Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Don't know where else to put this question, so I will ask it in Anything Goes D2 Lounge.

I am making an "Experience Calculator" and need some help from SPF community. I need an arbitrary list of "single target" runs for 99 leveling.
For example, in no particular order: Nihla runs, Seal Boss runs, Gripphon runs, Diablo runs, Lister runs, Baal runs, Blood Raven runs, Izual runs, Trav runs... I am sure I'm missing many more.

Any run that can be considered single target or group/pack (not the whole areas) that is used to level a char from 60 to 99.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know where else to put this question, so I will ask it in Anything Goes D2 Lounge.

I am making an "Experience Calculator" and need some help from SPF community. I need an arbitrary list of "single target" runs for 99 leveling.
For example, in no particular order: Nihla runs, Seal Boss runs, Gripphon runs, Diablo runs, Lister runs, Baal runs, Blood Raven runs, Izual runs, Trav runs... I am sure I'm missing many more.

Any run that can be considered single target or group/pack (not the whole areas) that is used to level a char from 60 to 99.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not really sure exactly what your goal is, I'm assuming since most of those targets aren't efficient for leveling it's a mostly for fun/what if type deal. Also some are really really good at lower levels, but bad once you're 97/98, and some are really bad early on, but really good at 98 (like nihla). And with that being said of course the exp penalty going down to only 5% of exp gained when you're 10 or more levels above the monster, then with the further exp penalty for levels over 70 it's like.. nearly zero for almost every target once you're 97/98 right? So most these runs are going to be astronomical numbers of runs to 99.

But still a fun thing to look at imo and I fully support you and I'd love to look at these that you didn't mention:

1. Pindle
2. Eldritch or shenk or both eldritch and shenk in the same run
3. AT runs (with some average # of boss packs since you're just running boss packs here)
4. Pit runs (same as AT)

Ohhh and you could also add in a terrorized option to see how that affects things, and with that you could add in some bosses that otherwise wouldn't be considered like Andariel or Mephisto,

Also maybe this thread will give you ideas or I'm sure you've already looked
If you wanted to make a really useful tool, you could make it so that you could calculate runs to your character's next level (since the most efficient target changes from level to level), Then add these input fields:

1. the desired run
2. your character's level
3. the desired /players count
4. your character's average run time for that run (optional)

Then it'd spit out the # of runs to your character's next level up and total time (assuming you entered an average run time). That'd be sick as hell and I'd definitely use the heck outta that. Probably a crazy amount of work to put something like that together though o_O

Last edited:
@NorthDakota beat me to linking the Compendium, and in particular Nano’s XP tables in section 3 (The Journey). Those are the three biggies pre-TZ, at least for 90-99.

Pindle, Eldrich and Thresh, and maybe Snapchip are other single targets that stand out (plus Andy and Meph), and possibly Council, for leveling. Especially if TZs are factored in, I think would be cool resource. And there may be some other quick single targets if terrorized, but I also think load times in D2R could counterbalance (full disclosure: I’m still almost entirely in v1.14).

Very happy to help provide feedback on this project. So please feel free to PM me

Not really sure exactly what your goal is, I'm assuming since most of those targets aren't efficient for leveling it's a mostly for fun/what if type deal. Also some are really really good at lower levels, but bad once you're 97/98, and some are really bad early on, but really good at 98 (like nihla). And with that being said of course the exp penalty going down to only 5% of exp gained when you're 10 or more levels above the monster, then with the further exp penalty for levels over 70 it's like.. nearly zero for almost every target once you're 97/98 right? So most these runs are going to be astronomical numbers of runs to 99.

There is also Party XP Bonus and Party XP distribution, int overflow (although this is fixed in D2R), XP cap... and there bunch of integer math behind it all. The full XP formula is somewhat complicated. Most of the work is already finished...

I have "developed" a tool that precisely calculates the received XP from any monster under any settings. trash/champ/unique/su/minion/boss... doesnt matter. The XP Calculator gives precise XP you get with all edge cases and limitations included...

