Family Tournament Begins

Re: Family Tournament Begins

I can't remember the last time I had an NDE to corpsefire and his undead pack...and Jackie, the nude, no-vit sorc had two! Of course, getting out of bed is pretty much an NDE for her. It will be a miracle if she lives to see her act 2 merc.

Highlights so far: For those of you who know me, you know I always whine about my bad luck. I have had great luck so far in this one...sort of! My S/U char found a green buckler in the masoleum... Wow! Um, except for that part about the +10 str for a no + attribute char. Then my eth/non-metal char found an orb...with a useful passive skill (+3 warmth)...of self-repair!

Last edited:

Code:
[b][U][I]Family Designs[/I][/U][/b]
[U]Family      Father              Mother                Child              .[/U]
Wolron      Bradley Nec(21312)  Alexis    Zon(32123)  Arrielle  Sor(13231)
Addams      Gomez   Nec(31133)  Morticia  Asn(13221)  Wednesday Sor(22312)
Theban      Amun    Nec(22323)  Mut       Asn(13231)  Khonsu    Dru(31112)
Phailstone  Mr_Pa   Nec(31223)  Shakra    Sor(12111)  Lopan     Dru(23332)
Broflovski  Gerald  Nec(21232)  Sheila    Sor(12323)  Ike       Bar(33111)
Kennedy     Johnef  Pal(11231)  Jackie    Sor(33313)  Junior    Nec(22122)
Cius        John    Dru(13221)  Jean      Zon(22132)  James     Nec(31313)
Pumpkins    Billy   Bar(23323)  D’Arcy    Asn(32232)  Jimmy     Dru(11111)
Cunningham  Howard  Bar(13121)  Marion    Zon(22313)  Richie    Nec(31232)

Code:
[b][U][I]Family's Score[/I][/U][/b]
Family Name	Score	Last Trading Point Achieved
Wolron          0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Addams          0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Theban          0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Phailstone      0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Broflovski      0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Kennedy         0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cius            0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Pumpkins        0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cunningham      0	Act 1 Rogue Camp

Thanks for pointing that out Wolron. My plan was to play the Dad with S/U gear. I'll repost the table since its a new page.

I haven't been in a tournament for a while, so think I'll join this insane one. Interesting idea Wolron, seems you've sucked me into another one. Have to finish up my current character first though, so won't start right away. This took me quite a while to come up with what is hopefully viable characters.

Mursilis Family

Father is Coeus, a Druid; he will have no vitality (3), he will use only the Shapeshifting tree skills (2), he will use only set and unique items (2), he will rotate his mercenary by act (3), and he will avoid attribute enhancements in all charms and equipment (1).

Mother is Phoebe, an Amazon; she will assign her attributes evenly (1), she will only assign skills at level 18 or lower (1), she will wear only ethereal items (3), she will use a ranged mercenary (2), and she will play increasing players levels (2).

Daughter is Leto, a Sorceress; she will have no strength (2), she will use the scavenger apprentice skill method (3), she will wear only crafted/socketed/runeword items (1), she will use a melee mercenary (1), and she will use only non-metallic items (3).

Coeus-Druid (32231)
Phoebe-Amazon (11322)
Leto-Sorceress (23113)

Code:
[b][U][I]Family Designs[/I][/U][/b]
[U]Family      Father              Mother                Child              .[/U]
Wolron      Bradley Nec(21312)  Alexis    Zon(32123)  Arrielle  Sor(13231)
Addams      Gomez   Nec(31133)  Morticia  Asn(13221)  Wednesday Sor(22312)
Theban      Amun    Nec(22323)  Mut       Asn(13231)  Khonsu    Dru(31112)
Phailstone  Mr_Pa   Nec(31223)  Shakra    Sor(12111)  Lopan     Dru(23332)
Broflovski  Gerald  Nec(21232)  Sheila    Sor(12323)  Ike       Bar(33111)
Kennedy     Johnef  Pal(11231)  Jackie    Sor(33313)  Junior    Nec(22122)
Cius        John    Dru(13221)  Jean      Zon(22132)  James     Nec(31313)
Pumpkins    Billy   Bar(23323)  D’Arcy    Asn(32232)  Jimmy     Dru(11111)
Cunningham  Howard  Bar(13121)  Marion    Zon(22313)  Richie    Nec(31232)
Mursilis    Coeus   Dru(32231)  Phoebe    Zon(11322)  Leto      Sor(23113)

