2023 Spring RFL Sign-Up and Running Thread: Round 2 (Moo Moo Farm)

Back from my trip over the weekend, and it’s been fun to catch up on posts. No concerns on my end to have the theorycrafting around Mosaic here; agree with @ffs that we’ve had good discussions in RFL threads before that have become good references. But I also agree that hopefully those can be pulled in or linked in a future Mosaic guide.

I haven’t been able to play yet and may end up needing to skip the round because my left hand had some discomfort again after Round 1. Hoping another couple of days break from playing sorts things out.

With all the Mosaic Sin discussion, I didn't get around to uploading some gameplay video until now. Had to cut the last 15 seconds due to a qualifier!

The first 3 runs were with Dragon Talon. Charges are PS2, BoI3, CoT3, FoF3, CS3. FoF was left at level 30 for some leech. I didn't feel the need to charge TS since the leech with base kick damage was enough for softcore. I forgot about setting to players7, so the runs were a little harder than it needed to be at players8.

The next 3 runs were with Dragon Tail + Death Sentry. Maxed skills are DTail, TS, CoT, PS, with remaining points into DS. DTail alone was enough for smaller groups, but generally I'll first drop a couple of DS while waiting for conviction to apply. PS2 provides some supplemental AoE damage, and outside of cows, it provides a way to damage fire/physical immune or resistant monsters. I could have added CoT charges in as well, but my eyes needed a break after the DTalon play.

My DTail damage is enough to 1-2 shot P7 cows with conviction (depending on the damage roll), but in order to reliably 1 shot cows, I may need to go down to a 65 FCR setup for more damage, or play at a lower player count. Not sure which approach would yield better run times though, but I think I'll stick with this for now. Run times are similar to DTalon variant.

Being able to 1-2 shot monsters with DTail has another benefit: avoiding client/server desync. Similar to strafe bug back in D2LoD, if you hold down DTail against a monster, the client side animation and server side calculations become increasingly desynced the longer you hold down the mouse button. There will be some empty hits and general desync in movement as the server side tries to catch up to the faster client side.

Additionally, I opted to use Cobra Strike on charge 2 to lower the leech %. With charge 3, I always overflow on leech with the massive DTail damage, and as a result, end up not leeching at all. With charge 2, the leech still overflows for the majority of hits, but a low roll on DTail damage allows me to leech. Enigma LPK is usually enough for life, so the occasional leech is needed for mana. I also opted to run with just 2.1k life in order to boost kick damage through pumping strength, so it can be a little scary with amp/might around.

Reactions: ffs
@Nano Have you tried DTalon runs without CoT charges? Just wondering how different gameplay styles and gear choices across players affect the question/decision of whether or not to use it. I'm still unsure and going back and forth a bit, but overall tend to prefer running without CoT.

Nice to see the gameplay with Death's Sentry, indeed seems to work nicely for cows. Although apart from you dropping to 2k life on purpose, your life bulb moved a little too much to my liking with that setup/approach, but that's mostly my HC perspective. :) I assume you're avoiding BoI (and all the safety it provides) due to corpse shattering, but have you tried running it anyway? Thinking perhaps there are still enough corpses for DS to be effective.

I didn't try running without CoT before I respec'ed to DTail, but it wouldn't surprise me if it made little difference. A lot of Mosaic variants are viable and I wouldn't notice a few percentage difference without some long duration testing. It'd be easier if we had a kill counter working for D2R.

I'm able to min/max more on softcore, but a safer variant of the DTail build should be fine too. With BoI, the freeze radius looks a little smaller than DTail radius, and about half of the corpses shatter. DS should be ok here as well. I also tried running DTail without DS, but with BoI and CoT charged up as well. There are some stragglers remaining here and there, but run times were about the same.

Still at 7 hours, 8 qualifiers. Work exploded this week with no time to run. Good weather and a bunch of plans this weekend too, but hoping to get some hours in nonetheless.

