City Mafia Game Thread

Re: City Mafia Game Thread

Couple things so far...

Bad Ash said:
<Stuff about needing to lynch the first picker>

Thoughts?

I disagree that lynching the first picker is valuable in and of itself. While there are some roles up there that are hilariously dangerous in the hands of scum (looking at bomb, vigilante, possibly mason), for the most part the really damaging picks come from stealing town roles. If that's happened, it's already done, lynching now just risks losing an asset.

FredofErik said:
@mystery role: I have no clue other than VI. But I think I read sometime that Cal doesn't like VIs. Can anyone remember this?

As far as I recall right now, CG's main pet peeve is stuff that changes alignment over the course of the game, so I would bet not a cult. I don't remember any particular hate towards VI. That said options that come to my mind about the alternate wincon are: Survivor, Lyncher, VI, maybe some goofy other thing.

One more question for everyone:
What role(s) do you think is most dangerous in the hands of mafia?

As far as roles go, I did some light research on most of them and used this site as a basis:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles

Assuming that the information on there is consistent with the role names used here I should be pretty set.
Our style has some subtle differences that occasionally appear, but we regularly use that wiki to discuss roles.

If I were anti-town in a game like this (and therefore not worried about night kills except the serial killer of course) and since I had one of the first choices I would have probably taken one of the "Normal" major town power roles, since even if I was lynched early on, I would be able to prevent them from having a specific ability that would tilt the game in their favor.
As mafia you'd take a role just so the town didn't have it. You're devious. I like it.

Let me toss a question out there for you, at least the ones that know me and my play style better: You're me, you have the 3rd pick, what do you pick?
Your avatar.

One more question for everyone:

cop/doc: simply because it would take them away from town
vigilante: pretty obvious, extra kill. the fact that it can be used day OR night probably also means, that mafia would be able to hang on to it for a long time, as they would always have the possibility to take somebody with them if they are seeing a lynch coming.
mason: not to sure about this one. possibly really dangerous if mafia could build up some serious trust.
bus drive: again it's taken away from town AND can still very much be used to mafia's advantage.
role thief: could be used early on to steal from one of the first picks.

Also, does anyone else kinda assume Gambor has to be not mafia?

No, because he took on the other players role. tsk tsk Goryani and Gambor... Day 1 mafia outage?

Because it seems quite useless to pro-town.

I'm really looking forward to this game. :)...at least the ones that know me and my play style better:

I seem to remember you are more fond on plain vanilla mafia...I'm just sayin'

...To be honest, were I mafia and on the no. 1 spot I would've more than likely gone for one of the mason roles. No better way to cover your tracks than to be chatting with a few townies every night, essentially winning their trust AND delivering their concerns to your mafia buddies.

I hadn't thought of this.(shows my lack of mafia skill again)

...Also, does anyone else kinda assume Gambor has to be not mafia?

I'm not sure it's safe to assume anyone is an automatic townie...is it???

Why did you and Gambor do that?

Because it seems quite useless to pro-town.

But, it's a [highlight]Ninja[/highlight]. I don't even know what the Ninja's roles/powers are. It's a Ninja for crying out loud. That's what I would have picked, and if a friggin ninja doesn't die this game, I'm going to be very sad, because I didn't choose it because....

.... wait for it.....

...WIFOM........

Mason, because most people beileve masons to be confirmed, and a clever enough traitor can wreck havock.
Double Voter, mafia win when they control the lynch right? Having an extra vote does this.

@Mystery Role: Jester, but this is me, I love the jesters :/

@Ank: I think the thief suits your playstyle best, you seem to like roles that mess with peoples heads.

But, it's a [highlight]Ninja[/highlight]. I don't even know what the Ninja's roles/powers are.

Let me help you with what a Ninja's powers are...

15. Ninja - Immunity to tracker/watcher.

Preview edit: Bah Ninja'd by FoE.

Why [highlight]NOT[/highlight] ninja?
A townie receiving the Ninja role will have no powers to hide from the tracker/watcher. Therefore, a townie Ninja is strictly worse than being vanilla townie this game. They can do the exact same things (nothing) but a vanilla townie will at least know who can or can't be the role initially chosen by the VT. A ninja townie doesn't have that info.

Another thought that pleases me greatly:

Noodle might need to die immediately. Alignment is random. If Noodle is mafia we are in deep deep trouble because he had free reign of every single role. Even the person who picked second had SOME chance to pick the same role as Noodle making him less dangerous and it just continues on down like that further and further.

Thoughts?

Assuming 25% chance of mafia. Equal chance of a power role. I'll take the 75% odds for day one and see how he turns out. Power roles can be blocked or saved and I'd rather lynch someone for their play instead of their ability to pick first from a role list.

Vote: Bad Ash

I've only played a draft game in which it was made public who picked which roles. Roleclaiming can be useful here, but only on day one and if we start from the bottom of the list. But the fun lies in not knowing and keeping the WIFOA feel to it.

If I were one of the first picks, I would have went for SK (since I've never been one and always wanted to win as one), Mason (nothing bad as being confirmed in the eyes of other people) and possibly role thief (I introduced the role in this forum, so hell yeah I'm going to pick it).

