[2018] Spirit Tournament [by Wolron]

jiansonz said:
Thanks for the clarifications.

I've started a little. Playing a Martial Arts Assassin named Misty.
Won't have time now for a proper update, and now I'm going away for 8 days - will be back next monday.

I really like
- the restrictions for what to wear (the ethereal aspect).
- that a broken belt still holds extra potions. Just make sure not to take it off.
- the '1 skill tree per difficulty' thing. Both challenging and interesting.
- the early power of Fists of Fire (and Tiger Strike + Dragon Talon, even with wimpy/no weapon and no boots).

I really don't like
- that FoF is really darn slow when you're weaponless
- the endless town trips I'm doing because of the inventory slots restriction. IMO, this achieves nothing except making the game less fun.
You will be missed, I hope you enjoy the time away.

I agree with your likes. I have always wanted to play with the ethereal restriction because of the challenge and the Luck aspects of it.
Fortunately the FoF is temporary and my Druid has not had to go back to camp much at all since clearing the den. I find that I only have to go back to empty rejuv potions into my stash. I suppose I could avoid that by simply using them, but I am in the habit of trying to make a lot of Full Rejuvs for the tough battles.

Remember the score formula is 5xWPs + Life -2xSTR -5xLevel. STR and Life are with all equipment and Charms applied.
Code:
Player:            Name:       Class:    Tree:         Score:  Level:   Area:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +148       21    Lut Gholein
Mir                Allanon     Druid                     -35        1    Rogue Camp
Jiansonz                       Assassin  MA

OK, I need some technical support. I tried to update the score table. I thought that I could reply to it and then edit it. That had the result that you see in the last post. What process should I use for updating the table???

Oh, I just tried to click on the "click to expand" option and that seemed to clean things up. Is that all that Needs to be done?

Ghost is at the Outer Cloister. Next stop is Charsi for the embue. Ghost is using the Summoner Tree and his wolves are Having lunch continuously. Here are the ethereal things he is wearing and wielding:
Jeweled Hard Leather armor with a jewel socketed that gives 15 Poison Resist and 1 to minimum damag.
Leather gloves
Magic light belt with 10% Faster Hit Recovery
Superior Skull Cap enhanced defense
Superior hand axe with +1 to max damage
He also has an amulet with 8% Magic Find and +2 Dexterity
He has a magic ring with +10 Fire Resist and a Rare ring with +10 poison resist and a few other worthless mods.

He is using 11 of the 13 storage squares that he is alotted. Since he has found that belt, he does not need to put scrolls or potions in his backpack.

He has also collected an ethereal bardiche for his Act 2 mercenary and is carrying an ethereal quilted armor because he expects his Hard Leather armor to wear out towards the end of the act.

He has completely maxed out his storage space and is eagerly awaiting the opportunity to use ATMA after killing Radament. But

Ghost has killed Andariel and moved on to Lut Gholein. He has also killed Radament and now has access to ATMA. Of course, the crowded stash forced him into selling about 40 chipped gems and even more rejuvination potions.

Andariel dropped a Nagelring with 26% magic find. I hope Ghost finds some ethereal set or unique items. Andariel also dropped a diamond and then Ghost found a gem shrine, so he has a flawless diamond to put into an ethereal shield if he can find one.

Introducing Hildr, the still weaponless Amazon.

Action shots against Corpsefire, Sharp Drool the Slasher, Bishibosh and Treehead:
Screenshot090.jpg
Screenshot093.jpg
Screenshot094.jpg
Screenshot103.jpg

Doing my impression of the Pied Piper of Hamelin:

Screenshot092.jpg

FIghting Blood Raven took some gas potions, because with my meager fist damage and her running away constantly, I would have churned to my healing potions too fast. Note that I hired a rogue merc before I fought Blood Raven which you can do once you hit level 8.

Screenshot095.jpg

My damage upon entering the Cave was 4-17 without weapon (+1 max damage amulet/rings, + lightning/fire damage charms), which is still sufficient for most opponents. Monsters in the cave were quite scary though...never encountered a Fana boss so early, IIRC.

Screenshot098.jpg
Screenshot099.jpg

The cave rewarded me with this beauty though:

Screenshot101.jpg

This LE Archer was scary and almost killed me, but I managed to find a spot, where none of his bolts could hit me or my rogue merc and eventually my rogue killed him.

