OT: SPF Mafia Game

skoolbus1

Dec 31, 2004
OT: SPF Mafia Game

In the peaceful Sicilian village of Salem, a dark presence is about to make itself known. For years, the family based crime organization known as the Mafia has been establishing itself in the foundation of the community. Until now, the naive citizens have been unaware of the evil among them. Tonight, however, the Mafia makes its move. Tonight, someone will die, and until the Mafia has eliminated all opposition, the innocent will continue to die. Unless, of course, the Mafia is destroyed first...

I'm sure some of you have heard of the game called 'Mafia' and some of you have played it before (either in real life or online). Mafia is a very simple and fun game full of backstabbing and betrayal. The objective of the game is simple: if you're a member of the mafia, get all of the townies killed, if you're a townie, get all of the mafia killed.

Requirements-
I put this first, because I feel it is imperative for the game to function and therefore allow everyone to have the most fun possible. There are a limited number of slots available. If you have the time to play, simply post here saying you want to play, the first 12 people to sign up, get to play. The time commitment: you WILL have to be active in this thread and you WILL have to be able post at least once every 24 hours. If you cannot meet this requirement for whatever reason, I ask that you do not sign up (as you will be taking the space of someone who could put the appropriate amount of time into this). This game should not take more than ~5 minutes of your time each day (much less than we spend on d2 anyway). You must have space in your PM box, to begin with you'll just need ~2. You must be able to lose graciously, this game is not fair and if you're a sore loser, I ask you do not sign up. Don't get me confused, it might not be fair, but it is fun.

Gameplay-
Once we have 12 participants, I will randomly assign everyone a role and PM each of you you're roll in the game. DO NOT tell anybody (your wife, Hrus, your dog, anyone) your roll, ever, even after you're dead. You will either be in the mafia, or a townsfolk. The game has two phases, day and night. During the night, the mafia will pick one person to murder. They will pm the person to the moderator, me, I'll post it in the thread and the day phase will begin. During the day phase, everyone votes for one person to be lynched. If you're a townsfolk, you're trying to get the mafia lynched, if you're the mafia, you don't want to be lynched. Once someone recieves a majority of votes, they will be lynched by the town and are dead. I'll then reveal whether they were a mafia member or not. This ends the current day, and begins another night phase.

Roles-
Townsfolk- Have no special abilities, your job is to vote during the day for someone to be lynched. There will be seven townies.
Doctor- A townsfolk with a special ability. Once during every night, pm me the name of someone alive. If the mafia planned on murdering the person you pm me, then you can keep them alive. You cannot name yourself, nor save anyone from being lynched. There will only be one doctor.
Cop- A townsfolk with a special ability. Once during every night, pm me the name of someone alive. I will pm you and reveal that persons role. During the day, you may wish to reveal you are the cop in order to persuade others to lynch a mafia member, though this will certainly make you the next target of the mafia. There will only be one cop.
Mafia- During each night, they conspire to murder one person. During the day, they vote and act normal so as not to arose suspicion. There will be three mafia members.

Timeline-
Once we have 12 people signed up, I'll go ahead and announce when the first night will be, most likely within a day or two. The game will start with a night, and a murder by the mafia. Yes this means someone will die before they even get a chance to play, I'm sorry. Once I get the mafia's decision and a pm from the doctor and cop, I'll post who's dead and signal the beginning of the next day. The day will last for 48 hours after I post. This gives everyone in different timezones ample time for discussion and to cast their vote. During the day, do not pm anyone, unless it is to me. All conversation during the day must be public and posted in the thread. Once the day is up, I'll post, and the mafia will go to work. Night will last until the doctor, cop, and mafia pm me (if someone doesn't within 48 hours, then they lose their ability and it will be daytime regardless).

Rules-
1. Do not post anything at night! Doesn't matter who you are, if you have to do business during night, use pm's. If you have a question about the rules, pm me. Townsfolk are NOT to communicate between themselves during the night.
2. Do not post anything game related once you are dead, even "I think it was so and so" you're dead, deal with it.
3. Votes and unvotes for the lynching need to be in bold, ex. vote: skoolbus or unvote, vote: Baal. Use an unvote to change who you vote to be lynched and switch to someone else.
4. Read this thread, post questions now, not after the game starts. In your signup post, include the word 'happy' somewhere so I know you actually read this.
5. Never post anything in the thread that shouldn't be known to the town. Do not start flame wars in the thread. If you have a problem with someone or something, pm me. If you have a problem with a decision I make, pm me.
6. Do not post any information sent to you in a pm. If you're a townsfolk, the only person you should be pm'ing (no private aim or msn conversations between each other) is me. Mafia can pm between themselves (or talk on msn or aim) only during the night.
7. Read the rules once more. Have Fun!!

I hope I didn't leave anything out. Sign up and we'll get the fun started as soon as possible!

I would be happy to play. Unfortunately, given that I'll be away for four days this weekend, I think I would not be able to contribute to the game.

I'll have to watch intently though, looks like fun.

What a neat little game. If I weren't going to the cape this weekend, I'd definitely sign up. Oh well, here's hoping this is popular and there's a round two because I think this would be rather enjoyable.

It seems fun. I would sign up.

But one question. Can I drop the chance of voting if I am really unsure which person should be lynched? Or that I must vote no matter what?

'happy'

Edit: NM reread.

It does look like fun, but I'll have to play along without participating. Good idea, and GL.

I was reading quickly. :hide: Too quickly.

