Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

Give it ten more years, and you'll figure you can step on them ;)

I once convinced an ex gf to play D2 with me... that lasted until she realised she could stomp the various critters. After that, that is pretty much what she was doing anytime she fired up D2... chasing rabbits, or more likely killing Duriel so she could stomp the slugs in Tal's chamber... it was kinda funny at first, but was kinda disturbing towards the end...

Incidentally, she was also the only player I had ever known to really run Duriel until @Zyr mentioned something about it a couple months ago...

I never saw any bunnies. Haxzors!

Here you go!

5XSKGse.jpg

Give it ten more years, and you'll figure you can step on them ;)
Once you find out that you can play football with the bunnies and the chickens, it's only a matter of time.

GREAT idea! A footbaal game with the chickens in act 1 camp.

You duel by chasing a chicken into the Cold Plains, then one player tries to chase it into the Burial Grounds, while the other tries to chase it into the Stony Field. Whoever hits their goal first gets to leech exp and items from 5 baal runs in which the other player must do all the hard work :D

Sounds like one of my favorite video game hobbies as a kid. Playing on my cousin's Zelda Ocarina of Time and going into town and pissing off the chickens and playing a game of 1 vs 20 football game. He did not find it as amusing as I did.

That story reminds me of when GTA San Andreas was out when I was in high school, me and buddies were learning how to enjoy flowers and booze and would have fun playing the 2 player. My buddy would steal a car and come by and tell me to get in and I would have my sticky bombs out and discretely slap one to the side of the passenger side door. After we drove around for a minute, I would hit that Triangle Button and do a tuck and roll out of the car and press my special button and BOoooooooooooM… no more car or my buddy :D

@T72on1 is that on Hardcore that you would go to Nightmare around 40? I was getting a level every 2 runs, even at 55, plus the drops from Baal, so I was sticking as long as I could. On softcore I know I would move onto NM asap. I finally did move on at level 56 and have teleported through much of the area and got the Inner Cloister WP, after doing the quests, so I am about to enter the Catacombs.

Being level 56, with ~550 Life, 270 Mana. 27% Block, 313 Defense. 45 or 65% FCR, depend on gear. 46% FHR. 89FR/47CR/75LR/60PR. 1600FB/3600METEOR orb/rhyme and 2300FB/4600METEOR leaf

My Merc now has an Insight Halbred, as I just found a 4 socket one in A1 NM. So this might be a game changer and merc become mainly tank while I rain fair nonstop. I lost about 200 max damage on merc, as he had a 211 damage Bec de Corbin with elemental damage. I gained a decent amount of minimum damage though. I figure my powerful fire skills with him tanking, are a lot better than relying on him or good damage.. even though Inisght is still decent damage. He has 1,065 defense. 369Def/24 FHR Ancient Armor, 5% LL Coronet and the Halbred Insight.

But even at level 56 and pretty damn good gear and stats, I still had some moments where half my bulb went down from a few hits when I wasn't paying attention. Advancing at level 40 seems like it would have been a lot harder and scarier lol.

I am playing untwinked and on Hardcore if that changes anything about the idea of going to NM at level 40.

I mainly play SC, so I can't really tell. In our untwinked HC group game we also advance to NM without really repeating any content except for everyone's forge, so we're usually level 40 at best. It's not really an issue, but then again things are more safe in a group of course.

So ... I don't know. Getting a few more levels, like you did, is probably the more sensible thing to do. But I'm not sure I'd be that patient. Regardless of your clvl, some enemies will always hit hard. So just stay cautious, and remember: offense is the best defense ;).

@T72on1 is that on Hardcore that you would go to Nightmare around 40? I was getting a level every 2 runs, even at 55, plus the drops from Baal, so I was sticking as long as I could. On softcore I know I would move onto NM asap. I finally did move on at level 56 and have teleported through much of the area and got the Inner Cloister WP, after doing the quests, so I am about to enter the Catacombs.

Being level 56, with ~550 Life, 270 Mana. 27% Block, 313 Defense. 45 or 65% FCR, depend on gear. 46% FHR. 89FR/47CR/75LR/60PR. 1600FB/3600METEOR orb/rhyme and 2300FB/4600METEOR leaf

My Merc now has an Insight Halbred, as I just found a 4 socket one in A1 NM. So this might be a game changer and merc become mainly tank while I rain fair nonstop. I lost about 200 max damage on merc, as he had a 211 damage Bec de Corbin with elemental damage. I gained a decent amount of minimum damage though. I figure my powerful fire skills with him tanking, are a lot better than relying on him or good damage.. even though Inisght is still decent damage. He has 1,065 defense. 369Def/24 FHR Ancient Armor, 5% LL Coronet and the Halbred Insight.

But even at level 56 and pretty damn good gear and stats, I still had some moments where half my bulb went down from a few hits when I wasn't paying attention. Advancing at level 40 seems like it would have been a lot harder and scarier lol.

I am playing untwinked and on Hardcore if that changes anything about the idea of going to NM at level 40.

