[2012] Whacky Wand Tournament [by Merlin The Wizzard]

Re: Tournament: Whacky Wand Tournament

@OldSoldier - Sounds like you are quite busy these days then :). Anyways, glad to see you still haven't lost the time nor the desire to play the odd bit of D2 every once in a while!

@Felix - The utility skill is capped at 1. Anything that adds to it in a semi-permanent fashion, be it +skills from equipment or a synergy bonus from another skill, should NOT be used, if you want to use the skill at all.

Drewgie said:
Are you sure the mastery damage is applied to weapon mods? I thought only spells.

Yep. Actually, it is applied to any kind of damage you deal, so Fire Mastery is applied twice to Enchant damage if you Enchant yourself. This means that Enchant damage is growing VERY fast with each skill point at higher levels (basically you can square the FM bonus).

Merlin The Wizzard said:
@Felix - The utility skill is capped at 1. Anything that adds to it in a semi-permanent fashion, be it +skills from equipment or a synergy bonus from another skill, should NOT be used, if you want to use the skill at all.

Ok, thanks for the clarification - and for hosting.

Last edited:

Just searched the forums and read a useful enchantress guide. They recommend as one alternative to FIs exactly what you did felix: loading up on lightning dmg charms (and in this case hopefully a crazy awesome orb) and maxing LM.

The merrily whacking ones

Code:
Forum Name     Character      Class       Act            Level       Points     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zaphodbrx      hc_phoenix     Assassin    1               5             -2

The dewanded ones(ie, Dead!)
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akara's quest done, grabbed cold plains wp. Shopped a wand, then another wand with 1 os, skull cap 2os ( topaz? ), found a leather armor 2os ( topaz? ), as well as tomes of portal and identify. Question- if we have a wand with charges of amplify damage, can we use that?

I'm trying to look for a guide that I read once about single pass plays, it said to use topaz armors and such. Anyone have a link?

Last edited:

zaphodbrx said:
I'm trying to look for a guide that I read once about single pass plays, it said to use topaz armors and such. Anyone have a link?

Here you are.
Might join that one in the near future - thinking about the build though...

Another great idea btw, Merlin! Thanks for hosting!

EDIT: For a Barb, Frenzy or double swing "Strength" Wands might be an option, combined with crafted blood gloves/Goblin Toe etc for crushing blow. For PIs, he had to rely on high elemental damage wands though...

I can definitely see a rain of Phoenix Strikers and Enchantresses here, maybe some Fireclaw druid as well and some HS/HF Zealots :)

Last edited:

zaphodbrx said:
Code:
zaphodbrx hc_phoenix Assassin 1 5 -2
Drewgie LittleStick Sorc I 5
Code:

Zaphod - There was already an entry in the table. Try to look for the most recent one used, please. :)

Akara's quest done, grabbed cold plains wp. Shopped a wand, then another wand with 1 os, skull cap 2os ( topaz? ), found a leather armor 2os ( topaz? ), as well as tomes of portal and identify. Question- if we have a wand with charges of amplify damage, can we use that?
Charged Items: You are allowed to use any charged item skill that is allowed in the skill list.
If the skill in question is listed as an utility skill, you may only use it if the lvl of the charged skill
is 1.

That's under the armor section though. It applies for weapons as well, however. I'll edit it.

These guides can also be found by using the faq that is stickied at the top of the forum, tbh. However, for your perusal, here is jiansonz faq:

Guide to Untwinked, Single-pass, early game Magic Finding

Here is another guide. It focuses less on Mf, and more on plain survival, but for a large part it reiterates points jiansonz already makes in his guide. Nevertheless, assuming that it might have helpful tips, here it is:

Gunther's : A Guide to Untwinked, single-pass HC play, V0.2

EDIT: Aww, ninja'd by Grisu. Welcome btw :)

Last edited:

Code:
Drewgie        LittleStick    Sorceress   1               5
Grisu          Sophia         Sorceress   1               1              0

Code:

Oh well, you know me - count me in...:whistling:

Cheer up for Sophia, the Enchantress-to-be, named after my cute little daughter (and stealing the idea from Drewgie, who named his character after his newborn son :) )

The plan is to use Mana Shield and PDR/MDR on top to make it a safe build, but...we will see!

EDIT: btw, what about starting gear? May we use that till we can afford a wand?

EDIT2: what about throwing potions?

aww just punch stuff, it's not that bad!

I think a necro is viable but I don't think I have the patience. I'm going between a sin and a barb I think. Won't be able to start until this weekend though I'd imagine.

Whacked my way until Dark Wood (or rather, watched stuff dying from the Rogue's Cold Arrows). Best find so far: a Jewel of Envy.

@Grisu - I guess throwing potions and starting gear are out; socketed wands can be as cheap as ~300 gold, so no problem punching a few Quill Rats.

