[2012] Whacky Wand Tournament [by Merlin The Wizzard]

Re: Tournament: Whacky Wand Tournament

Ruby and Khaleel have started NM Difficulty and reached the Black Marsh WP. Her trusty Chance Guards were replaced by Blood Fist to get from 13 to 9 frames hit recovery :badteeth: Gambling for an FHR belt with resists and life, but no luck. Might craft a Blood Mesh Belt later or mule on Twitchthroe for additional safety at the expense of MF. In the Stony Field, a Prismatic (20) Circlet of Life (4 PDR) dropped. A solid candidate for Larzuk socketing, I guess, if nothing better drops during NM. Treehead's gang was fence tricked and Cain was rescued. Ruby is now wearing a T-shirt "I rescued Cain and all I got was this lousy ring".

Destroyer Ruby the Enchantress and Slayer Khaleel the Cold Mage, level 49, NM Black Marsh next

Code:
[highlight]The merrily whacking ones[/highlight]
Forum Name     Character      Class       Act            Level       Points     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   1NM             49            ~ 60
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 1NM             42            56
Brakstav       Susan          Assassin    5               35            37
jiansonz       Embrus         Druid       4               32            32
Grisu          Sophia         Sorceress   4               32            32
Krupa          Nikola         Paladin     4               27            31
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    3               28            15
Mournblade     Leopold        Barbarian   2               25            10
RuddyC         Panoramix      Druid       2               21             4
zaphodbrx      wendigo        Druid       2               18             4
Drewgie        LittleSticks   Barbarian   2               24             5(?)
kestegs        DarkWANDerer   Barbarian   2               20             2
Kitteh         NoChance       Necromancer 1                6            -2(?)
Old Soldier    Judith            ?        1               14            -4

[highlight]The dewanded ones(ie, Dead!)[/highlight]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drewgie        LittleStick    Sorceress   1               11

Last edited:

In Harrogath, 2 green belts (Sigon's and Hsarus' were found, together with a rather nice (useless) rare Partizan! I did not know those could drop in the foothills already!?

One of Eldritch's minions dropped a very looked forward to rune, and the result was immediately put to use.

A nice pair of gloves were gambled, and a Circlet of Life Everlasting, if a very crappy one, and Susan and Flux tore through the Arreat Plateu like nothing.

Then Susan died.

I am still shocked and surprised. I cannot really remember dying in normal with any reasonable character, and Susan was more than this certainly. Ok, so I did not have full health, but around 300, and ONE whip from that Berserker Lasher one hit killed her! I have never experienced anything like it.

Oh well, thanks Merlin for the tournament. I am very sad not to be able to continue further.

Susan and Flux, deceased. Level 39. 40 points.

Sorry to hear about the deeds. I had something similar happen to me in the random tourney with my Assassin: 332 life and still almost 1-hit-KO by Ancient Kaa in Act 2 Normal (!!!).

@felix: Nice going! Seems like we not only have identical characters but also identical drops: I had Chance Guards drop, too (in the Kurast Sewers). Blood Fist is a great item for untwinked (and even twinked) play - very underestimated IMO.

According to the Diablo Wiki, a normal Lasher does 22-44 damage with his Whip attack. Berserkers get +270% ED in Normal difficulty, resulting in max. 162 damage. Furthermore, I think every monster gets a 5% chance to do double damage (critical strike). I guess the lesson is to stay away from Berserkers in Hardcore Mode! I would never have thought that they can deal that much damage either.

Finally got back to playing Leopold, the concentrate barb. I did put a point in berserk, but have not tried it out just yet. He has made it to the City of the Damned waypoint. Izual took around 8 minutes to kill on players 8. Couple quick trips back to town for repairs. With the concentrate, shout, the A3 cold merc, and my Umbral Disk shield that blinds target when hit, I feel pretty safe. I've been keeping my block maxed. It would take some bad play on my part to get killed. Fire res is maxed, lightning in the 60s, life around 440, so Diablo shouldn't be a problem...famous last words.:whistling:

