that was an ordeal, as there were packs of Heirophants that took forever to kill. The zealots were easy with orb, but the healers were problematic as they are cold immune and I would static them down and then try to get them with a low Firewall before they got healed from one another. A succession of fire and lightning hirelings were killed in the process of trying to get the last sliver. One champion heirophant pack alone took half an hour, ugh.

But eventually, things were clear for the council battle. And that went smoothly in comparison. There was only one which was CI/FI and (at /players 1) he was eventually killable with static and TK. I teased them out slowly and it wasn't bad after that and I smashed the compelling orb no problem. The Durrance had dolls, though, so I decided to reroll the monsters and just teleport by the council rather than doing the full clear and tease them out. Their spawn point was on the balcony so I could come in from the back easily. That worked out fine and I was able to get to the Durrance 2 WP without much struggle.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      67      Hell Durrance 2
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Very nicely done! I'd probably reroll if dolls showed up in the Durance for me in Hell as well. Haven't done it yet, but I'm not in Hell either.

Mirax completed the rest of her wanderings in the desert without too much excitement. She did however have some issues underground, basically with the Unravellers and their constant minion resurrections. Half the time Mirax couldn't get the unravellers onscreen to target as the minions kept her away.

She ended up having to deal first with the minions and then run past that area before they were resurrected to find the unravellers. This left her in a bit of a bind, as normally there were more monsters in the room she just entered, and her retreat was blocked off by just-resurrected minions. As such I made sure she was complete stocked potion-wise before going anywhere in the temples. Once she entered the room the fight consisted of her dropping successive blizzards down on the unraveller's heads while she ran around the room avoiding the other monsters. For rooms with 5+ unravellers, of which there were more than one, this took quite a while and normally an entire inventory of potions to accomplish.

Thank goodness the unravellers aren't cold immune in NM, as all my other spells require line of sight which the minions always block off. Anyway eventually Duriel was reached and dealt with, without having to resurrect the mercenary at all.

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     51      NM Kurast Docks
asdfgah         eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       20      Rocky Waste

eggiWEEG has been doing fine. He is level 28 and about to enter the Kurast sewers looking for khalim's heart.

However, I decided to give another build a try; a poison javelin amazon with Valkyrie.

So, ClassPSNama was created. Using p8 since the start, the poison skills have been working surprisingly well. I just needed to use quite a few stamina potions in the beginning to be able to do all the running while waiting for the poison to do its job ;) . Only a few big hp monsters were slow to kill, mummies in act2 normal, some poison resistant zombies and normal Mephisto for example. The transition from poison javelin to plague javelin also felt a bit off, but plague javelin quickly picked up killing speed after a few points. I decided to max poison & plague javelin first before getting valk to keep up the killing speed early, I guess both ways should do fine. Plague javelin still kills monsters in one or two "casts" but I will probably lower the player setting for hell.

Skills for now are:
Poison Javelin *MAX*
Plague Javelin *MAX*
Valk 8 (already killing at a decent speed in nm @p8)
Prereqz 1 each

Valk going to be maxed next and then (if I get that far) decoy.
Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     51      NM Kurast Docks
asdfgah         ClassPSNama       psnJav/valk     50      NM Arcane Sanctuary
asdfgah         eggiWEEG          Hammerdin       28      Kurast Bazaar
Code:
Their deeds remembered

Cool thread guys, some stylin' characters for sure. I have a couple of HC classic chars but I won't put them on the ladder since they pre-date this thread and one of them has been twinked to the gills with whatever meagre items my MFer could scrounge up from Hell Meph.

I currently have a level 33 Frenzier in A1 NM who is currently awaiting some new weapons. At the moment he is using dual General's Tan Do Li Ga but the minimum damage is starting to get a bit weak and I dont fancy myself against the lightning beetles without something that will leech back my life quicker. The speed is amazing though. The other character is a level 68 Blizz Sorc who will pretty much run Hell Meph for the rest of her existence and when that existence ends, will promptly be remade. She is built for survival more than MF at the moment but that's only because I havent seen a Gull or a 3 socket helm yet. Not a single one :xxx:. I didn't expect to find a Gull but a 3 socket helm? C'mon... I really want to run NM cows for one but she has a super-sweet meph map that is perfect for moat-tricking, the council members never even see her, that I dont want to lose.

