OT: SPF Mafia Game

Adzicents hinted once that he might be the cop, and that someone else might be the doctor (noodle?). But he never came out and said it directly, not that I can remember.

I'd definitely play another round of this :cool:

Yes, ofcourse I was the Doc. I actually knew I was going to be targeted the first night.. I remember wording it pretty well to skoolbus, but I seem to have deleted the PM. Maybe he has it. After that I knew I was a goner since you can't protect someone twice in a row.. skool even pointed it out after I saved myself -_- It wasn't just to cover my behind.. I reasoned myself to be the target.

Re-reading the thread:
Day 1.
I saved myself the first night, then tried to draw attention to the people who were most likely to pick me if they were mob and wonder oh wonder it was schmaleop, correctly picked. I knew it was suppose to be one of those and when schmale said something like ''I'm going to hang back'' blammo I knew it was him. It was pretty obvious to me that Noodle was just having some fun, but I can see that others were finding it suspective behavior, so the only thing I missed the first day was a little hint as to who was suppose to be cop. I didn't see it then adzi..
Day 2.
Then day two.. I died. Big shocker there... sigh.. in hindsight skunk did make a strange vote for a townie, but I didn't spot it then so it was fine for him. I was on to adzi then saying ''I'm pretty sure he was innocent''.. then Neksja made a comment about a love triangle and attracted too much attention. I didn't know if he was maffia or not, but I thought people were too soon to pounce since there were still people who hadn't voted yet or discussed. A couple of people acted oddly enough though.. Staal requesting a group lynching, jrla last to change his vote (while no real new comments were made)..
Day 3.
Sitro died that night. That actually came as a shocker to me. Sitro wasn't standing out and if my theorie holded its own this ment that the maffia were indeed older gang who knew Sitro. Adzi was on to Arfu then, seeing the silence (although I admit, I missed it because I was clinging to the ''better known people''). Skunk did make a nice move here voting against the first vote. This was really smart because a) he wasn't the target, b) he steered away from all the mob c) he picked thyiad who had been somewhat active in the voting. Arfu playing it really smart then too, excusing himself, voting against the entire crowd picking Noodle. Then the game really started. I was pleased to see that TouchOfInsanity really put some thought to his voting. And he actually was entirely correct picking out the two remaining mobsters to have voted. He instead didn't pick one of the voters, but one of the silent people (which was too bad, but also understandable). Also skunk made a move I should've seen trough, he went to keep score. It was pretty safe because Thy had too many votes, but it was ''too helpfull''. Amusing to see that Arfu actually took over this job and also ''helped out''. I missed it back then. Jrla missed a really important point when he had really thought about his voting and picked out Adzi (wrong) but didn't reason it (ow..). Adzi finally openly admitted being a cop. He still didn't put it in words, but I guess he still couldn't tell because he hadn't identified a mobster. Too bad Thy messed up by tactical voting which was reason to club her.
Day 4.
The mob killed of Noodle. Again a surprise move. Not surprising because they took down another ''well known'', but surprising because it was pretty obvious that Noodle wasn't the cop. I thought that there were two mafia left now, however who was suppose to be the one that went out I didn't know. I think the mob should've picked a more silent person here, or someone that voted very strongly against Thy so they could point him out next.
Lister took a lead in discussing, which I thoguht was prett good, making him anotehr villager. However the day already started with 4 random votes. Jrla discussed his method looking at the voting.. pretty smart, however the mafia had already outsmarted that plan by misvoting a couple of times. It was good reasoning though. I should've seen trough skunk this day though, he voted the final vote and right after jrla made his comments.
I think Adzi missed his day though, there were 8 people left. 3 of whom could still be mafia. This ment that if they lynched the wrong one and the mob killed someone of that night the population would be 50:50 with town:mafia. He already knew ofcourse that Schmale was a mafia, but the others didn't. I think if I was a cop I would've stepped forward here. You're sure to die the same night because now everyone knows you're a cop, but you can illuminate so much of the (passed) game. Everyone will know that there have been 2 mafia from the start, know who are not mafia and people can look back to see how others voted. It would've been an interesting plot turn to say the least.
Day 5.
As it was now Adzi got lynched within 3 hours and I voice also the oppinion that a day should be made longer. How about a forced post from everyone still in the game. Or at least when someone reaches enough votes to be lynched a chance to defend himself. IMO this is where the game took the final turn and even though I didn't know how many mob there was left I knew this was too fast and that they would win.
Day 6
Ofcourse with 4 people left the only way townsfolk would win is if there's only one mafia left and the 3 villagers are lucky to knock him off. As there were still 2 mafia left the game was played. Skunk didn't even need to make his somewhat persuasive comment blaming someone else, just steer away from himself. It would actually be highly amusing if there would've been a 2v2. However the mob could just kill one of their own for the greater good and finish of the villagers next (one at night, one at dawn).

