Y.A.W.P's Warcraft Themed Pen 'n Paper RPG style Mafia Game Game Thread

Re: Y.A.W.P's Warcraft Themed Pen 'n Paper RPG style Mafia Game Game Thread

I've never heard of a game ending upon lynch of the village idiot unless that also triggers a mafia win at the same time. I wouldn't even consider such an idea seriously.

[YOUTUBE]PcWyfki50iA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]n3Q8bINOPV8[/YOUTUBE]

A comment on the Village idiot scenario: When was the last mafia game around these parts that actually ended when the VI was lynched? 99.9% of games continue on...the possibility of a VI in game does not make me shy away from a vote.

Since it appears that posting nothing but gibberish seems to be the norm:

Unvote: Gorny

Vote: Nolecub

Maybe we can actually lynch somebody....anybody today.

i like this idea.

Vote: Nolecub

hey, we need to sacrifice someone and you volunteered yourself. :)

How can we have bad lynches if we don't even have lynches?

this is like trying to say there is a difference between bad murder and good murder. all murder is bad and in the case of forum mafia, lynching is good. we get info.

I've never heard of a game ending upon lynch of the village idiot unless that also triggers a mafia win at the same time. I wouldn't even consider such an idea seriously.

no, the gfames usually do not end that way. VI takes the win for themselves, game keeps going. whichever faction, Town or Mafia, wins the VI takes part in the victory....

iirc, that is. lately, my memory has been worse than that woman in The Notebook. SPOILER ALERT!!! but you are male... i doubt sitting thru a chick flick voluntarily is y'all's thing. "OOH! The Notebook! I TOTALLY want to see that because i enjoy crying!"

/sarcasm

seriously, most chick flicks are either depressing, a big ol' cry-fest, or REALLY *** and corny. SOME i DO appreciate. some i do not. The Notebook... eh, i guess i can recommend it, but i'd rather watch something funnier or better, ya know? idk what it is about sappy movies. they annoy the absolute hell out of me.

[/OT]

Townie confirmantions: Be especially wary of any townie reads from night investigations. With recruitment hanging out there, easy mafia target to recruit a confirmed townie.

^ This. I believe, based on the wording he has used, that Goryani at least started out as pro-town, but with recruitment around, that can change at any time. Don't get blinded by your early reads.

Reality check: If we wait to vote until AFTER someone claims, no one will ever get lynched. The mafia will win almost every game (except last game).

After many mislynches of unclaimed townies, including power roles, I can say with conviction that I would always prefer to hear a claim and make an informed decision whether to trust it. Our games are so fast that this is not always possible, I do grant you that.

I voiced no such idea, and I don't believe Ankeli did either. I'm using common RPG and WoW terminology to describe players.

That was how I read it though, but apparently I was wrong. Having never played WoW I did not know they were standard terminology, and so I probably attached too much importance to what you and Ankeli said. I found those terms in a wiki, so I know better now. However...

Imagine 4 players have the following stats:
Player A - 2/2/2
Player B - 4/1/1
Player C - 1/4/1
Player D - 1/1/4

What would you call each player? I would call Player B a DPS class, Player C a healer, Player D a tank and Player A a sucky noob. It doesn't matter what you CAN do, it matters what you are GOOD at doing.

Fair enough. Now imagine this:

Player E - 6/6/6

I would call that a badass jack-of-all-trades. Remember that YAWP's first post mentions underdogs? I see no reason that the players would be so easily divided into three basic groups. You can be good in two or three stats, perhaps better than someone specializing in one stat only.

Do you feel the town's power roles should reveal their information, and themselves, before the town lynches anyone?

If the power role in question is being lynched, of course. If not, then they should not.

Besides, I was not only referring to information from power roles. The more people post, the more material you have to base an opinion on. Trends such as lurking become visible. On a first day, there is barely any information to support informed decision making. Part of the information why I did not vote Ankeli was apparently flawed, but I still believe the case on him was quite random.

Is this a legit list or fake one? According to this list, you think there is 1 scum, 2 mysterious/lurker (neutral to scummy?), 1-2 neutral and everyone else is townie. I'll state here and now, in unequivocal terms, that those ratios are WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY off. That means many of your guesses are wrong.

There are two kinds of fake lists, and I would not admit to either one. If I was town and wanted to keep part of my information or theories secret, I would continue to do so for the good of the town. If I was mafia, I would still provide mostly genuine reads. This is what I in fact did last game while talking to YAWP during one night.

You really should not pay attention to any ratios in that list. I listed my impressions on every player one by one, and did not pay any attention to how many suspects I would end up with. I do not know how many scum there are, with recruitment the number is quite uncertain anyway. I would not skew my own reads by arbitrarily deciding how many suspects I want, and then trying to find that exact amount. Later perhaps when I have a better idea how many scum are left, but not this early. Information-wise we are still in day one, since there were no deaths.

