Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

I don't like flying

EDIT: Are the mafia games dead? Now that I started studying again, I miss something to lurk inbetween classes.

I ate ox tongue last night. As a person with a primarily vegetarian diet (I won't cook/buy meat, but am willing to try some meat when going out,) it was not a good experience.
I've been a strict vegetarian for 20+ years (not even animal-based rennet in cheeses, gelatin in paddle pops, the 'potential' chicken salt [which may or may not be derived from animals] from fast food (KFC, McDonalds, etc) chips, etc.)
I wasn't so strict to avoid general unknowns (chips potentially cooked in tallow, or pizza cheese having animal-derived rennet,) but if I found a supermarket cheese with animal-based rennet, I would avoid it.

I've started trying some meats because I want to go to Japan, and know that their food is often cooked in a broth with meats. So, eating meats is to condition my mind and stomache so that I can enjoy their cuisine and culture.

So, ox tongue...
Question: What is the most 'out there,' or unusual, or worst meat you have tried, why, and how did you find it? Did it seem odd, even for general meat-eaters?

For me, Ox tongue (and I only tried a piece,) was a no from the start (at a restaurant.) It moved unlike other meats. It was chewy, and broke apart a little, and moved in my mouth, unlike other meats I've tried. I tried chewing, but knew that wouldn't work, so tried swallowing it. It was too large to swallow whole, so I chewed only as much as I needed to swallow, and quickly took down some tea.
It didn't really taste good, although I didn't focus on the taste. More the texture, and thought of it, were off-putting.

I've had duck tongue tacos. A little strange consistency, but tasty. Had them at Jose Andres' joint in the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas. It's a Chinese - Mexican fusion place. Really interesting food.

i have been a strict eat-only-meatitarian for over 20 years and I don't think I could eat ox tongue. I don't think I have had any tongue, either. We used to have a place that had a cow tongue sandwich where I grew up, but I was never ballsy enough to get it.

The weirdest meats I have had are generally seafood, octopus, sushimi and the like. I had rare beef once, I hadn't ever heard of people eating it rare, but my foreign coworkers assured me it was safe. I didn't die from it, unless it is a slow prolonged one.

thefranklin said:
strict eat-only-meatitarian for over 20 years
So you never eat grains or veges. Sure... :)

To the octopus, sashimi, and seafood, I feel that I couldn't eat much of that.
Things like crab I couldn't touch, because you have to pull the crab apart. Sashimi is raw fish meal, and I don't know if I could try it. If it really didn't resemble fish, I might try a little (like the ox tongue,) but I don't think it would go down well...
How was the octopus? What part do you actually eat; the tentacles, or the main body part?

It's interesting to see that among meat eaters, some things like tongue are still slightly unusual.

@TheNix How did the lambs brain go, and did you feel any reservations towards trying it? Also, why, and did it look like general meat, or somewhat like a brain?

Ahh, sashimi, thanks it didn't look quite right to me. It is sliced real thin so you can't tell what it was.

Sure I eat grains and fries, but avoid the green stuff.

On the octopus, both. Fried calimari is a little weird, because it is little fried squid that you clearly can tell the shape of.

Ah, I picked up on something (sushi v sashimi,) but I didn't notice what it was. I knew what you meant though. :)
Sushi are the rice and seaweed paper rolls with a variety of ingredients inside, often seafood, egg and/or vegetables. Very delicious.
Sashimi is the raw fish meal/meat cut thinly.

I might(?) try it if someone else ordered it, but the idea of raw fish is kind of off-putting. Then again, ox tongue was very off-putting, and I still at least gave that a go, and sashimi /feels/ more reasonable to me. Again though, I wouldn't order it straight up.

I couldn't eat the fried calimari. Meat on its own is a very difficult topic, since I just haven't wanted to eat meat ever. But when the meat looks like the animal, it's even worse in my mind.

@Drystan It wasn't so much a taste thing, but a textural one. Even crumbed, lamb's brains had the texture of over-mashed potatoes. I have a lot more problems with texture than with taste, I love the flavour that kidneys give a stew or whatever but I cannot actually bite into a kidney without retching.

Last edited:
I like squid, instant jellyfish and pig's ear. Calamari is good.

*serves Dew

*serves wine

*serves sangria

*serves coffee

Didn't see that coming!

I've eaten cow tongue a few times, and it's very good. It's all about how you prepare it, as with most things.
Agreed tongue cooke well is awesome

Last edited:
Most unusual thing i ate is probably froglegs. Taste wasn't bad.
Most unusual thing i didn't eat: bull's testicles. Was offered that when i was on holiday years ago. Somehow it felt better skipping that one.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High