All in all a nicely played game. It was amusing to have a fun aspect (noodle.. seriously..), aswell as seeing people reasoning and playing or voting very sneaky. Thanks for skool for hosting it and if there's a round two I'd be happy to play. :smiley:

Sint Nikolaas,

awesome post, pretty much sums the whole game. Even though I was lynched pretty early, I really enjoyed watching the rest of the game. I propably made some dumb posts to attract too much attention, but I was so sure, that Thyiad was mob :sad: sorry for that, you just look so sneaky :grin:

of course, big :thumbsup: for skoolbus for hosting this event, maybe someone else should host next one, so skoolbus could also be happy to join? For suggestion, what if someone on the winning side, hosts next game? So Arfurala or skunkbelly should host next? or if skoolbus really enjoy only hosting, he can do it every time. Also about day time, maybe we should have some time limit when we could vote for lynching? Like first we would have to discuss for example 24h and after that we'd have 24h to vote, anyone with me?

happy to play again,
Neksja

The game was quite entertaining indeed. I found it helpful to carefully plot out my strategy well in advance, utilizing The Art of War by Sun Tzu, Macchiavelli's The Prince, and Mad magazine. Kudoes to Skoolbus for facilitating. I would happily play again.

- Noodle

5. No edits
6. Maybe I am the cop. Maybe he is the Doctor.

At this point of the game, this is a far stretch to believe that he really is the cop.

skunkbelly said:
A hail of bullets and a pair of cement shoes... I'm having trouble seeing the "accident."

Shoulda seen through this one...:duh:

I would be happy to host the next round, but skoolbus is the boss... if he'd like a break, I'll host. If not, it's still his baby.

Sint, great summary.

I for one would be happy to read another mafia game - terrific fun for the peanut gallery! :thumbsup:

I was following along occasionally and only got one role right. Thought mafia was skunkbelly, jrlafrance, and maybe Noodle. Congrats on pulling off the win after the early loss of a mafia member.

I'd also be up for a round if you get it going in the next day or two.

I'd be more than happy for round 2- I guess i need to be a little less mob handed next time........

Happy to die again.

Thanks a lot for all the posts everyone, I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Big congratulations to Schamleop, Arfurala, and skunkbelly for winning. Some comments on the players that I wanted to make, but couldn't, in random order.

Noodle - acted crazily (and funny), can't believe the mafia bothered murdering him. To me, at least, it seemed that no one could really count on much of what you posted, it all seemed random and even if you did correctly accuse a mafia member, it would have been easy to say you were crazy.

inSTAALed - was the shepard and the rest of you were the flock (though there was no reason for Arfurala and skunkbelly not to follow). He didn't even get a vote until he pointed this out. I was suprised the mafia didn't murder him that night.

skunkbelly - I nearly got you lynched when I pointed out you didn't post the first day, apologies, though you played a really good game afterwards (also I was kidding about being mad at you).

adzicents - don't know if Schmaleop would have been lynched day one or not if you hadn't known he was mafia. I agree with Sint though, at some point, you do need to confess you're the cop and tell everyone what you do know in order to help the rest of the townsfolk. Also, I think you should have investigated the quiet people, they generally tend to be mafia, because they do "sit back for now and observe what people have to say". Cannot comprehend how the mafia did not pick up that you were the cop earlier and killed you on night three at the latest.

Sint - really just unlucky, also VERY unfortunate for the town that you were the doctor and you got killed night two. I believe everyone should have known you were and could have acted accordingly however. Almost all the time the doctor picks themselves first, makes the most sense.

SiTro - thought you played pretty well during your brief life, apparently the mafia did too.

Thyiad, jrlafrance, Neskja - you all seemed to screw each other over by your accusing one another and then defending yourself. It's generally not a good idea to go at somebody unless you, in fact, do know they are mafia (granted it's difficult to know that for certain, and you might have thought that Thyiad was certainly mafia at the time) and being too defensive isn't good either.

Touch - I thought you had some extremely well reasoned posts, but nobody else seemed to pay them much attention

Arfurala - I thought you did an extremely good job at hiding the fact that you were a mafia, only chance of getting you lynched was if adzicents investigated you.

Schmaleop - sucked to be you, but someone always has to be the first to go... It seemed that your avatar really screwed you over, though how anyone would think that made you mafia I will never know. Also bad because adzicents randomly picked someone to investigate, and it was you.

TheBhoy - not entirely sure what you were doing a lot of the time. You always seemed in a hurry to vote someone out, but you also seemed to follow the pack in these votes.

Sir Lister - pointed out to everyone that adzicents was the cop, but I don't think anyone noticed. Thought you played pretty well.