In regards to Ankeli's question, I won't even go there. Going into Ankeli's mind is plain suicide.

I'm also against lynching Noodle. Maybe would want to lynch him as soon as possible, because there is a high chance he went for doc or for some other role that granted him NK immunity, thus they would want him lynched, rather than waste an NK on him.

Also, do you think a host would allow mafia to choose mason? That would give the mafia a HUGE advantage over the town with having an inside man. But if that's the case, that means masons are no longer real masons and they now have to worry about each and ever one of them. WIFOA.

Goryani's "If you were to design a game with a special win condition, what would it be?":
I would probably go for "If you make a single post with 50 characters (no more, no less) for 5 consecutive days, you achieve your win condition and become a tree stump (invulnerable but unable to vote)".

Goryani's "What position do you think is the lowest number to receive their choice and not a duplicate?":

The lower the better. Still, this has the flaw that many may have thought the same. I chose two lower numbers (8 and 15) to avoid duplicates and still I didn't get the tree stump role.

Goryani's "If a treestump claims before the end of D1, the number of players alive will drop and the lynch numbers will change.":
Interesting; so the ideal scenario would be for the stump to claim on the first day, so that the lynch number decreases, allowing the town a slightly more successful chance to lynch someone. Am I right?

I'm really looking forward to this game. :)

Let me toss a question out there for you, at least the ones that know me and my play style better: You're me, you have the 3rd pick, what do you pick?

I'm also not so fond on lynching Noodle just because he had the first pick. His chances of being mafia are the same as everyone else. It's a very conditional thing to lynch him just because IF he was mafia, then he had free reign to choose. To be honest, were I mafia and on the no. 1 spot I would've more than likely gone for one of the mason roles. No better way to cover your tracks than to be chatting with a few townies every night, essentially winning their trust AND delivering their concerns to your mafia buddies.

you'd be stumpy.

Couple things so far...

I disagree that lynching the first picker is valuable in and of itself. While there are some roles up there that are hilariously dangerous in the hands of scum (looking at bomb, vigilante, possibly mason), for the most part the really damaging picks come from stealing town roles. If that's happened, it's already done, lynching now just risks losing an asset.

As far as I recall right now, CG's main pet peeve is stuff that changes alignment over the course of the game, so I would bet not a cult. I don't remember any particular hate towards VI. That said options that come to my mind about the alternate wincon are: Survivor, Lyncher, VI, maybe some goofy other thing.

Assuming 25% chance of mafia. Equal chance of a power role. I'll take the 75% odds for day one and see how he turns out. Power roles can be blocked or saved and I'd rather lynch someone for their play instead of their ability to pick first from a role list.

Vote: Bad Ash

I've only played a draft game in which it was made public who picked which roles. Roleclaiming can be useful here, but only on day one and if we start from the bottom of the list. But the fun lies in not knowing and keeping the WIFOA feel to it.

OK, first off, not sure why suggesting something in a new formatted game deserves a vote, and even despite getting that vote I am going to divulge further since most people have suggested it is a bad idea.

It isnt as cut and dry as "well then we lynch the number 2 spot picked, then the 3 spot, then the 4" no, this is specifically Noodle that is a big danger.

I understand that there is a 75% chance that he is town..but guess what? There is a 75% chance that ANYONE we lynch is town on day 1. Also, everyone who picked AFTER noodle has a higher and higher chance of being vanilla mafia or town. This is why that everyone is less and less dangerous the further down the list we go (assumedly) because they could be vanilla. Vanilla Mafia vs Mason Mafia is an insane difference.

It is a huge risk because if he's town he most likely has a power role, but, IDK, powerful powerful mafia could be in play here.

Another thought: Does anyone think the Mafia could communicate their choices to one another?

I doubt they could tell each others, and we can probably ask for confirmation from Cal to that.

It's a risk to start lynching from the top just because they COULD be stronger mafia. An unnecessary risk. I'd rather lynch based on play and somewhat ignore the list in that regard.

Also, do you think a host would allow mafia to choose mason? That would give the mafia a HUGE advantage over the town with having an inside man. But if that's the case, that means masons are no longer real masons and they now have to worry about each and ever one of them. WIFOA.

This is exactly why I'm not sure a mafia mason is that dangerous. I see no reason that Cal wouldn't allow mafia in mason group, which pretty much renders the mason group useless.

There is a 75% chance that ANYONE we lynch is town on day 1.

Exactly why I can't understand that you want to lynch somebody who we can be fairly sure is a PR.

Another thought: Does anyone think the Mafia could communicate their choices to one another?

Since the game hadn't officially started before after all the roles where given, I doubt CG would allow them to communicate about the role picks before hand.

CG said at one point that the mafia didn't even know who each other were before picking roles, so there would be no way to even communicate at all.

I think the best choice for the first pick would be cop. One of the only ways we are going to get confirmation of alignment, since roles can go either way. I might have picked bomb though, just because player 1 is more likely to get NK'ed.

I don't want to lynch Noodle just for being pick 1. He is a power role for sure, but the risk is just the same as anyone else. We would either kill a powerful mafia or lose a powerful town.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High