[Battle.net play / multiplayer]Small Guide to The "Budget Meph Quest Blizz Sorc"

helvete1

Jul 17, 2004
www.facebook.com
[Battle.net play / multiplayer]Small Guide to The "Budget Meph Quest Blizz Sorc"

Hi all. I usually don't post in the char class forums, but I did a small search here, and I don't know how well this is known. If you want TC 78 (and down) unique/set/rares you may want to read on.

This is not in any way meant to be a guide I want to take credit for, because it really is merely a summary of parts of other guides, and I have forgotten where I first read them anyway (so if anyone know, let me know so I can add credits)

This guide is all about one single target (well, maybe three or four if you extend your games a little) - Hell Mephisto. Hell mephisto can drop items up to TC 78 (Balrog skin and the like) and he's mlvl 87, which gives him the ability to drop else uncommon stuff, like Arachnid Mesh, Azurewrath and circlets with +2 class skills. He can also drop any unique ring or amuet, and he has a habit of dropping facets.

Now, if you have run mephisto a while, either on battle.net or in single player, you should be real real tired of drops like 1 quiver of bolts, and 2-3 piles of less than 10k gold. Now, in single player, there's no way around that... but on glorious battle.net it is!

The feature 1st kill drop, AKA quest drop (not entirely correct, but since it's so common to mix them up, I'll just use the term quest drop) was introduced in patch 1.10. It was a change to what act bosses dropped when you killed them for completing the quest. If you kill an act boss when you are supposed to do that quest, the drop will have a minimum quality of rare, and no "junk" misc items (arrows, bolts, potions, gold, keys) will drop either. The only blue items that can possibly drop are "failed sets", which are items which have no set version (eg. a Tiara) and these will have 2x normal durability when they drop (if they can have durability). Besides that, the base chance for unique is a whopping 10% (meaning with 0% MF every 10th amu will be unique) and set is even higher.

As an example, the odds for finding a Rainbow Facet (any) from Hell Meph in a 1 player game, with 0% MF is 1:1211. On a quest drop, that chance is improved to 1:801 - Improvement of 33.9% in chance. That same improvement goes for all uniques.

As a second example, the odds for finding a Tal Rasha's Adjudication amulet from Hell Meph in that same 1 player game, with 0% MF is 1:11033. On a quest drop, that chance is improved to 1:7515.

But can't you only get the quest drop once? When you actually do the quest? Or can you kill meph in games where the quest hasn't been done, to "get the quest of that game" so that someone have to create NG to get act 3 done? - All wrong. Quest drops happen when:

"A character who does NOT already have completed the last quest in the act gets the killing blow on that acts act boss." However, it is irrelevant if the quest can be completed or not!! This is the only thing you'll find in bold in this post, and it's the only thing that matter. All you need to do is make a sorc, and FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR MAKER, DON'T FINISH QUEST 6 IN ACT 3: THE GUARDIAN!!!! If you do, that character will never again recieve a quest drop from meph.

Basically, all you need to do to improve your base MF is to only kill meph in games where the quest log says "You cannot complete...." and thus never go to act 4 or 5 in hell.

Not going to act 4 and 5 isn't that bad. You lose out on the best way of rushing (grush with leveling in hell Chaos Sanctuary) so you have to do it the old fashioned way. No biggie. You also lose out on the fat quest rewards in acts 4 and 5 hell. Hellforge rune (which could be a Hel for all you know), 2 skill points you don't really need, 10% resists you don't really need, Tal+Ral+Ort runes, the ultra lame naming thing, the socket quest (which is easier obtained by getting a rush to act5 normal with a mule) and the fat exp from the Ancients and Baalruns.

Well, getting down to the build itself. It doesn't have to be strong, since you of course use The moat trick. [EDIT: Picture links in that guide seems to be broken] You have probably seen the build before:

Pure blizz sorc (even ditching static and cold armor)
20 ice bolt
20 ice blast
20 glacial spike
20 blizzard
1 frost nova
1 warmth
1 telekinesis
1 teleport
X* cold mastery (When you have -175 enemy cold (with facets) additional points here are wasted)

No energy.
No dex.
Str for War travelers (95) but subtract 2 for Shako and 20 for Torch, and you're at 73 base str. (53 if you have an expensive Anni)
Rest in vita.

