Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

I know there are builds where an act 1, act 3, or act 5 merc are decent/acceptable, but are there any builds in which an act 1, act 3, or act 5 merc is actually BETTER than an act 2 merc, given equally fancy (or not fancy) gear?

Sure, any build that doesn't use mana, doesn't deal elemental damage, and doesn't do physical damage.

A wf zon with faithful merc is about the only one I can really think of that is considered equivalent. Needs the ias, can supply own physical damage curse, and has tank already, etc.

I know there are builds where an act 1, act 3, or act 5 merc are decent/acceptable, but are there any builds in which an act 1, act 3, or act 5 merc is actually BETTER than an act 2 merc, given equally fancy (or not fancy) gear?

In the days of yore, we didn't have Insight polearms, we had to worry about Iron Maiden curse, and we couldn't afford Infinity. Go back far enough and you could bug an A1 Rogue to use Diablo's Lightning hose attack. I distinctly remember a day where the A3 cold merc was the go-to option for hammerdins, since it could wield Lawbringer and was not subject to IM.

Of course these days there's really only three merc weapons worth having: Reapers, Insight, and Infinity. Choose your armor, either Fort, Treachery, or GA. Then stick on the hat of choice, Andys', Kira's, or Delirium, and you're pretty much done. A2 is a powerhouse and the above items make such a huge impact on gameplay that it's almost a fool's errand to deviate.

Having said that, I totally used an A5 Lawbringer Barb on my Twilight themed fury wolf just for the sparkles.

A1 Faith mercs are very good for melee characters, especially the more unusual builds which normally benefit from the IAS boost. Ice is also useful if you only want your merc for slowing things down.

Locked out of my other account, but found my way back into this one. Anyway, I wrote a quick article re: the recent Polygon gaming controversy, and I mentioned you guys in it.
https://medium.com/@harperreginald1/wtf-is-wrong-with-polygon-3dad9dddda88
Towards the end I mention the theorycrafting that @Gripphon et. al engage in, as well as @maareek 's innovative character builds and @Maltatai creative back stories. The article was shared around quite a bit in the Twitter verse, which was cool. :)
Funny thing is, I looked briefly through the thread a couple of days earlier and saw Gripphon and maarek talking about chess and thought...??? what's up with this thread? Chess? Now that I've read your article it's finally starting to make sense :). Well done defending the art of games and thanks for the mention, that brightened my evening.

Locked out of my other account, but found my way back into this one. Anyway, I wrote a quick article re: the recent Polygon gaming controversy, and I mentioned you guys in it.
https://medium.com/@harperreginald1/wtf-is-wrong-with-polygon-3dad9dddda88
Towards the end I mention the theorycrafting that @Gripphon et. al engage in, as well as @maareek 's innovative character builds and @Maltatai creative back stories. The article was shared around quite a bit in the Twitter verse, which was cool. :)

Nicely written article! There are a couple of (video) games I keep on playing and coming back because there is is always something new to discover

Question here:

I like to play with the sound on, but I also like to watch videos on my second monitor while doing repetitive runs like LK, Pindle, or Meph. Now I don't have a problem balancing the game sound with the videos except for one thing: The title screen music. The title screen music is super loud and does not seem to be affected by any volume controls in the game. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I thought maybe there might be a third party program that can balance multiple sound sources or something? I don't have any experience with that if there is one. I know I can play with -nosound, and I occasionally do that, but I was hoping there might be a better solution.

control+M I believe. You can change music and sound with control+S. But these turn off the music and sound.

If you're on windows, you can usually control the volume for each application from that little speaker icon in the tray. Haven't tried it myself because D2 makes my other monitor show half the screen it is supposed to show, and half the screen which would show if I hadn't been running d2. I like full screen d2, so I never bothered with windowed mode.

You are both right, and thank you! Both easy answers as well. Ctrl-m on the title screen mutes all music, which does the trick, as I can handle no music. And the mixer also works well, never thought about that!

Nicely written article! There are a couple of (video) games I keep on playing and coming back because there is is always something new to discover
On of the founders of BioWare, Ray Muzyka, shared it on his Twitter, and it has 5.2k views and 23 recommendations on Medium, so I guess you guys are famous now. ;)

I've always been famous, but it's nice that now others know it too. ;p (Thanks, again, for the kind words.)

Do scourges drop from rack? I've been searching for a 1.09 scourge rack for a very long time and I've yet to see a single scourge drop. Also are 1.09 racks less stable than 1.07/1.08 ones?

Last edited:
Of course these days there's really only three merc weapons worth having: Reapers, Insight, and Infinity. Choose your armor, either Fort, Treachery, or GA. Then stick on the hat of choice, Andys', Kira's, or Delirium, and you're pretty much done. A2 is a powerhouse and the above items make such a huge impact on gameplay that it's almost a fool's errand to deviate.
Other viable helms I like: Tal's (long underrated, IMO), Gaze (which I think is long overrated b/c it lacks res), and G-Face. Never really liked Andy's b/c of negative fire res and I mostly run Baal or Nihl these days. Wave 3's Hydra's really do a number in v1.13, and so no-go there. And Delirium is the only proper helm for Nihl.

Two other armors: CoH - a mini Fort with leach and some PDR. Great (best?) armor for Infinity-wielding mercs that don't get leech from the helm. G-Bane is also very solid, and the only armor of choice for a Nihl-runner.

Other viable helms I like: Tal's (long underrated, IMO), Gaze (which I think is long overrated b/c it lacks res), and G-Face. Never really liked Andy's b/c of negative fire res and I mostly run Baal or Nihl these days. Wave 3's Hydra's really do a number in v1.13, and so no-go there. And Delirium is the only proper helm for Nihl.

Two other armors: CoH - a mini Fort with leach and some PDR. Great (best?) armor for Infinity-wielding mercs that don't get leech from the helm. G-Bane is also very solid, and the only armor of choice for a Nihl-runner.

Oh yeah I agree with G-Bane on the merc, CBF is nice and I like the idea of a Sol or Mal in that armor to make a real tank. Also agree that Gaze is overrated, but I guess it has niche use for mega MDR builds. I personally just rock a cheap Ral in my Andy's to negate the fire res penalty and call it good.

If you trigger an evil urn with telekinesis to be on the safer side, is it possible to do so from a position where a bosspack can not spawn? I tried it today from just in sight but still had a viper pack right next to me, which would have been on top of me had they landed just a little bit north.

It's worse than stairtraps in a way because with stairs you can cloak and such immediately but with urns you must wait until the monsters land which means it's much harder to time perfectly, and a premature cloaking might be deedsastrous.

I don't think you can ever be completely safe from them spawning on you. I know that if you manually touch the urn they can spawn of screen still. So that makes it seem like there is never a spot far enough away.

TK should help your chances a little to be safe, but it's always risky.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High