1.07 News, Info and Gossip

Re: 1.07 News, Info and Gossip

OK - I'm good and stoked now!

I've been keeping the Act 2 merc because of that 2 pEmerald eth Lochaber Axe (and babysitting him with potions when he doesn't die to quick to give him one) to farm up pEmeralds (for the 3os Espandon) before getting a Barb merc, and then I saw a blue Dimensional Blade fall. It was Jagged of Blight (so 2-7 poison over 3 sec) and I thought maybe it might get 4os from Larzuk (I have a normal Larzuk for each of my Sorc and my old Necro), so I took it to him and BAM!... whaaaa??? 2os??? Well, I said what the heck, put 2 pEmeralds in it, got the gear off the A2 merc, and got the Barb. Well... even with 2 pEmeralds, it does like 310-335 poison damage. That'll work. Then a thought occurred - the helm my merc had is a nice rare with 1os - and I did finally find a (something) Jewel of Envy recently - so knowing that gear-based poison works with weapon poison with 1.09 ranged weapons, I popped that jewel in that hat and BAM! He does like 550-650 damage per the LCS! (I've calculated that about 480-550 of that is from the poison)

It looks like bugged (I don't think it's a bug for 1.07 - I think it's an imbalance) poison stacking works in FULL EFFECT for 1.07 mercs!!!! Woo-Hoo! That's not true for the 1.09 ranged bug. That means, I know what I'm going to be looking for to equip my merc - either a Jewelers/Aritsan's Sword of Pestilence or a [poison] Sword of [Poison] and take it to Larzuk hoping for 4os for pEmeralds, and watch that Barb kill things. Then look for armor with sockets and add jewels of Envy to make it ridiculous. I have not read this entire thread to see if this is a common tactic, but I think it will work well (until a PnI ofc), but with a LR wand, I think a merc could handle much of the game.

SO... with that new Barb merc (hired at level 31), I decided to take him through NM Act 1 hoping he might level to 44 (my Sorc's level) by Andy. LULZ! He was 44 by the Underground Passage! Man-o-man, mercs level up quick in 1.07! So, with him doing 550-650 poison over 7 seconds, I took on NM Duriel, and EZ-PZ! Just static and let the merc's poison do the work. The merc didn't even die. That dude can even tank a Mummy (the A2 merc folded against a Mummy immediately). It's been a VERY long time since I've ran with a Barb merc - that guy is fun to watch compared to an A2 merc.

The only thing that got him was MSLE (my first look at 1.07 MSLE - just like 1.09 MSLE - big fat white globs of death). I was sure happy for that String of Ears she found!

Also got Sander's RipRap from Duriel (gogo MF breakpoints!), and the Orphan set gloves from leveling the merc!

So, after all this fiddling around, the inventory was full, it was late, so Speranta (my sorc) did not step out into the Spider Forest, but I am more jazzed and excited than I ever thought I would be playing this patch! I'm really looking forward to shopping/finding an awesome sword for him.

One thought occurs to me... Venom Sin with bugged poison sword. Hmmmmmmmmm.

^was the 15 mDR enough in NM to completely negate MSLE dmg? I find 25 mdr and max res is enough in hell, mostly. It seems I take a small amount of dmg sometimes (but not always!...)

Maybe I should outfit my barb with some sort of poison wep.. someone want to briefly outline what I need to do to get crazy poison dmg without much effort?

i've also been thinking it may be worth searching for a XXX phase blade of quickness and hope for 4os. I then wonder what a good XXX would be for the obvious use on a dreamsorc or whatever builds normally use 4-6os phase blades for fast attacks. I'm not even sure what mods would go in a prefix... maybe cruel? :p

^was the 15 mDR enough in NM to completely negate MSLE dmg?

I didn't notice any damage, but my 1.09 experience has trained me to run at the sight of globs (unless I have Light Absorb).

someone want to briefly outline what I need to do to get crazy poison dmg without much effort?