Again a bunch of good non-qualifiers, including a 38% ED RJoF and a couple of skillers with a bit of life:
RJoF Screenshot710.pngScreenshot679.pngScreenshot683.pngScreenshot677.pngScreenshot686.pngScreenshot688.pngScreenshot694.pngScreenshot713.png

I really want to try Nova Sorc for cows before this ends. Always been one of my favorites, especially for cows, and even stronger with recent buffs plus now also having Griffon's in HC (even found another one from Andy earlier this week). Still need to level another Sorc though and also have a few other Guardians in progress or on my to do list. I'll go up to 10h with Mosaic for this round and then see how much time is left.

Reactions: Jpy and PhineasB
20 hour set finished with the Dragon Tail Mosaic Sin, seemed to perform about the same as the Dragon Talon variant. 3 charge Cobra Strike leeches reliably now, not sure what changed since the initial testing. Maybe overflowed back to positive leech values..

Started a second set with Nova Sorc. I'm using the scythe Infinity setup that I've used in past RFLs, but it is now much stronger with the nova synergy + Torch/Anni in D2R. Against cows, I think other setups like CMoon/Spirit, Eschutas/Spirit, Obsession, or even Mang Song's are more damaging, but I like the QoL of Meditation that comes with self-wield Infinity. Insight/Cure/CoH on Prayer Merc now provides triple heal at 75 life per 2 seconds, along with cleansing aura to clear poison/Amp. Energy shield at 90% absorb already feels more than necessary.

I am up to 10 hours, still 8 qualifiers.

Took a break from cows and spent a few hours to get a Nova Sorc to Hell.

Having tried numerous setups on previous Nova Sorcs, I'm aiming for the below setup which is very close to what I preferred in 1.14 for Cow running in SC. I considered a max block setup for cows in HC, but with ES I didn't like the resulting life/mana values, and I definitely want ES.

Griffon's (facet, MPK jewel or Sol)
Arkaine's (MPK jewel or Sol)
Hoto
Spirit
+2 FCR amulet
2x SoJ
Verdungo's
Frostburn
Silkweave

Infinity Merc

HC-specific tweaks vs my SC setup are Verdungo's and Hoto over Eschuta/CM and Arach to get high life replenish and some extra life, DR and FHR for mana burn situations.

8 MPK with Silkweave and one MPK jewel is sufficient, although a little bit on the low end. When adding second MPK jewel, with >10 MPK mana upkeep is really comfortable. CM setups with Viper and Silkweave results in 7 MPK which for my playing style was cutting it a bit too close. But there are other options such as Que-Hegan's and Lidless Wall to increase that. Personally I prefer using Arkaine's and Spirit in these two slots, they just bring so much to the table for Nova/ES Sorcs.

Hoto/Eschuta/CM setups are all good though and gameplay difference is really minimal. Against Cows (other than LI bosses), CM and Hoto provide almost identical damage output. Hoto has the benefit of life regen (nice for ES builds), the option to cast Oak Sage, and higher static range. Now that SF is maxed I'm not sure whether that's good or bad. Even in 1.14 players like Gripphon disliked very high SF range since it can break up and scatter perfectly clustered cow groups from afar.

Re self-wield Infinity, I guess in the end it just depends on how highly you value the QoL factor with Insight/Prayer Merc. I don't value it that highly :) considering the things that need to be sacrificed for it. Lower damage is one downside, but now with the SF synergy I'd assume damage is still going to be more than enough, so that's not a huge factor. The bigger downside in my book is just a general lack of stats across the board. Life and mana amounts are lower and integer PDR and FHR (relevant for mana burn) are hard to integrate and quite low in any case.

Obsession is a great option and could be my preferred choice in HC specifically, but despite picking up all War/Rune/Archon staffs I see, I haven't found a suitable base yet. :( I want at least two good skills (ideally Nova + Blizzard) with +2/3 on there, but no luck so far...

Last edited:
Here's a bit of gameplay with freshly Guardian'ed Nova Sorc using the Hoto setup described above. Not really trying to be super efficient yet and picking up numerous items, but still runs are quite fast. IMO with the Nova buffs she's at the same level as Necro/Assassin/Amazon for cows.

Also demonstrating 8 MPK already provides great mana upkeep with minimal pot use.

