City Mafia Game Thread

Caluin Graye

Sep 4, 2005
City Mafia Game Thread

Hullo! Welcome to City Mafia, the citiest game of Mafia you'll ever play!

This game is a Wine In Front of All game, which means all players have the opportunity to bid on what roles they will play in game. The exact rules for bidding are covered in a bit, but first, our general game rules need to be posted:

Game Rules:
For your convenience, rules that differ from our standard games are bolded.

.5) This game is in no way, shape, or form promised to be balanced. Moderator is not responsible for sweeping victory of one faction over another.

1) You do not talk about your role or any other relevant information concerning the game outside this thread.

2) If you post at night I will kill you, no matter what.

3) If you edit your post I will kill you. This includes editing for spelling mistakes.

4) If your role allows you to communicate with others during the night, feel free to do so via PM, instant messaging or any other form you choose. Only those roles expressly allowed to communicate privately with each other at night are allowed to. If you have any questions, contact me privately.

5) Once you're dead, stay that way. Dead people tell no tales, or in this case, dead people make no posts. Suck up your death and keep watching and rooting for your team. There's always the next round.

6) Every player gets one lynch vote during the day. Votes and unvotes need to be bolded . If your unvote isn't bold, it doesn't count. The only part I'm concerned with is the 'vote:' part. As long as I can type that into a Find field and see your vote or unvote, I will count it. Case sensitivity is not required. Names do not need to be exact, but if it takes me more than a second to determine who you're voting for, I'll disregard your vote.

7) This game utilizes majority lynch rules. Unlike standard games, a lock happens the moment a majority is lynched. There is no lynch + 1 rule.

8) Any posts that come AFTER the end day post or the intended end day time will not be counted, unless specified by the host. This includes votes.

9) Never post anything in the thread that shouldn't be known to the town. Don't flame in the thread. If you have a problem with anything in the thread, please PM me and I'll do my best to handle it.

10) Any player may claim any role. I.E. Any player may claim to be something that they are not.

11) Do not post any information sent to you in a pm, excluding your original role PM. That, and only that, you may post via quoting or copy/pasting if you wish. No other methods are allowed. All other privileged information must be paraphrased in your own words.

Here is a sample town PM:
Sample said:
City: New York, NY
Win Condition: Town
Role: G
odfather

12) I won't be telling you the starting roles. (lol, actually, I guess I will, huh?)

13) Day lasts 48 hours and night lasts 24 hours.

14) Do not post at night or edit or I will kill you.

15) You will get mod killed if you are inactive (at least 1 contributive post a day) or you get a forum temp ban.

16) Read the rules once more. Have Fun! Good luck! May the best team win.

WIN CONDITIONS:

TOWN: You and your team win when all anti-town threats have been eliminated from the game, regardless if you are alive or dead.

SCUM: You and your team win when you both control the lynch and nothing any other team can do will alter this, regardless if you are alive or dead.

SPECIAL: You have a special win condition. See your role PM for exact details.

So that's the boring stuff out of the way.

In a WIFOA game, all roles are bid upon by the players. To determine the bidding order, all players choose two numbers between 1 and 20. The first is the primary number, the second is only used for tiebreakers. The person who chose the lowest number will have first pick of roles, with subsequent people choosing as you go higher in the numbers. However, if any number is chosen by multiple people, then they will choose a role after all single number picks have chosen. In a nutshell, lower numbers are better, but singles will always beat out duplicates, which beat out triplicates, etc. If the tiebreaker numbers are equal as well, then time of submission is used as the final tie-breaker.

Once all bids are submitted, the list will be published and we can proceed into picking roles.

The Bids:
01. Noodle 2 / 7
02. Pyrotechnician 6 / 12
03. Ankeli 9 / 2
04. kestegs 12 / 2
05. Goryani 16 / 10
06. FredofErik 8 / 3
07. Valhauros 8 / 15
08. RlyehExiled 8 / 19
09. Gwaihir 7 / 1
10. Sathoris 7 / 2
11. zemaj 7 / 3
12. Flubbucket 7 / 11
13. Laarz 1 / 4
14. Bad Ash 1 / 1
15. Asrrin 1 / 1
16. ThunderCat 1 / 2
17. coju 1/ 2

Once all bids are posted, players submit their choices for desired role. Each player gets one pick. Players do not know what roles have been picked ahead of them. No role may be duplicated. If a role is chosen that has already been chosen by someone with higher priority, then they are assigned a vanilla role.

