Diablo II Quiz #2 (New Year´s edition)

jiansonz

Jun 22, 2003
Diablo II Quiz #2 (New Year´s edition)

Hi there! :wave:

Some more questions from yours truly. Hope you enjoy!
(unless otherwise noted, the questions are about LoD versions 1.11 and higher)

This post will be edited as correct answers come in. The correct answers will be put under spoiler cover so that new readers can try the questions without getting spoiled.

1. Apart from The Ancients, which are the only two SuperUnique/Boss monsters in the game that do not have a base ability?
(Izual and Blood Raven do not count. I am asking for enemies that do get random abilities on NM/Hell)

Correct answer from kestegs:
Achmel the Cursed and Nihlathak

2. Which is the only SuperUnique monster in the game that can effectively be triple immune?

Correct answer from Drystan:
Coldworm the Burrower

3. How many monster types are there in the pool for what can spawn on River of Flame?
(Grotesque Wyrm does not count as a separate monster type, and Hephasto does not count either)

Correct answer from Drystan:
(Maw Fiend, Grotesque, Abyss Knight, Pit Lord, Strangler, Blood Maggot and Urdar)

4. With the introduction of LoD, one SuperUnique monster pack was removed from the game.
a. What was the name of the boss of this pack?
b. Which monster subtype was it?
c. Where did this monster pack have its home?
d. What was/were the base ability/abilities of the boss?

Correct answers from BobTheWarrior (a,b,d) and Krupa (c):
a. Flamespike the Crawler
b. Razor Spine
c. Inner Cloister
d. Fire Enchanted + Cursed

5. What is the highest amount of Magic Find you can get on a rare Jewel?

+17%

6. Which of the seven classes has the fastest base attack speed with daggers?

Amazon

7. Which of the seven classes has the fastest base attack speed with two-handed axes?

Sorceress

8. Crossbows are generally really slow weapons in D2. However, there is one class for which they are even slower (1 base fpa) than for all the other six classes. Which class is the slowest crossbow user?
(wereforms are disregarded for this question)

Assassin

9. Which of the seven classes is the only one for which the Tier I, II and III staffmods on items do not fully correspond to Level 1, 6 and 12 skills?

Correct answer from Krupa:
Barbarian

10. What is the maximum amount of lightning damage you can have on a magical or rare weapon?
(both min and max, please!)

9-800
(That´s a perfect Shocking weapon of Storms that has been Larzuk-socketed with two perfect Jewels of Thunder,
or an equivalent rare with 2 sockets from the Mechanic´s affix, socketed with the aforementioned jewels)

11. Where on Normal difficulty can you find the monster subtype Balrog?

Outer Steppes

I was planning to write 20 questions, but I ran out of inspiration. Sorry...

Last edited:
Re: Diablo II Quiz #2 (New Year´s edition)

1. Achmel the cursed and Nihlathack
2. Witch doctor endagu
3. 5 (6 if you count vile children) unless you are also wanting sub types?
4. ???
5. 17%
6.Amazon
7. Sorceress
8.Assassin
9.Amazon
10. 7-600 with regular mods, 9-800 with a perfect roll on 2 jewels you put in a rare weapon.
11. outer steps

Thanks for the quiz, fun as always :thumbup:

4b) quill rat
c) inner cloister
d) extra fast, lightning enchanted, multi shot <- with the later two being bugged, deadly combo

7) sorceress
8) druid
9) barbarian - the weapon masteries are the issue here

@kestegs:
You are spot on for all the attack speeds, and some other stuff, but
2. Nope.
3. Good point about the vile children, but your answer is wrong anyway. Also, subtypes do not matter because each base monster type has only one subtype each that can spawn here.
9. There are no items with amazon staffmods (which makes you sort of right...:badteeth:)
11. Correct so far, but there is one more area.

@Krupa: Full marks on your answer to the staffmods question. :thumbsup:
You also got the fast axe-wielder right.

4b. Base monster type is correct, but not the subtype
c. Correct. That is now an area that no longer harbours any porcupines
d. The boss had neither of those abilities

Last edited:

I just checked the inner cloister with my classic poison javazon and there is no super unique there. Does it have to be 1.06 or earlier?

Flame spike the crawler was a razor spine quill rat who was always cursed and fire enchanted

i'll have a go at the unanswered ones

2. Snapchip?
3. Urdar/balrog/maggots/corpse spitters/grotesque/oblivion mages and knights (counting them as one type?). that makes six
4. i'll pass - never played classic
11. Outer steppes / Plains Of Despair? / City Of the damned/ river of flame / chaos sanctuary (whole of act 4 then?) + bartuc the bloody pack in throne of destruction in Act 5

now what do i win?:wink2:

Most have been answered, but I'll just throw a little in.

1. What do you mean by base ability? No magic/special attack, or no normal attack?

7 I think. Ruddy - did you forget the Ghostie type? I got all yours, plus I believe those mana burn Ghosts can. Or 8 for the Knight+Mages.

I remember Flame Spike being Multi-shot.?.? I knkow he can often pretty much insta-kill chars when entering that area. I know he was Cursed, and thought he had 3 mods.

11. Outer steppes / Plains Of Despair? / City Of the damned/ river of flame / chaos sanctuary (whole of act 4 then?) + bartuc the bloody pack in throne of destruction in Act 5

When I say subtype, I mean that the monster name needs to actually read 'Balrog' (unless it´s a boss). The correct areas are among the ones you mention, but I can´t let you get away with just mentioning them all...