On a side note, you guys may not have noticed since you are untwinked but some items (noticably the angelic rings/ammy) can't be x-fer'd on to a character, only off it. I am like 99% sure I have the latest ATMA but I havent had a look in the ATMA help thread, I'm just dealing with it rather than being pro-active. But I can tell you it was *hella* frustrating when I finally found a Sigs Gloves to go with the helm in the stash only to find that the helm wasn't transferable. Took another day or so to find the boots which, mercifully, are good-to-go.

@purplelocust: GL on Hell Act IV man, my Blizzer found it too much to bear. I ended up just trying to tele to the RoF waypoint but I gave up after nearly getting roasted by Souls. She is much happier strictly plying her trade in durance 3. The thing I miss the most about expansion has got to be the mercs, by so much it's not even a contest. Get rid of charms, jewels, EU's, whatever, but damn I wish Blizzard had put mercs in classic.

Anyway, GL to all!

Last edited:
I really don't like dolls. I really, really, really don't like them. Especially when using a character with zero block and no tanking mercenary.

Needless to say Mirax ran into said dolls in the Kurast Sewers, after stepping maybe 15 feet a cold enhanced boss pack of them came running around the corner. They are so small that I couldn't even tell there was a boss there right away, he was hiding behind the wall. All I knew was that Mirax was getting hurt, a alot, and she couldn't run away. Thankfully I did have some FHR on her so was able to teleport to gain a little breathing space. Slowly inched my way back casting blizzards all the while. Didn't help much, the pack came tearing around a corner, again. Ended up playing ring-around-the-rosy to the entrance to the sewers until I could entice my Iron Wolf mercenary to tank them for a few seconds so Mirax could stop running and wipe them out.

All the treking up to that point was fairly simple, with an itchy trigger finger blizzard waiting for those flayer packs to come screaming out of the jungle. Normally could catch them in time that only one or two got through unfazed and could be used as targets for the second blizzard cast.

After the sewers the council posed no problems, probably since they know more dolls lurked in the Durance to drive Mirax batty. Still, she was able to deal with them and eventually Mephisto without too much trouble. Helps when I hire a cold iron wolf to freeze the dolls rather than the lightning one I was using earlier. Witch Doctor Endugu was fire/cold immune so I needed help as there was no way Mirax was going to melee him to death.

Did I mention I don't like dolls?

Code:
Version 1.12
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     57      NM Pand. Fortress

Well done Mursilis! I don't think anyone likes dolls.

Mephisto is dead and Ceto is on to the River of Flame WP. It wasn't hard to find the stairs down and slow steady progress (and a few hirelings) led to Durrance 3. No problems there although there were some corner-loving boss Blood Lords that did not seem to want to stand in firewalls.

After clearing out the council on Durrance 3, I went from /players 1 to /players 8. I'm not sure if that actually had any effect, but in any case, Mephisto was not bad at all, lots of static to a sliver and then just a couple of orbs before he was gone. It was quick enough that a skill shrine didn't wear off during the battle. The merc actually survived the battle, so I was a little sad to step through the red portal to have to say goodbye to him. Particularly since he had so many fallen brothers along the way...

For A4, my plan was just to do an investigative forray at /players 1 and see if I could get to a WP, expecting to quit if the monster types were unfavorable. Teleporting through was good, no gloams, and Izual went down without much of a struggle. His Frost Nova hit pretty hard, though, even with 85 cold resistance. And the stairs down to the RoF were right next to the connection with the Plains of Despair, so I decided to teleport through to make the WP, which went fine.

Ceto could use some more levels so I'll have to figure out a good place for her to get experience before setting off for the CS.

@Silvio: I don't think any 3 socketed helms can drop until hell.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      68      Hell River of Flame
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     57      NM Pand. Fortress

Wow Purplelocust, you're almost there. Good luck with the last bit! :nod:

Mirax decided to brave the mercenaryless lands of Hell to see what she could do. Turns out she uses Blizzard way more than Fire ball when traveling alone. One shot to slow down the monsters and the repeated casts to take them out, with Fire balls thrown in from time to time. Thankfully no cold immunes in Nightmare, but the FI Doom Knights gave me kittens.