The Master Role List:
1. Cop - Guaranteed to be sane.
2. Doctor - Can target self, but not same target two nights in a row.
3. One-Shot Bulletproof
4. Role-thief - You take someone else's role, and they become the role-thief.
5. Tree Stump - Unlynchable, bulletproof, no votes. If Mafia chooses this, then they don't count for victory. Town only needs eliminate the other mafia to win.
6. Special Win Condition - An alternate win condition. What is it? IT'S A MYSTERY. You'll know before game starts.
7. Mason A
8. Mason B
9. Mason C
10. Watcher
11. Tracker
12. Rolecop
13. One-shot Vigilante - Night or day kill, player's choice.
14. Godfather - Immunity to cop.
15. Ninja - Immunity to tracker/watcher.
16. Bus driver
17. Bomb - Kills the person who killed you. If lynched, takes out last person to vote for you.
18. Roleblocker
19. Hider - Every other night, immunity to all night actions.
20. Serial Killer - Replaces your original faction. You gain bulletproof and kill ability.
21. Coroner - You get night kill results.
22. Restless Spirit - Can vote the day after you're killed.
23. Jailkeeper
24. Double-voter
25. Party Host - If you are killed at night a list of everyone who targeted/visited you that night will be posted. It will be alphabetical, and with no indication of what was done to you.

Once all role picks have been submitted, then I'll proceed sending out Role PMs to everyone.

--------

Quick Links:
Start of Day 1

Start of Day 2

Start of Day 3

Start of Day 4

Start of Day 5

Last edited:
Re: City Mafia Game Thread

Players Alive:
5 players are currently alive:

04. RlyehExiled
06. Pyrotechnician
08. Gwaihir
14. FredofErik
15. Valhauros

Players Dead:
05. kestegs - Killed night one. Houston, Texas.
16. Asrrin - Lynched day two. Seattle, Washington. Mafia. Vanilla.
03. Sathoris - Killed night two. Columbus, Ohio.
09. zemaj - Killed night two. Detroit, Michigan.
12. Ankeli - Lynched day three. San Fransisco, California. Town. Special Win Condition.
02. ThunderCat - Killed night three. Denver, Colorado.
10. Laarz - Killed night three. Baltimore, Maryland.
11. Goryani - Killed night three. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
13. Noodle - Modkilled day four. Los Angeles, California. Mafia. Treestump.
01. Flubbucket - Lynched day four. Memphis, Tennessee. Mafia. Bus Driver.
07. Bad Ash - Killed night four. Boston, Massachusetts.
17. coju - Lynched day five. Portland, Oregon. Town. Bomb.
18. Gambor - Blown up day five. Yuma, Arizona. Town. Vanilla.

Vote Count Day One:
10 to lynch, final count
Laarz (5): Goryani; zemaj; kestegs; Pyrotechnician; RlyehExiled
Sathoris (3): Ankeli; Bad Ash; Flubbucket
Bad Ash (2): Asrrin; Gwaihir
valhauros (1): Sathoris
Gwaihir (1): coju

Vote Count Day Two:
9 to lynch, final count:
Asrrin (10): Sathoris; zemaj; Bad Ash; RlyehExiled; Gwaihir; ThunderCat; coju; Flubbucket; Laarz; Gambor
Sathoris (2): Ankeli; Asrrin
Goryani (1): Goryani
Valhauros (1): Pyrotechnician
flubbucket (1): Valhauros

Voute Count Day Three:
8 to lynch; Final count:
Ankeli (8): Valhauros; RlyehExiled; Bad Ash; FredofErik; Laarz; Pyrotechnician; coju; Goryani
Pyrotechnician (2): ThunderCat; flubbucket
flubbucket (1): Ankeli

Vote Count Day Four:
5 to lynch; final:
flubbucket (6): Pyrotechnician; coju; Gwaihir; Valhauros; Bad Ash; RlyehExiled
coju (1): flubbucket
RlyehExiled (1): FredofErik

Vote Count Day Five:
4 to lynch; Final count:
coju (5): Valhauros; Pyrotechnician; FredofErik; Gambor; RlyehExiled
Gwaihir (1): coju

Vote Count Day Six:

Last edited:

All right! I've received bids from everyone except one person. The ordered list has been posted in the OP, but I'll drop here too for your convenience:

01. Noodle 2 / 7
02. Pyrotechnician 6 / 12
03. Ankeli 9 / 2
04. kestegs 12 / 2
05. Goryani 16 / 10
06. FredofErik 8 / 3
07. Valhauros 8 / 15
08. RlyehExiled 8 / 19
09. Gwaihir 7 / 1
10. Sathoris 7 / 2
11. zemaj 7 / 3
12. Flubbucket 7 / 11
13. Laarz 1 / 4
14. Bad Ash 1 / 1
15. Asrrin 1 / 1
16. ThunderCat 1 / 2
17. coju 1/ 2
18. Gambor x / x

