Family Tournament Begins

I'm going to be absolutely shocked if any of these characters complete Normal, especially the Druid.

Speaking of, Coeus has by far the hardest time getting to the Outer Cloister. Probably had a lot to do with the fact he didn't find a single S/U and therefore was stuck with his starting gear the whole way. He couldn't hack it at higher player levels, so P5 all the way for him. Almost died in a few dozen locations, he couldn't drink health potions fast enough against basically every boss pack ever spawned. It was a fun day of running into a pack, turning around and scampering away and hoping only 1-2 monsters followed. Rinse and repeat.

Phoebe, on the other hand, has the easiest time of them all. She almost got to the OC without finding an ethereal weapon but alas that was ruined by a set of throwing knives in the Black Marsh. Ergo no more skills for Phoebe until she can roll a set of self-repair javelins from the three magical ethereal sets that the other characters found. Of course running the entire act on P1 does have a tad to do with her speed up to this point.

And lastly Leto, who has almost maxed out Firebolt up to this point. Starting was tough since she's not allowed a mercenary until Act II. But with quite a bit of luring monsters into darkened alleys to dispatch she has started to shine. Granted she is quaffing down mana potions like it's Spring Break, but they aren't too expensive so she'll manage.

One annoying part is that none of the characters have found a belt. Instead they are running around with their inventory half full of potions. Unfortunately that doesn't help so much in the heat of battle when they are surrounded, as the belt potions go quick.

Code:
[b][U][I]Family's Score[/I][/U][/b]
Family Name	Score	Last Trading Point Achieved
Theban          0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Phailstone      0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Broflovski      0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cius            0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Addams          -30     Act 1 OC
Pumpkins        -54     Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cunningham      -87     Act 1 Rogue Camp
Mursilis        -154    Act 1 Outer Cloister
Wolron          -154    Act 1 OC
Kennedy         -227    Act 1 OC

One quick rule clarification. For the Grab Bag restriction for not having equipment/charms that enhance attributes, does this apply only to Vitality-Energy-Strength-Dexterity or does this also apply to Life-Mana-Stamina?

Re: Family Tournament Begins

@Mursilis: A pm from Wolron

Wolron said:
phailstatus said:
you said:
(1) You may not carry charms or use equipment if they enhance an attribute. However, the mercenary does not need to follow this rule.

I know this rule regards strength, dexterity, vitality, and energy as attributes. Does this include life/mana as well?

It only includes the four attributes.

Have not concluded trading yet, but the eth/no metal char will be fully equipped except for shield (with a big-ol' spear on switch, even).

Sorry to be a bug bear but Spears are forbidden for the no metal restriction. Only javelins are allowed from the spear class weapons. I also got caught out by that one for some reason thinking they where allowed.

Everyone has safely reached the outer cloister and other than the merc-less mother no NDEs. We've even had great luck with getting equipment. Mr_Pa Phailstone's desire for shiny things led him to find not only a death's hand but also the Infernal Cranium. Pretty exciting considering two more pieces and I'd have a decent set. He does have to get rid of that old wand though, Shakra feels this felloak brings out Pa's eyes. She also found him some armor. Charsi was nice enough to sell mom a 3so Ringmail armor. Lopan is the only family member sporting a belt. Actually I'd say for a no strength ethereal gear only character he made out great. Check out his stash. The absolute best find was by Pa however. A Jewel of Envy that mom will be using along with some emeralds in a bow.

So far my character choices look pretty easy so I'm anxious to get through normal. Having a blast despite my low play hours this week. Now if I could just get Kashya to leave mom alone.

ps: I just got home and need to walk the dog. I'll edit in my score afterwards.

@phailstatus: Yeah, Kashya's a pest, she chased Wednesday around all of Act 1. Then when the young sorc got to Act 2 and hired a merc, she immediately died. Ironic...

Okay I truly am a batch of fail; this was suppose to get edited into my post above but since I was quoting to get the code I jacked it all up haha. Well here it is regardless.