Some other things that suprised me. The fact that Schmaleop was so definitively and quickly lynched on day one. If it were me voting for someone to get lynched on day one, I would want a big discussion first to try and guess everyone's roll. I wouldn't have wanted to lynch someone for a few days. The first few lynchings generally take a long time to get enough votes but it gets significantly shorter as the game goes on. While voting out mafia is nice, randomly voting for someone could be disastrous if they end up to be the doctor or cop. I feel it's just as important to make sure you're not voting out the doctor as if you were voting out a mafia. Also amazed that the mafia did win. I thought for sure it would be four or five days before you guys got them all.
I don't believe any non mafia member ever gave a vote tally (excusing me), should have been very suspicious as it shows how in a hurry they are to vote someone out. The mafia did extremely well after day one, it didn't look like anyone suspected them at all.

Sint: I don't have any of our pm's, sorry, but he was quite positive the mafia were out to get him from minute one.

I like the idea of having 24 hours of discussion, then voting time, but I don't feel that voting time should be regulated in any way. If everyone comes out and votes for you in a hurry, there's probably a reason they're all voting for you (although adzicents case was very extreme, seemed like inSTAALed herded you all to that, and you could probably have saved yourself by revealing you were the cop. However, everyone should have taken the fact that you could get entirely blindsided into account and had a plan before that happened). I don't think that you should be able to change who gets lynched after they get enough votes, thats a pretty solid part of the game.
In case anyone is wondering, I assigned all the roles 'randomly'. I put all the names in a column in excel, and all the roles in another, then used the RAND()*100 to give everyone a number. The three lowest were the mafia, next was the cop, next was the doctor. I never could get it to work and the numbers changed a million times, so eventually I took a picture and used that, so I wouldn't get any changing numbers. If anyone knows how to get the numbers to not change, I'd love to hear it.

People to play in round 2
jrlafrance
skunkbelly
Sint Nikolaas
Neskja
Noodle
Brak
Sir Lister of Smeg
TheBhoy
Thyiad
skoolbus

I did introduce this game here in the hopes that someone would take over and I would be able to play. If you would like to skunkbelly, go for it. You're good at hosting tournaments and I know you'd do well hosting this as well. Here is also a brief summary of the game, should clear some stuff up.

night one
adzicents investigated Schmaleop
sint saved sint
mafia murdered sint

day one
schmaleop was lynched

night two
adzicents investigated noodle
sint saved noodle
mafia murdered sint

day two
neskja was lynched

night three
adzicents investigated touchofinsanity
sint was dead
mafia killed sitro

day three
thyiad was lynched

night four
adzicents investigated jrla
sint was dead
mafia killed noodle

day four
thebhoy was lynched

night five
adzicents investigated instaaled
sint was dead
mafia killed sir lister

day five
adzicents lynched

night six
adzicents was dead
sint was dead
mafia killed jrla

day six
touchofinsanity lynched
instaaled lynched

If anyone knows how to get the numbers to not change, I'd love to hear it.

Select column of numbers you don't want to change. Right mouse button copy. Select the same or another column, right mouse button paste special, select values, click ok.

That should do it i think.

I'll be happy to clean out my PM box so I can participate.

Thanks for the rundown, makes a lot more sense now.

Bah I kinda thought adzicents was the cop after he accused me of being fishy after only the second post. It couldn't be down to first to post is fishy as thebhoy would of been candidate for that. Ofcourse i got lynched before i could discuss it with my associates.

Salute to the mafia too, they got you jamooks :p

Well it was interesting however brief my game was :jig:

Nice summaries Sint and skoolbus.

I'd be happy to join the second round (I promise I'll stick to rules and won't ruin it anymore :innocent:).

As for assigning roles I'd suggest working it out by hand (like using a deck of cards) rather than on excel.

@ skoolbus: In order for the number not to change after you have the cell number highlighted press f4. Then if you press f4 again it goes through the other option. ( 1) Remain on that cell, 2) keep the same row only, 3) keep the same column only, 4) keep nothing.) You can also do it manualy by putting a number sign ($) in front of each the thing you want to stay constant. Ie; $a$1, a$1, $a1, a1.

I'd be happy to join in as a player or as something else if you need fresh blood or a helping hand. Of course, if all you folks want a straight rematch, that's cool too.

Jaedhann, tried all sorts of copy and paste stuff, but it always kept changing.

@ skoolbus: In order for the number not to change after you have the cell number highlighted press f4. Then if you press f4 again it goes through the other option. ( 1) Remain on that cell, 2) keep the same row only, 3) keep the same column only, 4) keep nothing.) You can also do it manualy by putting a number sign ($) in front of each the thing you want to stay constant. Ie; $a$1, a$1, $a1, a1.

Ahhhh, I knew there was something to do that, couldn't figure out what it was though, thanks. Also, I don't know if anybody took it this way, but my comments in my last post were just my personal thoughts or views on how you guys played, don't mean to offend anybody.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High