Mass Effect Mystery Box Mafia Game

This is by far one of the dumbest things I've read all game. Sathoris said that Jcakes was town in the thread. You're insinuating that he's scum, and I'm part of his team?

I didn't say it was likely. I don't think it's especially likely at all, but...

1)Sathoris did say it was a bastard game.
2 Cops can get incorrect results on players from mods, why couldn't the mod give out an incorrect result to the town?

Alternatively, it could be some power that gives his old alignment when used and also changes his alignment. Again, not likely, and a super BM thing to do I would think, but possible.

Just keeping an open mind.

We have the better part of 3 days, so I'm not sure why the hurry to jump on the Numbers bandwagon. He gave useful information yesterday and drew attention to himself that he didn't need to, and he also immediately claimed responsibility for the 2nd kill last night and asked us to give him guidance to use another shot.

This is a really easy situation to work out honestly. If Numbers lives through tonight, the odds will be pretty high that he's scum. And if he isn't and the mafia want us to kill him for them, then he'll presumably have another flip to give us and lynching him will serve to confirm whether his claims are true or not.

As it stands now, his play reads town and while there is some WIFOM as to whether he has any shots left or not, if we lynch him today and he has been honest all we get is a dead townie who could possibly have done another kill (which he submitted a request for the town to advise with) and confirmation that Laarz was scum.

If; however, we let him go into tonight, then there is potentially much more to be gained, and he can still be lynched tomorrow to confirm if that's necessary. Frankly, I don't see why we should lynch him and do the scum's job for them if he is telling the truth. If he has night kills left and already took out one scum, they aren't going to want to leave him around in hopes that he's only got one or two shots.

Not to derail the current convo but does anyone else think Pharphis might have been scum? Did he say what the name of his self killing box was? (I may have missed it). Also his whole cg shoot me if I live you're town if I die you're scum play was weir

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes he did name his box (post 28) "Do not open this box / level 2". I am not sure scum pharphis would risk opening that box.

I mean to add the last bit to the previous post. Logically there are only three possibilities for numbers, that I can think of:

1.) He's a townie who got opened an info box night one and picked up a vig shot box and then used the vig shot box last night and used one of X kills, and hit a Laarz.

2.) He's scum and got the info box and shared it with us for townie points. Upon seeing a 2nd kill during the night he thought incredibly quick on his feet and get that big post up right after day start in order to claim the 2nd kill as a vig kill and gain more town points.

3.) He got some other ability by opening a box ... perhaps an alignment change (which would be how he got that info) into a neutral (Serial Killer perhaps?)

It does seem like he expected the two kills with how quickly his post was up when the day started, so I would suspect the first or third options to be more likely than the second.

Let me know if I've overlooked something.

Gets town cred for cg, "confirms" jcakes(who has no reason to still be alive right now), and lets laarz keep lurking for endgame support for jcakes.

Posts like "who has no reason to still be alive right now" always seem very scummy to me (regardless of whether it is me in that place). Mafia will often not kill someone at night if they think they can get the town to lynch / ignore that player. I remember the SP game in particular where the mafia left the claimed cop alive the whole game (he claimed on D2 I think).

I mean to add the last bit to the previous post. Logically there are only three possibilities for numbers, that I can think of:

1.) He's a townie who got opened an info box night one and picked up a vig shot box and then used the vig shot box last night and used one of X kills, and hit a Laarz.

2.) He's scum and got the info box and shared it with us for townie points. Upon seeing a 2nd kill during the night he thought incredibly quick on his feet and get that big post up right after day start in order to claim the 2nd kill as a vig kill and gain more town points.

3.) He got some other ability by opening a box ... perhaps an alignment change (which would be how he got that info) into a neutral (Serial Killer perhaps?)

It does seem like he expected the two kills with how quickly his post was up when the day started, so I would suspect the first or third options to be more likely than the second.

Let me know if I've overlooked something.

There is one big problem with point 1. I asked if I could use the ability in my box on N1 (I opened an x-shot ability) and was told I had to wait one night. I made the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that one could not use abilities the night they received them.

There is one big problem with point 1. I asked if I could use the ability in my box on N1 (I opened an x-shot ability) and was told I had to wait one night. I made the assumption (rightly or wrongly) that one could not use abilities the night they received them.

That information certainly impacts things. If that is universally true, then it would mean numbers had to have gotten his ability to kill from opening a box on night 1. Since he told us yesterday that boxes could change alignment, then if what you are saying is universally true, the only way that Numbers could have gained a kill ability AND learned that alignment change was possible on the same night would be if his alignment changed along with the gaining of his kill ability.