Code:
Phailstone      -178    Act 1 OC
Wolron          -154    Act 1 OC

One annoying part is that none of the characters have found a belt. Instead they are running around with their inventory half full of potions. Unfortunately that doesn't help so much in the heat of battle when they are surrounded, as the belt potions go quick.

One quick rule clarification. For the Grab Bag restriction for not having equipment/charms that enhance attributes, does this apply only to Vitality-Energy-Strength-Dexterity or does this also apply to Life-Mana-Stamina?

I can sympathize with the belt situation. It does make survival a bit more difficult.

As for the attributes, the only ones that apply are strength, dexterity, vitality and energy. These are the ones that must be evenly assigned according to the first attribute restriction.

Sorry to be a bug bear but Spears are forbidden for the no metal restriction. Only javelins are allowed from the spear class weapons. I also got caught out by that one for some reason thinking they where allowed.

Me: Ok, everyone all set for Andariel?

Jackie: Um, no.

Me: What's the problem?

Jackie: You see that metal?

Me: What metal?

Jackie: That metal waaaay down at the end of the spear. Does it look like jewelry to you, Sherlock?

Me: Um, no.

@Cius--I did catch that before they set out from the OC. But I have another problem and I don't know if it correctable:

Oneofakind:
Through judicious use of exp shrines, even my /p1 guy has enough levels to pull a big negative score, as he enters the Highlands

From http://www.purediablo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722501

Aconite:
Once you type /players3 it will stay set until you shut down the game - you can save/exit and start again without resetting each time.

I did not know this, and it is likely I played one segment on /p8 (paladin's) or /p7 (sorc's) setting by mistake by switching between chars, assuming /p resets to 1. (When all you are doing is walking along behind your skellies with your finger on alt, periodically staying "Oooh, shiney!" anything is possible for /p, I guess)

Recap: I did not knowingly break a rule, but level 15 at the OC is implausible for /p1, despite 3 exp shrines, so I would guess that I did what is described above. So what would be an appropriate penalty?

The short answer is any penalty Wolron chooses. Possibilities include:
Execute the offending necro
Void the entire tourney entry
"Rush" the char to Andy, killing as little as possible and picking up nothing...and/or cap his level entering act 2 at the highest level achieved by any of the /p1 chars (I would have to wait a while to see what that was)

I would vote for the last one, but it will not be easy, since there are no more "side" dungeons. Obviously skipping the big batch of monsters in the Cathedral, including super unique Bone Ash, shoud not be a problem, but without knowing the map, other areas could be tough.

Recap: I did not knowingly break a rule, but level 15 at the OC is implausible for /p1, despite 3 exp shrines, so I would guess that I did what is described above. So what would be an appropriate penalty?

The short answer is any penalty Wolron chooses. Possibilities include:
Execute the offending necro
Void the entire tourney entry
"Rush" the char to Andy, killing as little as possible and picking up nothing...and/or cap his level entering act 2 at the highest level achieved by any of the /p1 chars (I would have to wait a while to see what that was)

I would vote for the last one, but it will not be easy, since there are no more "side" dungeons. Obviously skipping the big batch of monsters in the Cathedral, including super unique Bone Ash, shoud not be a problem, but without knowing the map, other areas could be tough.

I'm the last one that would decide any penalty. I know my players1 necro hit all areas available to him on the way to OC, and did get to level 14, so I don't think you are too far off. He was lucky with exp shrines, maybe 5 of them. I suspect he will hit level 17 before traveling East.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 2 of 3 at OC, will update score once Howard (barb) gets there.

One of Marion's (zon) NDE was really boneheaded. Fighting some baddies I think in the Underground Passage, and was about 3/4 life, when I accidentally hit a fire shrine, down under 1/4 life and still baddies to deal with. I had been pumping vitality, otherwise, she may have been a goner. :hang:

Mournblade

Me: Ok, everyone all set for Andariel?

I agree. My necromancer has just finished Act 1 on P1 and managed to achieve level 16. I guess he might have gotten to level 17 if I had not skipped a couple spots, but that is iffy.

