Cham rune - what to do with it?

drmalawi

Jul 23, 2017
Alright so I have one Cham rune. I found it pretty close prior to my hiatus 4 y ago.
1714570200352.png

Now, what to do with it? I was originally thinking about making Doom in berserker axe, which could be a nice weapon for Holy Freeze paladin, Blizzard Sorc (not best in slot I guess but now with the Sunder Charm mechanics in D2R where both conviction from merc's infinity and sorc's cold mastery only working at 1/5 it could provide an extra "edge" in putting monster resistances to negative values), and finally a nice weapon for some kind of fireclaw Druid by synergizing the Volcano-proc (does it actually work?)

Hand of justice
, also looks fun. But in order to make best use of it I guess one also needs at least Dragon runeword armor, which I am not really willing to make at this point. Then one has to decide if it would go in a melee-weapon or a Bow. Holy Fire paladin, Fire claw druid or Explosive/Immolation arrow amazon.

Pride, not so sure. Can the merc even do decent damage with it and stay alive via leeching in high player-setting games? Could be fun for melee builds, but I rather have Reaper's toll. Ranged physical builds benefits a lot from it I guess, like throw barb, who can use lacerator for amp dmg proc. Would be cool for a summon necro too I think.

Mist... why this when you can make Faith? Having 100% piercing attack to save some skill points and having another belt than razortail "worth it"?

Plague I am not huge fan of poison builds, but the lower resist proc could be fun on a tesladin perhaps? I can not think of any build that would use this for a proc, I guess one puts it on a Barb merc? But why when you can have act 2 merc with infinity?

Metamorphosis this looks very cool on paper, BiS for physical melee druids???

I am not so sure as you can tell. I prefer to play melee or caster. Ranged and summoning, not a big fan. I guess my top 3 choices at this point are Doom in berserker axe, Hand of justice in a 1H melee weapon, Metamorphosis :)

Thank you in advance for insights and ideas.

Reactions: little birdy
I have found two Cham runes in D2R. One continues to sit in my stash unused.

I used the first Cham in a 'Mist' bow (in a Matriarchal Bow base with +3 Bow skills). I really like the 100% chance to Pierce, +skills, resistances, and Concentration aura. I do not consider it a competitor against 'Faith' for Physical Bowazons (Multishot/Guided Arrow/Strafe) but rather a very nice option for Fire/Cold Bowazons. My character was a hybrid Immolation and Freezing Arrow. 'Mist' worked really nicely. I also think 'Mist' is a very nice option for an Act I Rogue mercenary. Very nice crowd control. She is freezing everything all the time.

My second Cham rune is intended to eventually go into a 'Plague' claw. The trick is finding the right base with the right staffmods. Perhaps I never will..! :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

'Doom' is an interesting option if you want to maximize Cold pierce on a Blizzard Sorceress, Hurricane/Tornado Druid, or Holy Freeze Zealot. I think repairs would be annoying with a Zealot and would lean more towards 'Doom' for a Blizz Sorc or Wind Druid. I'm not so sure the 5% ctc Volcano is going to help that much with a Fire Claws build. (Also it is perhaps worth noting that for piercing Cold resistance, 'Voice of Reason' is a much cheaper way to get -24% if you want to play around with that idea a bit before actually spending your Cham rune on 'Doom'. My Blizz Sorc has 'Voice of Reason' and Headhunter's Glory with Cold facets on swap for when I want to kill Sundered Cold Immunes a bit faster. It works OK but it has not convinced me that it would be even better with 'Doom'. But that's just me. YMMV.)

If you like playing Shapeshifting Druids, then 'Metamorphosis' is definitely one to consider. Made in the right base, it is certainly a contender for best-in-slot. IMHO it really comes down to how much you enjoy those builds.

I also like the idea of 'Hand of Justice', especially on a Holy Fire Paladin combined with dual 'Dragon' armor and shield. But that's a lot of Lo and Sur runes right there.

I see 'Pride' recommended as a mercenary weapon for various builds in different guides. I dunno. I'm not convinced it's a great idea. Not that I've ever been able to test it out. In any case, it's the last one I would consider.

Reactions: drmalawi
I also have found two Cham runes and used both.

The first was used to make Doom in a War Spike. It was intended for my PDR Bear and it worked well, but I made a mistake and made it in a superior axe and the repair costs were obscene. I did use it as the off-hand weapon on my Wolfbarb and it worked very well. If I hadn't made it in a superior axe I'd be using it a lot more. Doom is probably useable by the most characters.

The second was used to make Metamorphosis in a +3 Fury Wolf pelt. It is Awesome, but after using it on two characters I'm not sure when I'll use it again.

Like you I've got no real interest Pride. That leaves Plague, Hand of Justice and Mist. Since I want to make an Auradin some day Hand of Justice is on my list. However, I will also need to make Dream and Dragon too so that's not a near term project. Mist looks interesting, but I'm not a big Bowazon fan and I've already got Faith and Wrath and want to try Ice some day.

That leaves Plague and is where I'd use a Cham if I have it. Like littlie birdy I want to make it in a claw for my Agressin. I even have a claw that I'd be willing to put it in. Plague in a sword would work for several characters, but it won't beat Death Web for a Poisonmancer.

Cham the Shako! (My first Cham went there. But I guess that as first choice is likely out the window in D2R with no need to optimize MF builds, given Terrorized Andy.)

With caveat that I’m still in v1.14, I’ve found Doom to be a versatile option across builds. The other options seem more niche. All that said, I think that even one fun playthrough can be worth it, compared to gathering e-dust. Good luck with whichever choice — look forward to seeing the progress with it!

