Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum crashes

I have to keep up my spamming duties, I'm hoping for two consecutive years!

We went to the standard places, Raleigh (the state capital), Charlotte (the biggest city in the state), but in the 7th grade we got to go on this big, 3-day (!!) trip to the Outer Banks, which are really cool. That was definitely the best trip, I got to mess around with my friends for three days and blast a kickball off Jockey's Ridge.

I'm back home now, and while it's nice to be home, it is different. It's nice though, but thought my monitor looked weird - very small compared to where I was.

Just posting my well-wishes for everybody affected by the wildfires in Australia.

I hope everyone is alright.

As a former native of San Diego, CA; I understand how bad fires can be. I was there for the fires of 2003, which have been called the largest forest fires in California history. Dude, it was like living in Mordor. For days the sky was gray with ash, and the air smelled like smoke. And my neighbors looked like orcs.

Honestly, I hope all our forum members in Australia are alright.

Luckily, I wasn't near where those fires were, but saw a number of firetrucks all heading towards the same area. It was quite a severe first day when they started, having almost 47 (new record for Melbourne) degrees celcius (~116 Fahrenheit [?]), with very strong hot winds and in a drought at the moment.
Oddly enough, the following two days, where I was, only reached a max of ~middle 20's celcius (68 fahr,) followed by ~10-22 deg celcius (50-71.6 Fahr,) with cooler/weaker winds, so they would've helped slightly.

I'm not sure what visions you're getting, but from what I saw (special extended editions of the news,) in a few places, entire towns were pretty much destroyed. It's pretty sad, and unnerving seeing just how much damage has been caused.

it is actually 116.6 degrees F Dry :p.
I am ok swiller, the bushfires were mainly in outback victoria so I would imagine most of the people on this forum would be ok, but I am sure that some of them have been touched by the fires (particularly those living in melbourne).

@noodle: Jcakes is a crows supporter and he is hoping they might manage to do something this year. Do you follow AFL?

@pman: Are you trying to win the award two years running?Edit: Reads back through it and notices that PMan answered this in his previous post :doh:

Last edited:
If D3 is an iPod, D2 is a Sony Walkman.
Oh dear god I hope not!! The later walkmans could pay CDs, MP3s are worse than
AM radio for quality and the ear buds? *shudder* (Yes I am an audiosnob, when
I want to hear half of the music I'll turn off one speaker.)

@pancake 1st, congrats on spammer of the year!
RE sister: you could always try asking what was so awful. Start with the less
involved and work your way up though (if they don't want to tell you threaten with
asking Mom on Easter. Nothing like the threat of ruining a nice family get together
with "So, Mom why do you hate Sis? pass the potatos would you? what'd she ever do to you?")

I'm all for Family. Just keep in ming being related doesn't make a person okay...

@FE: I had a philospohy class that I always took a 5-10 minute nap in. It was a 2 hour
lecture and I sat smack dab in the middle up front, but I would close my eyes for a few
minutes about 2/3rds of the way though and kinda process everything. I usually came
to with a decent question/insight so the prof stopped giving me evil looks around the 4th
or 5th time.

@Zarf: I thought you guys had even better labor laws than we do, and 12 hours is the min
time between shifts without exceptional cases (one of them Dr's, WTF??) here. Ugg.

*Seconds the wishes/hopes for the Aussie guys* I know some Aussies came up here when
we had our fire season, I hope some of ours are returning the favor.

Well, I know why the feud exists, and it's not pretty. I only heard from one side, of course, but I'm assuming that the horrible things one party said were matched by the other. I'm weighing my options right now, and pondering whether to send my brother, the last to be in contact with her, an email. Still, if word got out, things might not be pretty.
I keep trying to tell myself that she would be a jerk if I did manage to find her, and that it would be a waste of my time, but I know that's just me trying to find a reason to wuss out and not risk anything. So much has happened since the last time we spoke, and I just want to know if she is aware of it.

Ok, so, touchy-feely stuff aside, today was pretty good. I learned that bike + aerodynamic position + hill = really, really fast. I put my head down almost to the handlebar, and my computer told me that got me up to 35 (mph), which is the fastest I've been able to go. For having about 4 decent rides on the bike so far, that's not bad.
And I still don't know how to shift gears :grin:

G'night Bar!

PS: Stay safe, Aussies. Remember, stop, drop, and roll! But seriously, I hope everybody is ok.

