Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

Kitteh, you are very mean to your mother. Shame! I shake my finger menacingly at you, young man!

Now I'd better check my own wires for lumps.

My mother phoned me on my landline and I didn't want to talk to her. She stupidly opened her endless monologue with "are you home?".
She phoned my landline!
I should have said, no, I'm on the train, we're going into a tunnel, krrkrrr bye"

Vivi - I seem to have upset you, which makes me sad. I don't want to upset anyone, except possibly Kegs. ;) And Bob. Sheesh.

"Running interference" just means that he got between me and my parents. In D2 terms, if I were a sorc with no armor or gear and only 1 point left in my health bulb, he's the merc standing in front of me and keeping Big D and Big D's wife away. In this picture, the merc doesn't die instantly when Big D shows up but instead gets 100% more strength and HP. I was 25 when this all went down with my parents so I had no basis for comparison. He was the one who kept saying "This isn't normal. This isn't OK. They can't treat you like this." Up until then I thought it was normal, and I was the problem. That, as you know, is the nature of any kind of abuse - the abused feels like it's their fault and it's something they did.

And as for alcohol, I'm not a drinker by any means. I do have to attend very high end dinners for my job, where I have to socialize with executives and government officials and make small talk on a topic I know almost nothing about. This is, as I'm sure you can imagine, pretty stressful. I've gotten better at it over the years, and that's the main reason I attended that etiquette dinner a few weeks ago. However I have found that just one drink is helpful so that I can loosen up a bit and not be quite so uptight. Y'all know how uptight I am. ;) But seriously, IRL I'm not often relaxed enough to be as sparkling and witty as I am on here. I have a very strict rule about only 1 drink at these things though, as the waiters will keep pouring the wine unless you physically stop them, and it is my job, so it would be disastrous for me to get loopy there. I have to find the right balance.

So please don't be mad at me, my dear. That would make me too sad. :(

I'm tea total. I hate feeling out of control of myself.

I used to be a very bad binge drinker. These days not so much

Ditto.

I took a day off researching my last piece of homework to go fishing. A good time was had!

Vivi - I seem to have upset you, which makes me sad. I don't want to upset anyone, except possibly Kegs. ;) And Bob. Sheesh.

"Running interference" just means that he got between me and my parents. In D2 terms, if I were a sorc with no armor or gear and only 1 point left in my health bulb, he's the merc standing in front of me and keeping Big D and Big D's wife away. In this picture, the merc doesn't die instantly when Big D shows up but instead gets 100% more strength and HP. I was 25 when this all went down with my parents so I had no basis for comparison. He was the one who kept saying "This isn't normal. This isn't OK. They can't treat you like this." Up until then I thought it was normal, and I was the problem. That, as you know, is the nature of any kind of abuse - the abused feels like it's their fault and it's something they did.

And as for alcohol, I'm not a drinker by any means. I do have to attend very high end dinners for my job, where I have to socialize with executives and government officials and make small talk on a topic I know almost nothing about. This is, as I'm sure you can imagine, pretty stressful. I've gotten better at it over the years, and that's the main reason I attended that etiquette dinner a few weeks ago. However I have found that just one drink is helpful so that I can loosen up a bit and not be quite so uptight. Y'all know how uptight I am. ;) But seriously, IRL I'm not often relaxed enough to be as sparkling and witty as I am on here. I have a very strict rule about only 1 drink at these things though, as the waiters will keep pouring the wine unless you physically stop them, and it is my job, so it would be disastrous for me to get loopy there. I have to find the right balance.

So please don't be mad at me, my dear. That would make me too sad. :(

Strange how people think I'm upset when I'm not.....sorry I made you think that.
If I am upset by someone I like - like you - I'll send a pm asking what on earth he or she did that do for and if that was really the intention.
If some stranger upsets me I tend to report them. Mods will vouch that I've not reported anything without a very good reason.
Well I hope they'll vouch, I don't think I can bribe them again with fairycakes.

Your story about your parents has some elements of my story in it, except my now ex bf not making a stand and just aswell. He just took me away from a situation of abuse, where I would never achieve anything due to the circumstances, and we lived together quite unsuccesfully, mainly due to being used to abuse so now it was my turn to abuse, until we split up and remained friends. After which a string of events, a lot involving my ex, made me gradually break away from my parents, aided by the fact that they were now really far away, and the last two years I've been actively shielding them out of my life.
They begin to realise they've lost control over me and try to reign me back in. It causes it a lot of stress but they fail.

I'm tea total. I hate feeling out of control of myself.

I know that one. I avoid it at all costs. It has to do with being controlled for a lot of my life. I want to be in control, always, and can deal where situations I cannot, like being ill, and I accept authority but not control.

No worries, Vivi. Bit of a language and cultural barrier, perhaps. We do have similar issues. It's quite an unusual bond to share. We are wounded warriors at the hands of our parents, which is not how it should be, alas. Mothers should be places of safety, not dangerous forces, but we live in a broken world.

:)

You can disable the Tapatalk line completely in the settings menu. I agree, it's annoying to see it after so many posts.

Congrats on the win , DJ, I caught the end of the game and it was pretty sad.

No worries, Vivi. Bit of a language and cultural barrier, perhaps. We do have similar issues. It's quite an unusual bond to share. We are wounded warriors at the hands of our parents, which is not how it should be, alas. Mothers should be places of safety, not dangerous forces, but we live in a broken world.

And it's....painful. It's one of the things that make me socially awkward.
In conversations.....talks that contain phrases like "when we were young" are best to be avoided by me. But there's plenty. And not only makes it me realise my upbringing wasn't normal - it was destructive.
Others of my age have parents to turn to. I know I musn't and never will. They'd be only too glad, like parasites that found a way in.

Nobody's family life is perfect. And there are people who've suffered worse than I have. I know all that. It's still sad though.

How about Mother's Day? Do you celebrate that where you live? We have it in May here in the US and before I became a mother, it made me physically ill. "My mother is my best friend." "I can't imagine life without you, Mom!" "You've always been there for me." How about - "you absolutely ruined my childhood and tried your very, very hardest to destroy my adulthood too" - let's see Hallmark make a card out of THAT.

She is behaving now because she has a grandchild. But they are both slipping a bit. They insult my husband, say that the music he does isn't "real music" because it's not all by dead 19th century guys - everyone knows that no worthwhile music has been written in the last, oh, 120 years, right? ;) They are coming to visit us for Thanksgiving and hubby has made it clear that he won't tolerate anything, so that should be fun. Expect to find me hiding in the basement and frantically spamming on here to get away from the crazy.

:)

You can disable the Tapatalk line completely in the settings menu. I agree, it's annoying to see it after so many posts.

Congrats on the win , DJ, I caught the end of the game and it was pretty sad.

It also outs you as an Apple owner. Ahem. ;)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High