Code:
[highlight]The merrily whacking ones[/highlight]
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   1NM             49            ~ 60
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 1NM             42            56
Mournblade     Leopold        Barbarian   4               32            35
jiansonz       Embrus         Druid       4               32            32
Grisu          Sophia         Sorceress   4               32            32
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    3               28            15
Drewgie        LittleSticks   Barbarian   2               24             5(?)
kestegs        DarkWANDerer   Barbarian   2               20             2
Kitteh         NoChance       Necromancer 1                6            -2(?)
Old Soldier    Judith            ?        1               14            -4

[highlight]The dewanded ones(ie, Dead!)[/highlight]
Brakstav       Susan          Assassin    5               39            40

Just a small update to signal that I'm still playing this although it is a royal PITA, to be honest. It took 2 hours to clear the Black Marsh including the Hole and the Tower. I mean, every Carver nest takes a couple of minutes to destroy. Furthermore, countless bosspacks had to be separated and killed carefully, including a particulary nasty LE/CE archer pack.

At least, item-wisely this session was one of the most successful ones I've ever had in single-pass play:

Code:
Milabrega's Orb
Kite Shield
Defense: 44
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 26 of 30
Required Level: 17
Required Strength: 47
Fingerprint: 0x118257df
Item Level: 43
Version: Expansion 1.10+
Unidentified
+25 Defense
20% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Set (2 items): +50 to Life
Set (3 items): +50% Enhanced Defense

The Iron Jang Bong
War Staff
Two Hand Damage: 24 - 56
Durability: 46 of 50
Required Level: 28
Fingerprint: 0x6e824966
Item Level: 40
+2 to Sorceress Skill Levels
+20% Faster Cast Rate
100% Enhanced Damage
50% Bonus to Attack Rating
+3 to Frost Nova (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Blaze (Sorceress Only)
+2 to Nova (Sorceress Only)
+30 Defense

Doomslinger
Repeating Crossbow
Two Hand Damage: 10 - 21
Durability: 26 of 40
Required Level: 28
Required Strength: 40
Required Dexterity: 50
Fingerprint: 0xf8d949e4
Item Level: 38
+1 to Amazon Skill Levels
+30% Increased Attack Speed
Piercing Attack
81% Enhanced Damage
+15 to Life

Aldur's Rhythm
Jagged Star
One Hand Damage: 60 - 93
Durability: 52 of 72
Required Level: 42
Required Strength: 74
Fingerprint: 0x1c8f323a
+30% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 40 - 62 Damage
+200% Damage to Demons
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 50 - 75 Lightning Damage
5% Mana stolen per hit
10% Life stolen per hit
Set (2 items): +15 to Strength
Set (3 items): +15 to Strength
Set (4 items): +15 to Strength
3 Sockets (0 used)

Hellcast
Heavy Crossbow
Two Hand Damage: 23 - 44
Durability: 45 of 50
Required Level: 27
Required Strength: 60
Required Dexterity: 40
Fingerprint: 0x8f722293
Unidentified
+20% Increased Attack Speed
Fires Explosive Arrows or Bolts
71% Enhanced Damage
+70 to Attack Rating
Adds 15 - 35 Fire Damage
+15% to Maximum Fire Resist
Fire Resist +15%

Darkglow
Ring Mail
Defense: 92
Durability: 24 of 26
Required Level: 14
Required Strength: 36
Fingerprint: 0xa1c4511
Item Level: 45
Unidentified
+20 to Attack Rating
+89% Enhanced Defense
+50 Defense vs. Melee
+5% to Maximum Poison Resist
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
+5% to Maximum Fire Resist
All Resistances +10
+3 to Light Radius

Spirit
Broad Sword
TalThulOrtAmn
One Hand Damage: 7 - 14
Durability: 24 of 32
Required Level: 25
Required Strength: 48
Fingerprint: 0x47185c16
Item Level: 41
+2 to All Skills
+34% Faster Cast Rate
+55% Faster Hit Recovery
Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
Adds 3 - 14 Cold Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
7% Life stolen per hit
+250 Defense vs. Missile
+22 to Vitality
+112 to Mana
+3 Magic Absorb 4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Tal Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune
Socketed: Ort Rune
Socketed: Amn Rune

Yes, the sword and the runes dropped in a single session.

