[Battle.net play / multiplayer]Small Guide to The "Budget Meph Quest Blizz Sorc"

Re: [Battle.net play / multiplayer]Small Guide to The "Budget Meph Quest Blizz Sorc"

The difference is that you will not get trash stuff when you run bugged Meph. All else is up to alot alot alot alot of runs!
Oooooooh, ok. That I haven't got. Great, thanks for straightening me out ;)

Re: [Battle.net play / multiplayer]Small Guide to The "Budget Meph Quest Blizz Sorc"

hey all,

i think this is a very interesting bug and i am going to build a character to exploit it, but I am going to go meteor/fb and static/es/telek. reason? i can solo meph in and 8 person game without dying using close to what i'd be using in a full-blown mf build.

right now my meteorb sorc is wearing full tal's with spirit and no rings; merc has eth doom, shaftstop and eth delirium. you may think oh, well, it's dependent on my merc's gear then with the -cold dmg and all, but it's not. i don't even use orb anymore against meph. i don't even moat him anymore. i tele right in front of him, cast ~14k meteor, static the eff out of him, he usually hits merc at this point, then i spam with high dmg fireballs until the meteor hits then it's done son for meph. so instead of a meteorb build, i am going straight meteor/fireball, 1pt static then i will do es/telek for extra protection with the remaining skill pts left, but i'm guessing there won't be much after fireball/firebolt/meteor/fire mast, but oh well, you don't really need protectin.

my final gear will be:
ptopazed shako
tal's ammy
tal's armor, ptopazed,
15% tal's belt
wep dont matter-- occy or high chuta
shield - spirit
switch wep: dual ist ali baba
switch shield: x4 isted monarch
rings: x2 pnagels
boots: p war travs
gloves: p chancies
high gheeds

this ain't a dream build as i already have all this stuff. with this set up (say you get to lvl 70) you'll have 646 mf + whatever gheeds/charms you want.. easily giving you 675+ if you grab some decent charms, even putting you around 700 if you really wanted. alternatively you could do this with a pally, with slightly diff gear of course, and wind up with around 600 mf (my lvl 93 pally has around this and does all areas), but sorcs will kill meph much faster, even in an 8 person game. this is personally what i would recommend for a bugged meph runner.

if ppl are timid to try this before results, i'll be building one in the next week and i'll let you know how it goes

Wouldnt it be faster, if using the moat trick exclusively, to go with firewall and firemastery?
Assuming crappy gear, the dps for a stationary target is far superior with firewall, given blizzards weakness against single targets, plus the lack of synergies lets you dip into a strong frozen orb as well. Then the character isnt hopeless against single immunities in other areas of the game/council.

I don't think so, because meph has 75 fire resist in hell, and with cold mastery, you can get cold resist down to -100. I didn't do the math, but they're at least close. Mephisto is big, so blizzard hits multiple times per cast, as opposed to tiny skeletons.

I noticed several people talking about not smashing the compelling orb. I was wondering... what does this have to do with anything? You can still complete the quest if you join the wrong game, right?

sorry to bump, but does this still work? I've Been doing this as described and have been getting loot comparable to what i'd get with the quest finished; Blues and rares.

Did they fix it or is the bonus just not that great?

sorry to bump, but does this still work? I've Been doing this as described and have been getting loot comparable to what i'd get with the quest finished; Blues and rares.

Did they fix it or is the bonus just not that great?

It still works. Blues and rares are quite normal for a quest drop. The blues are actually failed set/unique items. If you've done the quest, you'd also get junk like potions, scrolls, bolts and arrows. With a quest drop you don't.

Does this feature work on bosses like Andariel as well?

yes, you can quest bug any act boss.
Make / Join a game where the quest has been completed / can't be completed and then kill the act boss with a char that hasn't completed the quest.

How do I know the quest bug is working? I've been running Hell Meph and he has dropped only rares and blues for me over 7 runs!

It's not really a question of knowing if it's working or not. Either it is quest bugged or it isn't. You are either killing an act boss in a game where the quest can't be completed on a char that needs the quest completing, or you're not.

That said, non quest bug will drop potions / scrolls etc whilst quest bugged drops won't from what i understand.

A quest bug doesn't guarentee x uniques or y set items, it just increases your chances somewhat.
For example, in a 1 person game with 0 mf, Tyraels Might chance to drop off Hell Baal:
1:271020 Baal ~ 1st kill - [H] The WorldStone Chamber - {mlvl 99}
1:409739 Baal - [H] The WorldStone Chamber - {mlvl 99}

So whilst quest bugging (which is guarenteeing you get 1st kill drop every kill) will increase your chances of nice items the odds are still going to be quite low. [tho yes, i could have probably chosen a less rare item to use as an example :p].

a year latter now, still working? would be good to know for the ladder reset next week

Last edited:

I am also curious if this still works. Would certainly help my chances of obtaining some decent gear come reset time.

I am also curious if this still works. Would certainly help my chances of obtaining some decent gear come reset time.

This seems to still work. I have been doing it on NM Meph for a day and he has yet to drop any of the "bad" drop items. It has paid off got me a nice 34 res Vipermagi which is great for my sorceress right now. The drops have been rare, set, and unique items. I will hopefully be moving up to Hell Meph soon.

Yeah I've actually been doing the same thing, heh.

It's actually quite nice to rares/uniques every drop. I've basically geared my whole sorc just from nm meph runs.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High