[2018] Spirit Tournament [by Wolron]

Ghost has killed Baal and slaughtered the Cows. He also has learned how to make runeword items. He has just created a Lore Helm and a Stealth Armor. Both are Ethereal of course and will not last forever. However, Ghost has not been taking much damage and his equipment seems to last pretty well. The Raven Claw bow that he personalized at Anya is somewhat effective, but now in NM he will start developing the Elemental skills hoping to use Armageddon. I have never used this skill before, so this should be interesting.

In nightmare, the big question is what Players setting should be used. Except for a couple Act Bosses, he has used P8 so far. In the interest of longevity, he is considering going down to P1 or P3. Probably a short experiment at P8 just to convince him that safety is called for.

I supppose second death is what this nightmare will be about!

Scoring: Life + 5 x Waypoints - 2xStrength - 5 x Level

Code:
Player:            Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +377       48    NM: Rogue Camp
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +160       15    Black Marsh
Mir                Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA

jiansonz said:
Does Wirt's Leg count as a quest item? (meaning: can we lift it for the sake of stashing it so we can get to the Farm?)
Wirt's leg is a quest item and can be lifted and stored away until cow time. I have started a second character (Necromancer) and he found a 3 socketed wirt's leg. It would be nice to put a few gems in it and use it, but that is not allowed.

Welcome back!

Misty the Martial Artist has made some progress.

As I wrote before, Tiger Strike + Dragon Talon is pretty useful even at slvl 1, and without weapons or boots:

Misty01, damage numbers.jpg

She has pumped Fists of Fire to level 10. It's a major killer at the moment. The lousy attack speed bare-fisted is more than made up by the area-of-effect mayhem. She's found a few ethereal Spiked Clubs and the like, and while they are pretty decent for bonking monsters (especially undead and especially with 3x Tiger + Attack), she prefers the bare hands so she can use FoF. The weapon switch is used for ranged options: ethereal javelins or Choking Gas Potions (from a shrine). However, lately the switch has been used for storing an ethereal Spear, a future merc weapon if nothing better comes along...

Had a Small Shield for a while, but it broke after using it in a few areas.

Misty has only found one usable claw and she's reserving it until she finds another. Then she'll be a FoF-ing juggernaut...
One good thing with claws is their high durability. Her Katar started with durability 26 (24 now).

Thinking about the imbue. Major candidate is a Sash. There is no difference in the affix pool between imbuing at my current clvl 17 compared to a few more. Can still get 30% single resists, 'Tiger' +life and any of the self-repairing suffixes.
Another candidate is a Javelin, but then I'd really like to get to clvl 21 in the act (for opening up Fiery/Static) and that happens only rarely.

Speaking of life, it's a good thing you can pump Vita a lot early on, since my character is (usually) shieldless, lacks crowd control, needs to tank and has bad resists. Reached 300 (!) life before taking on the Countess.

My major beef is still the limited inventory space. I understand the thinking, but it really detracts from the enjoyment:

Misty02, selling trip.jpg

Had 14 slots at this stage, and made several trips in this area alone. Why bother with potions selling? Well, gambling awesome rings and amulets is one of the few semi-reliable ways to get some good gear in this tourney, so all the money is welcome. We're cut off from 19/20 of usual major moneymakers like armors and wands/staves/scepters.

Code:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +377       48    NM: Rogue Camp
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +160       15    Black Marsh
Mir                Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein
jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA                        17    Outer Cloister

jiansonz said:
Misty the Martial Artist has made some progress.

Thinking about the imbue. Major candidate is a Sash. There is no difference in the affix pool between imbuing at my current clvl 17 compared to a few more. Can still get 30% single resists, 'Tiger' +life and any of the self-repairing suffixes.
Another candidate is a Javelin, but then I'd really like to get to clvl 21 in the act (for opening up Fiery/Static) and that happens only rarely.

Speaking of life, it's a good thing you can pump Vita a lot early on, since my character is (usually) shieldless, lacks crowd control, needs to tank and has bad resists. Reached 300 (!) life before taking on the Countess.

My major beef is still the limited inventory space. I understand the thinking, but it really detracts from the enjoyment:

Had 14 slots at this stage, and made several trips in this area alone. Why bother with potions selling? Well, gambling awesome rings and amulets is one of the few semi-reliable ways to get some good gear in this tourney, so all the money is welcome. We're cut off from 19/20 of usual major moneymakers like armors and wands/staves/scepters.