Basically all sources of poison damage combine for the poison damage rate, and the duration of each source gets added together (like it does with dual affixes on charms). So the extra 2s from a Jewel of Envy will extend the poison/sec from other sources an additional 2 seconds. So, for an easy Barb weapon, a 6os Sword with 6 pEmeralds will do like 1080 poison damage over 6 seconds. Pop a Jewel of Envy in the hat or armor, and then you're looking at 1520 damage over 8 seconds. My dream weapon would be Pestilent of Sword of Anthrax or some such, and having larzuk putting 4 sox, so that 120 poison/sec from the pEmeralds adds for the whole duration.

How does the Act 2 merc's jab attack work with the poison? Doesn't the poison damage get reset after each successful hit? That why I tend to use pRubys to get the instantaneous fire damage with each thrust of the jab.

Should be cheap enough to compare merc performance - get identical socketed spears and do test runs with each one. What I REALLY like about the poison is the ability to Static a boss while the poison kills. Also keeps a 'porting unique taking damage.

Does it prevent the healing that teleport normally gives a unique monster?

No - the monster gets the 'port random healing, but does continue to lose health from the poison. It's not perfect, but it does help.

********UPDATE********

A reason to smile and hang around in NM LK for a while:

rack

rack

rack

rack

Last edited:
OK - I've been waiting for this transition to finish so I could update my 1.07 experience.

First off, my first great drop, chronicled earlier - that String of Ears drop that made Speranta able to cope with LE and the like.
Screenshot114_zps4ac1a256.jpg

Then, not long after, a site that I usually welcome that I had heard would make me cry in this patch:
Screenshot116_zpse1bbf95e.jpg

Well, for a fledgling FO Sorc sick of popping potions, this actually was quite useful:
Screenshot119_zps736ebc39.jpg

Then a helm that I figured I could put to use as well:
Screenshot142_zpsc18f6ba8.jpg

I actually used my Necro's Normal Larzuk to put a pTopaz in that. She still sports the Ribby and Sazabi hat.

Not from any rack, my very socketed item to convert to 1.13 (I figure this would rule as an early Insight base):
Screenshot175_zpsc95aa33f.jpg

So I've already mentioned the stable Russet Armor rack... but what I later realized is that a straight shot up from that resulted in a stable Winged Helm rack as well. Since I heard that the 1.07 Valk helm was a keeper, I added that to my circuit.
Screenshot176_zps541fdad8.jpg

Screenshot178_zpsd3c7e22b.jpg

Well, last night, those racks dropped GOLD!!!

First:
Screenshot218_zpsa82ff290.jpg

Then...
Screenshot227_zps09d1b8f1.jpg

and what's more... I've been playing this game since 2008, but I have NEVER found an ETH Skuller's... until my first one in this patch:
Screenshot231_zpsd215478d.jpg

BUT... the 1.07 guide LIED - it said that 1.07 Skullder's had all the bonuses of the 1.09+ version, but where's my +60 durability???? This armor's broken without it!!! It's not like it's gonna repair itself... um.. wait a minute.. it DOES repair itself!!! LULZ - why in the world did Bliz see the need to add 60 durability to this item???

Well, those are the highlights. She hasn't gotten past LK, but has leveled to 54 running it. I don't think I'm gonna leave this map just yet - I'd like to get a few more Valk helms and Skullder's(es) before worrying about LoH, Arkaine's, and the like.

Last edited:
Very nice! I wish mine was eth..

I didn't get my valk until Hell but you're lucky to get both of the good maps in NM. I'm sure you've already got some but don't forget that G-face is amazing and you'll get a handful of those, too

I reached lvl 85 earlier and still no Arkaine's. Now my focus is on just that rack (and the super chest on the way in the halls) and on nothing else so I can hopefully rack one soon

In the trenshadow thread I linked the files in one of the lastest posts.

Can the patch be played without a 1.07 in the drive? My approach is to just play off a clean install from the original disc.

I do have the original discs, but I've converted them over to the 25 digit keys on my bnet account so that i can download the game. I think as long i put the CD in the drive that shouldn't matter though... hopefully.

@edistotiger - my approach was to rename the existing 1.1x install directory as something other than "Diablo II" and do a clean install off both the classic and expansion discs. Does your original install code from the case not still work?