It really depends on your comfort level and skill. I used to play primarily HC and still treat all my SC characters as I would a HC character and so, rarely die (except for now, as I'm not used to doing high-level repeated target runs). I rarely ever die on any character while questing all the way through Hell Act 5. It's mostly due to familiarity with the game, the class, the skills, or what have you.

In general, casters are much safer advancing to the next difficulty earlier than melee characters. The best advice I can give is just remain vigilant and ready to use full rejuvs. The game can very easily lull you into making mistakes. Most of the bosspacks will give you no trouble and can leave you unprepared when facing combinations of Extra Strong, Might, Fanaticism, Conviction and Extra Fast that will take you out faster than you can spit.

@Vildecor That is pretty much how I play. I have gone through several HC stretches on bnet before, but over the last 4 or 5 or 6 years (my concept of time is horrible), I have been playing Softcore, until now. I always played the SC characters with the number one priority to not die at all, along with usually making players 8 a rule for the entire time and playing untwinked when I am using characters, unless they are meant to be specialized ones PvP, area runners or if I had found certain game changing items, such as Griffon's, Death's Fathom, that Unearthed Wand I have NEVER found, ever, and etc. etc.

I am the type that reruns certain areas when I get to them, usually in all acts. Places like Normal Countess for obvious reasons, Normal Andy occasionally, Normal Meph occasionally, Eldritch/Shenk/Pindleskin Runs in all difficulties for great XP and occasional good drops, Normal Baal until level 55ish this time on HC specifically, and now I am running Nightmare Andarial at level 57 and hoping for some goodies. But Mephisto in Nightmare, along with Shenk/Eldritch/Pindle and then Baal later on and of course Andy and Mephy in Hell, and then Pindleskin to get great XP to strengthen up before I am brave enough to do a CS or Baal Run, if I ever get that brave on a HC Sorc. I may limit myself to Hell Mephisto and Hell Pindleskin in the end.

The issue with it being HC, has really kept me on alert. Although individual attacks on me do little damage (~565 life/337 Mana -- |69FR|60CR|62LR|75PR(Put Death's Gloves on for NM Andy Runs, adding 75% PLRB) -- 27% Block with Rhyme Bone Shield.

Now with pretty good stats and small hits from monsters not doing much, I had a few situations where Andy got a hit or two on me and a cold enchanted ghoul boss died next to me and knocked me down to around 200 HP while I was poisoned, which was scary and looked extremely low when looking at the bulb, even if it doesn't sound like a crazy brush with death. I am just afraid that one ironic bad combination will kill me. I am trying to clear out areas from a distance better, staying back further and not trying to aggro Andy until the main things are cleared out in front of her.

I have this issue, that stems from Softcore, where even though I rarely died, my characters were so strong and I didn't have to really worry about severe consequences, so I would constantly be in the thick of things. Especially with Sorceresses, my favorite character, the one I've spent probably 90% using and ones where I am so comfortable with them, that I can get into massive piles and maneuver so gracefully that I don't fear dying at all. I will just have to focus builds more defensively, something not so necessary on Softcore, and stay out of big groups and always let my Merc draw the focus.

Since I started doing NM Andy, I have found a Nagelring, Visc +1 Sorc Shield(Use Rhyme though), 4 open socket Halberd(no more mana problems with my Insight!) 4 open socket Long Sword(super stoked about that one! Have a Spirit Now(33%FCR), other sets and uniques that I had not found yet. I have her bugged, of course, so I hope to eventually land some better gear.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this and have for at least 10 years, but when you get Andy glitched (kill her, take the auto TP that forms after her death to town, talk to Warriv and travel east and then Save and Exit and you're good to get quest drops from there on) she will drop the quest drops and Magic Find will play no role at all in the drops from her, correct?

I really wish you could still open multiple D2 copies on 1.14d, I would get my Druid(only other HC Char currently, he is Fissure/Tornado now, but will turn to Tornado/Hurricane later) to beat NM Mephisto and host games with him and do glitched NM Andy and Meph Runs in the same game. I miss the days where I used to run glitch Baal or Mephisto games on Bnet or SP. Maybe I can find someone to run TCCP/IP Games with glitching. I hear there is a program or method around this, but I am not computer literate anymore in life, like I was during D2's earlier years when I knew how to set up all sorts of things and computers were easier for me. Now I am dumber than the average computer user, when it comes to new stuff.

I hear there is a program for multi instances and patch changing, but I tried the patch changer and I couldn't get it to work and had to start a 1.07 game on my Dad's laptop after he passed recently (RIP). I wish I would have went further back in classic D2, but I have a Sorc on the 1.07 verison on his laptop and haven't used it in awhile, I got bored of the game and when I found out that the two main items I was wanting for a classic throwback to my 1.09 Bnet Hydra/Thunderstorm Sorceress that WRECKED, were items that could only be obtained by running racks and I didn't want to do that.