Code:
[b][U][I]Family's Score[/I][/U][/b]
Wolron          0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Addams          0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Theban          0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Phailstone      0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Broflovski      0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Kennedy         0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cius            0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Pumpkins        0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cunningham      0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Mursilis        0       Act 1 Rogue Camp

Last edited:

The Addams family is relaxing at the Outer Cloister WP, celebrating with leftover potions and telling tall tales of NDEs, monster-slaying, and graverobbing. Not to mention the swap-meet.

The score: Each player is at level 13, and they've all been to 6 WPs and completed 4 quests. (I'm counting Wednesday as having completed the Blood Raven quest even though she couldn't accept the mercenary to turn this quest gray.) So each one's base score is -3 :surprise: Is this right?
Gomez (31132): 10 X -3 = -30
Morticia (13221): 9 X -3 = -27
Wednesday (22313): 11 X -3 = -33
This is a tad discouraging...

Code:
[I]Family's Score[/I]
Wolron                   0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Addams                -90        Act 1 Outer Cloister
Theban                  0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Phailstone              0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Broflovski               0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Kennedy                0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cius                      0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Pumpkins               0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cunningham           0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Mursilis                  0         Act 1 Rogue Camp

Edit:
RIP Gomez Addams, level 14 necromancer, died in jail. Survived by his loving wife and daughter, Morticia and Wednesday.

Last edited:

The score: Each player is at level 13, and they've all been to 6 WPs and completed 4 quests. (I'm counting Wednesday as having completed the Blood Raven quest even though she couldn't accept the mercenary to turn this quest gray.) So each one's base score is -3 :surprise: Is this right?
Gomez (31132): 10 X -3 = -30
Morticia (13221): 9 X -3 = -27
Wednesday (22313): 11 X -3 = -33
This is a tad discouraging...

Edit:
RIP Gomez Addams, level 14 necromancer, died in jail. Survived by his loving wife and daughter, Morticia and Wednesday.

Your score calculation is correct. Yes, negative scores will be typical until sometime in the second act.

Sorry to hear about Gomez. May he rest in peace.

The Summers Family (tables stolen shamelesslessy)

Father Hank is a paladin. He believes in being even-keeled and in getting his hands dirty. Yes, I will attempt a melee characters. His emotional distance has led to estrangement from his family and co-workers.

Restrictions will be: Even stat distribution (1), Scavenger's apprentice (3), Socketed/crafted gear (1), Act specific merc (3), No attribute boosting equipment (1).
Scavenger skills: Sacrifice, Zeal, Holy Freeze, vengeance, Salvation, Resist Cold, redemption, resist lightning

Mother Joyce is a sorceress. She sticks to lightning with none of that fancy multiple-tree stuff the kids use these days and dresses simply, with no shiny shirts and such, but also distinctively. Her job isn't very physical, so she's a bit out of shape.

Restrictions will be: No Strength (2), Single tree (lightning) (2), Set/Unique only (2), Melee only merc (1), no metallic items (3)

Daughter is Buffy, an Amazon. She's young and hasn't yet built up the durability that a a lifetime of hard knocks will bring you. She also hasn't learned how to use skills over level 18 yet, but has a good throwing arm and may have a future in softball. She's still growing and none of her clothes seem to last long.

Restrictions: No Vitality (3), 18 and under skills (1), Ethereal items (3), ranged mercs (2), reverse player settings (2)

Code:
[highlight]SummersFamily[/highlight]
[b][u]Character   Class              Attr Skill Equip  Merc    GB   [/u][/b]
Hank(9)    Paladin(13131)          1     3     1     3     1       
Joyce(10)  Sorceress(22213)        2     2     2     1     3       
Buffy(11)  Amazon(31322)           3     1     3     2     2

Code:
[I]Family's Score[/I]
Wolron                   0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Addams                -90        Act 1 Outer Cloister
Theban                  0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Phailstone              0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Broflovski               0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Kennedy                0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cius                      0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Pumpkins               0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cunningham           0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Mursilis                  0         Act 1 Rogue Camp
Summers                   0         Act 1 Rogue Camp

I lost Morticia Addams to Radament. This leaves only Wednesday, whom I expected to die first...highest difficulty rating and no merc till Act 2. She's about to head down into the Lut Gholein sewers.

