[2012] Whacky Wand Tournament [by Merlin The Wizzard]

Re: Tournament: Whacky Wand Tournament

Mournblade said:
I'm in with a barb, not certain on the build just yet. Not really sure the barb combat skills are going to add all that more damage, might end up with berserk if he gets that far.

That's why I'm going Frenzy. I would rather have the added speed applying the wands' cb and elemental dmg quickly rather than trying to boost physical dmg. Not even sure I'll synergize the more I think about it.

@coju yes

Last edited:

yes orbs are ok for sorcs

what happened to that table? fixed that for you. mournblade, pls make sure you use the last table in the thread when updating. ;-)

The merrily whacking ones
Code:
Forum Name     Character      Class       Act            Level       Points     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grisu          Sophia         Sorceress   1               1              0
zaphodbrx      wendigo        Druid       1               14            -3
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   2               20             2
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 4               30           --
jiansonz       Embrus         Druid       2               23
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    1               1
Krupa          Nikola         Paladin     3               24            14
RuddyC         Panoramix      Druid       1               15            -5
Brakstav       Susan          Assassin    1
Drewgie        LittleSticks   Barbarian   1
Mournblade     Leopold        Barbarian   1               7             -3

The dewanded ones(ie, Dead!)
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drewgie        LittleStick    Sorceress   1               11

Last edited:

Just updated my entry

Code:
zaphodbrx      wendigo        Druid       2               18            4
Krupa          Nikola         Paladin     3               24            14

Code:

Last edited:

Not sure if being called God of the spf is worth trying to do this with a Necro out Amazon... In that case, i'm stuck between a druid and barbarian for my hero of choice. Are all the druids fire claws?

Seems like my last update was killed. Very well, here's a new one including a bit more:

Deckard has been saved. Play has been rather quick and simple. No interesting finds. Lots of elemental charms, which helps now, but no good one. Best find: 10 to life charm.

Not one ruby yet. No magic finds boots/gloves above 6%. First amulet of the game dropped in dark forest! Very strange.

No problems here: Countess dropped a Ral. Strangely still no gambled magic find above 6% until just before I ended the session at Outer Cloister, when Susan gambled two decent rares with MF 20%. She has filled all topaz-slots.

Susan and Fiona managed to kill the Smith and return the malus to Charsi. In the baracks a nice charm was found.

In Jail level 1 the first set item was found. Otherwise, nothing more of interest. Unfortunately the first topaz for Fiona dropped, so from now on I have to be more careful. Also I manged to get Fiona killed when she got stuck in a bunch of goat men/skeleton archers with a champion ghost pack near. A bit of a shame really, but I am sure the poor girl will die more.

Susan and Fiona: Level 19 Inner Cloister next.

Well, the forum seems to mess up the tables, so just a small update:

Had to burn almost all rejuvenation potions in the Tombs. These Unravellers seem to do some bugged damage, even more so Uniques with the Multishot mod. Killed the big slug at /p1. His drop sucks. Got a failed unique breast plate and failed unique claws, 3 other useless rares and a scroll of TP. Yay.

Got an Iron Wolf now. 7-17 damage *shudder*. My damage is now at ~150 average, enhanced by a Static Circlet and a shopped Fiery Bone Wand. Burnt through a stash of chippies to get a Static/Fiery wand with sockets, but no luck.

Ruby the Enchantress and Khaleel the Iron Wolf: Level 26, Spider Forest next

Last edited:

I started with DarkWANDerer the Barbarian. He has reached level 7 and the Cold Plains WP. Slow starting but once he got a wand and a ruby things sped up pretty well.

His goal in life is to become a WW barb! Should be interesting for sure! He will be utilizing the WC skills heavily for crowd control and such. I realized that I can't use Warcry if I use Battle command, so I will be avoiding that skill altogether as all other skills can be boosted just fine and +1 to all skills is fairly helpful to a barb.

