Blade Fury Analysis

Re: Blade Fury Analysis

The one I have currently is like this:
Weapon: Eth suwayyah fury, it boosts my deadly strike to almost 100%. It also has ignore target defence, life leech, and decent damage.
Shield: 134 ED jewels monarch, I had a rare jewel in that that's too good to pass up, I only gave up a few % ED's and in return gives my 24 fire resist. It also has +16 str in total, ie. the ED total is 146%. With this, I have max block. Yes, you read it right, I have max block with a monarch.
Armor: Fortitude
Helm: Guillaume's, with a rather good jewel too.
Gloves: LoH is just too good.
Belt: Using arach right now for the damage, but am considering a T-gods. IF only razortail works with it......
Boots: Gores, that's obvious.
Amu: Highlord's, for deadly strike.
Rings: Ravenfrost for AR, manald for mana leech, hoping to get the manald replaced eventually.
Charms: Anni, torch, trap, and cold resist SC. The trap boosts my trap damage as well, so the lightning traps are strong enough to kill immunes.

Switch: Eth obedience that my old necro merc has. It gives enchant on kill. Being a glass cannon, she has enough str/dex to hold it.

She has no points in vita or energy, so every point contributes to 0.75% ED. Due to this, she's rather fragile. I have been dying a bit as well, as I have not gotten used to playing with a char with less than 500 life, especially since I skipped the shadow this time around.

Merc uses Reaper's Toll. It absolutely destroys Baal and PI's, if only he doesn't die first.

Last edited:

Weapon: Eth Stormlash+Jah... or better a Death ettin axe ?
Depends on your playstyle, and whether you intend to combine with kicks, etc. When I tried this weapon I didn't get much use out of the static field, since I had knockback + CoS and was sniping everything from far away. Death will do much more damage, but you may have issues with AR. If you're willing to max Claw Mastery, there are some nice options down that route.

Shield: Better Moser's with two of them ? Headhunter's with three ?
Definitely. The shields I used in my testing were just for damage calculation purposes. I wonder what the odds of a Jeweler's Monarch of Deflecting is. :scratchchin:

Helm: Guillaume's seems to be the best chioce.
Giant Skull works out pretty well also.

Gloves: LoH will add lots of damage to demons
I've been tinkering with Lava Gout's and a Fool's mod claw recently, but LoH is naturally great for damage.

Charms: Will trap skillers pay off well enough or should it be +max charms ?
As kavlor points out, +8 is better than 3 small charms with (3/2)*0.75

Merc: nm act 2 offensive (might), but which weapon ? I'm not sure if he will survive with Pride (not enough on-weapon damage). Infinity would only be useful versus bosses (the aura reduces defense rating of enemies). Insight, so I won't need mana leech ? Or simply Obedience for damage + CB ?
You should be able to manage with only a small amount of mana leech (Death has 7%). Infinity may be too costly if you're a bit stingy, and I've recently learnt that Blessed Aim + Pride is probably better for personal improvement anyway. If you can't solve your AR problems, you'll need to build your merc around that (so either Blessed Aim or Infinity). If AR isn't an issue, you've got more options. In either case, you'll want at least one damage aura out of him (so either Might or Pride), and the rest is preference.

can anyone describe the mechanics of play when using voice of reason with blade fury? does an orb trigger force a red-out of your blade fury and cause you to pause your attack, or are you able to attack unmolested by the casting of a timered skill?

Thanks for the reply!

Nice thread. Possibly a very dumb question coming up:
Is there any benefit in wielding a second claw when using Blade Fury? In fact, has this been tested?

I knew I missed something. Maxicek's thread in the SP forum covers some of this, but there are a few things I really ought to test for myself. As far as I'm aware, the only off-hand weapon mods that work are indirect ones, which don't affect the BF skill in any way:
Indirect mods
These always work regardless of which claw they are on:
- Resists
- FHR
- +Skills
- +Stats like life, mana, strength etc.

Is there any benefit in wielding a second claw when using Blade Fury? In fact, has this been tested?
Read this post in the Dual-wielding weapon mods that carry over to both attacks? thread for what should be a complete list of secondary weapon modifiers that apply to the attacks of the primary weapon. The following modifiers on the secondary weapon will increase Blade Fury's damage:

• Skill bonuses
  • Attribute bonuses (Strength and Dexterity)
  • -% Enemy Resistance
+% Skill Damage will be applied once to Holy Shock and Venom and Enchant when cast, but because BF is a ranged attack there'll be no second application.

