Anything Goes D2 Lounge!

QQ: Is 2k Frozen Orb damage possible?

The calculation with theoretical gear below falls just short of 1.8k, so is there any gear setup that can lead to such damage numbers?

Gear: +15% Nightwings (+5% facet), Arkaines (+5% facet), Arachs, +3 Cold Ammy, +30% DFathom (+5% facet), +20% Facet Monarch, 2x SOJ, 9x Cold Skiller, Torch, Anni, Battle Comm
QQ: Is 2k Frozen Orb damage possible?

The calculation with theoretical gear below falls just short of 1.8k, so is there any gear setup that can lead to such damage numbers?

Gear: +15% Nightwings (+5% facet), Arkaines (+5% facet), Arachs, +3 Cold Ammy, +30% DFathom (+5% facet), +20% Facet Monarch, 2x SOJ, 9x Cold Skiller, Torch, Anni, Battle Command
Don’t forget skill shrine :)

Working on a meteorb build atm, figured it be a good starter MF build as even as much as i like the trapsin i still miss the teleport and im a long way off a enigma right now. Up to act 5 NM so should start hell soon.

Do people perfer max block or max vit usually? Was thinking about just going all in on vit and possibly going for a spirit shield if i can find a monarch. Different guides seem to go different ways on this, but i do like the bonuses the spirit sword gives and woulden't mind keeping it once i find a occy or something.

I generally do not find block worthwhile, especially in SC and even more so with classes like Sorc that have slow block rate. I tend instead to focus on FHR and higher vita (which reduces odds of going into hit recovery). Basically, for MF runs in SC, I think vita/FHR approach for Sorc is the way to go. Good luck with the Sorc whichever approach you take!

Reactions: Dudzy
I generally do not find block worthwhile, especially in SC and even more so with classes like Sorc that have slow block rate. I tend instead to focus on FHR and higher vita (which reduces odds of going into hit recovery). Basically, for MF runs in SC, I think vita/FHR approach for Sorc is the way to go. Good luck with the Sorc whichever approach you take!
I usually take that route in HC, too.

Block lock is nasty, and I'd rather have more life when in hit recovery than less life when I'm block recovery. Also, more life means that CtA becomes more effective.

Also, I'd try to hit the 105% FCR breakpoint. You can usually teleport away from mobs before they hit you if you accidentally land right in the middle of a mob. With 63% BP only, that doesn't work all the time for me and I get struck at least once before teleporting to safety far more often than with 105% (NOTE: not scientifically proven... Only my experience from the last 2k AT runs)

Yo people who record, e.g. @maxicek and @Babyhell. Do you have any recommendation of capture software? Is Fraps still where it is at? It was a long time ago since I dabbled in recording...

Yo people who record, e.g. @maxicek and @Babyhell. Do you have any recommendation of capture software? Is Fraps still where it is at? It was a long time ago since I dabbled in recording...
Well i use my GPU software (Nvidia Geforce), and edit using the built-in Windows tools...So I wouldn't be of great help on that subject. Hard to me to put effort into this, it remembers me so much how good it was on Mac...

I think @Excalibur can have some input too (tagging for @Kartongen)

Reactions: Kartongen
I've been playing this on PS5 and initially had planned on getting this for switch. Unfortunately it's simply lacking. I didn't have super high hopes but Blizzard found new ways to let me down. No way to modify the player settings in single player? Why? Why remove features?

Anyway, I'm having fun but I think if I'm going to seriously play I will have to do it on PC

@Kartongen
I am also looking for another recording software because Fraps is not working at all with D2R.
Out of all the recorders I tried, Fraps was always the easiest and most practical to use.

Recently I installed a new one which made the D2R run slow and the recorded video was also very laggy.
So I would also like to know which recorders are ideal for D2R.

I don't know about D2R, but OBS (a streaming software, which also can record) works just fine on D2 classic, tho I can only guess that any serious quality requires a good PC and my 3 year old toaster already slows down with the runcounter from silosphen (it's drawing 40% cpu, a bug imo)

have to always manually set the priority of the runcounter to low.

any fix for it?

the new runcounter stopped working for me at some release, I remember it counted bosspacks, but that doesn't work on my new installation of my OS.

Regarding recording, after messing around with my Graphics Drivers due to some issues I had, I accidentally end up installing Radeon's Utility Software which offers recording as well and all I can is WOW. So easy to use, so practical and it records perfectly without any issues. It doesn't even slow down my PC which is nearly a 6 years old machine.

At a time that I though it was impossible for me to record D2R until I would get a new PC ( which wasn't in my plans anyway ) and waste hours searching for the appropriate recording software I have magically fixed this problem and I am hyped to create some videos.