Screenshot105.jpg

I really like this tournament, but have to echo jiansonz's statement about town trips :rolleyes:

I already had to sell all my rejuvs and (almost all) gems except for the topazes, diamonds and amethysts. I decided that would be best, because there is no much use for gems for cubing recipes, but I can use the 3 amulets = 1 ring and 3 rings = 1 amulet recipe later on. So I stuck with my amulets and rings so far.

My rogue has currently a 2 os ethereal armor equipped with 2 flawed topazes, although she really doesn't kill much by herself...

Hildr, level 15 martial arts Amazon, Normal Black Marsh next

Leadership board:

Remember the score formula is 5xWPs + Life -2xSTR -5xLevel. STR and Life are with all equipment and Charms applied.

Code:
----------------   -------     --------  ------------  ------  ------   ---------
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +148       21    Lut Gholein
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    none yet       +160       15    Black Marsh
Mir                Allanon     Druid                     -35        1    Rogue Camp
Jiansonz           Misty       Assassin  MA

I don't think I have ever found Stone Mask. Getting it as an ethereal is a great find. Congratulations. And, it won't ever wear out. My best item is either the Nagelring Andariel dropped or my Charsi embue:
Bitter Visage
Skull Cap
Defense: 24
Durability: 10 of 10
Required Strength: 5
Required Level: 12
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 22
Fingerprint: 0x59119451
+8 to Energy
+35% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +8%
Poison Resist +7%
+5 to Light Radius
5% Bonus to Attack Rating
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

I suppose I will find something else when this wears out, but Ghost is such a shy character that he does not get into physical damage situations. Hopefully his gear will not fall apart too quickly.

Ghost has cubed the Horodric staff and has descended through the palace to reach the Arcane Sanctuary. Nothing major has happened, but he is finding a good number of Ethereals. Most of them are either beyond his ability to use due to strength requirements or of no particular worth. He does have three belts (just in case) and a mace with two ruby chips (but he doesn't use it). One good item is an Ethereal Voulge used by the mercenary. Of course, the merc also has a magic chain mail and a helm (he is quite a bit stronger than Ghost).

remember the score formula is 5xWPs + Life -2xSTR -5xLevel. STR and Life are with all equipment and Charms applied.

Code:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +204       26    Arcane Sanctuary
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +160       15    Black Marsh

Entering with Allanon, a summoner in the making, my last attempt at HC (enchantress) ended with a swift unholy bolt in some tomb during act 2 NM, let see how far I can pull this char...

Being forced to sell ALL of his equipment, before going out, wasn't a promising sign; at least it's known that using martial arts greatly enhance ones fighting experience. The first enemy he encountered was a lone zombie that gave him more than enough time (way too long for my taste) to practice his melee abilities. The lesson was learnt; leave all this hand weaving, kicking, and dancing to the assassins and go for less experienced but more effective 'way of punch'.

Luckily, druid summoners can use their skills quite early and it wasn’t long before he got his first skill point which went into Poison Ivy for some weak sort of AoE attack. His next point went into Raven, it's quite a shame that this bird can fight better than the druid, but who could guess that observing nature is the best way to learn the Crane technique... The combination of Raven and Ivy proved to be enough to clear the moor and bring him almost to level 6 before entering the den.

On a side note, one of the deserted houses in the moor had an all rare chest that some poor souls left in a hurry when they had to leave. It was quite a temptation not to take those items but the Angel side of his conscience managed to talk him out of it ("you can't take those items! youa must follow the rules!"). But even the angel could not stop the young raven from taking 1 simple golden ring:

Code:
Stone Eye
Ring
Item Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xaaa5f4bd
+1 to Strength
+2 to Mana
+10 to Attack Rating
+1 to Maximum Damage
Poison Resist +5%
+1 to Light Radius

The den was cleared without any special problems. Corpsefire dropped a rare pack of throwing knives which, after being identified, were brought back to the stash for Anya quest (if he ever gets there):

Screenshot002.jpg

Identified the knives

Screenshot003.jpg

Screenshot004.jpg

Preparing the inventory

Code:
Imp Scratch
Throwing Knife
Throw Damage: 4 to 10
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 4
Quantity: 50
Required Dexterity: 21
Dagger Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Level: 4
Fingerprint: 0x2a85dbd0
+17 to Attack Rating
+1 to Maximum Damage
Adds 1-2 fire damage
+1 poison damage over 2 seconds
40% Damage to Undead
+64 to Attack Rating against Undead
5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking

Cold plains and the Cave were steamrolled with an ever growing prowess of Allanon army which, by the time to take on blood raven, consisted of 5 wolves and 4 ravens. Blood Raven proved no challenge at all and the way to the crypt and the mausoleum is clear…

Summary

• So far it's a great fun although the inventory limitations proved to be PITA, as much as I tried to follow the rules I can't be sure that at some points I didn’t carry more then I'm allowed (by 1-2 potions), by the end of the session I managed to organize the inventory to minimize any future mistakes:
Screenshot006.jpg

• Gold is quite hard to come by not being allowed to sell items (except eth). Due to this rule I had to sell a jewel of envy to gain SOME money for TP and ID scrolls. I really hope this will sort itself in near future.

• Equipment so far:
Code:
Lizard's Sash of Self-Repair
Defense: 3
Durability: 7 of 7
Required Level: 2
Item Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0x8deb0f20
+4 to Mana
Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Amulet – 1 to energy
Ring – 1 to STR

Welcome to the Fray Mir. Don't worry, gold will become easier to come by. Ghost is almost ready to go after Duriel and he has about 300,000 gold.

Ghost is at the Canyon of the Magi and is at level 26. He has been doing full clears and will continue as he clears all the false tombs before going after Duriel in the "circle" tomb. This is the best item that he has found since the Charsi embue:

Brimstone Stalker
Heavy Boots
Defense: 9
Durability: 8 of 8
Required Strength: 8
Required Level: 7
Item Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0x8c3b47dd
+1 to Dexterity
+16 to Maximum Stamina
Poison Resist +7%
Half Freeze Duration
10% Chance to cast Level 3 Charged Bolt when struck

Ghost has cleared out all the false tombs of Tal Rasha and discovered the hole leading to Duriel. He used P1 on Duriel and it was so easy, that P8 probably would have been very possible. Of course the drop from Duriel was useless. Just an Eisenhart's Case and a bunch of useless substantial rare items. So, he is off to the Kurast Docks.

Code:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +217       29    Kurast Docks
Grisu              Hildr       Amazon    None yet       +160       15    Black Marsh

mir said:
The den was cleared without any special problems. Corpsefire dropped a rare pack of throwing knives which, after being identified, were brought back to the stash for Anya quest (if he ever gets there):
Those knives look like good ones, but are you sure that you will not find something better? Remember, you cannot change your Anya quest pesonalization item once it has been declared.

Allanon continued his journey after clearing the burial grounds (no noticeable finds). The Stony Field did contain a special stone right near the entrance:

Screenshot007.jpg

After few moments he reached decision and got a flawed topaz. Actually this stage of his journey (up to Outer Cloister wp) was full of good finds like:

Gemmed Wolf Head
Defense: 16
Durability: 10 of 11
(Druid Only)
Required Strength: 6
Required Level: 3
Item Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x9f3d2334
9% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+1 to Lycanthropy (Druid Only)
+1 to Raven (Druid Only)
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used) <-- another topaz

Gemmed Superior Hard Leather Armor
Defense: 38
Durability: 13 of 15
Required Strength: 10
Required Level: 5
Item Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xf366c628
+5% Enhanced Defense
13% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

Scimitar
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 9
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Dexterity: 11
Sword Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xff470693
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used) <-- what should I put here???

GC of balance
3 LC of elemental damage (very low, but anything helps)

Ral from the countess

So far he encountered nothing dangerous but this feeling can kill, he will try to slow down a bit and get used to cast a wolf ahead to scout the area.

After reaching level 13 he stopped spending skill points so he could invest in more than 1 skill once he reach level 18+. It’s quite hard to decide which spirit he should use… He is not going to have lots of +skills so the pets will need every help they can get, on the other hand, it's HC and oak seem like a better choise… Any advice?

Although it's a single pass game his progress is quite surprising, he reached level 17 by Outer Cloister wp… maybe he would be one of those chars to reach level 20-21 in act1.

Allanon the summoner, level 17, Outer Cloister wp

Scimitar
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 9
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Dexterity: 11
Sword Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xff470693
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 0 used) <-- what should I put here???

I would wait for a good jewel. I often find a really great jewel and then have no place to put it.