But still a fun thing to look at imo and I fully support you and I'd love to look at these that you didn't mention:

1. Pindle
2. Eldritch or shenk or both eldritch and shenk in the same run
3. AT runs (with some average # of boss packs since you're just running boss packs here)
4. Pit runs (same as AT)

See, I knew about Eldritch and Shenk runs and that they are used in quick leveling, but I didn't consider Pindle runs. Thats what I need! AT and Pit runs are included. Included in what you may ask. Well...

I also have huge amount of monster quantity and distribution data. I can say, with extremely high degree of certainty, what type of monsters you will encounter in you AT/Pit runs and in what numbers! Since The Calculator gives XP per monster kill and now we have monster quantity numbers per Area, The XP Calculator can now show the precise XP you get per run in any Area! (on average)

Side note: Since we now know the average XP number per area, if you are getting less XP than what The Calculator shows, that means your seed is "bad" and it is producing less monsters than average. If you see lower density map, maybe you would want to re-roll you map...
Ohhh and you could also add in a terrorized option to see how that affects things, and with that you could add in some bosses that otherwise wouldn't be considered like Andariel or Mephisto,
Yes, The Calculator works for Terror Zones. This is the initial reason I wanted to make this. To compare how much faster are TZs compared to standard runs. As far as I know, this is the only XP Calculator that works for Terror Zones.
If you wanted to make a really useful tool, you could make it so that you could calculate runs to your character's next level (since the most efficient target changes from level to level), Then add these input fields:

1. the desired run
2. your character's level
3. the desired /players count
4. your character's average run time for that run (optional)

Then it'd spit out the # of runs to your character's next level up and total time (assuming you entered an average run time). That'd be sick as hell and I'd definitely use the heck outta that. Probably a crazy amount of work to put something like that together though o_O
Here are the Player Settings from my Calculator. Everything here is fully functional.

1698935512660.png

Based on these settings, the Calculator spits out XP for any monster in the game. And than it adds up all XP for the Areas and sorts tham from least runs to monst. Here is a quick mockup on how it will look:

1698933667879.png

This part is not yet fully functional. I am still gathering A5 monster data and testing edge cases (pre spawned monsters, tile spawn uniques etc...)

The idea is for the Player to imput there level and settings and get prices number of runs for next level. The Calculator will pull the TZ data from an api and show current and next TZ. (will think about this feature and if I should added it or not). I am also considering adding "Desired level" feature.

But this is where the "problem" lies... this is only number of runs. Not the time it take to level to next level. I can not possibly conceive the number of different builds and clear times. So the time part will be left for the Player to pick and choose based on their preference and build.

These are only "full" runs. From the Compendium you linked, we can see it is about XP/min. And some runs give way more XP per minute than full runs. For example Gripphon runs where you run only Vizier and Infector and Uniques in 30 sec. I now want to ad hoc as many Single Target/Pack as possible. There will be a 3rd part of columns with Single/Pack runs. Preferably want to cover all runs that 99ers thought throughout the years. Most Single Target/Pack runs will show huge numbers of runs needed for next level, but serious Player will know those runs take short amount of time and are better than full runs.

Pindle, Eldrich and Thresh, and maybe Snapchip are other single targets that stand out (plus Andy and Meph), and possibly Council, for leveling. Especially if TZs are factored in, I think would be cool resource. And there may be some other quick single targets if terrorized, but I also think load times in D2R could counterbalance (full disclosure: I’m still almost entirely in v1.14).

Very happy to help provide feedback on this project. So please feel free to PM me
Thanks for the imput. For example, I did now know that Snapchip run is considered an XP farming run. I know he gives a lot of XP in certain parts of leveling but I wouldn't put him on the list if you didn't mention him. Andy and Meph are included but here is a sneak peak: TZ Act bosses are really bad for XP.

Last edited:
I also have huge amount of monster quantity and distribution data. I can say, with extremely high degree of certainty, what type of monsters you will encounter in you AT/Pit runs and in what numbers!
is this info just from excel files or did you use some other method to get all this info?

I fully expected that you already had all this together already and had thought about everything I was saying haha. So I guess this is exactly what I expected.

But this is where the "problem" lies... this is only number of runs. Not the time it take to level to next level.