That's the priority order for choosing your role. The roles can be found in the OP as well, under one of the spoiler tags. But, again, because I love all of you, I'll repost them here for your convenience:

1. Cop - Guaranteed to be sane.
2. Doctor - Can target self, but not same target two nights in a row.
3. One-Shot Bulletproof
4. Role-thief - You take someone else's role, and they become the role-thief.
5. Tree Stump - Unlynchable, bulletproof, no votes. If Mafia chooses this, then they don't count for victory. Town only needs eliminate the other mafia to win.
6. Special Win Condition - An alternate win condition. What is it? IT'S A MYSTERY. You'll know before game starts.
7. Mason A
8. Mason B
9. Mason C
10. Watcher
11. Tracker
12. Rolecop
13. One-shot Vigilante - Night or day kill, player's choice.
14. Godfather - Immunity to cop.
15. Ninja - Immunity to tracker/watcher.
16. Bus driver
17. Bomb - Kills the person who killed you. If lynched, takes out last person to vote for you.
18. Roleblocker
19. Hider - Every other night, immunity to all night actions.
20. Serial Killer - Replaces your original faction. You gain bulletproof and kill ability.
21. Coroner - You get night kill results.
22. Restless Spirit - Can vote the day after you're killed.
23. Jailkeeper
24. Double-voter
25. Party Host - If you are killed at night a list of everyone who targeted/visited you that night will be posted. It will be alphabetical, and with no indication of what was done to you.

----

You can now start submitting your request for a role. Choose any role you want to be. However, if someone with a higher priority has already picked that role, then you will instead become vanilla. To give a small example, Noodle has the highest priority, so he can choose any role he wants. Pyrotechnician can chooses any role he wants, but if he chooses the same role as Noodle, then he instead is assigned vanilla. Ankeli will be vanilla if he picks the same as Noodle or Pyro, so on and so forth.

Keep that in mind and choose very carefully! Think about what other people may have chosen before you, or may have passed up. Consider what roles will make you a target, especially if they're chosen early versus late. Then remember that mafia are amongst you, know they're mafia, and might snipe town roles just to prevent the town from having them. Of course, it works in reverse too!

Let's give it a tentative 24 hours for role selection. If everything goes to plan, we'll start the game tomorrow at 6:00pm Pacific, starting with a day phase, because I'm sure I've given all of you plenty to talk about.

Edit -
A clarification; if you have received a PM from me stating you were mafia, then you are obviously mafia. You did not receive this PM, then you are town.

Last edited:

an I make a suggestion? After everyone sends in their pick, they should say so in this thread letting the next person know they are up.

EX: Noodle PMs you his role (hopefully one that enjoys dieing quickly) and then says pyrotechnician is up to keep things moving...

You can all send in your role choices now. It doesn't matter the order I receive them in, since you don't get to know what was chosen before you.

Sorry if that wasn't clear!

Waiting on just two more role submissions. I expect to get one in the near future, the other I'm not so sure about. Has anyone seen Fluffyknowsyou? Or has a way to contact him/her? S/he hasn't been on since last week and, as much as I loathe to do it, I may be forced to drop him/her.

Is there anyone interested in being a replacement?

Sending out official role PMs now.

Game should be able to start on time. I'll have a opening day post ready and posted by 6:00pm Pacific. Stay tuned!

View attachment 1086

Good evening, welcome to the 6:00 evening news. I'm Jeremy TalksToMuch. Tonight, breaking news out of the nation's capital, where disturbing reports have confirmed that the city of Washington D.C. has been wiped off the face of the Earth. Early estimates state that there are no survivors, and the nation is in complete panic.

In the mean time, with our government in complete shambles, several cities have taken to declare martial law and are now hunting for the culprit responsible. While officials state that there is no evidence that this was anything more than an terrible accident, many speculate that only terrorism could cause such devastation. I dare say that we are fast approaching a second civil war.

May God have mercy on us all in these dark times.

-------------

Caluin Graye, Washington D.C., has been killed!

-------------

It is now day time. Day lasts for 48 hours, and will end tentatively on Wednesday the 21st at 6:00pm Pacific time. If you did not receive a role PM from me, or have any questions about how your role works, please don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

It is currently 10 votes to lynch.

Last edited:

The mod is dead! Let's all break the rules!

Did we lose Fluffy?

Random Question Stage questions:
@Laarz, Bad Ash, Asrrin, ThunderCat, coju -
You all picked 1 as your bid. What role would you have picked if you got to pick first?