Destroyer Ruby the Enchantress and Slayer Khaleel the Cold Iron Wolf, level 50, NM Tamoe Highland next

Xander feverishly defeat Andy with little ease. Actually the fight was tougher for some reason as my damage was low even with a level 3 Holy Freeze and a few points into resist cold. Andy ended me at around 30 hitpoints and I could of died if I was a bit more careless.

She dropped an awesome rare jewel: 10% ED, +6 max damage, +20 poison damage/over 2, +1 dex, required level 8. Went to act 2 bought a bone wand with 2os and stuck it in there quite nicely.

Other than that a few uniques dropped: Unique Sabre, Mace, and Spiked Club. To bad no other sets or uniques for the act. Act 2 should go smoothly as I'll respec once I hit 24 into a more damaging character.

The merrily whacking ones
Code:
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   5               36            40
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 5               33            34(?)
jiansonz       Embrus         Druid       3               28            15
Brakstav       Susan          Assassin    2               21             4
Grisu          Sophia         Sorceress   2               20             2
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    1                1             0
Mournblade     Leopold        Barbarian   2               20             0
Vang           Xander         Paladin     2               20             0
Drewgie        LittleSticks   Barbarian   1               18            -4
kestegs        DarkWANDerer   Barbarian   1               12            -6

The dewanded ones(ie, Dead!)
Code:

Xander has finished Act 2. My Rogue finally got a small upgrade composite bow with 5-18 damage which increased it from the single flawed ruby hunter bow I had her using.

Unfortunately I didn't find much sporting a ton of magic find(Hawkmail and Berserker's Hatchet was duriel drop so hawkmail was a decent find). Shimmering Circlet of Magus was gambled which will work wonderful for my newly hired Cold Magus along with Blood Crescent until something better happens along.

Overall only one NDE in the real tomb I got down to about 20 life before I was able to recover, not sure how but attacking seemed to deal damage to me more than standing still until I could finally move around.

Going to be needing a better wand soon, something with a few resist it seems will be a better item.

Xander has defeated Baal. Holy Shock kicked up and everything pretty much rolled over. Not to many hard spots to be honest and I don't recall any NDEs. I was decked out fully except for weapon and shield with magic find utilizing Artic Armor/Belt combo for a 40% and nice Def bonus and some decent resist.

Cold Mercenary was using a 20% FCR helm, Stealth, Blood Crescent and Sigon's Guard. He was a house as well.

I have found a full arctic set, as well as: 3 Arctic Bows and 3 Berserker's Axes and a three piece here

The Overseer dropped this nice wand:

Xander's Hailstone Bludgeon
Bone Wand
'EthEth'
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 7
Durability: 6 of 15
Required Level: 21
Staff Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 31
Fingerprint: 0x6db145a2
+17 to Mana
Fire Resist +36%
7% Life stolen per hit
6% Mana stolen per hit
+2 to Blood Golem (Necromancer Only)
-50% Target Defense
150% Damage to Undead
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Nova on striking
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Not entering officially but playing a new SC zon by the rules. Wondering whether Decoy is allowed as a shield, or whether it's considered a summon and disallowed.

Twiggy is L9, killed Blood Raven all by herself (I think she died laughing) and got a helper who shoots flaming twigs at the enemies. No NDEs and nothing interesting to note other than I think Twiggy was meant to be, because she found a necro stick in the Blood Moor after punching only a few enemies. I probably won't post updates unless something really interesting happens... since I'm not officially in this tourney anyhow.

Decoy is allowed according to the first post. Good luck with your 'zon and keep us updated! The interest in the tourney has somewhat decreased, anyway. It is a lot of fun in Normal but you might get crazy once you reach nightmare :/

Glad to see you (semi-) join, Trubba!

@felix: I'm still at it, but I don't have much time at my hands, so it might take a while to finish the character...already in Act 5 Normal though. Congrats on the Spirit Sword btw!

Another "short" playing session with Ruby the Wand Enchantress: Only 50 min to full clear the Tamoe Highlands and the Pits at /p8.

With his brand new Spirit Sword, Khaleel is literally mowing through the enemy hordes: Only 5 casts to kill a Devilkin! :badteeth:

Ruby and Khaleel, level 51, Outer Cloister

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High