Code:
Player: Name: Class: Tree: Score: Level: Area:
---------------- ------- -------- ------------ ------ ------ ---------
Wolron Ghost Druid Elemental (NM) +377 48 NM: Rogue Camp
Grisu Hildr Amazon None yet +160 15 Black Marsh
Mir Allanon Druid Summon +156 21 Lut Gholein
jiansonz Misty Assassin MA 17 Outer Cloister
The Embue in this tournament is much nicer when it includes a "durbility per seconds" mod. Otherwise, you lose it after a while. I have had one of these for Spook (Necromancer), but none so far for Ghost (Druid) here is the one I got for Spook:
Stone Circlet
Skull Cap
Defense: 19
Durability: 10 of 10
Required Strength: 5
Required Level: 12
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0x1af7547d
+6 to Energy
+2 to Life
+11% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +17%
+1 to Light Radius
Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Nothing that I would normally crow about, but in this tournament it is pure gold.

Hang in there and you will get some relief in storage space. The cube helps because it adds 12 spaces at the cost of 4. The additional 8 spaces is very welcome relief. I am at level 50 with Ghost and I can almost forget about the space problem. You still have to keep an eye on it to avoid breaking the rule, but it really cust down on the return to town frustration.

Wolron said:
The Embue in this tournament is much nicer when it includes a "durbility per seconds" mod. Otherwise, you lose it after a while.
Yes, but the Javelins I ended up imbuing came up as a 50+ pack (with some decent cold damage and life steal). It will make a nice Phoenix Strike weapon (speedy and with good range) that will last for quite a while. Every one of the javelins in the pack have a 'hidden' durability when used in melee.

jiansonz said:
Yeah, that seems reasonable...if you manage to kill Andariel without the imbued weapon :) I myself will wait for level 20 I guess and then imbue an eth Javelin, because it can get both "of Replenishing" (6/166) and "of Propogation" (5/166) as a suffix, which is about 6.62% of getting a self-repairing javelin :rolleyes: (as opposed to 3.87% if I use the imbue immediately at clvl 18). I don't need the elemental damage that much if I go for javelin/spear skills, but I am sorely in need of a self-repairing javelin - then I will probably go for charged Strike. If I don't get a self-repairing javelin, I will go for an act II merc and try to get a bow in Act V and make a Magezon (probably). It really gets annoying to punch all monsters with 5-18 damage from lightning charms xD

It's no fun to melee LE monsters when you have 8% resist. Good thing I have these:

Misty03, LE Wraith.jpg

I found an ethereal Belt. Very nice. I'm wearing it, even though it broke a long time ago.
Found some Heavy Boots as well. They allowed for some decent DTail damage:

Misty04, DTail.jpg

Those boots are now broken and discarded.

Reached level 21 even before getting to Andariel's floor. I think that's a first.
As I wrote before, I went for my Javelin pack to imbue. Decent result:

Misty05, imbue.jpg

Those are meant to be my base Phoenix Strike weapon later, unless something better comes along. I had planned to play this character more like an elemental dual claws character, but finding good claws are hard and the STR requirement for all but the most basic claws are a problem. Phoenix Strike makes for more flexibility.

Grisu said:
...if you manage to kill Andariel without the imbued weapon :)

I did get them before the fight, but I saved them. Gave her a WARM welcome instead:

Misty06, Andariel.jpg
Could bring a pretty nice merc weapon along for my new buddy, Pratham:

Misty07, merc Bardiche.jpg

Pratham's armor is a 2s Hard Leather with chipped topazes. Misty was wearing it for a while Act I, until it got down to 1 durability. Misty now has a basic armor and gloves, and we both have helms. Merc's helm is even magical, but it's just the 'Strong' affix.

Socketed ethereal stuff is really darn rare. If I have calculated correctly, any grey item on the ground that is capable of having sockets will have:

19/22 chance of being socketed, non-ethereal
2/22 (=1/11) chance of being ethereal, unsocketed
1/22 chance of being ethereal + socketed

Misty has only found three such items: the mentioned armor and Bardiche, and Hatchet Hands with 1 socket. The socketing recipes are highly useful in this tourney.

The Strong Helm is the only blue ethereal item she's seen. No ethereal rare yet.