I agree it's not really a problem since that's an easy enough calculation to make yourself (or to add to the spreadsheet yourself) since you can just do runs X run time for one particular target. I wasn't expecting quite the amount of output you're providing here. like obviously you can't spit out how long till next level for everything at once, but you could easily do it yourself one at a time. So no biggy. I just envisioned it differently, like not showing ALL zones simultaneously, more like inputting parameters for each option individually. But I like what you've done better :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavke
Totally awesome idea. I agree that getting run times is not going to happen, and you haven't even mentioned the map layout that the character is running.

I agree that the TZ Act bosses aren't great for experience. Other than the Ancients I can't think of a single target that is really rich for experience in the normal game. You don't really run Diablo or Nihlathak or Baal to just kill them. In addition to having his experience nerfed, Baal is a level 99 character and remains the same when terrorized. So zero gain from him. I love running Andy, but it's not for the experience it's for what she drops.

It will be interesting to see if the data from your TZ data supports the conclusion that I reached on finishing the MFO - that you don't need to run the TZs at /P8. Rather it's a balance of how long it takes to clear an area at /P8 versus a lower setting.

One suggestion rather than list the areas alphabetically list them in order by appearance in each Act.

A couple of nits. Not sure how the Pandemonium Fortress can generate any experience. Did you mean the Chaos Sanctuary? Also, I'm guessing that you did it to make the name fit in the spreadsheet cell, but the name of the TZs are not fully shown. It's City of the Damn and River of Flame for example.

Reactions: Pavke
I'm going to have to take back part of my statement that TZ Act bosses aren't great. I do agree that the experience generated isn't that great, but the difference between normal Hell and TZ is significant. I had terrorized catacombs this afternoon and had time to run Andy 4 times with my level 98 Wolfbarb. I did it at /P5 and just her death generated at least 20,000 experience I also ran her just before the TZ started and she generated 600 experience. That's over a 30 times increase which isn't exactly shabby. Meph and Diablo won't have that same increase since they are higher level in the standard game.

Baal is the same whether terrorized or not since he doesn't increase in level when terrorized. I just ran him in normal and for my level 98 Wolfbarb he generated just over 52,000 experience. Back when he was level 95 Baal gave a little over 127,300 experience.

Totally awesome idea. I agree that getting run times is not going to happen, and you haven't even mentioned the map layout that the character is running.
The Calculator is meant to be used for online play too, so the monster data I have is from lots and lots of random maps.

It will be interesting to see if the data from your TZ data supports the conclusion that I reached on finishing the MFO - that you don't need to run the TZs at /P8. Rather it's a balance of how long it takes to clear an area at /P8 versus a lower setting.
For Terror Zones and char level 98, going from P5 to P8 increase experience gained by exactly 50%. So if your P8 runs are 51% slower than your P5 runs, you should stick with P5.

One suggestion rather than list the areas alphabetically list them in order by appearance in each Act.

A couple of nits. Not sure how the Pandemonium Fortress can generate any experience. Did you mean the Chaos Sanctuary? Also, I'm guessing that you did it to make the name fit in the spreadsheet cell, but the name of the TZs are not fully shown. It's City of the Damn and River of Flame for example.
The list will be generated and sorted from the least amount runs to most. Im still working on it. This is just a quick sketch I made in 15sec to showcase how it will look :)

I'm going to have to take back part of my statement that TZ Act bosses aren't great. I do agree that the experience generated isn't that great, but the difference between normal Hell and TZ is significant. I had terrorized catacombs this afternoon and had time to run Andy 4 times with my level 98 Wolfbarb. I did it at /P5 and just her death generated at least 20,000 experience I also ran her just before the TZ started and she generated 600 experience. That's over a 30 times increase which isn't exactly shabby. Meph and Diablo won't have that same increase since they are higher level in the standard game.

