Mafia game thread

I hate this post. It just screams as if a scum is trying to get another Norman to reveal information prematurely.

Hmm, I see your point. However, given the random nature of this game it could very easily have been me with the PM (and may very well be me tomorrow, who knows!) and while I don't know for sure, I'm guessing I'd probably end up posting the PM sometime during the day anyway, somebody is bound to ask for a Norman to speak up. That being said, you're probably right about putting it out there like that since somebody is likely to ask anyway, should have just let them ask... *shrugs*

i havent read todays posts and i dont have time too, but i can say that i watched val last night, ill post the PM later if i get time.

i havent read todays posts and i dont have time too, but i can say that i watched val last night, ill post the PM later if i get time.

Why did you choose to watch Val?

I think the whole lay down is something like this:

Beth tried to kill Ted
Beth saved a Ted
Harry blocked a Harry
Ted watched a Harry
Norman tracked a Norman

This is what I got out of it, too.
So we know that cakes saved Goryani, which would be the "Beth saved a Ted" part of things. If we believe Male then he watched Val, but I think that's a big "if". I stand by my Mal vote, but I will hold off on reiterating it until there has been discussion.

Also, does anybody else get a "cop investigating self" sort of vibe from the part about Norman knowing he will do no evil? That was mentioned last game as something that is sometimes done, and it sounds almost like Sath is telling us someone investigated or tracked or watched or whatevered themself last night.

Isn't it obvious? He wants to give me a brain aneurism.

I thought so. I want to see an answer from him, but he is very close to getting a vote from me.

i watched val because IMO he was the most suspicious person at the time

By the looks of it it may be best to target a beth today?

All four (living) Harry's claimed to receive the roleblock ability. If true, and if at least one Harry is mafia (hello squid...) then mafia get to use the same abilities as town.

Laarz had to choose his target well before name claims and before seeing an example of the story and possible breadcrumbs. Laarz claimed his block ability after the story breadcrumbing was publically known but also after knowing if his breadcrumb was present or not. It would be possible for Laarz to lie about his target but I'd think it would still be difficult. He claimed before any other results from any ability were mentioned in the thread (pharphis claim didn't contain results).

pharphis' claim would be the easiest to fake. All he had to do was block someone and tell us he didn't block anyone. At the time, the watcher/tracker abilities weren't claimed. As those roles aren't exactly common, a calculated risk isn't usually too risky. Also, the story said a Ted watched a Ted so it's possible to construct a legit looking fake claim.

thefranklin had about as much information as possible to make a fake target work. All name claims. No roleblocker breadcrumbs in the stories thus far but the watcher breadcrumb was deciphered the day before. His choice of CG isn't likely to have blocked a power role. That looks townie to me though he did have patterns of names/abilities to work with and/or avoid.

Valhauros was the first roleblocker ability to appear in the stories, from what I can see. He appears to have blocked a Harry. A mafia roleblocker blocking a pro-town roleblocker is not something I expect to be possible in this game until we see double ups in the stories. Therefore, it appears Valhauros didn't attempt to block a power role.

Summary:
There doesn't appear to be any evidence to contradict any roleblocker claim. None of the roleblockers appear to use their ability to block a town power role. Any could have lied about their target, and some claims are easier to fake than others. Any could have used the roleblocker ability in a manner less than "ideal" from a town perspective. I don't see any outright "bad" choices (assuming the claims are all true) though some might (and have) disagree. In short, I don't see any easy lynch based solely on the claims.

i watched val because IMO he was the most suspicious person at the time

By the looks of it it may be best to target a beth today?

Ok now read the following posts.

Oh, and because I know there will be squealing from the cheap seats... [highlight]Jcakes comment: he had a quote claiming watching Val[highlight]
[/QUOTE]

Why choose Valhauros to watch?

The thread's alive...it's alive!!!!!!!

I chose Valhauros because of his general lurkyness, and IIRC he hadn't claimed a role yet.

What would watching Valhauros tell you about his lurkiness and torpor?

Watching someone will tell more than not watching them will tell.

What is torpor??

Watching someone doesn't tell you anything about that person. It tells you about people who visited said person. Watching a lurker is almost always a lose/lose situation, since it's highly unlikely scum will target a lurker over a more active player.

I think you may have thought you had a tracker role, which I could more easily see using on Valhauros.