Last edited:
I've played this game quite a few times in real life. I'm in.

Happy.

How many people have a wife called Hrus anyway... :grin:

edit: Arf, you can discuss who to vote on in this thread during the day. That way people can ''convince'' other to vote on someone, make pacts, reveal they're the cop, work together as mafia etc.
I really enjoy playing it in real life because everyone has to sit with their hands over their faces during the night and everything goes by raising hands, so you can actually bluff or suspect someone because you heard them move. Also you can look at people and see if they're trying to steer the voting towards someone, people using non-verbal signs to work together (during the day) etc.

I'd be happy to participate but i'm not 100% sure i understand the game?
The mafia have to work together but initially they have no idea who the other members are. Is this correct?

Also a day lasts 48 hours, is it 24 hourse for a night phase/24 for a day phase or is it random over the 48 hours?

Well it's not in my nature to try and kill people (see my PvP scores) but I'll go for it.

Happy happy happy. :smiley:

Seems very interesting, though I'll not join this time and hope for a 2nd round. A question though...

Let's say the police reveals himself and gets a mafia member lynched. Obviously, he's going to be the next target of mafia... BUT... the Doctor knows who the police is, so he can protect him until the mafia randomly kills the doctor first, which could make things a bit complicated. Maybe it works OK though...

Also, can anyone bluff? Like say they're the police, or make others think that they're mafia members when in fact they're not?

Also, can anyone bluff? Like say they're the police, or make others think that they're mafia members when in fact they're not?

Yeah. I don't know how it'll look online but normally this is really amusing.
Person A: Okay guy, I'm going to make a stand. I'm the police and I know Person F is a Maffia, he's been bugging me enough now.
Person B: Uhm.. what? I'm the police... I checked person F earlier on and he wasn't Maffia. Which means YOU (A) must be Maffia.

Note that they both easily could be lying. Either person A is a maffia trying to get people on his side and take out a citizen at all costs (if they find out person F isn't maffia it's obvious A lied), or person A is a citizen who thinks F really is maffia but doesn't have enough evidence yet so he'll just say he's a cop. Notifying both the doctor and the real cop that something is up.
Person B has the same story, either he could be maffia protecting his fellow maffia making the ultimate bluff, or he's a citizen suspecting person A is the maffia and just bluffing his way trough because he doesn't suspect F.

Either one of them could be telling the truth too... :rolleyes:

We used to play this game in my swedish classes in 7th grade :laugh: It's funny.

I won't make the commitment yet, but if you for some reason have troubles to fill the spaces, I'd be happy to fill the gaps as a last resort :hide:

I've run this game for very large groups before. If I may make a couple suggestions?

Firstly, the mafia should be no more than 1 in 5/6 people... otherwise they basically win guaranteed. This will especially be true since we're doing it via the forum, and the "citizens" won't have any of the normal live game clues to go by (noises people make during the night, people's reactions to the death story, people being quieter/louder than usual, people being overly talkative or overly accusatory, etc...). I would almost say that in this medium 1 in 8 would even be a better way to give the "citizens" even a slim chance to win.

Secondly, as I've moderated this game live many times, one of the things people really like about this game is the death stories. The narrator in the morning tells everyone the gruesome or creative or simple way the mafia (tried?) to kill someone.

Thirdly, we always allow the doctor to save themselves 3 times during the game (attempt to save themselves, not 3 actual saves). I mean, if you think about it, a doctor would have the best chance of saving his own life if the mafia attacked him.

Fourthly, we never reveal if the person the citizens hang is mafia or not. This keeps a lot of suspense on the side of the townsfolk until the narrator does a "Good night everybody" immediately followed by a "Good morning everybody" that signals a citizens victory.

Fifthly, we never allow the doctor or sheriff to reveal their role. They can say anything creative that would hint at their role, but they can't come right out and say it.

Sixthly, for larger games we have a few more special "roles" ...

Little Girl - This one doesn't apply for this method of playing, but if you play live you might like to use this one. The Little Girl has "Nightmares" and can have her eyes open when the mafia are awake. She can't say anything or make any motions so if the mafia see her with her eyes open, they obviously kill her.

FBI Agent - At the start of each night, even before the mafia wake up, the FBI agent selects somebody to "interrogate" and that person is completely removed from the game for the entire round, no matter their role. They have to stay "asleep" throughout, and cannot be killed, investigated (By the sheriff) or in any other way interacted with for the round.

Cupid - At the very start of the game, cupid selects two people. They are a "couple" and share each other's fate for the entire game. They both will know they are a couple, but may not reveal this to anyone else. One or both of them may have another "role" as well. If one is killed in any way, the other commits suicide out of grief and is also removed from the game.

That's just a taste of a few ways we add depth to the game when we have 30+ people playing.

Also, we always have 2 special roles within the mafia:

Godfather - Top boss of the mafia, has final say on who dies. His choice is final, and he can if he chooses kill one of his own.

Mob Boss - Normal mafia unless the Godfather dies, then he steps up

And also, we allow all the mafia to mutiny against their leader. If all mafia unanimously vote to kill their godfather, that happens.

Anyway... great game, hope my post helps :)

Hello!
A fun idea, indeed.
Perhaps some side wagering on how long the game will last?
Please sign me up.
Yours, Noodle

Im in, money on me dying first with my luck - have you seen my MFO?

I take it the mafia know each other and can PM during night but can ONLY post here as normal townies?

Sounds like fun

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High