I fully expect some of my reads to be wrong. What else would you expect this early in game? I am not clairvoyant.

I'll help you correct some. One person you list as town is not town. They started the game as neutral.

You state this as fact, not like theory. That means you know something, and now everyone knows you do. Share?

The observation may have been trivial, but your reasons for disclosing that detail are not. It's either an important issue or it's a "filler" topic.

Assuming it's an important issue, what is a consequence of being banned: can't send PM's (I think, I don't know personally, but every forum I know of this is the case). Why does that matter? Gee, I don't know -- Maybe it makes it harder to night talk. Another important aspect to nurman being banned is to derail any inactive lynch train before it starts. Again, it's a strong indication of relationship between you and nurman, which justifies my comments.

You are ignoring something I thought was obvious. I noticed nurman was banned, but I did not know how long the ban would last. A longer ban could have rendered him unable to continue in the game at all, due to being unable to post for a day phase. That would have meant a replacement was necessary, and pointing that out was important. The relationship you claim to see between us is an illusion, and I have to wonder about your motives in suggesting it.

I do admit that you trying this on me after I did essentially the same as scum last game seems too daring. However, I also feel you are being unusually confrontational.

If it's a filler topic, then it's much the same as your "list." It's a way to talk about the game without really talking about the game. Actively lurking. A way to appear pro-town without having to actually act pro-town.

If you're going to call my list of reads filler, I'd like to hear why you think that. And I would like to know what the hell would be talking about the game, if not that.

Suspect != scum. A suspect is someone you wish to obtain information from, or to hear others' thoughts about. And I can't help but notice that your list includes information obtained because of my suspect list. You're welcome.

A suspect is someone you suspect of something, in this case of being scum. What exactly do you mean when you say I obtained information thanks to your suspect list? The only part of it I referenced was when I mentioned how I disagreed with your reads, and it is natural that I should question your motives if I think your cases are bad.

When was the last mafia game around these parts that actually ended when the VI was lynched?

I've never seen this here, and it usually happens only in very small or special games. As in one setup I once saw where the town had exactly one lynch for the duration of the game, and they had to catch a single scum.

What is the deal with your self-vote?

I've been looking back and I don't see any personal vendetta from me on Gorny this game. Are you voting on me based on other games, Gorny?

I didn't trust you in the Saw game, where I was admittedly wrong. But I don't trust you this game either and you've been playing the same mysterious character.

Or is it that you are empty in general?

Hmm, that's a possibility.. Let me try it out.

Vote: Gorny

Ahh, no you're wrong. I don't feel emtpy anymore.

Forgot to add. I'm willing to lynch Gorny dispite the chance he's a VI. Unless we come up with a better suspect in 6 hours time I think we need a lynch and Gorny's lynch does tell us something.

For lordaeron

I dont think Gorny is the VI he is just Gorny being Gorny. Headed for disaster again unless something happens soon.

I dont think Gorny is the VI he is just Gorny being Gorny. Headed for disaster again unless something happens soon.

What about Gorny being a tree stump?

If he is, then he has no worries. If he's Pro-town, I don't know why he would let us worry/debate this without saying anything. The best we've gotten was a /happy dance and a /happy happy dance.

Your Average WoW Host might not be able to make the end of the day people, so stop posting unless I forget to end the day for you all.

Not sure exactly what you mean, TC. Are you ending the day now? Is there a set time for the day to end?

There should be just under two hours left until the day ends.

Could we ask you for a vote count TC? I could make an unofficial count, but Trionth had his theory about Gorny being a treestump, and one of his quotes could've been an activation phrase. Whether Gorny's vote counts should reveal if that was true.

Sathoris - 1 (Gorny)
Ankeli - 1 (Bad Ash)
Nolecub - 2 (Nolecub, Leopold Stotch)
Gorny - 2 (Uraj, Sathoris)

Should be accurate. Posting it on the first page also.

There should be just under two hours left until the day ends.

Could we ask you for a vote count TC? I could make an unofficial count, but Trionth had his theory about Gorny being a treestump, and one of his quotes could've been an activation phrase. Whether Gorny's vote counts should reveal if that was true.

An activation phrase?

Maybe I don't understand how a tree stump works.. I thought the role would just be immune to kills (maybe actions like investiagtions too?) It would kinda explain why Gorny hasn't really worried about votes on him, or me trying to figure out what he's doing.

Maybe I'm just too worked up with it, but I just feel that there's something more than "Gorny just being Gorny" :\

The Tree Stump is a pro-town role that has no effects or Night Actions, apart from once per game the Tree Stump may publicly declare themselves as the Tree Stump, after which he can no longer vote or be killed by anybody. The Tree Stump may be killed before his declaration.

Theres the mafiascum wiki thinger for treestump. Now it doesn't seem like it fits because his vote counted. I thought the treestump was always immune, not a temporary thing.

Vote: Gorny

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High