Far more often than I'd like they simply waltzed right through the Blizzard as if it wasn't there. This is attributed to the fact you can't actually aim the individual shards. This led to Mirax going back to her Normal difficulty strategy of freezing them with Glacial Spike and then a few Blizzards cast in slightly different spots to take out each Doom Knight. Very mana intensive this area is indeed.

Mirax dropped all her MF gear in exchange for resistance gear so she was as souped up as I could make her. This turned out to be very helpful as she got into repeated casting duels with packs of Oblivion Knights and Abyss Knights. She won as her Fire ball was just a bit more powerful then their spells. Wouldn't want to try it with -20 cold/poison resistance though, which is what she had before the gear changes.

The Chaos Sanctuary was packed full of OKs, including a boss pack and champion pack right next to each other. That casting duel Mirax wouldn't win, so it was back to dropping Blizzards on their heads as she ran around wildly avoiding their spell attacks.

Eventually she got through and faced Diablo. Unlike last time she has no intention of getting within melee range of him, so no Static Field attacks for her. Instead she took the safe route and simply kept casting Blizzard on Big D's head as she ran around him in circles avoiding the lightning hose and firewalls. He fell without much fanfare, and without providing any interesting loot for Mirax.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      68      Hell River of Flame
Mursilis        Mirax             Blizzballer     59      H Rogue Encampment

Congrats on beating NM Diablo, Mursilis. Good luck with Hell. GL to you too Purplelocust, hope the fight with Diablo goes well :D

As for me, Meph finally coughed up a rare weapon that was vaguely useful:

Cruel Needle
Gothic Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 27 to 102
Required Dexterity: 94
Required Strength: 76
Required Level: 30
Bow Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Standard
Item Level: 67
Fingerprint: 0x8fb41686
+104% Enhanced Damage
+88 to Attack Rating
+7 to Minimum Damage
4% Mana stolen per hit
Requirements -20%

Not too great but it was enough for me to build a new Bowazon around. Normal was pretty much a breeze using a succession of socketed Hunters Bow's. The first one was a self-assembled three chipped topaz bow, which lasted until level 15 when I twinked on two flawless topaz's and a flawless saphire. Finally at level 21 I switched to a 4 socket Razor Bow with three perfect topaz's and a perfect saphire, which unleashed all kinds of pwnage until I could use the Gothic Bow. I beat diablo at level 29, players8 all the way except for boss fights, where I turned it down to players1 like the sissy I am. She is now level 45 in Act II NM, just about to go see Fangskin about an amulet. Her skills are:

Passive:
7 Critical Strike (49%)
4 Pierce (49%)
4 Valk

Bow:
5 Cold Arrow
9 Frozen Arrow
10 Multi

Multi was my go-to skill all through normal but so far in NM I have been using FA more. Although those raptors in Act II are great MS fodder, I love seeing a whole flock of those little suckers all of a sudden flop on the ground. I am thinking I will max FA, then get Valk up to about 10, depending on how shes going and then finally max multi, with any remaining points going to cold arrow.

I also ran meph with my sorc from level 68-70, picking up that bow, a couple of uniques I didnt have before and some half-decent rares but nothing that comes close to that bow, which doesnt say a great deal. I need more MF something fierce.

Queen Ceto has killed Diablo!

I levelled her to 72 and then set out for a big push into the Chaos Santuary. I cleared out the River of Flame and worked slowly through the CS. Lure, orb everyone except the OKs, static them and then firewall them. No CI/LI bosses and everyime I saw a boss that wasn't I breathed a sigh of relief. The Grand Vizier was no problem, and after carefully clearing the middle I released DeSeis. Bad news, he was FI/CI so I could static him down to a sliver but I could not finish him off with Telekinesis. I thought that if I got him out of the CS it would be enough, like getting the minions out of the throne, so I worked him gingerly across the CS, thankful that I'd done a full clear. He wasn't so easy to lure, but I did find that TK was useful for pushing him around from time to time, and running up to him generally meant he would run the other way. After a lot of healing potions and patience, I got him outside the vestibule and teleported away to go face the Infector. He took some care but wasn't too bad- then no rumble, no Diablo. Ugh, I was going to have to kill DeSeis. I shopped a +3 Chain Lightning staff and tried that but it was just too dangerous losing resists. DeSeis was multishot extra strong and magic resistant, and I couldn't get him down low and his missles hurt too much. So I resigned myself to another effort.