Torpor is another word for a very heavy sleep.

Now that you have read the above exchange, why did you choose to watch Val?

I find this unsettling.

Your choice (and reasoning) of Valhauros a second time right after I had watched him seem too calculated.

All four (living) Harry's claimed to receive the roleblock ability. If true, and if at least one Harry is mafia (hello squid...) then mafia get to use the same abilities as town.

I was thinking about what this meant, too. I was specifically trying to analyze exactly how each person claimed, and if any claim seemed scummier than another's. Pharphis claimed first and posted the role pm at a kind of risky stage, but managed to change a couple of things. Laarz claimed after and pointed our what Pharphis changed. I claimed the roleblock the next night, noticed two differences, but was not pressed on the issue. Val gets the roleblock and posts (at least what appears to be, I didn't do a side by side analysis) the actual pm.

Laarz had to choose his target well before name claims and before seeing an example of the story and possible breadcrumbs. Laarz claimed his block ability after the story breadcrumbing was publically known but also after knowing if his breadcrumb was present or not. It would be possible for Laarz to lie about his target but I'd think it would still be difficult. He claimed before any other results from any ability were mentioned in the thread (pharphis claim didn't contain results).

pharphis' claim would be the easiest to fake. All he had to do was block someone and tell us he didn't block anyone. At the time, the watcher/tracker abilities weren't claimed. As those roles aren't exactly common, a calculated risk isn't usually too risky. Also, the story said a Ted watched a Ted so it's possible to construct a legit looking fake claim.

thefranklin had about as much information as possible to make a fake target work. All name claims. No roleblocker breadcrumbs in the stories thus far but the watcher breadcrumb was deciphered the day before. His choice of CG isn't likely to have blocked a power role. That looks townie to me though he did have patterns of names/abilities to work with and/or avoid.

Valhauros was the first roleblocker ability to appear in the stories, from what I can see. He appears to have blocked a Harry. A mafia roleblocker blocking a pro-town roleblocker is not something I expect to be possible in this game until we see double ups in the stories. Therefore, it appears Valhauros didn't attempt to block a power role.

Summary:
There doesn't appear to be any evidence to contradict any roleblocker claim. None of the roleblockers appear to use their ability to block a town power role. Any could have lied about their target, and some claims are easier to fake than others. Any could have used the roleblocker ability in a manner less than "ideal" from a town perspective. I don't see any outright "bad" choices (assuming the claims are all true) though some might (and have) disagree. In short, I don't see any easy lynch based solely on the claims.

I bolded a part.

I'm really hoping that the mafia don't get these pms, and that this proves that the mafia Harry is hiding as another role, as has been put forward before. Like some people have said, I claimed at a risky time, with a risky pm as a Harry. He wasn't looking good in any way, so it probably made the most sense for the mafia Harry to claim different.

^I'm looking at this under the assumption that there is only one of each character in the mafia, btw.

I wonder if this means that mafia had 2 kills last night, and you saved Gory, and someone else was saved as well by someone else.

You commented on this later, but it still really bugs me. What makes you think it possible there can be 2 kills, as we have never even seen a hint of that before?

Now here is the main part of my theory. Kill flavours. That means, when someone is NK'd we should be able to decipher which character name sent the kill. I don't think the hitman is one person per say. As with all of the powers that are sent out - they are randomly assigned. I theorize that even the mafia's hitman power is assigned randomly as well.

So lets say there is a mafia group of each 4 characters (4 seems small, I don't have that figured out at all). During the day, the mafia group is just 'Vanilla Scum', meaning, there is no hitman. But, each night, the hitman role is given out randomly to one of the mafia members and they are the ones who then send in the kill (but also, they may not get a role either, as it seems from today's story).

This would explain how there is flavour in the kills, as Sath said. Also, it would mean that when OMG and Coju died we should specifically be looking at Harry and Ted as the only people able to send in a kill.

I think it's an important mention, if the theory is correct.

Agree with most of this. The real question is random or rotating? No one has claimed getting a power twice so far. Could the hitman PM be working by the same rules?

You know who I mean. If you don't, then I am disappointed and you go and sleep til this is over! Oh, you want me dangerous? I have claws! Tell me why would a Beth come out now with the ability? Wouldn't it be much better to hide who had it when a bit longer?