I forgot to mention that I have a Slayer Guard rack on my NM LK map too - not as stable as the Russet Armor and Winged Helm racks (those are very close to 100%, especially the Russet Armor rack), but still hits about 75% of the time. This is an amazing map!!! I've already gotten 1 Skullder's, 2 Valk Wings, and 3 G-Faces. I'm gonna keep running it for an Arreat's and one more Skullder's. The map takes some time to run, but I think it's worth it, especially given how rock solid that Russet Armor rack is and the fact that there are some boss packs that have helped Speranta level to 57.

I've gone through some of the early discussion on this thread, and it does not appear that anyone has exploited the bugged poison stacking on a merc. I think I'm going to investigate this more, because I think it is an elegant way for the merc to get the kill for the MF (static a poisoned boss, the poison will get the credit... I think). I did shop a dual poison affix Flamberge that already produces like 80-160 poison over 6 seconds - with 4 sox, the poison on that could be amazing - 4 pEmeralds would get that to about 1300 to 1425 poison over 10 seconds, and a Slayer Guard (I've been collecting 3os Slayer Guards from my rack) with 3 Jewels of Envy would pump that to around 2300 to 2700 over 16 seconds. That still leaves room for a pTopaz Skullder's, and I think would work with 1.07 Static like no other form of merc damage.

Right now I'm using a 4os Battle Sword with 3x pEmerald and an Eth rune - there is a rack on my map that sometimes drops Executioner Swords, so I'm starting to pick up gray ones in hopes of 5+ sockets (do these get 6os in 1.07?).

Now... how do I get some more Larzuk rewards? I'm not giving up Speranta's NM LK map, so I think I'll just have to start a new character and churn through the hard way - maybe a Barb once I run NM Mephy for some cool sets. I could see a Death's/Sigon's hybrid getting through Normal just fine.

****One more thought****

Jewels of Envy are rare - I've found 3 so far, mostly with my sapphire farmer (Holy Fire Pally)... but, I do have a fair number of random crap jewels. Did I read that the 3pGem recipe re-rolls the item level to 1? I think "of Envy" is a level 1 affix, so that might be a way to get some. I'll check my BattleChest Strategy Guide (which is actually useful for 1.07).

Last edited:
@edistotiger - my approach was to rename the existing 1.1x install directory as something other than "Diablo II" and do a clean install off both the classic and expansion discs. Does your original install code from the case not still work?

I'm not sure yet. I tried installing LoD off the disc onto downloaded D2 classic and it couldn't even detect the game. I need to dig out the D2 classic disc and try installing both from the discs.

I think when i converted my old 16-digit keys to 25-digit keys and put the game on my Bnet account it said that my old keys would no longer be valid, but i don't see how they could enforce that anywhere except possibly on battle.net. AFAIK the cd-key security is all on the disc.

Racked these last night.

Natalya's Mark
Scissors Suwayyah
One-Hand Damage: 81 to 177
Durability: 17 of 34
(Assassin Only)
Required Dexterity: 123
Required Strength: 130
Required Level: 79
Claw Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x2b7186a
+200% Enhanced Damage
Adds 12-17 fire damage
+50 cold damage
40% Increased Attack Speed
Ignore Target Defense
200% Damage to Demons
200% Damage to Undead

I thought fantastic I can use it on my..... Then I saw the level requirement and sighed.

In all my rack running I've only found one or two uniques.

Yeah.. most of the high end sets and uniques won't be of any use while questing. Their level requirements are just that high and 1.07 chars tend to be so low levels when completing the game...

I've now racked almost all the items (sets/uniques) I wanted in the beginning, for forwarding purposes. When my current map drops that Gaze I only need to find a good Heavy Bracers map for Ghoul Hide. Then it's only some eth bases, greater crafting materials and maybe something for possible 1.07 chars...

The key to uniques from racks is good maps. Just don't bother if the rack(s) aren't near the WP. It's more time efficient in my opinion to roll new maps than run a rack far away :) also alway use minions/hydras to test all the possible items rack could drop.

I found out last night that if I 'port straight to that rack (instead of running around to hit the Slayer Guard rack, kill some monsters, then the Russet Armor and Winged Helm rack), it still drops Russet Armors! Since I've alread racked some G-Faces and Valk Wings, I think I'll forgo the Arreat's and go for the ~20 sec run time versus the ~3:30 run time.

Quick question - what 1.13 build would most benefit from a 1.07 Valk Wing?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High