The table display issue should be fixed sometime soon they said, so i'll stick him in at that point.

Sorry, the table looked ok when I was done with it. Is it something I did or a bigger problem? I can't see any tables, even when looking at other tournament pages. Even yesterday when I posted, it looked weird, the table was grey letters on a white background. Not the easiest to see. I can see the table if I click "reply with quote".

Looking back though, I pulled the table from kokojo's last post of the table, and RuddyC was posting the table at the same time as me, and finished a couple minutes before. Sorry.

EDIT: I can see the tables now !!

short update:
decided to run quickly through act 3 after work. had a couple of S/Us drop:

bloodfist
skewer of krinitz
civerbs ward
eth griswolds edge
cathans sigil
hsarus iron heel
and a helmet that i didn´t pick up

the drop that was outstanding for this tourney
Sander's Superstition
Bone Wand
One Hand Damage: 8 - 21
Durability: 15 of 15
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xb410f3d8
Item Level: 22
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+20% Faster Cast Rate
75% Enhanced Damage
Adds 25 - 75 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
8% Mana stolen per hit
+25 to Mana

its purple and i falso found a matching shield
Stone Rock
Bone Shield
Defense: 34
Chance to Block: 40
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 25
Fingerprint: 0x3a87cd91
Item Level: 22
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+30% Faster Block Rate
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
+11% Enhanced Defense
Cold Resist +14%
All Resistances +6
Damage Reduced by 1
Poison Length Reduced by 25%

main weapon is a bone wand of self-repair and i cubed a bone wand of piercing with 2 sockets.
was hoping for a static of self-repair, but will hit the vendors heavily once the "of ages"-suffix becomes available

Nikola Tesladin, lvl 27 in the pandemonium fortress

Code:
Krupa          Nikola         Paladin     4               27            31

Code:

Nice wand find, Krupa.

Question:
Found a jawbone cap with +3 mace mastery, +2 axe mastery, +1 howl.
Can I use this since it has the axe mastery?
No benefit is gained since we can only use wands, but wanted to ask before using.
Oh, and natural resists, iron skin, increased speed/stamina are all ok to use, right?
Thanks.

@Mournblade - That's no problem. It's ok to get a skill upgrade to a skill that you won't use. I just pointed out that you can't put hard skill points in any of the other weapon skills. The one about the barbarian weapon masteries was more in the line of a remark, in so far that of all the weapon masteries, the only one that really makes sense is Mace Mastery :)
And yes, the other skills in the passive tree are all allowed.

For anyone else: If you find equipment for your class with +skills to any of the forbidden skills, its no issue... They are forbidden for use anyways. Look out for +points for utility skills though! You might even want to consider not putting a hard point in a given utility skill, if you have found a nice item that has +1 to said skill already... As most of you, or all of you probably, already know, +skills from equipment does not work for synergies, so that's no problem.

Ruby has reached the Kurast Bazaar WP and is about to get access to Fire and Lightning Mastery.

She is wearing 32% Chance Guards that dropped from a basket in the Jungle.

/p8 full clears of Act III so far. No NDEs. The Cold Wolf is killing faster than expected, plus he allows shattering the Flayers so that the Shamans can be taken out safely after killing their minions. He is currently wearing a nice 20 FCR / 20 FRW / 16 MF circlet.

The only thing that sucks is her topaz luck (only 2 flawed ones so far, all cubed ...)

24 WPs, 14 quests, level 29 = 23 points

Code:
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   3               29            23

Code:

Ruby the Enchantress and Khaleel the Cold Iron Wolf, level 29, Kurast Sewers next

Mournblade said:
Looking back though, I pulled the table from kokojo's last post of the table, and RuddyC was posting the table at the same time as me, and finished a couple minutes before. Sorry.

well, this explains that, sorry for roughin' ya a bit...