Morticia's final score: Difficulty 9 X (11 WPs + 6 quests - 17 levels) = 0

I haven't seen any more scores. How's everyone else doing?

Edit: Oops! So much for the Addams family...

Wednesday's final score was also 0: 10 WPs + 6 quests - 16 levels. So the total score for the family was Gomez -30 + Morticia 0 + Wednesday 0 = -30.

Ah well, back to my current sept.

Last edited:

@JayeM
Sorry to hear about the Addams family.

I played the Cunninghams some today. Howard and Marion both completed Den and grabbed the Cold Plains WP. Richie went a bit further clearing through Dark Wood, completing Den, Bloodraven, and Cain. Richie, being a summoner, shouldn't have any problem, assuming I don't do anything stupid like stand too close to a CE boss with his no vitality. Marion, the amazon is the one I am worried about. I thought javelins had no durability, so my plan was to have her using ethereal, non-metallic javelins, but they do lose quantity during melee. Ugghhh. She should be ok as long as she can get to Act 2 for the melee merc. Howard found her a couple eth. javelins, so once they both make the outer cloister, she might have a surplus of them, who knows.

Howard Bar (13121) Difficulty 8, 1Q, 2WPs, L6 = -24
Marion Zon (22313) Difficulty 11, 1Qs, 2WPs, L5 = -22
Richie Nec (31232) Difficulty 11, 3Qs, 4WPs, L10 = -33
Cunningham current score: -79

I'll update the score to the table once they all get to the OC trade point.

Rule clarification: is Buffy obligated to switch to an athereal weapon when she finds one, regardless of other factors? Is she allowed to got back to her starting javelins?

@AceOfSevens: I don't think so, but she's not required to use a javelin. My ethereal character hung onto every eth weapon she found just in case. She used an eth sword for melee to keep the durability of her orb from running out. Mournblade, you might consider this too.

Rule clarification: is Buffy obligated to switch to an athereal weapon when she finds one, regardless of other factors? Is she allowed to got back to her starting javelins?

I was wondering this myself. I assumed once I found an ethereal weapon that met other restrictions (for Marion, my passive/magic skills zon, it would have to be non-metallic and I would need enough strength) I was required to use it instead of my starter javelins. On a related note, say I find a eth. club and that breaks before finding another qualifying item, can I go back to starter javelins or am I stuck with fists. :scratchchin:

On a side note, she dumped her starting bucker at the beginning, as it's metal.

I lost Morticia Addams to Radament. This leaves only Wednesday, whom I expected to die first...highest difficulty rating and no merc till Act 2. She's about to head down into the Lut Gholein sewers.

Morticia's final score: Difficulty 9 X (11 WPs + 6 quests - 17 levels) = 0

I haven't seen any more scores. How's everyone else doing?

Edit: Oops! So much for the Addams family...

Wednesday's final score was also 0: 10 WPs + 6 quests - 16 levels. So the total score for the family was Gomez -30 + Morticia 0 + Wednesday 0 = -30.

Ah well, back to my current sept.

Ouch, ouch and ouch. But, there are still Addams family reruns on cable.:whistling:

Remember, if you try another family, use different character types.

It appears that this tournament may be as difficult as a lot of folks thought it was going to be. I have not started my family out yet because I wanted a few of you to set a target. Well, we do have a target. Now I must overcome justifiable fear and get my team underway. Or, maybe I will procrastinate a while longer.....

Yes. The reason for allowing the starting gear is that some people were really nervous about going without a weapon. However, once you find an ethereal weapon that meets all of your equipment restrictions (it could be a club), you have to use it and toss (or sell) your javelins. Probably no big deal, because if you are like me you would have thrown your last one at some quill rat long ago.

Go back??? Not at all. Once that last javelin is gone, or once you find an ethereal weapon, you cannot use the starting javelins again.