Your indiscretion helped you in two ways. Rushing through the rest of Act 1 will get your level back in line. The other advantage is that you get better drops on P8. Therefore, you must not pick up anything but potions/scrolls/keys/bolts/arrows/sets/uniques. I could never ask anyone to pass up a S/U in this tournament. Besides, if you are rushing, you probably will not see any of them. By the way, that means not opening any chests. I will allow you to pick up the Andariel drop though. You have to have something to look forward to.

The Wolron family has finished Act 1. There was one very nice find. The unique Scimitar (Blood Crescent) will really help Arrielle by providing +15 resist all. I doubt if she will be swinging it very much though.

Bradley embued an ethereal pair of heavy boots and got his first rare ethereal item. Nothing great:

Hailstone Nails
Heavy Boots
Defense: 12
Durability: 8 of 8
Required Strength: 8
Required Level: 9
+8 to Maximum Stamina
+20% Enhanced Defense
Poison Resist +10%
10% Faster Run/Walk
Poison Length Reduced by 25%
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Frost Nova when struck
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

All characters have 10 WPs and 5 quests. Bradley has the sixth quest because he used his embue.
Score:
Bradley level 16 (21312): 9 x 0 = 0
Alexis level 20 (32123): 11 x -5 = -55
Arrielle level 20(13231): 10 x -5 = -50

Code:
Wolron          -105    Act 2 Lut Gholein

Thanks for the quick and just ruling. I'd just like to point out that it is POTENTIAL drops that improve on /p8...actual mileage can vary. Or to say it another way "better drops" can still be total garbage...

Thanks for the quick and just ruling. I'd just like to point out that it is POTENTIAL drops that improve on /p8...actual mileage can vary. Or to say it another way "better drops" can still be total garbage...

It sounds like you are blessed with the same sort of luck that I have.:thumbup:

The good news is that I am 1/3 of the way to completing the tourney! The bad news is that we have our first Dead Kennedy. I officially just can't play a no vit HC char...sigh. She dealt, badly, with an extra fast archer pack (3 TPs to heal and restock potions--and she even had a sash, then), then (without restocking again) immediately ran into a group of champion goatmen. Deeds.
Score: -88
Jackie level 16 (13-16)*13 = -39 (RIP)
Johnef level 18 (13-18)*8 = -40
Junior level 16 (15-16)*9 = -9

Junior sprinted to his showdown with Andariel, gaining little exp and nothing else (at least Andy dropped a topaz). Obviously I used no skellies, and summoned gumby just to distract inconveniently placed baddies, then unsummoned him. I'm sure the merc got a few kills, just because of /p1, but I definately complied with the spirit of the penalty.

Johnef is happy to get his first point in H Freeze, which is already pretty strongly synergized with 9 in resist cold (zeal-4, might-1, sacrifice-1, prayer-1, vengence-1, I guess that means I still have 1 pt unassigned). Bowless act 1 merc still can't kill much, even when I sliver it for her, but she won't be around for much longer. Soon, spearless act 2 merc! Blessed aim, I guess, since the other two have even less value at this point.

Code:
Kennedy         -88    Act 1 OC
Wolron          -105    Act 2 Lut Gholein

Of course, the next family is already planned. The assassins: Mom Lee (an assassin, of course), Dad Harvey (barbarian), and son Oswald (druid). More on them as more Kennedies perish.

The Wolron family is making progress, but some of it has been scary.

Bradley has enjoyed playing the first half of Act 2 at P2. He has reached level 20 and is the high scorer for the team. Alexis found a 2 socketed ethereal helm for him, so he is contemplating what he can do with that. Lore seems like a good idea, but it will take quite a long time to come up with ORT SOL. Maybe he will just put a couple good jewels in it and hope for more socketed ethereal items in the later stages of normal difficulty.

Arrielle has toned back to P1 so that she does not gain too many levels in act 2. It is working so far. She has reached level 23. My guess is that she will achieve level 25 by the end of Act 2, but I am hoping for level 24. THat will save as much leveling as possible for later acts.