I wanted to find a 1.07 Shako/Valor from monsters and finding specific racks seemed tedious! I have been thinking about upgrading the Sorceress to 1.08, which is what the ones online I had were from, but I know finding them from bosses are very slim, but still better than having no shot whatsoever. Also upgrading to 1.08 I think would take away some of the other things I was intrigued by, such as the elite max damage/life/resist charms.

It would be awesome if I could figure out how to at least multi instance on my computer and then at least be able to set up a version switcher on my dad's old computer, so I could find really cool rares from early classic only patches (1.00-1.06) and then finding some of the really cool collector's/elite items from 1.07 and 1.08, such as my two favorite items I ever had on my Hydra/TS Sorceress, 1.08 Valor/Shako, plus other items like the Valkry Helm, crazy charms, rings, rares and other items that I am missing from 1.07-1.058.

Hopefully one day I will figure it out lol. Thanks for putting up with the long post, that spanned over a few different topics. The main point was that I am scared of being lulled into a false sense of security and then getting blasted and losing it all in a second, although this makes it more exciting to get good items.

I do have a question about how close you have to be to a Nightmare Fire Enchanted Boss, for his death explosion to hit you? It doesn't seem to much damage at all to my Mercenary when he is fighting the Fire Enchanted Boss and kills him, even on players 8. At least not enough damage to see his health bar go down. How dangerous is the Nightmare Fire Enchanted Bug and how weary should I be of it loll?

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this and have for at least 10 years, but when you get Andy glitched (kill her, take the auto TP that forms after her death to town, talk to Warriv and travel east and then Save and Exit and you're good to get quest drops from there on) she will drop the quest drops and Magic Find will play no role at all in the drops from her, correct?

No, MF still increases the chances of finding items with quest-bugged Andy. She just has higher drop chances than when she's not quest-bugged.

I do have a question about how close you have to be to a Nightmare Fire Enchanted Boss, for his death explosion to hit you? It doesn't seem to much damage at all to my Mercenary when he is fighting the Fire Enchanted Boss and kills him, even on players 8. At least not enough damage to see his health bar go down. How dangerous is the Nightmare Fire Enchanted Bug and how weary should I be of it loll?

Not sure about the radius. The bug does NOT affect the mercenary. The danger comes from monsters that have high health. I've only had p8 Geleb Flamefinger cause a OHKO. No issues elsewhere, even on p8.

Vildecor covered your questions really well :).

To add to this, more info on FE explosion can be found here. I also found this very good post explaining why it's so lethal at times. It's from 2004, but I think most, if not all, still applies. FE Geleb is a well known cause for OHKOs that way, but also Ancients come to mind.

Talking about the unique Dagger Fleshripper made me realize once again just how much of a shame it is that a lot of cool unique, set and runeword weapons (almost) never get used because a few runewords trump all competition. What better way to do something about that than with a Frenzy Barb, who can use 2 weapons at a time? I also happen to absolutely love Frenzy Barbs, but haven't made one yet after my restart here.

So ... Frenzy Barb incoming at some point, who, at endgame, will use dual Daggers for a while, then double swords, axes, flails, ... I'll most likely make a post about him when he reaches endgame, to document how he performs with different setups. Heck, I might even start such a thread today, just to get the ball rolling. By now everybody knows how much I can get carried away, so no one will be surprised if I do ;).

@T72on1 I think a Frenzy Barb with Stormlast(I think that is the one with CTC Static Field?) and something else, would be great. I actually made a Frenzy Barb, but my Zealdin with a Grief was so much better, I just don't use him much and go on him just to check out the cool Runewords. I have him with a eDeath CS and an eOath Conquest Sword, Duress(because my only Fortitude is on my Zealdin at the moment, can't afford one for him unless I swap em around), 6LL Arreats w.38%ED/7FHR Jewel and some of the other basic stuff. But I do think Frenzy Barbarians are fun, I just get wrecked pretty quickly with him in harder areas and it's hard for him to deal with large packs. That is why I think a Stormlash would be awesome, but I do not have one.

I wanted to make a Barbarian due to being able to MF relatively fast with certain builds and mainly because of the ability to pop the good monsters, turning MF runs into like a run and a half instead.

I probably need to find a good build guide for the Frenzy Barbarian and some advice on how to make him better. One option would be taking Fortitude and Grief off my Zealer, but not happening, I love my Zealer. I guess I will have to build more wealth to make him good. I am fixated on Hardcore right now, so that will be a long time away. Doing NM Andy Runs and trying to upgrade a couple items before I get to the target that I really want to MF, NM Mephisto. He can drop some really nice Sorceress items for starting out fresh.

I hope to see your Frenzy Baba with a Stormlash one day!

Rest assured: Stormlash is definitely one of the two options for the mace Frenzy variant ;).

Pentagram of Thunder!!!

WMXCQIn.jpg

(No, this is not a coincidence; it's is an actual AI move that they have!)

(And no, the character is not legit, but this is all it is used for. :D)​

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High