[2012] Whacky Wand Tournament [by Merlin The Wizzard]

Re: Tournament: Whacky Wand Tournament

I really can't flipping believe this. LittleStick was served a shocking deeds at level 11 via Coldcrow's dying frost nova. I was tanking for the moron who scored a huge critical hit, slivering coldcrow, right as I got hit by a volley that took me down to ~2/3 health. Pounded two pots and tried to run away right before the merc shot again, but, alas, was not fast enough. Moral of the story: kill Coldcrows minions first.

Anyhow, I'm back in with LittleSticks, the Frenzy barb to be. Double Swing in the meantime. Probably grind my way to lvl 24 spending only in prereqs and then pump frenzy and BO side by side for a bit, then max Frenzy, Double Swing, BO, in that order. After that I guess either Taunt or Berserk. Can someone confirm if Mace Mastery affects wands? I thought they were staff class weapons, but I can't think of any other reason Merlin would allow MM :scratchhead:

Google says mace mastery works for blunt weapons (i.e., all weapons that have +50% damage to undead). Too bad about the sorc - they indeed are a the glass cannon class of this tournament.

Mine has defeated Andariel. Found my first 4 hardcore grailers: Dimoak's Hew, Blood Crescent (would be a nice weapon if allowed), Arctic Furs, and Cleglaw's Pincers.

10 WPs (does the Rogue Encampment count?), 6 quests, level 20 = 2 points

The merrily whacking ones
Code:
Forum Name     Character      Class       Act            Level       Points     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grisu          Sophia         Sorceress   1               1              0
zaphodbrx      wendigo        Druid       1               14            -3
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   2               20             2
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 3               27            --
jiansonz       Embrus         Druid       1               15
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    1               1
Krupa          Nikola         Paladin     1               15            -2
RuddyC         Panoramix      Druid

The dewanded ones(ie, Dead!)
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drewgie        LittleStick    Sorceress   1               11

Last edited:

Hey guys! Drewgie, A shame Little Stick died, but I'm sure littlesticks will do better... Barbarians are just more sturdy then sorceressess. :)
Frenzying with wands.... Heh. That's going to be fun. :)

@Felix Yeah, all waypoints count, including the one at the start.

@Krupa - Thanks for the test!

@Kokojo - Wow! Swift working there!

7+8+1 = 16 wps; (5+6)*2 = 22 quests; -24 level = 14

Code:
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 3               27            --
Krupa          Nikola         Paladin     3               24            14

Code:

Last edited:

Bella has begun her journey with powered up fists to the face. Cop that you foul smelly zombie! As imagined, progress was very slow in the beginning, which is quite ironic for Assassin’s given their natural early game progression being one of, if not, the quickest of all 7 characters. Nevertheless, Bella used what she could to get an advantage. Muahahaha :smug:.

Our first S/U dropped in the Pit Level 1 and shortly afterwards this dropped in level 2. Now all I need is the armour :scratchchin:! The drop that really got me excited however, was this little thing in the Jail Level 2. Probably one of the best uniques you could want early game, let alone Act 1. It was to my bitter disappoint, the roll was 1% off the worst possible :rant:. Aw well, I can’t complain. With the new addition, Bella now has 117% MF and 162% for Elexa’s kills. Not too shabby at all :yes:.

Level 18 granted Bella the ability to use Blade Fury. Despite my dismal damage, the quick attacks meant it was far superior and a much safer option than Tiger Strike. I am positive BF will be used excessively down the track and a means to taking down nasty bosses. If I could create a “Strength†wand, then BF might actually be an effective boss killer ;).

Andariel copped blades to her ugly deformed body, while poor old Elexa copped the brunt of the attacks. Sorry girl! The drop wasn't anything special, other than free money.

Bella the Phoenix Striking/BF Assassin, Level 20.8, Act 2 Lut Gholein Normal, aided by Elexa the Fire Rogue, points = 2

Last edited:

Enter Susan, phoenix striker.

Until level 30, she will be a Tiger striker though.

Susan sold her Katar and went out and started slapping things. And slap. And slap. It took time. I don't think I ever had so bad drops either. A magical cap, and nothing else beside identity scrolls, money, potions and arrows for almost the whole outdoor area. She managed to get enough money for a wand right before enetering the Den. Then things sped up.

No notable drops. The best a 3% LR charm. No gems except for a chipped sapphire.

I will wait with the table until the forum shapes up.

Edit: I continue in this post:

Second session: Things really got up to speed with the hiring of Fiona, fire rogue, and the shopping of a yew wand (2-8 damage!). Two small topazes were found. Blood Raven had no chance: level 6-7 Tiger Strike is quite potent even with just a wand.

Unfortunately I did not reach level 12 before Cold Crow, but it did not matter anyway since her drop was of no use.

Towards Deckard!