The second effort I did a less thorough job clearing the CS, just clearing the arm containing DeSeis and he again was FI/CI so I abandoned for another go.

The third effort he was just CI, and after killing him I had no problem with the Grand Vizier. There were two bosses that I ended up parking up in the presbytery apse, CI/FI OKs. The Infector, this time, turned out to be FI/CI. Ugh. His pack was not a problem and I slivered him with static, seriously slivered him, and then set to work with telekineses (level 3, doing 3-4 damage.) Well, that was enough as he died after a bunch of TKs.

Diablo went down pretty easily. There was a skill shrine right next to the star which was handy and I tanked him, staticing him, until a couple of orbs could finish him off.

I do miss the "41 seconds until the game ends" part that doesn't happen in LoD.

I'll work on writing up a Queen thread and then I think I'll start a few other untwinked Classic projects after I give it some thought.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      72      H Diablo is vanquished

Last edited:

Grats Purp!

Updating ClassPSNama level 60 Hell Dark Wood
Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Ceto              Static/Orb      72      H Diablo is vanquished
asdfgah         ClassPSNama       psnJav/valk     60      Hell Dark Wood

Thanks for the congratulations! I still need to writeup a Queen thread for Ceto.

A new entry: Kui the drummer. My goal with him is just to get to normal Diablo and kill him. Restrictions:

1) only weapons allowed are wands
2) only combat skills are Double Swing, Bash and Leap
3) no muling on, of course

I've never made a Double Swing barb and the inspiration for this is threefold:

a) Sir Poopsalot's Mute Frog which sounded interesting
b) An old Quickdeath tourney with drummers to try to make it to the NM Cow King which I didn't enter but was curious about and followed
c) A desire for an interesting character with the Count title.

Classic doesn't have the big elemental damage modifiers for wands, so that's a big disadvantage for a Classic drummer. I don't think IAS can spawn on wands, so this could be problematic. But my goal is merely Count-dom. He won't need strength for his weapons so he can have plenty of life, so the problem will be killing things rather than surviving, I think.

I won't be using Sir Poopsalot's restriction on warcries (Mute= no warcries) as I'm sure I'll need warcries for crowd control and survival.

So far, Kui set out fine, discarding his equipment and punching until he had a wand drop, and then eventually another. It looks like it will be slow going at the beginning as I am playing /players 3 mostly. I bumped it up and reran the Blood Moor and the Cave and it was pretty slow at players 8. so I think I'll be on low player counts with some rerunning for a while. My hope for getting through the first act is gemmed wands and so far I've got one with a chipped ruby in it and the other one is just superior. There is kind of a funny swishing sound when he misses with his wands that I may end up hearing a lot of.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer          8      Cold Plains

It was slow going with Kui the drummer for a while- he wasn't able to kill Blood Raven and ran away cowering instead. It's pretty sad that the +50% damage to undead bonus is noticable on a weapon which does only 1-4 damage. But the Crypt was a good refuge from Blood Raven, and he made some progress improving his wands slightly and getting the Stony Field WP.

And it's better progress now that he can run Tristram. He's also been running Coldcrow in hopes of getting some Death's items. Those are a long shot, but he can stand the leveling and safety. He now can shop yew wands and those are an improvement damage-wise. Still going with socketed, one chipped ruby in each wand at the moment.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         14      Dark Wood

Andarial is dead (at players 1) and her quest gem drop was useless. A regular diamond- just about anything (besides a skull) would have been better. I had run Bone Ash repeatedly, in hopes of some useful drops, and got Gorefoot and some rares but nothing really that useful. I can't wait to get a cube in A2 to improve my gemmed weapons, and I'm looking forward to 2-socket wands which will be a huge improvement.

Code:
Version 1.12
Purplelocust    Kui               Drummer         18      Lut Golein

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High