Yeah Chaming helmet for my mf zerker is out of the question :) I enjoy him with trangoul belt. Having ~5% more MF is not gonna cut it either, plus I have found Tyraels might so I am pretty sure holy grail will sorten out eventually ;)

@LouB offhand weapon for a wolfbarb was an idea I never thought of. That seems really usable. Have to take that build into the equation too. Thanks

Here are my random Cham thoughts.

I have dusty Cham in stash. If I had the other runes needed for Doom I'd have made that in a 2 hander (probably polearm because of possibility to give to merc). For me Doom seems like it has most bang for buck of the Cham runewords. I like 2 hander builds and Holy Freeze will give nice crowd control and safety.

Personally I hate running to town for repairs all the time so the 24 durability of 1-hander axes is a turn off.

If I'd have transitioned to D2R I might be making a Mist, just because the other runes in it are easy to find (already in stash). I do consider it more of a non amazon bow. The 100% pierce is not something you can get for non amazons (afaik atleast not in something that does adequate damage). Things that I could use it on: elemental ranger paladin, summon ranger druid. I could probably find other uses, for example on a rouge mercenary.

Also: Cham is a halfzodling and I keep thinking as I have found one, why couldn't I find another and upgrade it. So I don't mind it gathering dust at the moment.

I think all the Cham RWs are a beaten by others for general use. So make a cool character around it instead.

Doom - The_NightKing. Worked well, but not really the best choice on a non-themed build.
Pride - I have used this on two themed ranged characters. I don't like it much as the Merc always dies.
Hand of Justice - Aubec Yes, you really do want 2x Dragon if you want significant fire damage.

Of the new RWs:
Metamorphosis - I can't get enthusiastic about wereform in D2R since they "fixed" the attack speed and made it all dog slow.
Mist - I don't know. The damage and concentration looks interesting but... Fanaticism's speed boost is just too good for me to pick it over faith.
Plague - I would probably go for this one. Daggermancer may be interisting. Maybe some kind of kick/trap or WW trap assassin in Greater / Runic Talons. Got to be someting with poison for me, remember Conviction does nothing for poison, so the LR is invaluable for non-necros. Phase Blade and a Rabies Druid maybe?

Hidden option 7: Find another, cube a Zod and make eBoTD

@PhineasB I knew someone would be along with a "Cham the Shako" comment :)
I agree with you on this one drmalawi - I made one for PvP, but I don't think I used it PvM

I don't have anything insightful to add, but I am also sitting on a Cham rune in 1.14d, so I'll be watching this thread for ideas. :)

While I want Plague and Hand of Justice, I've decided that for the next year or three I'll save up those Chams to make a Zod. I was looking through my two hand swords for another project and found this eth colossus blade and decided to use up one of my socket quests. I think this will make a nice eBOTD

1715179135670.png

I made mine eBotD in a regular eth Colossos Blade. I have a zealot that uses it :) He feels so badass to play. Sure Grief + Phoenix is like 20% more dps but it not as cool!

I used my first Cham in a Doom Silver-Edged Axe for a Berserker I played for an MP group here. Not necessarily the most efficient use, I'll grant you, but it was quite fun! Enjoy whichever option you choose!
Sounds fun!

I also had an idea that if only I had two cham runes, then I could make two doom berserker axes and make a cold damage frenzy barb :p

Sounds fun!

I also had an idea that if only I had two cham runes, then I could make two doom berserker axes and make a cold damage frenzy barb :p
May I suggest a pair of Gimmershreds or Frostwinds instead for higher cold damage. :) HF is not that effective as a cold damage skill without its synergies. A double Doom level 24 HF would be a doing whopping 255-260 cold damage per hit.

May I suggest a pair of Gimmershreds or Frostwinds instead for higher cold damage. :) HF is not that effective as a cold damage skill without its synergies. A double Doom level 24 HF would be a doing whopping 255-260 cold damage per hit.
already made dual gimmershred barb. Also made elemental club barb (deamonlimb + nord tenderizer). I was mainly thinking about having double -cold res and having most of the dmg comming from charms and other gear slots

Reactions: SirName
@maxicek @PhineasB yeah for sure! Sorry I was quite absent in recent months, lots of stuff going on in RL and admittedly free time is mostly spent playing PoE rather than D2. :sneaky: Let's try to find a date in the next few weeks or so, I'll be out of town quite a bit still but should be possible to make it happen nonetheless.

@drmalawi from scanning the comments others mentioned basically everything, indeed the most useful options are probably Shako or Griffon's. Nowadays the latter would actually be my first pick as a Javazon and Mosaic Sin enjoyer, and with Cham'ed Shako not being really required for MF Barb either nowadays.

Pride also good for various fun builds like Bowa, Paladins with summ Hammer hybrid that want to use use something other than Conc themselves etc.

Metamorphosis: IMO its real potential is as a pre-buff item, thus in non-Druid base. In D2R I play HC and used it on several chars to make them beefier.

That being said, I also made all the other Cham runewords and had some fun with each of them, so can't really go wrong :) but in my book the above items are the options that will be used frequently rather than just 2-3 times for more niche characters.

indeed the most useful options are probably Shako or Griffon's. Nowadays the latter would actually be my first pick as a Javazon and Mosaic Sin enjoyer

Just to wear one more SoJ / BK ring instead of RF? So a Cham rune gives you +1 skills on those builds one could say?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High