With level 10 FoF and level 8 CoT, Duriel was in for some pain. It took many seconds to fully charge both, but then he was due for several hundreds' points of elemental damage:

Misty08, Duriel.jpg

I had a Small Shield in the fight, providing 8% blocking, IIRC. It still has 2 durability left.

Code:
jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +394       28    Kurast Docks

EDIT: This sums up the tournament pretty well:

Dura.jpg

Ghost has killed Andariel and moved on to Lut Gholein. Nothing exciting. The best ethereal find lately was a pair of magic chain boots with "half freeze duration" and +14% defense. That is not even as good as my second set of rare boots that I have been carrying around for quite some time now. Neither pair of rare boots are worth writing home about.

The RavenClaw longbow that Anya wrote Ghost's name on has been pretty useful. It is used to help point out which of the monsters I want my wolves to attack but it does only minimal damage. A couple charms help out there, but I really wish I had enough strength to upgrade it.

The two runeword items (Lore and Stealth) are holding up pretty well, so they should last through NM. The Ancient's Pledge shield is also holding up, but I only switch to it when I am particularly worried about resistances. Here is a rundown of my stats so far:
Strength 20+7 from equipment
Dexterity 60+11 from equipment
Vitality 200
Energy 55
Resistances: F7,C55,L35,P46 when using the Bow which has 59-98 damage
F54,C75,L75,P75 when using throwing axe which has 72-101 damage, but only has 17 axes left.
Ghost has 1,045,032 gold but is hesitant to blow it gambling for jewelry because she already has a prismatic amulet with +20 resist all, a Nagelring with+26 MF and a rare ring that is not all that great (+30 Cold resist and +2 to minimum damage). I keep checking rings closely and expect to find one to replace that rare one. She did find another Nagelring, but it only had +19MF. This one seems to fit the bill, but only because of the +8 strength and I do not have any need for more strength right now.

Chaos Knot
Ring
Required Level: 30
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0x9d32aafc
+8 to Strength
+56 to Mana
+1 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +6%
4% Life stolen per hit

Code:
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +394       28    Kurast Docks
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +448       51    NM: Lut Gholein

Spook has barely killed Andariel on P1. In fact, he moved to P1 shortly after entering level 3 of the Catacombs. Without that change, I doubt he would have gotten to Andariel at all. I have never played a totally "Summoner" necromancer. I have always depended upon bone spear to have some offense. Maybe I will find an ethereal head with bone spear (fat chance!).

I think that I better look into that fishy Necromancer build that I heard about years ago. If any of you have any advice, it would be appreciated.

Code:
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +394       28    Kurast Docks
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +448       51    NM: Lut Gholein
Wolron             Spook       Necro     Summoner       +186       20    Lut Gholein

Wolron said:
I think that I better look into that fishy Necromancer build that I heard about years ago. If any of you have any advice, it would be appreciated.
Curses are important for a Fishymancer, so that won't help much in Normal.

Sirian (my main inspiration 'back in the day') played a summons-only Necro, though.
Probably several useful bits of advice there. Great read also.

Looks you have to balance the players setting so you can reach Duriel with an Iron Golem. You'll probably have very little ethereal stuff with you to replace it, so you'll likely have to heal it with many town trips.

EDIT: There is one difference, of course. Your Necro is allowed to fight, and to have a merc. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a socketed weapon you can make 'Steel' in. The bleeding should make Duriel much easier.

After reaching Lut Gholein, first things first, Allanon went into the desert to find the Horadric Cube so he could empty his stash & inventory a bit for future finds. The advance was slow at the beginning but after another gem or two dropped he snapped and just made a run for it. Luckily he managed to retrieve the cube without dying.

After freeing some space for future loot he went back to the desert, this time making sure to clear every inch before moving to the next area. Nothing noticeable happened and nothing of value dropped during the journey even though he is sporting ~ 50% MF… well, something did dropped, but it was irrelevant (I should've listen to @Worlon):

Wolron said:
Those knives look like good ones, but are you sure that you will not find something better? Remember, you cannot change your Anya quest pesonalization item once it has been declared.

Screenshot002.jpg

Allanon never thought that ravens would prove to be so useful; their blinding ability helped him control the battlefield more than once and every bit of damage help, especially since the wolves begin to lose some steam.

Screenshot004.jpg

Allanon the summoner, level 25, (Palace next)

Str 27
Life 284
Wp 13

Good progress for Misty, and she's finally finding some better equipment.