@Pman, the gear shifter is where the brakes are, don't know how else to explain it :p
Now all you have to do is learn how to go 35mph on the flat and you might be able to compete :D

I know what shifts the gears, there are these two little knobby things, but I don't know how to operate them. However, it's in a pretty high gear now, and that's how I like to ride, so I'm good for the moment. I will have to figure it out eventually, I guess.

As for going 35 on the flats, I'm working on it! I've logged an average speed of 16 mph, which is basically my average from whenever the wheels were turning enough to register. It's not the fastest speed around, and it will definitely decrease as I keep riding, but it's pretty fast to me.

Dew, please.

Over how long a distance do you average 16mph? Also bare in mind that if you stop at traffic lights etc. your average will decrease drastically. Best way to find out your average is to look at what speed you can keep your computer at while riding constantly. I.e. rather than using the average button thing on your bike computer just watch what speed you are doing on average.

I've never had a racing bike so not really sure how you change the gears. I think you push in to change up and push out to change down (could be completely wrong though). I would suggest you get someone to hold your back tire off the ground and sping the pedals by hand while you try pressing the buttons and see what the gears do.

Dews Pman.

*chugs Dew*

The distance isn't that much, but I don't do much stopping and starting, so I would say I'm averaging a little under 20 when I'm moving, and the drop is from when I'm climbing or off the bike.

Ok, off to bed. Night Bar!

Big thing with the computer, don't do lots of just over half a mile (or mile and a half, 2 1/2, etc.)
the rounding errors can be attrocious.

It's amazing how much hurt people can do to the ones they care about. Funny thing is, if they
didn't care it wouldn't hurt. Is jerky behavior the worst thing you worrry about? or is it indiffernce?

Not to drag it on, but I feel for you, pancake. I'm not that close with my family. Both of my sisters have had feuds with my mother when I was younger for whatever reasons. They've since patched things up. But I grew up not often talking with them, so it's hard for me to simply reach out and try to get close with them. The last few times I've talked with my mother, she's harped on me to get in touch with them, which was super hypocritical of her, but she won't let it go. So I haven't talked with her in months, either...

A better note for everyone. I saw the TV show that I was supposed to be on at the start of this week. And I was on it! ...for about a quarter of a second. Just a panning shot of the restaurant's ourdoor dining area. My roommate, however, got a ton of face time. Good for him! I know why they chose him and his comments over me: there was a better looking pretty-boy they filmed, too, so they didn't need another one. My roommate's a big guy who looks like he enjoys eating a lot, however, and how can you have an eatery be recommended on TV without a heavy-set guy's praise? He was really psyched about it, so it was all good.

And I don't know if Cattleya ever comes around anymore, but I wanted to share this with everyone. Yesterday I was looking at some artwork in a magazine and came across an artist named Catalina Estrada. One of her works was this piece entitled... Cattleya! If I had known the former mod looked anything like this, I probably would have been a little nicer around here... :rolleyes:

Nice find TRM. And always nice to hear about your TV time. Can I get you a double whiskey for your lady troubles? Or have they been resolved currently?

I'm just popping in for a quick beer to relax with the lady and watch a few films, before going to her house and doing the same - haven't seen her in a month for Heaven's sake!

Take care all...

Things with the lady seem to be stable. I think she may have had one too many drinks and it messed with her. The last time I went to her place she was already a half bottle of wine in, and if I hadn't had two glasses myself she probably would have finished it.

I actually had a few beers myself yesterday. It was pretty nice kicking back and leveling a new sorc with a bottle of Stella Artois by my side. I may do the same today! :thumbup:

@ pcake - you'll grow to detest that mobile in a while. Enjoy it while you can. You can *try* training people to use it appropriately "Can you pick up xxxx on the way here, please" rather than wait until you're in the door or not ring you at 2am to say "I'm out of bread" but I never managed it. If you ever do, send tips. :D

Glad to hear that you girlfriend just had a momentary WTF moment, TRM and it was nothing more serious. :thumbsup:

On a humourous note - and you'll need to read a couple of posts to understand the sheer stupidity of the first one - never be this guy.

Tea, please. I have Viscounts. :)

It would seem Monk redeemed itself, sort of. I thought that episode was actually pretty good, even if the mystery was dumb. I just can't believe who they murdered. Not cool.

Oh, and I loved Psych so much I want to marry it and have its babies. Such great stuff.

Dew, please.

*gives pcake man a gender reassignment*

Thanks, Swiller. :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High