Family Tournament Begins

Re: Family Tournament Begins

I thought mercs where exempt from all equipment restrictions??? Wolron?

And ouch on the crafting belt/boots/gloves story. Never thought of that. I just read through the Green with envy tournament again to figure out how Insane Wayne managed with his bowler druid and noticed that in that tourney you where allowed to equip white or grey items until a suitable green item dropped at which point you had to swap in the relevant item. So perhaps we could wear white items until we find the cube or something for those characters as no belt is gonna be harsh in the Andariel fight especially. Same for the set unique category?

I thought mercs where exempt from all equipment restrictions??? Wolron?

And ouch on the crafting belt/boots/gloves story. Never thought of that. I just read through the Green with envy tournament again to figure out how Insane Wayne managed with his bowler druid and noticed that in that tourney you where allowed to equip white or grey items until a suitable green item dropped at which point you had to swap in the relevant item. So perhaps we could wear white items until we find the cube or something for those characters as no belt is gonna be harsh in the Andariel fight especially. Same for the set unique category?

The only equipment restriction that does not apply to mercenaries is the grab bag restriction of No Metallic equipment.

I just got Papa Gomez started and while he was having fun throwing his teeth at the critters in the Den, a couple of questions occurred to me:

1) Do the equipment restrictions make throwing potions unusable?

2) Can we mule things off at other WPs as long as we don't take anything out of the stash except at the trading points?

I also realized that Gomez, with the socketed/crafted gear, won't have a belt until late in Act 2, since he not only needs the Cube, but a perfect gem for crafting. Eek! This applies to boots and gloves too, but they're not as important as the belt. Too bad Charsi's imbued item doesn't count as crafted...

<noob>Um, how do you set the players 1, players 2, etc.? </noob>

(1) No, throwing potions are free to use for any character.
(2) Yes, the only restriction on the use of ATMA is that you cannot trade any items that were found after the trade point. Therefore, if you do take a family member beyond the trade point, you should establish a new ATMA stash for that character to mule into.

As for Gomez, he will have a problem for a while, but what about Morticia? Set and Unique belts may not pop up quickly either. Good Luck!

If you have the following combination:
(3) Limits himself to ethereal equipment (difficulty 3)
(4) Uses only a range mercenary (difficulty 2)
(5) Uses no metallic equipment. (difficulty 3)

Then theoretically your merc will never have a weapon, as you can't get ethereal bows (for an act 1 merc), and you can't get non-metallic swords (for an act 3 merc). Can a ranged merc with the eth equipment restriction use a bow?

I will need clarification on this point too, If it stays such that the merc cannot use a weapon than I will have to change the merc restrictions around.

I've come across a potential anomaly, which I can illustrate with your example:

If you have the following combination:
(3) Limits himself to ethereal equipment (difficulty 3)
(4) Uses only a range mercenary (difficulty 2)
(5) Uses no metallic equipment. (difficulty 3)

Then theoretically your merc will never have a weapon, as you can't get ethereal bows (for an act 1 merc), and you can't get non-metallic swords (for an act 3 merc). Can a ranged merc with the eth equipment restriction use a bow?

I'd actually played my first character through to the Outer Cloister, then started the second and realised the issue. If you could please clarify, I may have to replan and start again. :(

Cheers,
Butz. :coffee:

First of all, the instructions do make an exception for the metallic restriction. It does not apply to mercenaries. Second, the personalization quest item can be loaned to the mercenary if your character is generous.

Also, the act 3 range mercenary might be preferred in this case. (Remember, the weapon is almost useless for this merc. He uses his cold spell almost exclusively and will only use the sword when pressed in tight corners.) Using a rogue merc for the first two acts should work because she will be using that invisible bow that she starts out with.

I played the weaponless tournament with an Amazon and an act 3 mercenary. Of course, Hell Baal was a problem, but when I picked up a weapon to finish him off and get my guardian, the forum was full of people who told me how to kill him without that weapon.