Pratham, her mercenary, got a major weapon improvement partway though Act III, when he could trade his Gemmed Bardiche for a 'Malice' Spetum. Guaranteed OW on every hit means that he will often have a couple of monsters bleeding at the same time.

Misty can just tag along behind Pratham. The only tactical skills she uses are Dragon Flight (to get Pratham to where she wants him when he's doing...less clever moves...) and the occasional Town Portal. She can also freeze a pack with Phoenix Stike if needed, but that hasn't been needed yet.

Her best find:

Misty09, great amulet.jpg

She forfeited the possible Black Book strength points in favor of more inventory space.
(I have a plan to solve most of the STR problem later)
She's started to wear a couple of (pretty good) fire/lighting resist charms. Those, her fire resist gloves (Crimson (7%) Heavy Gloves) and two lightning resist rings (Coral 23% and a rare 15%) got her these stats for the Diablo fight:

Misty10, Diablo stats.jpg

The shield is a Spiked Shield of Blocking - she had 28% chance to block with it.

I was careful vs Diablo. Even with my good resists and life, I still went with /p1. Act boss drops are likely to be far less useful in this tourney than usual. Phoenix Strike level 6 (backed with lvl 10 FoF) is reasonably strong but it still took a while to fry him.

Misty11, Diablo fight.jpg

Nice gift from Diablo, especially since I had no boots at all:

Misty12, Diablo gift.jpg

Weapon is mostly just a placeholder for a 6% MF jewel, but it's still a useful PS weapon in a pinch. I'm trying my best to improve MF in other ways as well. You've seen my amulet, and the current rings have 14% and 13%. Merc's armor is a Chain Mail with a flawless topaz. I've used socket recipe on one of my Helms. It now holds a perfect topaz, waiting for a second.

I have plans for my Act V rewards. Anya reward is pretty much decided already. Larzuk reward has a couple of candidates, but more may turn up if I wait longer in the act.

Anya's other reward (the item) can never spawn ethereal, right?

Code:
jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +517       36    Frigid Highlands
Wolron             Spook       Necro     Summoner       +186       20    Lut Gholein

Wow, that was...testing my skills and patience? :p

I think I never punched my way through Act I without any skills or weapon...but now it is done!

First thing in Black Marsh was another Gem Shrine, so I am now proud owner of a Topaz. The Hole was tough, but with my lightning damage charms and the use of natural bottle necks like stairs and small passages, I overcame every ... single ... monster in Act I at /p8. The Countess was kind enough to stand around and cast Fire Walls while my merc shot her, so no trouble fighting her. A Ral Rune was my reward.
Screenshot108.jpg

Making use of doorways was standard tactics, especially because once I got surrounded, the durability of my cap dropped rapidly from 7 to 2, and I didn't want it to break.
Screenshot110.jpg

I have to admit I was afraid of the Smith like I was only afraid the last time I had to face the Butcher in Diablo I...his quickness and extra strong are frightening, but thanks to almost 300 life and the use of quite some potions and shrines he went down. And the reward for my success will be quite generous :) But be patient, because I only collected the reward after defeating Andariel (and hoping for level 21 on the way).
Screenshot112.jpg

This Goatman really scared me and his pack hit really hard. I managed to apply the Diablo I Butcher tactis though and slammed a door in his face. I then managed to trap him between the banner and the bars where he kept running in place and I could still punch him through the bars :)
Screenshot113.jpg

Pitspawn Fouldog...the bane of all untwinked melee characters in normal...First, I tried to engage him (it?) in melee, but he hit hard.
Screenshot114.jpg

Then I tried the rabbit tactic, which worked better once he stood still and shot at me instead of pursuing me.
Screenshot115.jpg

There were some nasty boss packs down in the catacombs, lots of them cursed...but again: doorways ftw!!!
Screenshot116.jpg

I had one S/U drop so far (Berserker's Hatchet - of course not ethereal, since set items never spawn ethereal...:rolleyes:)

I reached level 20 early on the 2nd floor of the catacombs, so my hopes were high to reach level 21 before or then later after Andariel. Alas, that did not happen. I decided to take on Andy without my imbue and see how it goes. If it would have been to hard to beat her, I'd have used my imbue before in order to get a better weapon than the eth Scimitar I was using for the fight (went from 12 to 1 durability in the fight, had to switch to the eth javelins to finish off Andariel). But the fight went smoothly, took like 12 town trips or so to heal and I decided not to resurrect my merc again and again to save money.