Baal is the same whether terrorized or not since he doesn't increase in level when terrorized. I just ran him in normal and for my level 98 Wolfbarb he generated just over 52,000 experience. Back when he was level 95 Baal gave a little over 127,300 experience.
What I ment to say is that TZ bosses are bad for XP per min compared to other monsters. Yup, TZ Andy at P5 give 21462 xp. Now lets compare that to:
Bishibosh Pack: 53,800
Rakanishu Pack: 51,271
Infector Pack: 111,864
Grand Vizier: 116,004
Shenk Pack: 124,056
Baal wave 1: 43,387
Baal wave 2: 129,456
Baal wave 3: 129,360
Baal wave 4: 188,628
Baal wave 5: 141,792
Tal Rasha's Unique Unraveler pack: 64,269
CS clear w/o D: 747,097

You will need to kill TZ P5 Andy 35 times while I clear one CS, in order to match my XP/min

@Pavke Ok apples and oranges and a little of talking past each other. Obviously, we have different definitions of single target. I don't see any of your examples actually being a single target. If your doing MF then you just knock off Bishbosh, not the whole pack. On the other hand your calculator is for experience and it makes sense to show the experience for the whole pack.

Which raises a question. What are you going to show for the experience and number of runs needed for Diablo and Baal? If running Baal I also have to do the minion waves and at least clear parts of the WSK and throne room before getting to Baal. So, if Baal is your target then all of the waves need to be included. In the same way to get to Diablo you have to open the 3 seals and take care of those packs.

TZ Andy isn't really for the experience, it's about the drops. If you were interested in just the experience you wouldn't just run and kill Andy. My point in showing the experience number was to show that the experience really isn't shabby. Unlike Diablo and Baal there is a lot of variability in the last level of the Catacombs, I've had 4 others bosses and no other bosses on runs. I don't know how you are going to come up with a number.

Thinking about it some more the main reason I've dropped to /P5 is that it allows me to have a lot more MF

Oops.
Screenshot815.png

With the exception of my 1.14 PvP characters and occasional farming to improve them, I essentially switched to HC when D2R came around.

To my own surprise I managed to finish 15 straight Guardians without a death.

But now, apparently it wasn't the best idea to get back into HC D2 with a niche yet kinda expensive build. The character was a Dream Zeal Enchantress and the gear lost included two Dreams, an Infinity and a freshly made +6 BO CtA in a +3 BH base. :rolleyes: We got tangled up in the room right before the Arcane Sanctuary portal, it was quite crowded and a bunch of effects so not even sure what caused the killing blow tbh.

I was going for P8 from start to finish, guess I should've tuned it down after A1 Hell, but she was wrecking everything and I only had one bigger drop in life just a minute before the RIP, so until then I had a false sense of security.

Yeah, melee Sorc not really tanky, especially with the Bear Dream build being crippled and no longer a real option in D2R.

I seem to have neglected stashing away gems of lesser quality than flawless and find myself in need of a ruby to glue together two Guls. What would be the fastest way to aquire a gem of normal quality? Just start a new char and upgrade chippies as you go?

Prob running nightmare cows or something
I seem to have neglected stashing away gems of lesser quality than flawless and find myself in need of a ruby to glue together two Guls. What would be the fastest way to aquire a gem of normal quality? Just start a new char and upgrade chippies as you go?
running

Reactions: SirName
I’d suggest to hit up 2-campfire LK with a sorc with teleport focused on chests. I think it will drop within 10 minutes. I had to that for a gem (I think mine was flawed quality) for a character and it didn’t take long.

Reactions: SirName
Thanks @coju and @PhineasB

All my sorcs had a good Hell map for some run so skipped Coju's suggestion which would have ment loosing a map. One sorc happened to be dedicated for LK so went with that. It took 3 LK runs. :) Got two rubies in that run btw. I had just not payed any attention to the lesser gems before so did not realize they were dropping there.

Reactions: PhineasB and coju
So I am just curious. Does anyone know, what it takes to run D2R in full native 4K max everything; smooth 144 hz? I am just setting some goals in mind for next year and since D2R is the only game I really play a lot ever since it came out, I thought I might start saving for PC that can run it perfectly, problem is that I actually did not really find anyone saying what does it take. I know D2R is hardly the most HW intense game but still, can it even be run fully maxed, native 4k, 144hz without drops today? And would anything less than say 4090 and 7800X3D suffice?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High