I see it as a good idea when the save is actually successful - in most games you don't because the doc could die. But when it is rotating between people, you can't kill off a claimed doc as easily.

Sometimes confirming a player as town can be just as important as getting a guilty result.

Well, to be fair, I was wrong in at least one of my theories. It seems pretty obvious to me now that the mafia team was recruited into service over the course of a couple nights. Which means reads on a few players are circumspect right now.

I still think there's one of each role in the team, as well as a Ted lying about his name.

Almost forgot that about the person imbalance. Care when posting full PM's, might be able to use that to spot a fake.

So we know that cakes saved Goryani, which would be the "Beth saved a Ted" part of things. If we believe Male then he watched Val, but I think that's a big "if". I stand by my Mal vote, but I will hold off on reiterating it until there has been discussion.

Agreed with this, and with Gory. Mal, could you give the reasoning behind going for Val last night?

Because there are other more interesting subjects to look at that 1 of the 3 Norman. None of them look scummy enough.
I'll have to google what a tracker is, I was thinking cop.

A tracker is essentially the opposite of a watcher, a tracker sees who the person they target visits during the night, where as a watcher see who visits the person they targeted.

What do you make of Beth trying to kill herself though? Could she have meant to kill a Beth and it got switched to a Ted? Not quite sure how that role works, guess I should look it up heh.

I think this is unlikely, I think Goryani says it somewhere after this post but the kill flavors relating to that characters manifestation makes the most sense. Harry = squid, Beth = suicide. I would expect to see something similar to this in the stories after each night.

This statement implies no additional recruitment but doesn't specify whether mafia completed via recruitment or some other mechanic. Regardless, no matter how mafia got there, mafia are there now.

I didn't notice any roleblocking story stand out in the stories. Then again, a roleblocker doesn't normally receive any results. Likewise, a doc normally doesn't receive results yet last night's story seems to include those results. Can any Harry (or anyone else) find the roleblocking breadcrumbs in previous stories?

There doesn't seem to be a kill flavor for N1. No NK sent in? Mafia weren't allowed to send in a NK? No Harry's are mafia?

Last night's stories are the clearest of them so far, which may be why it was so easy for me to pick out the night actions last night as opposed to previous nights.

Earlier, Laarz posted a kill flavor list. Beth had suicidal tendencies. When I see Beth having suicidal thoughts, I interpret that to mean Beth is the hitman.

I agree with the above, it seems to be the most likely scenario so far.

Basically, when me and CG were confrontational, I said I see no reason why a Norman wouldn't be a good choice to RB (b/c in my theory, there were mafia all set up in N1. So, there was the possibility of Norman being scum). From what Sath said, I choose to believe that CG was right in the fact that Norman couldn't have been mafia yet b/c he hadn't entered the sphere.

It's why I mentioned it. Personal theories always sound fool proof, it's when you tell others do you start to see the flaws.

Based on the roles:
Harry - RB
Ted - Watcher
Beth - Doc
Norman - ???

I'm trying to figure out how a kill flavour and save can work into no night kills. I still theorize that there was no hitman ability given though.

From the way the story is worded it seems that Norman being a Tracker seems the most likely. What do you mean by that there was no hitman ability given? As in they aren't assigned as a hitman specifically?

I wonder this because the story suggests 2 people were going to die, with 1 of them being saved by beth. The two to die would have been beth and ted. No deaths = 2 preventions in my mind. However, as someone just stated, beth's kill flavour is suicide, so maybe that means she always tries to kill herself but really someone else is affected instead, which was also shown in the story.

I'll reiterate because that sounds confusing.

I read it as Beth and Ted were going to die, which would suggest 2 NKs, and because we had none would suggest 2 saves of some kind.

When I consider that Beth's "kill flavor" is suicide, then the story really only suggests that Ted was going to die, and that Beth's suicide attempt would always cause someone other than her to die.

I'm not sure how you pulled 2 preventions out of the story, it sounds like you were trying to speculate something that isn't really there.

This. How many times was I almost lynched in the last game?

Probably 3 or 4, and imagine that, we were right, it just took a bunch of wasted days for it to happen.

Why would you watch Val last night after the discussion yesterday about flubb watching Val, if val is scum then we wouldn't see anyone visiting him for a night kill now would we?