After reaching level 13 he stopped spending skill points so he could invest in more than 1 skill once he reach level 18+. It’s quite hard to decide which spirit he should use… He is not going to have lots of +skills so the pets will need every help they can get, on the other hand, it's HC and oak seem like a better choise… Any advice?

I prefer "Heart of Wolverine", but I don't claim to have any really strong faith in that.

Allanon the summoner, level 17, Outer Cloister wp

After purging the monastery from all the demons and giving Charsi her hammer back, it was time to face Andariel. The prospect of fighting her on P8 was not appealing but I forgot to switch to P1… in the end it didn’t mattered.
The plan was simple: clear the entrance hall, then the shaman on the right and any lurking monsters on the left, then advance carefully ahead until she will notice the wolves so he could lure her back to the pool for a 1 vs 10 fight.

Things went a bit out of control when the wolves' teleported right to the center forcing a fast retreat to the main hall and back to town to restore the army. Once Allanon was ready, and full with antidote potions, he went back trough the TP quickly casting the wolves on the opposite side of Andariel to keep her attacks from his position. He was sure that the wolves will die in 1 hit but surprisingly they took little damage. The 4 points he spent in dire wolves were well spent apparently (~270 life :)). After a short fight he emerged victorious!

Screenshot005.jpg

Screenshot004 (1).jpg

The drop, on the other hand, was quite disappointed:

Screenshot006 (1).jpg

On his journey through the monastery, he saw quite a lot of rare items drop, sadly none was useful or eth. Maybe the little MF he had worked maybe it's was luck…. Well, no complaints from him.

Summery

· Stash management become harder with every step he does; must get the cube ASAP!

Screenshot002 (1).jpg

· Wasn’t sure what should I imbue before act2, the boots or the shield.... not the best result but I can live with it:

Screenshot008.jpg

· Not sure what to do with the merc, probably won't change until either a good weapon will drop or act 3.

· Runes so far: Ral, Tir, Eld.

Ghost has killed Mephisto (P8) and moved on to the Pandamonium Fortress. He used ROT runes to make an Ancient's Pledge shield. That almost maxed out the resistances, but of course, the shield won't last forever. I expect that it will dissolve sometime around the Baal battle. He has been using a two socketed mace with two ruby chips in it for some time now and has another two socketed mace ready to put something better in. However, I do not think that I will bother. The minions kill everything and Ghost just tries to stay away from trouble. That attitude will allow the Ancient's Pledge to last a while longer and not trying to use the mace will keep Ghost out of trouble too.

Ghost is at level 32, he has 24 strength (thanks to Alcor and a couple charms), he has 353 life (most attribute points go into vitality), and has found 28 waypoints. Score = 285.

Code:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +285       32    Pandamonium Fortress
Mir                Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

There was one big improvement in Act 4. Ghost found a two socketed Polearm and handed it to the Act 2 merc. The sockets have been filled with an Ort Rune and a Perfect Topaz for an extra 2-90 lightning damage. However, that did not stop Diablo from killing the merc three times. Luckily, the Grizzley Bear persisted and won the day.

Ghost has killed Diablo (P1) and it is time for Act 5 and the Anya personalization opportunity. I have been pumping up Dexterity in hopes of finding a really nice Bow. At the least, I should be able to find a plain old edge bow with 3 sockets. That would give Ghost some offensive strength without requiring him to get too close to the opposition. Of course, ghost will be checking all rares and sets or uniques to see if a miricle occurs.

Code:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +294       35    Harrogath
Mir                Allanon     Druid     Summon         +156       21    Lut Gholein

Wolron said:
Ghost has killed Diablo (P1) and it is time for Act 5 and the Anya personalization opportunity. I have been pumping up Dexterity in hopes of finding a really nice Bow. At the least, I should be able to find a plain old edge bow with 3 sockets. That would give Ghost some offensive strength without requiring him to get too close to the opposition. Of course, ghost will be checking all rares and sets or uniques to see if a miricle occurs.

Code:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +294       35    Harrogath
Very good plan, why I didn't thought about it??

Well, Ghost has his bow. However it is only Raven Claw (unique long bow). That does have explosive arrows, but the only really useful aspect of the Raven Claw is that it gives +3 to strength. Oh, well, at least Ghost does have some offense. Interestingly enough, his balanced ethereal knives have about the same damage. Of course, they will dissappear and never come back.

Code:
Wolron             Ghost       Druid     Summon         +329       45    Frozen Tundra

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High