I would like to challenge you and the others to try to avoid the obvious solution which would be using the melee merc with the ethereal restriction.

First of all, the instructions do make an exception for the metallic restriction. It does not apply to mercenaries. Second, the personalization quest item can be loaned to the mercenary if your character is generous.

Also, the act 3 range mercenary might be preferred in this case. (Remember, the weapon is almost useless for this merc. He uses his cold spell almost exclusively and will only use the sword when pressed in tight corners.) Using a rogue merc for the first two acts should work because she will be using that invisible bow that she starts out with.

I played the weaponless tournament with an Amazon and an act 3 mercenary. Of course, Hell Baal was a problem, but when I picked up a weapon to finish him off and get my guardian, the forum was full of people who told me how to kill him without that weapon.

I would like to challenge you and the others to try to avoid the obvious solution which would be using the melee merc with the ethereal restriction.

Those are two good points, I didn't really think of them, I think I will continue with what I have and see how I go. If this character makes it to level 18 (bone spear) I should be ok.

I decided that my original idea for a scoring table was a bit too messy. Trying to specify all three family members was just a bit overboard. Here is a much simpler scoring table with all current declared participants. If you are ready to enter, you must provide your family design in a separate post, but you may include yourself in the scoring table at your leisure.

Code:
[b][U][I]Family's Score[/I][/U][/b]
Family Name	Score	Last Trading Point Achieved
Wolron          0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Addams          0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Theban          0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Phailstone      0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Broflovski      0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Kennedy         0	Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cius            0	Act 1 Rogue Camp

Here is a design summary table.
Code:
[b][U][I]Family Designs[/I][/U][/b]
[U]Family      Father              Mother                Child              .[/U]
Wolron      Bradley Nec(21312)  Alexis    Zon(32123)  Arrielle  Sor(13231)
Addams      Gomez   Nec(31133)  Morticia  Asn(13221)  Wednesday Sor(22312)
Theban      Amun    Nec(22323)  Mut       Asn(13231)  Khonsu    Dru(31112)
Phailstone  Mr_Pa   Nec(31123)  Shakra    Sor(12211)  Lopan     Dru(23332)
Broflovski  Gerald  Nec(21232)  Sheila    Sor(12323)  Ike       Bar(33111)
Kennedy     Johnef  Pal(11231)  Jackie    Sor(33313)  Junior    Nec(22122)
Cius        John    Dru(13221)  Jean      Zon(22132)  James     Nec(31313)

Last edited:

I'll be entering just have to read over the rules again

Code:
[U]Family      Father              Mother                Child              .[/U]
Phailstone  Mr_Pa   Nec(31223)  Shakra    Sor(12111)  Lopan     Dru(23332)

I changed around a few things since the mercenary equipment rule was clarified.

Questions for Wolron(your PM box is full :)): A character is limited to using skills level 18 and below. Are they allowed to use item charges for skills found in the higher level tiers(24, 30)? Second question I have is about the scavenger apprentice. Reward skill points such as Den of Evil and Radament can be assigned to a skill we plan to put points into. Can these specific reward skill points be saved as we please?

Last edited:

Thanks for the clarification Wolron. I did not know that when I planned the characters but it will not change my layout fortunately. The druid with ranged only merc and SU will possibly have a slightly harder time until he can find a decent SU bow or till he gets a act3 merc I guess.

Anyways, I started Jean, the mother last night. Her reverse player setting restriction is a bit weird for me. Can't remember when I last did Act1 on anything other than players 8. Was also frustrated already with the no Str rule. Seeing as she uses socketed gear I went to buy a 3 socketed long bow from Gheed only to see that I was 2 Str points short. Sigh. So I got a 3 socketed spear instead. Cleared everything up to the entrance to the Stony field before running out of playtime. My rogue merc is wearing a 3 socketed hunters bow with two chipped rubies and a chipped sapphire. I have a 2 socketed armour with two chipped topazes already so hopefully some MF luck will come my way. Still trying to figure out where and how I will spend my skill points in the passive tree. I figure 20 points in Valk and decoy are definite and at least one point in every other skill. Only trouble so far was Cold Crows pack who got me down to half life once.