Can anyone else corroborate the enforced wait to use a gained ability?

Another addition. Thanks to Goryani for keeping me on my toes and pointing out all the loopholes :p

You may only perform two box actions during any given game phase. As such you may:

1. Do nothing
2. Open Box, do nothing else
3. Trade Box, do nothing else
4. Open Box, Pick up Box

Do keep in mind that picking up boxes can only be done during the night and trading between playes only during the day (duh)

Day has started.

Zauper has been killed. His kill flavour is incinerated

New list of boxes on the shelf that are available for trading (first post will also be updates):

Box Shelf:

Servant of the People / Level 3
Geth do not infiltrate / Level 2
Don’t f*** with Aria / Level 3
Scan all the planets! / Level 2
You’ll have to make them scream a little / Level 1
Primary Codex / Level 1

Reminder: day lasts 72 hours because I need the time.

I shot laarz. Rather, I ejected him from the airlock. He was mafia.

Yesterday I opened up the don't F*** with aria box and received (a) vig shot(s). Decided to go with shooting the lurker above all else. Tonight vig shot I'd like to open up to a Vote2 and see what everyone thinks I should do with it before I likely get shot by the scum tonight.

Unless I am missing something, Numbers could not have opened the "don't f*** with aria box" during D1. If I am recreating numbers steps correctly it must have been something like this

N1: Opened info box, picked up a box from the shelf.D1: Traded his box that he picked up night 1 for "don't f*** with aria"N2: Opened "don't f*** with aria" and used the ability in the same night.

My problem with the above is that he stated he opened "don't f*** with aria" during D1. But according to the post from Sath Point 3 above if you trade you cannot do any other box actions that day phase. Which logically means he opened the box last night. My experience has been if you receive an ability you cannot use it in the same phase you receive it.

I may well be missing something though.

That information certainly impacts things. If that is universally true, then it would mean numbers had to have gotten his ability to kill from opening a box on night 1. Since he told us yesterday that boxes could change alignment, then if what you are saying is universally true, the only way that Numbers could have gained a kill ability AND learned that alignment change was possible on the same night would be if his alignment changed along with the gaining of his kill ability.

I think I may as well provide some more detail. The ability I got was specifically a night action and I was told I could not use it until the next night.

The ability I gained last night from my second box also requires me to wait before I can use it.

List of shelf boxes at the start of N2:
Servant of the People / Level 3
Geth do not infiltrate / Level 2
Don’t f*** with Aria / Level 3
Scan all the planets! / Level 2
You’ll have to make them scream a little / Level 1
Primary Codex / Level 1

I *think* these are the same box as the start of D1. Some certainly are the same but I think all are.

Changes:
- Servant of the People / Level 3
- Don’t f*** with Aria / Level 3
+ No salarian hearts, no turian livers, not one krogan testicle / Level 2

Also...3 votes on me, in the first 4 hours, of a 72h day phase? That seems a little hasty, but okay. :)

Your post feels off to me.
While truth therein may be,
My vote upon thee will remain,
Lest my mind be changed.

Who tried to pick up a L3 box during the night phase? Absolutely serious question.

Not I.
L3 boxes are a level too high.

Another serious question: who tried to trade boxes during the day yesterday?

I did not try to trade.
My decision the day before already made.
Both boxes open with a keen eye,
But useful powers, I've been denied.

Still waiting for someone to show me where I lied. Never said I'd kill cg just that I'd shoot him.

Lying about being able to shoot him? Still, how do you see threatening someone to use their power to your liking with the option of possible death a pro-town move?

Another serious question: who tried to trade boxes during the day yesterday?

Nope.

Who tried to pick up a L3 box during the night phase? Absolutely serious question.

Nope.

I started with quib quib, which i opened on night 1, and used to learn about the alignment changes. I was late after the day change, so i attempted to pick up a level 2 box( no something or something something, mobile right now, when i get home ill get you the exact name) with the intention of, as soon as the day started and the new list was up, swapping it for a level 3 if one remained. I also made the blind trade post immediately after, in case i wasnt able to swap with the shelf. My shelf swap for dont f***with aria was successful, and i immediately opened it and gained my vigilante power.

If you read sathoris posts about box opening, he specifically says that powers may only be used starting the phase after you open the box. So, for cgs box for example, he must have opened it on N1 to be able to use it D1. Had he opened it D1, he would have had to wait until D2 to use it. In my case, the box i opened D1 was not usable until N2. Had i waited to open it till N2, i would have had to wait until N3 to use it.

This is all pretty clearly explained in the box rules. Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High