Spare points can be used:
1 static field (for killing cold immunes in the Ancient tunnels 50%faster with merc)
1 Cold armor
more in warmth (for drinking less potions)

*cold mastery depends a LOT on gear, goal is to get -175 to enemy cold resist, no more, no less.

As for gear, my suggested (low budget gear) goes like this
74% Shako PTopaz (screw defense, get a cheap one)
65% Tal Rasha's Adjudication (I listed the 3piece set bonus here)
112% Tal Rasha's Guardianship PTopaz
15% Tal Rasha's Fine Spun Cloth
(irrelevant) The Oculus as main switch (buy a Death's Fathom when you get rich)
(irrelevant) Lidless Wall (5/-5 cold facet when you find one)
100%+Gull dagger (Get a 2ist ali baba when you feel you can afford it)
25%Rhyme shield (any) or some socketed shield with MF jewel(s). Keep it cheap
60%2x Nagel (you will find these, so no rush paying good for 2x 30% ones)
40%Chance Guards (start with low ones, replace as you find)
50%War Traveller (you don't need 50% to start with, get 30% for pgems)
------
40%Gheeds (you will find this too, no rush)
20/xx sorc torch - Get a cheap 10/xx torch ASAP, and then upgrade later. Keep 2x +5str Large Charms as replacement until you can afford a better torch.
(Anni - this is overkill, but having a xx/yy/z anni of course lessens the need for str another xx points, gets another point in cold mastery and makes killing a little faster)
4x cold skillers, pref with 7% faster run/walk <-- No rush getting these. They speed up your killing, and saves 4 points of cold mastery

Suggested gear makes for +15 cold skills (with no anni; 6k blizzard), 70%FCR for "almost-safe" teleporting, and 500-650% MF, 1200ish life and decent mana and resists in the zero-range. More MF is possible by sacrificing skills/life/mana/FCR/resists (get skullder+50%amu+goldwrap instead of tals, or get 7%mfscs instead of cold skillers) but with 500+ MF this gains only a tiny tiny bit of "actual MF towards uniques". And it's more expensive.

And as a final note: Should you screw up, and get credit for the meph quest (happened to me twice; I'm a retard) don't delete that char yet. You can still use the same trick on Baal (or Diablo). It just requires a good merc and that you don't get quest credit for killing Baal (or Diablo).

Other nice places to run:
Andariel (quest drops no matter what)
Summoner (keys keys keys)
Ancient Tunnels (lvl85 area, no natural cold immunes)

Well... Happy hunting. Gimme a little feedback and suggestions too, if you try this.

Do you mean I must have a friend create a game, who's already finished meph while I haven't, and let me do the killing blow on meph?

To OP. Very nice find. The chances get quote a bit higher and making just an MFer with this for HELL Meph runs might be well worth it. The trick is known i guess, but not to so many around here.

Fuzzier said:
Do you mean I must have a friend create a game, who's already finished meph while I haven't, and let me do the killing blow on meph?

It doesn't matter if its your friend or infact another char of yours who created the game. It just has to be a game created by a character that has already finished the quest and thats it.

melianor said:
To OP. Very nice find. The chances get quote a bit higher and making just an MFer with this for HELL Meph runs might be well worth it. The trick is known i guess, but not to so many around here.

It doesn't matter if its your friend or infact another char of yours who created the game. It just has to be a game created by a character that has already finished the quest and thats it.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a bug and Andy's drops will always be treated as quest drops, whether you have finished that quest or not...

Is this bug fixed?

xniteman said:
I remember reading somewhere that there is a bug and Andy's drops will always be treated as quest drops, whether you have finished that quest or not...

Is this bug fixed?
No, the bug still works. Read this for more details.