She is boot/belt/glove/jewelry less obviously and will be till I get the cube to craft. I will be channeling all runes to her at trade points to make runewords.

@phailstatus: You seem to have two characters using ethereal item restriction. Might want to correct that.

Interesting tournament concept!

I don´t have the time to participate - I just popped in to make a comment about a non-metallic weapon type you did not mention: Crystal Swords/Dimensional Blades/Phase Blades. They are not metallic (you can´t make an Iron Golem out of them, at least).

Code:

Phailstone  Mr_Pa   Nec(31323)  Shakra    Sor(12111)  Lopan     Dru(23332)

Questions for Wolron(your PM box is full :)): A character is limited to using skills level 18 and below. Are they allowed to use item charges for skills found in the higher level tiers(24, 30)? Second question I have is about the scavenger apprentice. Reward skill points such as Den of Evil and Radament can be assigned to a skill we plan to put points into. Can these specific reward skill points be saved as we please?

First, you do have two characters with ethereal weapon restriction.

Second, you can equip items, but you cannot use the skills on them. Of course, if the skill is passive or "chance-to-cast" there is some advantage gained by the equipment mod.

Third, quest reward points must go into one of your eight skills. However, they can be assigned at any time. That means you could save them if you want.

New Entry: The Pumpkins Family

Father: Billy : Barbarian with (2) no strength, (3) Scavenger Method of Skills, (3) Ethereal Only (2) Ranged Merc, and (3) Metallic

Mother: D'Arcy: Assassin with (3) no vitality, (2) Single Skill Tree, (2) Sets/Uniques, (3) Current Act Merc, (2) Players 1 for Act 1, etc.

Son: Jimmy: Druid with (1) Evenly distributed skills, (1) No Skills Above 18, (1) Craft/Socket/RW Items, (1) Melee Merc, (1) No items with Attributes

This should be fun!
*OneFromBeyond

Code:
Pumpkins    Billy   Bar(23323)  D’Arcy    Asn(32232)  Jimmy    Dru(11111)

Code:
Pumpkins        0   Act 1 Rogue Camp

I will be entering the “Cunningham Family”.

Father is Howard, a Barbarian, he will have even distribution of attributes (1), he will assign skills as the scavenger apprentice (3), he will wear only crafted, socketed, runeword items (1), he will use a range mercenary (2), and he will avoid attribute enhancements on all charms and equipment (1).

Mother is Marion, an Amazon, she will have no strength (2), she will use only the passive and magic skill tree (2), she will wear only ethereal items (3), she will use a melee mercenary (1), and she will use only non-metallic items (3).

Son is Richie, a Necromancer, he will have no vitality (3), he will use level 18 skills and lower (1), he will use only set and unique items (2), he will rotate his mercenary per act (3), and he will play increasing players levels (2).

Howard (13121)
Marion (22313)
Richie (31232)

Code:
Pumpkins    Billy   Bar(23323)  D’Arcy    Asn(32232)  Jimmy     Dru(11111)
Cunningham  Howard  Bar(13121)  Marion    Zon(22313)  Richie    Nec(31232)

Code:
Pumpkins        0       Act 1 Rogue Camp
Cunningham      0	Act 1 Rogue Camp

Funny thing happened on the way to the Stony Field... Ironically, after Morticia, my assassin, had committed herself to Claw Mastery for Act 1, she had to trade her starter katar for a unique club (Felloak). :) Does anyone know if there are any S/U claws that can be equiped before 50th level?

Lots of odd things have been happening...all my characters have been finding items that another character would love to have but can't get until the Outer Cloister, by which time they probably won't need them. All 3 are screaming for belts, offering heaps of gold for just a simple sash. Wednesday is dodging Kashya, who wants to give her a merc she can't use.

In other words, I'm having a great time!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High