Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Definitely a language warning, please. XD

Did other countries hear about the Sydney siege? Australian media (as all media) gets so caught up in anything terror related. The more fear they can instill, the more viewers they're going to get.
Myself, I just don't care - I don't watch news because I can predict what they show, and I'm somewhat anti-human-as-a-race, so when I get bombarded with all the negatives and hate from the news, it demonstrates my point, and I feel worse.
Ultimately though, I don't care. What happens, happens, and won't be changed. It's sad when something does happen, but I'm not going to change my life, or what I do, because of them. Humans as a whole move forward - that's the only way they can go.

Hey kestegs! Stay a while, and listen.

"AVG has detected high memory usage by the following program" Internet Explorer - It's a shame IE isn't even OPEN!!!? I'm about ready to get rid of AVG. Been good for so long, but now, it's just obnoxious with all these popups and updates, but I don't really know any non-intrusive alternatives.

Hey, Kestegs posted. Hope all is well! (and hope no homeowners have left threatening notes to friendly electricians lately)

It is possible to have multiple windows opened and not show up. Open up your task manager and take a look yourself.

*waves at kegs

*serves celebratory Dew for his return

*serves wine

*serves sangria

*serves tequila

*serves long island iced tea

AVG is trash. Get Microsoft Security Essentials (free). It takes up less resources and usually auto-updates (quickly)

Is MS Essentials good as anti-virus though? Does it include other rubbish? By the term "essentials," it implies that there are multiple programs that it installs, and I want to remove all my useless programs, not add more.

I reinstalled Flash and Firefox, reset to defaults, and the YouTube crash still occurs, so I'm trying to remove everything that doesn't get used, or that I simply don't care about seeing.
The HDD made an even worse noise than previous, so I definitely need to finishing making backups (I've got most that I need, but not all.)

There seems to be a lot of conflicting statements out there about Microsoft Essentials.

Is MS Essentials good as anti-virus though? Does it include other rubbish? By the term "essentials," it implies that there are multiple programs that it installs, and I want to remove all my useless programs, not add more.

I reinstalled Flash and Firefox, reset to defaults, and the YouTube crash still occurs, so I'm trying to remove everything that doesn't get used, or that I simply don't care about seeing.
The HDD made an even worse noise than previous, so I definitely need to finishing making backups (I've got most that I need, but not all.)
I've been using it for 5-6 years now (shortly after it came out iirc) and have never had a single issue. It is ONLY an antivirus and nothing else, and uses minimal resources. Last time I read anything about it (I think in a PC magazine lol), it was comparable in effectiveness to the bigger programs that people usually pay for such as avast, norton, etc.

Comparing things to Norton is like... Comparing apples to... Cardboard. They just aren't the same.* That, and I don't know why people (businesses/commercial excluded) buy anti-virus when the personal, free programs are already solid options.

There are a fair amount of negative articles regarding MSE from a brief search. I'm not really convinced, because of the reviews, and considering you've been using it for 5-6 years, and haven't tried the others. It's natural bias.
I've used several, and switch between them every couple years. AVG has been perfect for several years, except this update. I updated it manually, and the following week, I got an update saying that I need to update again to the new version, which was the one I had just updated it to. Maybe bad timing, and they just put out a new build when I updated, but its updating has been significantly more noticable lately.

*Unless Norton has actually improved their "anti-virus" software. XD

Oh I've tried other options, years ago. (specifically AVG).

I found AVG to be slow and annoying, and have experienced no issues since I've switched

edit: Though that may be a function of me being less risky online. I have no idea
edit 2: read a few more recent reviews via google. Looks like MS sends all their best info to other AV groups which leads to them being at the bottom of the rankings, and recent tests reflect that. It still appears to add little to the boot time and CPU as it originally did but for people who are reckless online they should go with something more substantial. I think I'm fine sticking with MSE

Last edited:
One thing I saw is that MSE does fine for a very basic protection, but doesn't have a lot of the other options other programs have. If you don't want anything else, it's fine, so it'd probably suit me, but I still like having some other options, even if I avoid most of them. In addition, it seems like they were one of the top, but... Couldn't be bothered keeping up? With the amount of competition, it probably wasn't worth their time and effort to keep on top of a free market.
That said, some of those "options" include tool bars, safe search filters, and other such nonesense that you really don't want, need, and slows things down. Things that the browser itself often does to a certain degree, so I make sure not to install those with the program.

I switch every couple of years because everything is good at first, but then factors change:
Car Insurance - go with one, and is fine for years. It'll continue being fine. But if you call your company up, and say you want to switch, they will often offer you a discount to keep you. If you search around, you're likely to get a good deal to join with someone, and slowly, their price will go up. You won't really care, because you've got it and it's inconvenient to look around, but if you did look around, someone else would offer you the same, if not better.
Electricity, gas, services all do the same thing. Even a lot of mechanics - they lure you in with a cheap service, but once they know you're coming back to them, they find one thing, then another, then another - things that a new mechanic (trying to get you to return to them again) would say didn't actually need doing. Unless you have an awesome mechanic.

In terms of anti-virus, I've used Avast, AVG, NOD32 (*cough*), and Avira - the big ones, and they're all fine, but... When they update their build, they often sneak something new in. Something stupid. They throw in Tool bars, Browsers, adverts, popups for their other programs, build updates that don't update automatically and keep popping up, safe searches, filters etc. It's fine for a while, because you can avoid most of it, but then there's something you can't eliminate, or just becomes a challenge to deal with.
I avoid their additional options, but AVG Free 2015 has made it so that the update option popped up, just after installing it. Why would I need a new build, when I just got the latest? It may've been bad timing in that they just put out a new build, but you can't turn off that type of popup, and it became annoying.
Avast Free now has a pop-up that advertises other of their programs. I don't know how often, but if I see it, it'll be gone as well.

Im a big fan of MSE. Does nothing but what it's made for. Doesn't hog up the system and doesn't install any bullshit addon. I'm virus free on multiple computers for 4 years now.

Only need an antimalware software to be precise, since these are getting way more popular nowadays.

*waves at kegs

*serves celebratory Dew for his return

*serves wine

*serves sangria

*serves tequila

*serves long island iced tea

*Drinks celebratory dew

Oh and congrats to Ohio!

They sound like two different sort of veg. Hi Kestegs!

Hi!

Hey kestegs. I miss you alot

*Groooooooooan

Welcome back @kestegs you were missed!

That's weird. This forum is so weird now!

Internet Explorer.

I removed the part of this post that was probably confusing you about the problem. AVG gets it.

Hey, Kestegs posted. Hope all is well! (and hope no homeowners have left threatening notes to friendly electricians lately)

lol, forgot about that

Good to be here, I have a long DOOL post to make about the last year or so, but don't really have the time right now, so I guess I'll have to come back again.

And here lies the problem. :p

But you're probably right. There's lot's of stuff i don't get. Or is it alot's of stuff? :)
Technically they're both wrong!

The i should also be capitalized.

And a semicolon should never be followed by a parenthesis.

Any other questions?

And here lies the problem. :p

But you're probably right. There's lot's of stuff i don't get. Or is it alot's of stuff? :)

Technically they're both wrong!

The i should also be capitalized.

And a semicolon should never be followed by a parenthesis.

Any other questions?
Where's the semicolon? The apostrophes should have been corrected. "There's lots, or alots, of stuff."

Enthusiasm for grammar!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High