Devi: A Trapper Walkthrough

sir_cyclops

Jan 4, 2019
Devi, the assassin, is off to a good start. The name is from the Kingkiller Chronicles, my favorite series. She is intended to be my “main” character for this year as I have hopes of her being an untwinked 99er. Assassin is my favorite class, so even though I really want to use a sorceress for the slight speed/time benefits, I think it'll be more rewarding when I roll my first legit self-found enigma. Some of you know this already, but @Luhkoh and I decided to hop in on the diabloii community earlier this month and restart completely fresh. So Devi will likely also be the one I do RFL/MFO with. I'm a long time jsp-er so I'm partial to walkthroughs (very popular posts on their Player vs Monster subforum). I'm not sure if I'll continue to post on this thread after she's in the 90s and signed up for the 99er thread.

Rules:
- players x
- softcore
- small stash until matriarch
- ladder rws

Goals:
- spirit sword
- treach
- elite base insight

Post-matriarch goals:
- farm an enigma before RFL
- farm an infinity while doing RFL

Next years goals:
- 99er

Without further adieu:

yPwfDQK.jpg

Last edited:
First sc was really nice:

5mcSn7K.jpg

First rare was from countess and made my a1 merc pretty strong:

68KBitJ.jpg

Eventually got runes for leaf and stealth and went on to andy. killed her on p5. pretty great item rolls imo.

0Z7RxU6.jpg

Amulet wasn't bad:

UGHD2jz.jpg

shield rolled good mods too, but i'm using leaf so no need.

hoX2riD.jpg

first set:

w4Hy6Et.jpg

It was cathans -.-

Nice start! This looks like it'll be a fun read; thanks for taking the time to post. I always find it kind of funny how just a handful of Countess runs can really accelerate progress for several character classes, especially characters with fire-based attacks. Do you have a plan on how you'll be using your respecs? (I'm assuming a limit of 3 until level 98)

Nice start! This looks like it'll be a fun read; thanks for taking the time to post. I always find it kind of funny how just a handful of Countess runs can really accelerate progress for several character classes, especially characters with fire-based attacks. Do you have a plan on how you'll be using your respecs? (I'm assuming a limit of 3 until level 98)
Thanks man! Yeah leaf and stealth (and zephyr after saving the barbs for ort rune), makes fire sin super fast and have good damage. I will likely not save ancients for 99ing since trapper is good at baal runs, and I want to do cow runs with her for RFL.

I do have my respecs planned though:
- Fire->light trapper between level 30-40 whenever it feels right. Going 50% block with rhyme and whatever that equates to with whistans. Probably ~60%. I do plan to max fire blast before I progress through hell for immunes.
- when I get enigma (presumably I’ll have a cta)
- saved for if I need it

Those seem like solid respec points. Nice how clear-cut that seems with a less item dependent build. I've started an untwinked bowazon (not sure if entering it into the 99er or not one day...) and it seems like I could justify a respec with every other major bow upgrade for optimization (not that I've found any yet!), so it's hard trying to have enough patience to wait for major gear milestones before respec'ing.

Duri's drops. hoped for good boots but they sucked. the eth helped me make a zephyr later :)
kpafJXr.jpg

got a great marsh skip! ormus ring
rl7fRTi.jpg

found this beauty somewhere!
AyrSwAm.jpg

Holy breast plate batman. I'll probably save this for treach and/or enigma later

qiBHAg9.jpg

meph kill. as im also grailing with this restart, 2 sets from meph are quite nice. was angelics this time. probably wont use it. ive got a 10 and 11 mf ring on right now.
dG5cOyx.jpg

I got my 2 skills from izzy. even on p1 he has a ton of health. and then this was my forge. not too shabby. excited about the pamy in case i need to cube a polearm. also flawless topaz shrines into perfect quicky :)
m03RCYY.jpg

I found this somewhere in a4. using.
uZ3avuD.jpg

diablo wasn't bad. his drops were.
O73mtMg.jpg

got to ancients with a waypoint since glacial trail, game crashed due to CoS bug. did the same thing, crashed again. no more CoS on ancients. got em eventually
fNnmmbO.jpg

killed baal. that war bow was pretty awesome...

wVD20Iy.jpg

i mean, check out this war bow. i wish it had 20 ias. so good for level 18
Jfs4hsC.jpg

slayer
tegYWiL.jpg

Decent drop for nm den. Pretty useful merc item
lg8JwnB.jpg

found two of these while just running to black march
mwkN5JO.jpg

not a bad distance from the tower :p
l4WkRG0.jpg

spoiler: shael took over 30 runs 0_0 lots of dols as you can see here
XQYEtTU.jpg

a tease:
pZMv0ql.jpg

first death. two archer boss packs. one was a champion pack and they other had a super strong, cursed unique.
zMjlU0p.jpg

I found a random perfect defense twitch, which is cool
cXODBpV.jpg

used my only pamy to try and roll an insight base. fail.
OwziumX.jpg

shopped these nice gloves
mQEErnA.jpg

i rerolled my map to look for better racks and i got an even closer tower spawn lol (the levels were easier to run also). sadly, no racks. i still kept this map until i was ready to progress.
dUjcOSq.jpg

i found my spirit base! and shael on the same run!
gCLVJDj.jpg

Nice progress. I'll read this thread with great interest.

The reqs on the sword are too high to be useful, no?

Nice progress. I'll read this thread with great interest.

The reqs on the sword are too high to be useful, no?
Thanks for following along! :) It makes it 10x more fun.

I really want to get enigma before RFL so I’m cutting corners for time. Also, I may end up using war travs so I’ll need 95 strength and I’m going 50% block with rhyme (75% whistans) so the dex isn’t an issue. If it’s a small waste, no big deal since Assassins have great life scaling per vita.

Moved on! I did run andy ~5 times. good think i did ;)

First kill:
nuFKzNR.jpg

on my way to her the first time. sorry for placing this image after. i like this item. stashed it for future chars/grail though:
cP9ZvH5.jpg

found a nice jewel!
rdjioDG.jpg

Second andy run :) no insight, no problem!
NX7FqnZ.jpg

kelpie is so good. it rolled 154 which is meh, but still awesome. also, i didn't screenshot it but i found a darkglow armor and put it on merc so he's feeling pretty great. i moved on to act 2 after a few runs.

is this worth using for anything?
rquZ6dY.jpg

and i found this great helm which may become a stylish mf helm (3 ptopaz. ive got 1p, 1flawless, 1 regular. worth gem shrine hunting to get some magicfind while advancing?)

A7OS1V0.jpg

i got the staff and ammy. i died in the maggot room lvl 3 without a safety tp and had to run back. that was annoying.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High