Ventar (not Bartuc - he´s the Council Member) and his pack are Venom Lords.

Drystan said:
1. What do you mean by base ability? No magic/special attack, or no normal attack?

If I say 'pre-set boss ability', does that make it clearer? SuperUniques and bosses generally have one (e.g. The Smith - Extra Strong) or two (e.g. Bishibosh - Fire Enchanted + Magic Resistance) such abilities that is/are always the same. Then they get an extra ability (chosen at random) in NM and two extra abilities on Hell.

Drystan said:
I remember Flame Spike being Multi-shot.?.? I knkow he can often pretty much insta-kill chars when entering that area. I know he was Cursed, and thought he had 3 mods.

Razor Spines have (or at least had) a 'three spikes spread' as standard attack. Maybe this is what made you think he had Multishot?

(The times he did have Multishot, it was definitely 3 times as bad!)

@zaphodbrx: Nope.

I´ll give you some (pretty strong) hints for question number 2:

* This boss has a certain characteristic that, even when the text does not actually say "Immune to X", you still can not damage this boss with damage type X.

* The triple "immunity" thing can only happen on NM difficulty...

* ...because on Hell difficulty, this boss gets a native immunity that makes the aforementioned characteristic redundant.

Coldworm the Burrower? I'm thinking one doesn't get afflicted with the green Poison damage colour, although I don't know if she can spawn with dual immunities.

Yeah, the comment about Question 1 does make it clearer. Thanks. I can see how the answer fits now.

11. Where on Normal difficulty can you find the monster subtype Balrog?

Outer Steppes?

Edit: Oh somebody already said that

I'm thinking 2. should be
Ancient Kaa the Soulless

11. Balrogs can also also spawn in at least one, possibly all of the pits in act 5 (Pits of Acheron, Abbadon and Infernal pit, and it was a long time since I went there on regular basis, so can't remember if they are in all of the 3 areas)

@Drystan: You got it! I think my hints were too good. :badteeth:

Here is the explanation:
Coldworm has an ability that reduces poison duration from hits she takes to 0, just like for a player who has grabbed a Resist Poison shrine.

She always has the boss abilities Cold Enchanted + Magic Resistance. CE adds 75% cold resistance and MR adds 40% to cold/fire/lightning resists. This means she always has at least 115% cold resistance, and is therefore cold immune.

On Hell difficulty, all Sand Maggots (including Her Royal Queeliness herself) have native poison immunity. Whenever a boss has resists that would give them multiple immunities, the inherent immunity for the species (in this case, poison) has the highest priority. Among the other five damage types, cold immunity has the highest priority. Therefore, she is always PoI + CI on Hell. Even if she would spawn with LE and/or FE (which should give her 115% resist against those elements), the rule that says that only two immunities are allowed would knock those resists down to 75%.

Now enter Nightmare difficulty. If Coldworm spawns with LE or FE there, she gets 115% resistance to that element, making her immune to it. She only has one other immunity (Cold) so a second immunity is allowed. But you can still not poison her.

After some more research, I have now found out that I was wrong about the Balrogs. In Normal diffiiculty, they can indeed only spawn on Outer Steppes*. kestegs got it right from the beginning! Sorry that I hinted at another area. I thought they could spawn on Plains of Despair, too.

(* btw, only as boss packs. Regular Megademon critters here are Venom Lords)

All questions now have correct answers. Well done, people! :thumbup:

Last edited:

I had a look through the Arreat Summit, looking at the list of superuniques. Your first hint just made me think through the elements. Fire, Cold, Magic, Lightning and Physical will always do damage if not immune. Can't think of any exception. But poison. Poison is different. I first thought the Skeleton Mage near the Inner Cloyster, but he's not really special, then Radament, then Coldworm. Coldworm struck me, as she has her weird poison aura as well.

Stranglers. That's what they're called. I called them ghosties... The weak ones that shoot the mana burn orbs. Yeah, you knew what I meant. ;)

Interesting about Flamespike. I didn't realise they always shot 3 spikes. I thought he just had the multishot mod. He was a killer... Go to the Inner Cloyster, and get an insta-death almost. Very lucky to dodge them. That's what I remember from him though.

Thanks for the quiz, Jiansonz.

Quill Rats have the code for a 3 shot attack by default, but it's disabled. From my testing (Running around in front of them) it looks like they don't have NHD either, so a multishot and cursed pack must have ripped a few characters apart!

I played D2 long before they removed him, and I always miss him in later patches. I remember trying to farm him and thinking, "If he's this tough, he must have good drops!" Didn't earn anything but bodies...

[highlight]What are all of the monster types who can cast Inferno?[/highlight]

[highlight]Name all 9 of the ambient creatures found in the game.[/highlight] Hint: One of these has been herded to The Burial Grounds for a certain small charm.

Salamander, found in the act 5 red portal areas.
Didn't even know they existed until about 6 months ago :p and flayer type shamans.

From memory: chickens, scorpions, snakes, spiders, bats, bunnies, macaws, rats.

Salamander, found in the act 5 red portal areas.
Didn't even know they existed until about 6 months ago :p and flayer type shamans

You're forgetting the Megademon line: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act4-megademon.shtml

Demon Imps have a ranged fire attack but it is not necessarily Inferno - just looks like it: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act5-demonimp.shtml

As to the last creature, is it: Flies?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High