5.5k max Nova damage with this initial setup. ES is at 85% and I don't think I'll go any higher... the life bulb barely moves at this point, with 22 iPDR and 30 replenish.

FHR isn't an issue as long as ES is up, but I really like having the 86% FHR breakpoint for situations when ES breaks (getting this from Spirit, Arkaine's and Verdungo). It happens rarely and I had no dangerous situations in the cow level yet, in large parts thanks to almost 10k defense with Defiance Merc and Arkaine's high defense. Also using Cure on Merc and I'm trying not to behave like an idiot with Amp/damage auras etc. ;) But over hundreds of runs, there will be a couple of nasty mana burn situations for sure, so I'd rather be prepared with good FHR to teleport out and a decent life pool at least big enough to allow for a reasonable reaction window.

I'm aiming to bring life up to around 1.8k with higher clvl (mid 90s) and some min-maxing (charms, stats). She's only clvl 87 so far. Mana is at 2.6k which is very comfortable, so I'll spend unused and further remaining stat points in vitality. Remaining skill points will probably go to Warmth, Frozen or Chilling Armor.

I couldn't get into an enjoyable groove with Cows. I did about one hour and couldn't keep going with it. Needless to say, no qualifiers :ROFLMAO: If I had lucked into even just one qualifier early on, I probably would have toughed it out a bit longer.

@PhineasB please consider this post my results submission for Round 2. No qualifiers, zero points 😶‍🌫️

Same here, I started a garden with my sons and I really haven’t touched my computer much lately. 1 hour no qualifiers :/

Nobody reports his progress in this round and many participants withdraw. :(
I completed 17 hours and gathered more qualifiers. I have to leave high runes out of the scoring list, seems crazy.

Edit: Just entered to farm a bit more and found another Qualifier! Two minutes after another one dropped!!
After 10 minutes one more!! What the heck is going on? 😅

Last edited:
Hi All! Please send your results as soon as you finish your set or finish running tomorrow, and I'll try to turn around results by Monday evening.

As mentioned, I was out of town the first weekend, and then family visiting the second, and I ended up going easy due to discomfort in my hand. I got my D2R Sorc to Mat, and then some leveling, but only 2 hours or so at Cows (p3 only). I ended up doing some more running at LK (very easy on the left hand with the new show items toggle) and Meph / Terrorized Andy at p1. So I likely won't have results, although I'll try to get another hour tomorrow, so maybe a Zod will drop :)

Set finished and results sent.

Similar story to round 1: Decent quantity, poor quality. :/

I split the set into 10h Mosaic and 10h Nova Sorc. With the latter, I cycled through all kinds of setups. Most of which I already experimented with in LoD but, some new ones as well.

I think I'll post a separate thread about the build, in particular for cow running, as there's a lot of mechanics and details to consider, and having checked a bunch of online resources/guides I find them quite lacking to be frank.

While I'm not particularly happy with my rune finds, I found many good non-qualifiers, including a nice Sparking GC with life:

Screenshot759.png

Other finds:
  • GCs: Plain skillers Entrapping, Sparking, Chilling, Harpoonist; Shogukusha; 128 AR, 23 life, 38% gheeds; 15@ 4 dex; 10/74 sharp 27 GF;
  • SCs: 6 mf, 30 AR; 17 life, 11 CR; 12 life/17 mana; 1/13 fine FHR;
  • Jewels: IAS/12 max; -15 req 9 max; 37 ED 10 min; 39 ED; 15 IAS 59 AR;
  • Bases: +3 LS Suwayyah; 15ed 5os Diamond Bow; +3 4os GMB; 42@ Sacred Targe;
  • Flawless Amethysts: 156
  • Ral: 79

Finished my set and results sent. Found two more minor qualifiers in the last 2 hours. Total 20 qualifiers.
I surely have a high score but not a winning one. In any case, I wish all my rounds were like this one since both the quantity and the quality of the runes is amazing.

Screenshot001.pngScreenshot005.pngScreenshot008.pngScreenshot009.pngScreenshot010.png

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High