@Pyrotechnician - Fresh meat! I mean... Sorry.
Have you even played mafia before?
If yes:
Have you ever played as anti-town?
Have you ever won as anti-town?
What is your favorite role among roles you have played as?
What is your favorite role among roles that were in a game you played in?
If no:
Are there any roles you don't understand?
If you are anti-town, which role would you be

@Everyone -
If you were to design a game with a special (mystery!) win condition, what would it be?

What position (1 through 17) do you think is the lowest number to receive their choice and not a duplicate?

------------------------------------

Before sending in a pick, I asked questions about various roles. I think it's best to share that info:
The treestump is activated by claiming. After claiming, the treestump is considered a dead player that can post from the grave. If a treestump claims before the end of D1, the number of players alive will drop to 16 and the lynch numbers will change.
The SK gets a kill the first night. The SK HAS to kill the first night.
The restless spirit vote from beyond the grave is a public vote posted in the forums like any normal vote.
The double voter can choose not to use the double vote (vote singly).

This is so awesome haha. I have some concerns to be honest.

And I should I voice them or no? I am leaning towards yes, but if anti-town haven't thought of it yet then I could be giving them ideas which I would not like to do.

Roles I would have chosen:
Serial killer
Cop
Doc
Treestump

One of those 4. Stumpy is on there just so I could have made it to end game after getting killed very early on in the last 2 games.

I am actually going to voice my concern because if its out there it'll add to the WIFOA and possibly throw the mafia for a loop.

Caluin shouldn't have posted the order of picks IMO. For example: If I was mafia, My first target is 100% someone in the top 3-5 picks. They are hands down more likely to have major major power roles than anyone else.

In fact, Day 1 can be a crap shoot. Wanna put our heads together for a group think and see what position mighta chosen SK? Am I the only one who would have chosen it if they had a higher role?

Massive role claims also won't work in this game. Going to be god awful tough for the town to win. Lets hope townies got early picks and picked strong!

My head is already exploding from all the WIFOM

Another thought that pleases me greatly:

Noodle might need to die immediately. Alignment is random. If Noodle is mafia we are in deep deep trouble because he had free reign of every single role. Even the person who picked second had SOME chance to pick the same role as Noodle making him less dangerous and it just continues on down like that further and further.

Thoughts?

Small update:

Gambor replaces fluffyknowsyou. This alters the lynch count, since we're back up to the original 18. It is now 10 to lynch.

Thank you for understanding.

@Pyrotechnician - Fresh meat! I mean... Sorry.
Have you even played mafia before?
If yes:
Have you ever played as anti-town?
Have you ever won as anti-town?
What is your favorite role among roles you have played as?
What is your favorite role among roles that were in a game you played in?
If no:
Are there any roles you don't understand?
If you are anti-town, which role would you be

@Everyone -
If you were to design a game with a special (mystery!) win condition, what would it be?

What position (1 through 17) do you think is the lowest number to receive their choice and not a duplicate?

------------------------------------

Before sending in a pick, I asked questions about various roles. I think it's best to share that info:
The treestump is activated by claiming. After claiming, the treestump is considered a dead player that can post from the grave. If a treestump claims before the end of D1, the number of players alive will drop to 16 and the lynch numbers will change.
The SK gets a kill the first night. The SK HAS to kill the first night.
The restless spirit vote from beyond the grave is a public vote posted in the forums like any normal vote.
The double voter can choose not to use the double vote (vote singly).

Haha, thanks for the vast amounts of confidence, that's almost as good of a welcome as walking into the SPF.

So to answer your questions in the order you asked, no I haven't played a mafia game before, the only game I followed all the way through was the most recent one hosted by TC because I was to late for the sign ups so I was sure to jump in on this one with plenty of time left. I'm sure this will be a pretty fun time, although very chaotic just because its far different from a "normal" mafia game.

As far as roles go, I did some light research on most of them and used this site as a basis:
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:Roles

Assuming that the information on there is consistent with the role names used here I should be pretty set. Of course I did ask about specific ones I had an interest in before making a final choice. If I were anti-town in a game like this (and therefore not worried about night kills except the serial killer of course) and since I had one of the first choices I would have probably taken one of the "Normal" major town power roles, since even if I was lynched early on, I would be able to prevent them from having a specific ability that would tilt the game in their favor.

Based on other bits and pieces of mafia games that I have read, I think the possibility for a village idiot role is quite possible for the "mystery role". Depending on player judgement its possible that there are no vanilla players, however it is very unlikely. Probability has it that some of the first choices (possibly 4th or 5th) have a high possibility of repeat choices in order to try and secure any possible power roll that was not already taken.