@Kartongen If you want to start from somewhere this is where I would look for. Check your GPU and install the utility since as @Babyhell has also mentioned he uses his GPU's recording software too.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Am I wrong when I say that Win10 Game Bar recording doesn't work? I Haven't tested coz I uninstalled that thing from my computer. I know it can't record true full screen but d2r plays in window even if it's 'Fullscreen' it just removes the borders and stuff..

m4ke

My D2L recordings are all on the Mac so I use the built in tools and Soundflower to route the audio.

I haven’t worked out how to do it on Win10 yet

So this is the 3rd time this grave in the halls of pain has given me a damaged tiara this evening. Have these graves ever been investigated?

I wonder if they can behave somewhat like racks...

1636152284888.png

Last edited:
I've been using OBS for several years. I use it for work, and I've also done a bit of game recording (mostly minecraft and Doom Eternal). It's very powerful and feature rich, but that means there's a learning curve. I'd go with what @Excalibur said and use your graphics card's software, if available.

I have a pretty beefy system (needed for work), so OBS works great for me. If you do use OBS, then you'll need a separate editor. I used to use Lightworks, but it's a bit buggy (the free version anyway) and hard to use. I've been using Adobe Premiere recently (again, for work), but it's not at all cheap, so that's not the best option for most people.

I swear there used to be a post or guide by @nightfish that explained max block and when to go max block and the EHP type benefits of max block vs going all vita. Does anyone remember something like this, possibly by another author? I thought it was on this website: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Guide:Fishymancer_v1.10,_by_Nightfish#Stat_Points_-_Target_Values - but I don't think it's on there unless it's in some section I'm not looking. It was a real good mathmatical writeup about block and how good it is. Anyone remember something like this?

Reactions: PhineasB
I swear there used to be a post or guide by @nightfish that explained max block and when to go max block and the EHP type benefits of max block vs going all vita. Does anyone remember something like this, possibly by another author? I thought it was on this website: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Guide:Fishymancer_v1.10,_by_Nightfish#Stat_Points_-_Target_Values - but I don't think it's on there unless it's in some section I'm not looking. It was a real good mathmatical writeup about block and how good it is. Anyone remember something like this?
I'll look into this over the weekend. I think it may be in a Sorc guide (or quick guide) he did. I know the post you're referencing for sure though. That said (and for what it's worth), I'm a major Nightfish fan and follower, but this is an area where I definitely part ways with his approach. My view is Vita is always better, especially in SC, but even in HC (with an admittedly limited sample size). I know @maxicek has agreed, and at least a few others, including some who focus on HC. My bottom line is unless going for Stormshield (or a Pally with Holy Shield), max block isn't worth it relative to the Vita gains.

Edit: found thread I was thinking about:
As noted, I still personally don’t align with the analysis from my experience, with Vita surpassing block in most cases. But it will turn on class and gear in a few outliers.

And the other thread, which I knew was specific to Visceratuant: https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/visceratuant-uped-for-block.543518/

Last edited:
@PhineasB Thank you much, that's what I was thinking of.

I've always felt that if it was possible to go max block and you were already wearing a shield that would make it convenient then you should, and I've always felt tankier in those cases. Like one example aside from stormshield is wearing homunculus, it's great in so many cases and also makes it so easy to go max block that it feels very wasteful not to. or if you're a paladin.

I don't really go max block often outside pally, but that post has always stuck in my mind as something I should at least actively decide against because I'm choosing the trade-offs of more damage or more mf. It's especially relevant now with all the new players playing D2. I find so many people these days posting regurgitated thoughtless things about vitality and cookie cutter builds with literally no thinking or personal input. While the actual good uses of max block are sort of limited in optimized scenarios, it's one of those considerations that takes a little thought that so many new or returning folks haven't even considered, while simultaneously whining about dying a ton.

Outside this forum, so many folks kinda miss a great part of this game. Like people rush through the whole thing, play hammerdin, blizz sorc, and javazon from builds they read online, and complain when they don't trivialize all content immediately without even engaging with it in the first place. A discussion I had outside the forum regarding block brought this to the forefront of my mind. I've been chatting with a lot of folks about D2R in a lot of places because I am bored at work generally. But the fact that the overall sentiment towards block is that it shouldn't even be considered in any situation is sort of depressing to me. Like game mechanics shouldn't even be considered, just follow a guide, just rush to the end, play the meta. Sad.

It's kind of a rant here, not sure why, late night friday drinking whiskey. I should really spend less time reading and talking about D2, I've gone a bit off the deep end I think. TBH it's kind of given me a fresh new purpose in my life a bit over the past few weeks, I have been reading and writing and chatting with folks about it so much, it's been positive and I've also felt energized in my personal life otherwise.

What I'm trynna say is yall should take max block seriously. It's serious business.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High