So to sum things up, you need:
- a game created by a character that has already finished the quest.
- kill the Council Member in Travincal, but don't smash the Compelling Orb
- then join with a char that did not yet finish the meph quest, and kill meph with this char

Because you joined the game created by a character that has already finished the quest and thats it, the quest log will tell you "you cannot complete this quest" so the char will always keep the last quest

Is this correct?
What happens if the character that has already finished the quest (the one who created the game) kills meph?

As long as you have killed the high council and talked to cain after doing it, the "barrier" that prevents you from taking a portal to the Durance of Hate is gone. As soon as you get to act3, just do it the normal rush way, kill council, get a portal to the last WP, exit game, find a baalrun (or some other game where the creator has already gone on to act4) and kill Meph there. Then repeat. I have currently leveled from 75 to 84.5 on meph alone, and have found a LOT of stuff. Best quality drop has been 2 times 5 uniques and 1 failed set item.

So now we all know what we will do on ladder restart :)
Make a pure MFing char that never goes past end of Act3. You can pull this off for a while in Nightmare and later in Hell.

Lyndis said:
I'm doing this right now because I still need craploads of uniques and sets.

I might do this once i get my char up to speed. Now where is my second set of D2 Cd Keys to install on my wife's comp :)

A long time ago, I read about this in some other thread. The advice was for two people to co-operate, and one of them kills the boss to get the quest. The other person, who hasn't killed the boss, makes new games, but the boss-killer will always be the one who has already completed the boss quest.

FrostBurn said:
A long time ago, I read about this in some other thread. The advice was for two people to co-operate, and one of them kills the boss to get the quest. The other person, who hasn't killed the boss, makes new games, but the boss-killer will always be the one who has already completed the boss quest.
Well, that doesn't work. Try it out, and you will still see worthless things like gold, bolts, blue amus/rings/breastplates...

...unless they were running Andariel, ofcourse....

EDIT: This can be done with great success in normal and NM baal as well, and maybe NM meph if you're a lone wolf, and want to gear up before NM baal. I really don't recommend doing the Baal quest on normal until at least lvl 45 (still decent exp, and you can still kill baal in some games for the quest drop to happen several times) and on NM until lvl 75 (for the same reasons).

The key is to never kill an act boss you want to run, if the quest can be completed in that game. Works on all act bosses.

FrostBurn said:
Sorry, I got that messed up (hadn't had my coffee yet when I typed it up).

When two people co-operate, the first person kills the boss for the first time. Then, the first person will always be the one to make new games. The second person, who hasn't killed the boss before, and can't get the boss quest since the games created by the first person won't allow the boss quest to be completed, will then be the boss-killer.
That should be right.

Since I don;'t have 2 copies of D2, I'll just just public trading games. they almost invariably have alreayd killed meph.

Yeah, but isn't it annoying as hell when people join your "XYZ FT here" game and then MF on you. I'll MF in my own games thank you.

Join a "asdfasdfa" game to do that - or team up wih a friend. I've done this before, with my key runner - I run the keys, friend runs meph and andy. Leave the baal run games for the baal runners. Leave the trade games for the traders. Duel games for the duelers, etc.

I hate bad etiquette - even in open b.net pubbies.

MageChick said:
Yeah, but isn't it annoying as hell when people join your "XYZ FT here" game and then MF on you. I'll MF in my own games thank you.

Join a "asdfasdfa" game to do that - or team up wih a friend. I've done this before, with my key runner - I run the keys, friend runs meph and andy. Leave the baal run games for the baal runners. Leave the trade games for the traders. Duel games for the duelers, etc.

I hate bad etiquette - even in open b.net pubbies.

Or you could just join baal runs to do meph. Sometimes people get pissed off when you don't join up & do baal w/ them, but that's just silly, more xp for them if you're not there. Doesn't stop them from yelling though.

I do agree it's not nice to mf a game w/ just 1 guy there waiting to trade something. Big trade/duel games are ok in my book though :)

Edit: Thanks to OP for the writeup, by the way. I was wondering why Andy drops seemed really good for me, compared to other bosses. I'm definitely going to build a char to run meph now, seems like that's going to be quite nice.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High