Another thought that pleases me greatly:

Noodle might need to die immediately. Alignment is random. If Noodle is mafia we are in deep deep trouble because he had free reign of every single role. Even the person who picked second had SOME chance to pick the same role as Noodle making him less dangerous and it just continues on down like that further and further.

Thoughts?

Knowing the role someone has in a game like this has really no effect for a lynch unless we know their alignment and yes, that does give him free reign and that could be quite dangerous so he is a likely target for lynch today and if there is not a lynch and he actually is town then is a likely target for night kill as well if he is not mafia. Its too early to decide on something like this since we will need to decide if we want to risk losing a important power role first thing. Also if he is town, the mafia will probably pin him as a larger threat since his possibility of being something important are quite high.

Does that also make me the next most likely target if no new leads come up before then since I had second choice and my odds of picking the same thing were 1/25? Doesn't this also create the possibility of lynching a town power role in the first day? Obviously nobody likes being killed in the first day/night (including myself, this being my first mafia game) but from what I understand a lynch on the first day is much better than no lynch.

To answer a question proposed to me earlier: my role.... Hmmm.... if I had top choice, prob ninja or the mystery role. although, I'm sure we all had the same mindset in hoping no one else would choose the number one.

I'm really looking forward to this game. :)

Let me toss a question out there for you, at least the ones that know me and my play style better: You're me, you have the 3rd pick, what do you pick?

I'm also not so fond on lynching Noodle just because he had the first pick. His chances of being mafia are the same as everyone else. It's a very conditional thing to lynch him just because IF he was mafia, then he had free reign to choose. To be honest, were I mafia and on the no. 1 spot I would've more than likely gone for one of the mason roles. No better way to cover your tracks than to be chatting with a few townies every night, essentially winning their trust AND delivering their concerns to your mafia buddies.

Caluin shouldn't have posted the order of picks IMO. For example: If I was mafia, My first target is 100% someone in the top 3-5 picks. They are hands down more likely to have major major power roles than anyone else.

I like that CG posted the order. It makes WIFOA super WIFOA. Ten roles are more powerful if mafia choose early pickers: doc, bulletproof, watcher, bus driver, bomb, hider, SK, restless spirit (sorta), jailkeeper and party host. Some are more powerful for early pickers who pick those roles. Some are more powerful for anyone hoping to catch mafia targeting early pickers.

Massive role claims also won't work in this game. Going to be god awful tough for the town to win. Lets hope townies got early picks and picked strong!
Why wouldn't mass claims work? We've seen mafia versions of almost every one of the roles listed. Simple having one of the power roles should NEVER imply townie. In any game.

I was actually thinking in the same direction regarding whomever got the first pick before the pick-list was ever published...

otherwise, not much activity going on...

Want more action?

Vote: zemaj
Reason: Wanting others to create action while not contributing any action themselves is a likely tell from mafia wanting townies to drop more hints.

Small update:

Gambor replaces fluffyknowsyou. This alters the lynch count, since we're back up to the original 18. It is now 10 to lynch.

Thank you for understanding.

Egads. At first read I thought lynches were based on plurality (talk about WIFOA on top of WIFOA on top of WIFOA). With 18 alive, 9 votes means no lynch will occur? As soon as there are enough to lynch, a lock occurs? Will day end on a lock?

Also, does anyone else kinda assume Gambor has to be not mafia?

Egads. At first read I thought lynches were based on plurality (talk about WIFOA on top of WIFOA on top of WIFOA). With 18 alive, 9 votes means no lynch will occur? As soon as there are enough to lynch, a lock occurs? Will day end on a lock?

Majority lynch rules. The lock happens immediately upon reaching more than half the living players. Day will not end on a lock.

Yes, yes.. this is WIFOA

@mystery role: I have no clue other than VI. But I think I read sometime that Cal doesn't like VIs. Can anyone remember this?

To answer a question proposed to me earlier: my role.... Hmmm.... if I had top choice, prob ninja or the mystery role. although, I'm sure we all had the same mindset in hoping no one else would choose the number one.

Why ninja?

I'm really looking forward to this game. :)

Let me toss a question out there for you, at least the ones that know me and my play style better: You're me, you have the 3rd pick, what do you pick?

I don't know your playstyle that well, but'll answer the question anyways. Probably more from my POV than your's though..

I suspect that pick 1 and 2 (possibly 3) went for doc/cop. Since pick 1 is probably first in line for NK and doc is able to protect himself, I would've went for that. As pick 2 I would have hoped that pick number 1 got doc and go for cop.

OR I would've went for serial killer just for the fun of it. I can definitely see the possibility that one of the top 5 picks is the serial killer - especially the 3-5.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High