Screenshot118.jpg

Andariel even dropped an ethereal item, but it's not usable by any merc unfortunately:
Code:
Club of Shock
Club
One Hand Damage: 1 - 9
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0x608d8dd7
Item Level: 12
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 1 - 7 Lightning Damage
Ethereal

Inventory management was quite the hassle, and I tried to enhance my stash place by dropping items in the rogue encampent and equipping them at the end of each session - thus I could save durability of the eth items but still bring them forward for later. Also, I filled up my inventory with "weightless" items (gems, amulets, rings) and put items with weight I wanted to save for later (charms, potions) in the stash.

So now, I have a plethora of eth items *cough* to make use of - foremost being *drumroll* my imbue!
Code:
Gale Wrack
Javelin
Throw Damage: 9 - 25
One Hand Damage: 1 - 11
Quantity: 60
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xa013963a
Item Level: 24
Version: Expansion 1.10+
5% Chance to cast level 3 Fire Bolt on attack
+4 to Maximum Damage
Replenishes quantity
Ethereal
It's only 1 per 20 seconds and only has 3 mods (with a mighty Fire Bolt attached to its attacks!!!), but hey! I won't complain!

Then there is the cap I presented to you earlier.
- Tangerine Buckler of Blocking
- Superior Spiked Club
- 1 os Small Shield
- Superior Chain Boots
- Voulge
- Superior Spear
- Club of Shock (see above)
- 2 os Spiked Club
- 2 Sets of Javelins (44 and 47 quantity)
- 1 os Leather Armor
- Quilted Armor
- Quilted Armor with 2 chipped Topazes
- Skull Cap

Making a total of 15 usable items.

First thing I'll do now is skip all monsters in Radament's Lair to get the Atma reward - then mule off everything to make space for new shiny (ethereal) items! :D

[b]Hildr, the probably CS+X Amazon to be, Level 20, Normal Act II next[/b]

Spirit Tournament Leadership board

Remember the score formula is 5xWPs + Life -2xSTR -5xLevel. STR and Life are with all equipment and Charms applied.

Code:
jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +517       36    Frigid Highlands
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein

Wolron said:
You can buy that Anya item from anyone, but once you buy one, that is your item for Anya. Same thilng for gambling. If you want to gamble in Act 4 you can, but once you declare your Anya item, that's it.

Yes, drop all starting equipment immediately.
I didn't find this information in the original post but remember reading the bit about starting equipment somewhere. Not sure if there are other rules that has changed/been added. I'm about to try a character out and wanted to make sure I stay within the confines of the tournament.

Edit:
Also, can I store charms and potions in my stash?

zoo said:
I didn't find this information in the original post but remember reading the bit about starting equipment somewhere. Not sure if there are other rules that has changed/been added. I'm about to try a character out and wanted to make sure I stay within the confines of the tournament.

Edit:
Also, can I store charms and potions in my stash?
Yes, you can store anything in your stash, but you can only "drag" one Anya personalization quest item to the stash. That means only one item that is non-ethereal can be in the stash. Of course there are exceptions: jewelry, gems, runes, potions, charms, scrolls, arrows, bolts, horodric cube, quest items, keys, ...

Note that the original tournament description (first entry in this thread) did try to explain the Anya Quest item. The idea is that at some point in each difficulty game, you must designate the item that you want Anya to personalize. That can be an item found in Act 1 if you like, but the better items will be found in Act 5. You must designate that item prior to finishing the normal difficulty, but it could be even as late as the "Cows". Most people will probably have their personalization done as the last thing prior to moving on to the next difficulty level.

Wolron said:
Yes, you can store anything in your stash, but you can only "drag" one Anya personalization quest item to the stash. That means only one item that is non-ethereal can be in the stash. Of course there are exceptions: jewelry, gems, runes, potions, charms, scrolls, arrows, bolts, horodric cube, quest items, keys, ...
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I got it right.

The bit about dropping all starting equipment is not explained in the original post, though.

Ghost has died at the hands of a pack of Gorebellies in a tomb of Tal Rasha.

Code:
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA             +517       36    Fridgid Highlands
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +209       20    Lut Gholein

The Second Dead:   Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Elemental (NM) +514       57    NM: Tal Rasha Tomb

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High