I was under the impression that even the starter equipment has to fit your restrictions, or can't be used. So you'd be left with punching only with your Amazon until an ethereal item is found. At least that's what I was planning on...

No, it is not that bad. Here is the equipment restriction section included in the first post:

These are the three types of equipment restrictions that may be selected. Each member of the family must select a different equipment restriction so that all three are utilized by one of your characters. [Highlight]Starting equipment may be used only until they are replaced by equipment that agrees with your restriction.[/Highlight] The Anya quest personalization reward is a wild card that can be used by your character. This may help to soften the very tough restrictions that apply to equipment. (Throwing potions are always allowed)

(1) You can only wear crafted, socketed or rune word items. Jewelry must be crafted. Socketed items do not have to have their sockets filled to be worn. Any item with sockets can be used (yellow, blue, gray, S/U). The socketing quest in act 5 could be very useful for the family member with this restriction.
(2) Set and unique items only. That includes jewelry.
(3) You can only wear ethereal items. Ethereal items that repair themselves will be treasured! This does not apply to jewelry, but it does apply to all weapons and anything you wear other than jewelry. If you embue an ethereal item, it may remain ethereal (it did for me, but I am not sure it always will).

HELP!!!!

I seem to have a problem. I have not played Diablo II since sometime in October. I have had hard drive problems a couple times and have had to reinstall Diablo II and the LOD expansion. Today I decided to start my family on their trek. I put my Expansion disk into the DVD drive. I clicked on my DII icon. I found that I had no characters defined. I expected that I would have a whole lot of old characters to select from because I restored my save area from backups that I had taken long before my hard drive crashed. However, there were no old characters. Undaunted (but a bit confused) by that, I created my first character. I selected necromancer and expected to be able to select HARDCORE. But there was no screen that asked my to select HARDCORE or SOFTCORE.

Now, in ATMA, I can find my old characters, but they do not seem to be found by the game. Could it be because all those old characters are HARDCORE characters?????

I have probably done something really stupid, but any ideas on just what it is would be appreciated. I am playing around with the idea of uninstalling it and then reinstalling, but I will wait until people have a chance to provide any suggestions that might make a reinstall unnecessary.

P.S. I also seem to remember that their were other video options other than 480x640 and 800x600. Is it just because I have been playing newer games lately that I expected to see 1024x768????

The Anya quest personalization reward is a wild card that can be used by your character. This may help to soften the very tough restrictions that apply to equipment.

Ha, guess I was making it just a tad too hard eh?

Are your saved characters and your DII comparable versions? In other words try updating to 1.12 and see what happens.

480x640 and 800x600 are the only options for screen resolution. There is a Glide Wrapper around somewhere, but don't think that gives larger resolutions, just stretches your playable screen when your monitor is set to larger resolution.

My guess is that you reinstalled DII. You can only access HC chars after you have beaten the game in SC (normal difficulty, that is). So you may need to rush a char through normal first, then start your family in HC. Get someone to send you a SC Kalim's Will?

Or you can play SC until first death, of course.

Yes. The reason for allowing the starting gear is that some people were really nervous about going without a weapon. However, once you find an ethereal weapon that meets all of your equipment restrictions (it could be a club), you have to use it and toss (or sell) your javelins. Probably no big deal, because if you are like me you would have thrown your last one at some quill rat long ago.

Go back??? Not at all. Once that last javelin is gone, or once you find an ethereal weapon, you cannot use the starting javelins again.

Crap. I found an ethereal axe, finally, but I suspect it won't last until the first trade point and at the rate eths pop up, I likely won't find another one either. My Rogue has little killing power thanks to being unable to use a weapon. This may be over quickly.

Oh and point of clarification: for the socketed/crafted character, you say jewelery must be crafted. I assume the same is true of belt, boots and gloves?

My guess is that you reinstalled DII. You can only access HC chars after you have beaten the game in SC (normal difficulty, that is). So you may need to rush a char through normal first, then start your family in HC. Get someone to send you a SC Kalim's Will?

Or you can play SC until first death, of course.

Oh yes, that is true. I wonder if I will finally be able to see all those old characters when I beat the game in SC. Probably.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High