Code:
felixbavaria   Ruby           Sorceress   1               14            -4

Code:

Grisu said:
Cheer up for Sophia, the Enchantress-to-be, named after my cute little daughter (and stealing the idea from Drewgie, who named his character after his newborn son :) )

The plan is to use Mana Shield and PDR/MDR on top to make it a safe build, but...we will see!

EDIT: btw, what about starting gear? May we use that till we can afford a wand?

EDIT2: what about throwing potions?

Awww, Sophia is a wonderful name. Underused imo. Just a disclaimer who those who see this, I did not name my son "LittleStick" :rolf: Grisu is referring to a different character, although naming a kid LittleStick would be pretty awesome I guess.

I am debating Energy Shield myself. Although at the end of the day I don't think it's reliable. Especially with Mana burn uniques and the points being needed to make a viable solution for FIs. I would love to see you prove me wrong though.

Yes, the Sorc Masteries certainly apply to elemental melee damage. My recent Mastery Sorc Guardian got to experience that. She used Shocking weapons to take down FI + PI monsters. The maxed Lightning Mastery took the damage from 1-~440 to 1-1800-something.

FYI, Conversion has no to-hit check. Just swinging it at monsters is enough.

Why all the talk about using orbs with heavy elemental damage when wands can get the same affixes and are many times easier to get?

I have started my quest with Embrus*, Fire Claws Werebear (will maybe use Maul and Shockwave sometimes as well). He had a tough test early on against a Cursed Gargantuan Beast pack. The upside was that once they were eventually killed, he was almost level 8. Not long after, Iantha the Fire Rogue joined him. I have a feeling that Act I and early Act II will be smooth sailing. Then (especially from Act III) I will get to see what Fire Claws can do. It´s a skill I have never used. Actually, I am almost a complete noob with shifter Druids as a whole. As I see it, the main drawback for them in this kind of tourney seems to be that they can´t use tactically important charged skills (Teleport, Cloak of Shadows, etc.) while shifted...

(* his name is a combo of ember (the fire connection) and ursus ('bear' in latin).)

Cain has been rescued. Crappy luck with the small topazes (just 3 so far) but boots are Tangerine (6) of Chance (15), and he´s using Pelta Lunata which isn´t a bad shield for the early game. Iantha the Rogue has a 3s Superior Long Bow with chipped sapphire + ruby and a Jewel of Envy.

Embrus the Fire Claws Werebear-to-be and Iantha the Fire Rogue, level 15, Black Marsh next.

Joining in with Wandacro, a necromancer. He's going to be focusing on being a major curser and having a awesome boneshield, because it's the only thing that will save him.

Confuse, Decrepify, Lower resist will be obligatory. Lower resist will indeed often help my Iron wolf to do damage. Now I need to choose whether he's going to be ice, lightning, or fire.

I have a very basic wand 1os wand for now, but I do have something that made me smile.

Code:
Kokojo         Wandacro       Necromancer 1               17            --

Code:

Wow this tourney has started with a bang! Nice going Merlin!!!!

Considering Jiansonz is in along with possibly OldSoldier, i think that gives me enough motivation to start up my own character :). I should actually be able to make progress now considering my work placement is done and i have a lot of time on my hands until i start Uni in March.

So without further ado, i would like to introduce to you all, Bella the Phoenix Striking/BF Assassin. I really don't know how this is going to pan out without a tank, i am guessing pretty bad, however with patience and good luck, i am hoping to go as far as possible with her.

Bella the Phoenix Striking/BF Assassin, Level 1, Act 1 Normal, Points 0

edit: @Merlin, may i suggest Dragon Flight for Assassin's being allowed as a Utility skill? The damage will be almost negligible unless points are invested into it and it is a very helpful skill without causing any damage at all at level 1 really.

edit edit: Just realised FoF, CoL and BoI all need claws to be used......oh god, getting to level 30 is going to be a challenge in itself :\.

I want to join also, i played single pass before, so that doesn't really bother me, but first time in HC is gonna be way harder.
I'll join with a shape-shifter, not decided the build yet but leaning towards a rabies/fury wolf.

A question. For non-necros, what do you do at the start before finding a wand or shop one? unequip and whack stuff with your fists?

just adding jiansonz and morathi to the table:

Code:
jiansonz       Emrbus         Druid       1               15
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    1               1

Code:

I'm changing over to a fireclaws/rabies druid. I forgot entirely that elemental charges only work with claws.
Means I am starting over, not that it matters much at this stage.

Wendigo, the fireclaws/rabies druid

Code:
zaphodbrx      wendigo        Druid       1               1
jiansonz       Emrbus         Druid       1               15
Morathi        Bella          Assassin    1               1

Code:

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High