Alexis is the most precarious of the family members. Her lack of vitality is the major problem, but her rather slow kill ability is another weakness. The rogue merc does a better job than Alexis. The worst battle came at the very end of this session. She was going into the claw viper temple to get the amulet. If I had realized how tough level two was going to be, I would have backed off of P8 when she went down there. Fangskin was his usual self (extra fast and lightning enchanted). He had a half dozen salamanders with him that were just as fast. That would have been enough to give Alexis a major challenge, but the six Guardians and their skeletons/ghouls were a bit much. Alexis had just gotten her decoy skill, so she threw down a decoy when she entered Fangskin's lair. He and his cohorts immediately fell upon the decoy and finished her off in about five seconds. THat gave ALexis enough time to kill one of the salamanders; the rogue merc got one too. Alexis thought that it might be a good idea to run past the salamanders and try to fight from the other side. That was a mistake. Although I could not count them at that time, the six guardians and their minions were quite a maze to run through. AFter slurping down four full rejuv potions and bouncing off several of the opposition, Alexis managed to skate past the salamanders and exit the level. That meant going back to Lut Gholein and retrieving her last full rejuv along with a few more light healing potions. (Of course, having no belt makes those potions a bit difficult to manage when things get dicey.) The next time down into the lair was a little bit less risky. The salamanders had moved back into the rear of the area so Alexis and the merc could enter without immediate attack. The decoy was placed and the rest of the salamanders were killed as they mobbed the decoy. Fangskin managed to survive that battle, but he could not survive the next one without his helpers. During all this time, the guardians stayed put in the back areas of the lair. It took quite a while to slowly pick off their minions and kill them. When it was all over, this old man's heart was pounding a bit more than was comfortable. (Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has ever had a heart attack while playing Diablo:scratchchin:)

I guess it is time to go back and try to fill a few sockets in Alexis' gear. Maybe that will make her a bit more formidable. (Probably not!)

Here is the score:

All characters have 15 WPs and 7 quests. Bradley has the eighth quest because he used his embue.

Score:
Bradley level 20 (21312): 9 x 3 = 27
Alexis level 24 (32123): 11 x -2 = -22
Arrielle level 23(13231): 10 x -1 = -10

Rats, that is -5 and we are still negative!

Code:
Wolron          -5      Act 2 The Staff is cubed
Kennedy         -88     Act 1 OC

@Wolron: Impressive footwork by Alexis in the Viper Temple, with it being that crowded down, extra fast bosspack, & no vitality....very nice.

The Cunninghams are all at the OC waypoint. Howard finally made it there a couple nights ago. Howard has a couple ethereal javelins and an ethereal sash for Marion, but that is really all she has other than her jewelry. I need to hold off on using those, and make sure she has a javelin and sash for the Andy battle. I foresee more bloody knuckles in her future.

Other nice finds along the way are Biggin's Bonnet(uni cap), Cleglaw's Claw(shield), Death's Hand, and Howard had a last minute find from the chest that sits between Monastery doors, and the door to the OC waypoint. Arctic Furs. Howard also found or bought a large shield with 3 sockets, waiting for the cube before socketing with diamonds.

Howard Bar (13121) Difficulty 8, 4Q, 6WPs, L16 = -48
Marion Zon (22313) Difficulty 11, 3Qs, 6WPs, L15 = -66
Richie Nec (31232) Difficulty 11, 4Qs, 6WPs, L14 = -44
Cunningham current score: -158

Code:
Wolron          -5      Act 2 The Staff is cubed
Cunningham      -158    Act 1 OC

Wolron says:
The unique Scimitar (Blood Crescent) will really help Arrielle by providing +15 resist all. I doubt if she will be swinging it very much though.

