1.07 News, Info and Gossip

no it's ancient and incorrect about a handful of things. There was the new time traveler guide which is like a tl;dr version of what to do in 1.07 and how to do it, though I don't remember how far along it is.

BTW, I rushed a necro and barb (and 4 more mules) and will level (via cows) the barb + necro asap, so I can try one or both of them in cows!

Now that I have tons of socket quests, I think it's time to punch holes in some of my gear like vamp gaze, valk wing, etc.

The key trick is really interesting. Same/similar thing happened with TP tomes left in my stash when I was running 1.08 mephisto for HLW.

I plan on writing a 1.07 beta guide soon. I'll give u guys more updated info as well as some tricks that only work in the beta. There are several other things I know, sadly they patched them all in 08 or 09. The key/tp trick is really useful. Something most of u probably know: telekinesis could pick up any item pre 1.09. useful if a mob guards a chest.

Well I guess we should define first if 1.07 beta is going to be FAM or not. Since it is already difficult to tell if prelod patches are 100% FAM as in you can keep all items you find for yourself but can't trade them, I am quite curious what the veterans would tell here. Since most of us are pretty puristic when "downgrading"items from 1.14 to 1.13c that will be a major subject imo.

probably won't be FAM since the game needs to be modded to even play in single player as well as not being an actual official release but it's up to @Thyiad to decide or host a discussion on the topic. From what I've heard there are some game-changing items

FAM or not, its very exciting. Keep in mind those of us in SP have benefits the Bnet crowd just don't have. We get to pick and choose what we do or don't do. the pre 1.07 launch beta has some things that got nerfed for a good reason. For the first time in about 16 years we could have access to them in SP. It won't be easy such as in 1.1X where you can fire up a necro with minons and get to the end with no decent items.

We are one forum but we have a lot of differences in opinion. Some of us will love the idea of the rewards, others would never touch it. If everyone communicates about what they are doing/not doing and operates within the normal rules it should be fine.

I mentioned to @GalaXyHaXz the concept of a tournament. Think about pretty much everyone could start at the same time with no twinking (unless theoretically you brought something from classic). See how difficult it is to actually play, how hard it is to actually get anything decent.

One of the things that potentially gets me drooling is socketing more than 1 hole in a unique. I'm not sure how it might turn out, but an arcanes with maybe 4 sockets? Vamp with 2 or 3? Couple sockets in some big weapons .. you can see why Blizzard stopped it in the official release :D

Indeed, those who want to play the beta may, but you don't have too. Try looking at it this way: the disc for the beta sat in some guys attic for 16 years!! One day he cleaned it out and said "I remember getting this when I was a teen back in 2001. Enough time has passed, I'll share it with the world". And voila, now those of us who weren't lucky or too young back then get the chance to revitalize the game. Will it ever be FAM? No. This is because the game has to be supplemented by 1.07. Blizzard purposely excluded crucial code so the game would require connecting to the realms. Because of this, we can never TRULY have an identical playthrough on SP. But we can have something 95% the same, undocumented and never seen. Even the beta testers only had ~1 month to play it. There's many things that weren't discovered. Just in my testing, there's differences in the act 5 maps. All kinds of things to be discovered.

@Timinator Sadly, the function for Larzuk is part of d2game. The file from 1.07 we must use. So socketing will work the same. :(

Figured out how to do the portal glitch posted by @jimsfriend:
Place town portal/identify book in your stash. Place another one in your inventory. Use the book through hotkey or by clicking the spell (not the book) and it will use the one in the stash instead, however it will display the quantity of the book your carrying. When you run out, pick the book up and set it back down in your inventory to reset the quantity. This trick also works with scrolls.

Woo. My sorc is lvl 97 :eek:
This is my original 1.07 character that I've used for basically everything, except ofc the 15k council runs my 99 barb did.

Yeah those don't count anyway!

I think I'm mostly done racking now unless I find another good Shako rack
3 Shakos
4 Arkaine's (don't even know why I got a fourth)
3 GFs (was going for 2, continued running the map for chests and popped the rack) + tons of BK CB
2 Skullder's
1 WT
3 or 4 Wizzy
1 Valkyrie Wing
1 Lightsabre
1 Mavina Belt
tons of (eth) Threshers + Giant Threshers + GPAs + BAs for crafting/RWs

So that's like 20k rack runs (most a few years ago and some during the last weeks). Did I forget anything important? Guess I'll do a Barb next (like you). I have a rushed one thas is level 60?

My sorc did quite a few Crystalline Passage/Glacial Trail/Drifter Cavern/Ancient's Way/Icy Cellar runs lately, got her to 86.5. No interesting find's except for a Pul Rune and Tal's Mask.

nothing beats cows for exp, though any hell area in A5 seems ok for experience for casual play which is nice, even at lvl 90+.

You may want a SoE but tbh I would just run council or something until you find one. They drop a lot (most exceptional uniques do) if you do a few thousand runs.

vamp gaze is also useful but once again you can get it from council or random bosspacks if you're lucky.

edit: titan's or other class-specific uniques might be useful to rack multiple of for the variable automods, if you're interested in doing more racking... I also don't see LoH in your list

How many vex/Lo/gul are you sitting on after all of that? I've made 2x beta cta and traded/gifted a few Lo and I still have 4 vex, 1 gul, 1 ist, 1 Lo, 1 ber to use someday.

One of those runs nets me somewhere between 2 and 3 million xp at level 86, it's pretty good.

I have 1 Lo, 1 Vex, 1 Um, 1 Pul and then only lower. For the uniques I mostly did straight rack runs (quite a few weren't even in LK, but either Kurast Bazaar or Upper Kurast) w/o popping much else. I prefer to take a bit longer to find a better (read: easier/faster) map and then just watch Youtube or something and grind away. Usually no more than 3-4 teleports away from the way point without any complicated popping sequences etc

Edit: i did get LoHs (2 or 3 I think), forgot about those. What's SoE?

string of ears. It's OP because 15 mdr and ofc is great in general. IMO only mavina's trumps it and that's only if you need the FRW/manaleech and DON'T need the safety/leecf of soe.

A single cow run on /p1 will give you that much exp at very high levels, too :p It's nice not having the 1.10+ exp penalty

HC makes baal completely unviable unless you want to have a barb for BO for every single run because he's frightening even with good gear and static field range.

Or you could spend awhile with good range bringing him down to very very low HP with static field and then switch gear but without merc getting the kill it is much harder to get 556% MF on a character.(tedious, since he will be 1-hit by manaflame and it's too risky to tele onto baal)

I did make Guardian self-mping with Arkaine's + Shako equipped + BO, because I was a wuss after all that I had read about it (was easy that way). Don't see the point in visiting him again

He's easy enough with just sorc + BO if you're afraid (like I was) because then you should have over 2k life. iirc his attack hits 4x so 15 mdr would effectively reduce the dmg his manaflame does by 60. Ofc, just getting a +100 life belt/ammy is more effective, especially with BO in consideration lol. 25 mdr on skullder's is nice!
OFC, arkaine's + shako is even better but might be a pain to rack

I beat him with no BO, just ES. With 2 SoJ and ES the right level, he can't oneshot you. Just sliver him from safe distance, then telestomp him. Merc autohits him for the kill, and Baal needs to get very lucky to oneshot the merc first.

Well.. HC.... not sure I'd try then, but I haven't been killed by Baal in SC.

I don't know the mechanics for dmg taken when ES eats up all your mana in 1 hit, so I'm too afraid to try it, though I do use ES

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High