Is it venom worth to be used with BF ?
Can we kill PI with it in Hell player 8 ?

Is it venom worth to be used with BF ?
Can we kill PI with it in Hell player 8 ?

iam not sure about killing PIs (it prob could)
but it is worth getting because it lasts only .4secs on a monster its done its damage by the time the next blade comes then it starts again^^

Han, i see that between each blades, we have 6 fpa, and .4 sec = 10 fpa (see in page 1).
And, the penality is 3/4 for the dommage with venom, again, .4*3/4 = not so much dommage for 6 fpa... i think, am i wrong ?

You are quite right. In fact, on successive BF strikes, Venom deals only 45% of its listed damage, not counting monster resistance and other such modifiers.

60% for the 6 frames out of 10
75% of that for 3/4 penalty

I think it would probably take a long time for Venom to kill the average Physical immune in Hell with /players 8. Especially since most of the physical immune monsters in Hell are also poison immune. Certainly one point in Venom is worthwhile, but maxing it may not be depending on your equipment and other damage sources.

So, the only way to remove PI immune, is to use curses like Amp or Dec on strinking ?
In that way, we can't use LT for ll :(

Edit : for somes purpose, i don't see a test with dual phoenix (weapons and shield), is it the ultimate one wich doing the maximum dommages ?

Last edited:

ya a ctc amp weapon or atams amu is prob the best way to get rid of PI
and remember you hit so fast it wont take long for it to go off^^

Edit : for somes purpose, i don't see a test with dual phoenix (weapons and shield), is it the ultimate one wich doing the maximum dommages ?
Weapon +%ED does not affect the skill damage of BF, so there's no more damage benefit to a Phoenix weapon than, say, a BOTD. The additional CTC Firestorm, however, will quite thoroughly cripple your rate of fire.

Ok, how do you calculate the stats bonus in the formula ?
Edit : Oh, i see, if 1 strong or dextx = .75 %ed so 250 *.75 = 187,5 %ed => 1,87

Last edited:

*noob 'Sin here*

I don't have the runes to make 'Fury' and I'll probably never see a rare claw like that.

Is there any way I can get 10k average damage per Shruiken with a non-claw weapon type? =D (I could make 'Chaos', but I would seriously prefer not to.)

I have the runes for 'Death' and I own a near perfect ethereal Stonecrusher. Any of these?

I realize this isn't a guide, and likewise, I'm just looking for numbers here. TIA.

Eth Ettin Death, max strength say about [highlight]400[/highlight], fortitude armor [highlight]300[/highlight] (nothing comes close to this damage, best other option for damage would be jewelers with enhance damage jewels) something to proc [highlight]amp[/highlight], and with [highlight]crit[/highlight] you could hit [highlight]15k[/highlight].

NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS:

495 * 0.75 = 371 + 103 = 474

8*474*2=7584 with crit

8*474*2*2=15168 crit with amp

(not including merc auras or anything)

I don't need to crunch numbers to tell you that all around EthDeath is better then Eth Stonecrucher.

Well, everything is better with Amp.

Now that I've finished classes for the year, I'll put together a Damage Calculator and link it in my next update.

There are just so many factors that go into damage though, it's difficult to say conclusively that Option1 > Option2, or Option3 will exceed X damage, because that says nothing about what your hit rate will be like, or how much Crushing Blow damage will be dealt.

To illustrate this, even a low ethereal 'Death' Ettin Axe will deal more damage than 'Fury', but without ITD you'll have trouble hitting. You could solve this by using a Blessed Aim merc and equip him with a 'Pride' to make up for the loss of the Might aura, but that's an even more expensive option.

Stonecrusher is alright, but again there's no ITD. An 'Eth' rune would help, but the one used in my tests was socketed with a 'Lo' rune, so keep that in mind when looking at where it ranked. Also note that it was PvP damage, so the 40% crushing blow wasn't working at full effectiveness.

There are other tricks you could try to solve the AR problem, Angelics + Demon Limb, for example, or investing heavily in CoS, but ultimately I think it's about finding a balance that works for you.

The 10k damage setup I listed includes an inventory full of Trap GCs, so it's not what I would consider ideal for PvM. Looking at it again I can see how 'Death' + Blessed Aim/Pride may even be superior. But then, as theBanger points out, there are other ways to increase damage, through pumping strength or using curses... it just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice.

In short, yes there are lots of ways to exceed 10k damage without using a claw type weapon, and eDeath is probably one of the best non-claw weapons to do this with IF you can live without ITD.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High