Also, does anybody else get a "cop investigating self" sort of vibe from the part about Norman knowing he will do no evil? That was mentioned last game as something that is sometimes done, and it sounds almost like Sath is telling us someone investigated or tracked or watched or whatevered themself last night.

I still think that Norman tracking a different Norman seems the most likely, but I guess that could be wrong. Also, I wouldn't take it as a cop investigating self (if it really is a cop role) since there are multiple Normans.

I bolded a part.

I'm really hoping that the mafia don't get these pms, and that this proves that the mafia Harry is hiding as another role, as has been put forward before. Like some people have said, I claimed at a risky time, with a risky pm as a Harry. He wasn't looking good in any way, so it probably made the most sense for the mafia Harry to claim different.

^I'm looking at this under the assumption that there is only one of each character in the mafia, btw.

Looking at it from a randomization standpoint, I wouldn't doubt that they would receive these pms because assuming a 4 person mafia team that would make it a little more balanced if the powers sometimes landed in the hands of the mafia (thereby keeping it out of the towns hands for a night). However the only one that really does anything for them is the roleblocker role.

Well, this isn't an ordinary game and there turned out to be a recruitment mechanism, as well. I didn't think about it very hard but I supposed the mafia had a chance at 2 kills in a night, as well, since we seem to have a rotating doc role (not easily dispatched by NK) to balance things out.

Like I said I'm under the assumption of 1 of each character as mafia, with a 5th as Jerry or something (yes I know jerry is harry), so balance-wise it didn't seem crazy. I've never made a game, though, and don't have the big picture. The main reason I thought there were 2 attempts at a kill is because that's exactly what the story says. (When you don't take into account that Beth kills by attempted suicide apparently).

---

I just thought of something else. Assuming we have a rotating hitman, then the next best bet for a block would be on a norman, next, iirc the hitmen so far (Harry, Ted and then Beth? In order of them entering?)
Still, it may just be random which one delivers the kill.

I still think that Norman tracking a different Norman seems the most likely, but I guess that could be wrong. Also, I wouldn't take it as a cop investigating self (if it really is a cop role) since there are multiple Normans.

Looking at it from a randomization standpoint, I wouldn't doubt that they would receive these pms because assuming a 4 person mafia team that would make it a little more balanced if the powers sometimes landed in the hands of the mafia (thereby keeping it out of the towns hands for a night). However the only one that really does anything for them is the roleblocker role.

I would hope that if Norman is a cop they would not waste a night with a self investigation. We had a Harry flavored kill and all Harry's claim to have gotten the roleblocking role. This says that mafia can at least get that power, and I would bet they can get the others.

I just thought of something else. Assuming we have a rotating hitman, then the next best bet for a block would be on a norman, next, iirc the hitmen so far (Harry, Ted and then Beth? In order of them entering?)

After more thought, it seems too easy for town if hitman rotates - we figure out the pattern and then can block (and maybe track) to find mafia very quickly. Seems more likely that either:

1) Mafia chooses hitman
2) random mafia gets a PM to be hitman

Seems roles rotate though - the chances of a lack of repeat so far seem like they would be pretty slim.

Well, this isn't an ordinary game and there turned out to be a recruitment mechanism, as well. I didn't think about it very hard but I supposed the mafia had a chance at 2 kills in a night, as well, since we seem to have a rotating doc role (not easily dispatched by NK) to balance things out.

Like I said I'm under the assumption of 1 of each character as mafia, with a 5th as Jerry or something (yes I know jerry is harry), so balance-wise it didn't seem crazy. I've never made a game, though, and don't have the big picture. The main reason I thought there were 2 attempts at a kill is because that's exactly what the story says. (When you don't take into account that Beth kills by attempted suicide apparently).

---

May be thats its an easy assumption that there are 4 different characters as mafia, but I remember this from the start of the game

posted by Sathoris
A free round of advice to all participants; I cannot stress enough how everything, except the individual actions of the mafia and town, have been generated randomly. Do not develop theories and suspicions on patterns. Do not try and outguess the mod.

I know I suggested the jerry theory earlier, but isn't the Sphere what is causing the things that happen, it seems to me, its the Sphere that manifests the fears I think. Don't know quite where i'm going with this, was just a thought I had. Maybe something to do with the unbalance of the roles.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High