How sweet would that have been for my Paladin, replacing the starter short sword! But no, what I get is:

One-Hand Damage: 7 To 19 (13 Avg)
Required Level: 10
Required Strength: 25
Required Dexterity: 25
Durability: 32
Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
+50% Enhanced Damage
Adds 3-7 Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
7% Mana Stolen Per Hit
+10 To Dexterity**
+10 To Strength**

**unusable

I'll post my end act 1 numbers later. With 20RS (+4 from gear) and all the vit he wants, Junior feels pretty safe.

The Wolron Family has complete act 2 and finished their trading session.

Arrielle has four s/u items: Arctic binding belt, Nagelring, Blood Crescent Scimitar and Milabrega's Orb Kite Sheld. Those are pretty nice. The act 3 merc has Hsarus' Iron Fist shield and there is a Cleglaw's Claw shield gathering dust in the ATMA file.

In her scavenger act 3 she will go with Static Field. In act 4 she will go with warmth. Both of those acts will be played mostly at P8 because she wants to get to level 29 before moving on to Act 5 where she will concentrate on Frozen Orb. She will have to kill Diablo with static field and a point in Blizzard. Oh well, she has to get that far first.

Alexis is using her bow to great advantage and has gotten to level 28. She traded in her rogue merc for an Act 3 merc to get the added freeze spells. Her decoy has five points and is a wonderful diversion. She has no vitality, but her charms raise her life from 104 to 161. That is even higher than Arrielle's 154 life. Thus, she is surviving pretty well.

Bradley has his bone spear and is building it up. The clay golem is his decoy. He will be moving to P3 in act 3, but that is still pretty low. He should survive a while longer.

The last of the three embues were completed with Alexis embuing this ethereal pair of chain gloves for Bradley:

Storm Finger
Chain Gloves
Defense: 21
Durability: 9 of 9
Required Strength: 15
Required Level: 19
+2 to Strength
+3 to Dexterity
+41% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +24%
14% Chance to cast Level 5 Charged Bolt when struck

Here is the score:

All characters have 19 WPs and 12 quests.

Score:
Bradley level 22 (21312): 9 x 9 = 81
Alexis level 28 (32123): 11 x 3 = 33
Arrielle level 24(13231): 10 x 7 = 70

That adds up to 184! I think I will give the other families a chance to catch up while I play some Titan Quest or Oblivion.

Code:
Wolron         184      Act 3 Start

Well, unfortunately the HIlls have suffered their first loss. Peggy got cornered by a pack of Goatboy Champions in the Forgotten Tower. Without a belt, I just couldn't keep the potions going fast enough. Hank is waiting at the Outer Cloister WP for Bobby. Best find so far is a Felloak club by Hank, which will go to Bobby who is still stuck with his original little axe. I think I made a mistake on Bobby by combining the Set and Unique items only rule with the No metallic items rule. I didn't leave myself many options. We'll see how it goes. I am adding the Hills to the table. I will update their scores when Bobby gets to the Outer Cloister.

Code:
Hill            0       Act 1 Rogue Camp 

Apparently the Mursilis family decided to take their ball and go home, just forgot to let me know. Very little in the way of trading happened at the OC, as I really didn't find much to switch other than a Felloak for Coeus. Phoebe was doing ok moving through the catacombs, she had gotten all the way down to Andariel's level when she suddenly became stuck on a tile and couldn't move no matter which way she tried. Before she could cast a TP (darn that slow animation) a pack of ghouls sauntered over (extra strong of course) and pummeled her.

Ok, unluckly but two still alive. With that in mind Coeus started to trek through the Barracks. Saw a pack of skeleton archers behind some boxes and began to engage them. Used a few potions but nothing terrible, then suddenly he was cursed, have his life dropped to zero, shapechanged out of werebear form and died within 2 seconds. Not having a belt really hurt here, but the no vitality restriction and overconfidence is probably what really killed him.

After that Leto simply couldn't go on without the rest of her family and packed it in.

Interesting tournament, but I do think the restrictions were driving me nuts and after actually playing my characters I realized none of them really had a chance of becoming a guardian, not well enough planned out.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Code:
Hill            0       Act 1 Rogue Camp