Completed act 1. Drops were absolutely nothing despite 90 MF char and +72 mf rogue ( and I am letting her kill the bosses ). Don't remember my luck sucking so badly ever, I normally manage to find a rixot's keen or snakecord or such even without mf in act 1. Still have a rare longbow with ctc amp and good ed on the rogue, so its not terrible. Level 18 now ( mostly p3 and some p1 ) , so got rabies.

LittleSticks has made up the ground that was lost when LittleStick died and is ready to move on to the Stony Field. Apparently two wands are better than one :badteeth:

Only one topaz so far, but I did get 10% mf on my first round of glove gambling which never happens. By the time I get 15% it's time to gamble for 25% usually :rant: Also, an early jewel of envy has helped Ryann the rogue merc earn her keep, which is always nice. Especially since my double swing damage is a whopping 3-10 :badteeth:

LittleSticks, the dual-wand-wielding Frenzy Barb, and Ryann, his Act 1 Rogue Fire merc. Level 12, Act I, Stony Field

Last edited:

Where have all the other posts gone?

Got the cube. And cubed:

Code:
Amber Eagle Orb
Eagle Orb
One Hand Damage: 2 - 5
Durability: 20 of 20
Required Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0xf8425e98
Item Level: 25
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+1 to Energy Shield (Sorceress Only)
+11 to Mana
Lightning Resist +31%
2 Sockets (0 used)

A bit costly to repair, but my weapon of choice against the Beetles in the Maggot Lair - and later Meph and Diablo, should I get this far. Waiting for Ral or Ort runes to drop - Countess gave an El :badteeth:

Ruby the Enchantress and Divo the Cold Rogue, Level 24, Act II, Lost City next

Made it to Act 4 yesterday (Yeah... I had nothing to do yesterday...)
I skipped much of act 3 because I sincerely hate it. There is no quest/anything I like about act 3, but it did give me a new grailer for me, yet I can't equip it.

I have a wand of lightning damage, 1-105, and I am currently refreshing jamela at a alarming rate to find if any wand with dual damage can be found. Lower resist does not seem to help too much my merc so far, but Il continue testing (Meph gave me my level 30). I found absolutely nothing so noteworthy, execpt non-grailers unique....weapons. I found a ton of gold weapon, but almost nothing to equip thats worth it. The rare drop are really not bad, giving me neat resists for now. Charms have been awfull, just awfull, except a 12FHR/18LR grand charm and 10/9/8 life charms. Other noteworthy are 1-6LD SC, and 1-2CD SC, plus a 6 poison per 3 to stop the regeneration. All the others were useless and thus, sold. I got a nice tal, useless for now.

On the skills note, bone armor saved my life probably over 10 times, while bone prison/wall are getting useless. Fear is the BEST to force monster to fight 1 on 1. Confuse is still used as a major distraction, and it works well. Repairing my wand so often is getting on my nerves thought.

A notable battle was with Sszark, where he almost instakilled me. Bone wall saved me there, since it kept his pawns away. Phew.

Code:
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 4               30           --

Code:

Embrus got cube. Piece of cake. Somewhat slow. Bow-lady no better bow, but still plinks nicely. Werebear huge. 450 life. Tanks by doing nothing. Can fire-slap if needed. Vine heals werebear. Good for tanking and bones destruction.

Rolled Fiery (17-60) Bone Wand with 2 sockets. Want Static instead, but no more gems. Maybe shop Static wand from Ormus later.

Embrus the Fire Claws Werebear and Iantha the Fire Rogue, level 23, Far Oasis next.

kestegs said:
You have to make sure that it is the right base type to be able to get 2os is all. http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/wands.shtml

aka bone or grim wand for the normal bases, wand and yew wand only get 1os.

bone/grim can still spawn with only 1os as well though right? This just means that they have the potential to get 2os whereas wand/yew can not.

I always thought the recipe plopped one socket regardless of item type. Learn something new every day :nod:

blood raven is dead. cain has been rescued, sitting at the dark woods waypoint. MF is progressing slowly @ 27% atm (only three topazes and a buttload of the other ones, why???) No S/Us so far.

added drewgie and brakstav to the table.

Code:
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 4               30           --
RuddyC         Panoramix      Druid       1               15            -5
Brakstav       Susan          Assassin    1
Drewgie        LittleSticks   Barbarian   1

Code:

I'm in with a barb, not certain on the build just yet. Not really sure the barb combat skills are going to add all that more damage, might end up with berserk if he gets that far.

Updated jiansonz's progress.

Edit: Played to the Cold Plains WP. Almost died with a barb in the Blood Moor. That would have been embarrassing. At the entry of CP was a Gargantuan boss pack, cursed. Had to back up and break them up. Went back to town and bought a socketed wand and put a chip sapphire in. That helped.

Code:
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 4               30            --
jiansonz       Embrus         Druid       2               23
Mournblade     Leopold        Barbarian   1               7             -3

Code:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High