Act 1 is down, full clears @p8, just finished off Radament level 21. Andy did not drop anything worth keeping :( - 3 S/Us so far including a Serpent's Lord (grailer). got rabies and kill speed has now greatly improved. Might start checking and rolling wands once I get the cube.

Code:
RuddyC         Panoramix      Druid       2               21            4

Code:

Finished up the cold plains area and got to level 12 (right after killing the first of cold crow's minions) Only was able to gamble some 10 mf gloves and no boots yet. I have found 6 topazes so far, so not too bad really. Kill speed is still very good, but that is mostly the rogue.

Code:
kestegs        DarkWANDerer   Barbarian   1               12             -6

Code:

Finished off Andariel. No good drops. We found another Cleglaw's shield and also an Infernal cap.

Went down to Radamant. No probelms here either except for a VERY nasty poisoning the first thing taht happened. I was quite glad that I had cleared the area before attacking him. Kill speed very acceptable. Bought a bone wand as well, which speeds things up.

Code:
Brakstav       Susan          Assassin    2               21            4
kestegs        DarkWANDerer   Barbarian   1               12             -6

Code:

LittleSticks and Ryann have fought their way to the Outer Cloister WP. I don't know how so many of you are making such quick progress. Single Pass full clears are slow as crap for me no matter what char I play, let alone someone relying on the merc and wand meleeing for dmg.

At any rate, I have completed 4 quests = 8pts, have 6 waypoints (including rogue encampment) = 6pts, and am lvl 18 = -18. 8 + 6 - 18 = -4pts. I am such a noob with the code box that I am not even going to attempt to update the table myself.

The countess dropped a Ral, which will be useful once I have a socketed bone wand in A2. Here's hoping for an Amn rune. I'm hoping to make a "strength" wand or two for the crushing blow. In the meantime I guess "steel" wouldn't be terrible for the OW and IAS.

7% lr sc dropped, which was cool for an A1 norm drop.

Death's guard sash is the only S/U so far. CBF is nice, but only 2 rows for potions and such low odds for getting the gloves for set bonuses means it will probably get phased out before LittleSticks clears normal.

Topaz luck improved. I've gathered 9 and only need one more until I can start working my way towards flawed/normals for breast plates.

Gambling luck is crap. Still at 15% and 16% on the gloves and boots respectively with no useful mods to speak of.

LittleSticks the lvl 18 Frenzy-barb-to-be, and Ryann, his fire Rogue merc. Outer Cloister, Act I Normal

Embrus has now entered Act III and has parted with dear Iantha. She did an excellent job.

Embrus enjoyed the nice combo of Arctic Furs + Binding for most of the act. With two pieces, the armor has some credible Defense for this part of the game. Combine that with a higher level than the monsters, 60% blocking and over 500 life, and it´s easy to understand why he was nearly untouchable in this act. He also had nearly maxed fire resistance (which was nice against Ghoul Lords) without even trying:
- 10% resist all on Arctic Furs
- 8% resist all from flawed diamond in shield (first and only shield gamble was a great rare Bone Shield with +20% block and a socket)
- Fara sold him Crimson (10) Heavy Gloves of Fortune (25)
- An awesome Garnet (24) Grand Charm has dropped
- Since I view my Fiery wand as temporary, I figure I may as well get some use out of its sockets in the meantime, so I put in the first two Avarice jewels I could find. The second was a rare jewel that just happened to have 24% fire resist as well.

I´ve found a ton of rares and quite a lot of set items, including two Death´s items (actually, three (!) Death´s Hand and one Death´s Guard), two Hsaru´s items, the Arctic stuff I wear and Sander´s Superstition. Only one unique, though - an ethereal Hawkmail from Duriel.

I am impressed by the 500+ life, especially since Lycanthropy is just level 7 and Oak Sage just level 1. Fire Claws is level 11, with level 2 Firestorm for synergy.

Embrus the Fire Claws Werebear and Flux the Cold mage, level 28, Spider Forest next.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High