WW Ghost Assassin Guide V2.0

Well if he can have hammers landing on top of him consistently then it could work, but if he makes a short charge and throws hammers that end up behind him, lining up a nicely angled whirl doesn't seem like it'd be very hard.

Well if he can have hammers landing on top of him consistently then it could work, but if he makes a short charge and throws hammers that end up behind him, lining up a nicely angled whirl doesn't seem like it'd be very hard.
even if he does short charges, i still noticed that when i nl tele, i don't land on him. it doesn't really matter how far desynced the paladin is away; as long as i whirl in the right direction, i should still be able to hit, even if the paladin is nowhere to be seen the moment i land on him. stun is a great way to counter deysnc though :thumbsup:.

i don't really care how much the paladin is desynced though. all i'm worried about is making sure that i have a wof supplementing my mb stun to cover for me the moment i teleport and start whirling, or that i cast my teleport when the paladin is charging. its just all about making sure that the paladin isn't casting hammer the moment you teleport; if you can do that, you should never get hit as long as you whirl and get out in time.

Finding a perm valk on the realms is not easy either. Remember, on d2pk its just a unique, on the realms perm valks are not especially common.

In terms of Dflight in sin v sin, I gotta agree with dave. There's two reasons for this. One, like he said, tele-ww is faster and less risky. You don't need mb spam for a tele-ww. The other mostly applies to ghost vs. hybrid or hybrid vs. hybrid. One of the most important tricks for going offensive vs. a hybrid is shadow use. If you have an immune or tanky shadow (which you are likely to get), you can "place" her with a teleport when you tele in to WW. Instead of just picking up a namelock and teleporting on top with WW (don't mb or they'll see it coming), you teleport near them (not on them, you usually have to aim via the map because they'll be off screen) and WW. The reason for this is that hybrids dueling defensively tend to place their traps slightly in front of themselves, facing towards the opponent. When you land on the traps and WW out of them, your minion stacked shadow will be left behind directly in the traps and you will move out of them at a different angle. Since LS shoots in a straight line, the traps will often miss you completely, meaning you'll either get a clean hit or trade whirlwinds with them. If you're a Ghost vs. Hybrid, trading WWs is how you win the duel, yours are just stronger.

This trick works less well against hybrids who make a trap field than those who keep their traps close together. Also, once you've done the trick a few times they may get smart and start trapping behind themselves, which will really hurt you if you try this. Just keep that in mind :)

This is some very good advice. I havent really though about that yet, although I sometimes ww people that are offscreen without namelock.
Thanks for this, I'll test that in duels.

@PH: I find ph really good. I don't think that I'm a bad or slow namelocker, but against fast casters that teleport in zigzacs PH makes things just a lot easier.

And on a sidenote: PH is also a great finisher because it autoaims. It does less damage than MB, so you gotta be sure that your opponent is very, very low on life, though.

A special occasion that should be mentioned at this place is PH against necros that use bone armor [means all necros ^_^]. BA sorbs physical damage and mindblast is 100% physical damage, which means that you cannot finish a 1life necro with mindblast (assuming he keeps BA upright).
But PH is split into physical damage and MAGIC damage, which goes through bone armor, so you can kill 1life necros easily with PH. This can be really handy to finish them off when they bled to 1 life.

This is some very good advice. I havent really though about that yet, although I sometimes ww people that are offscreen without namelock.
Thanks for this, I'll test that in duels.

@PH: I find ph really good. I don't think that I'm a bad or slow namelocker, but against fast casters that teleport in zigzacs PH makes things just a lot easier.

And on a sidenote: PH is also a great finisher because it autoaims. It does less damage than MB, so you gotta be sure that your opponent is very, very low on life, though.

A special occasion that should be mentioned at this place is PH against necros that use bone armor [means all necros ^_^]. BA sorbs physical damage and mindblast is 100% physical damage, which means that you cannot finish a 1life necro with mindblast (assuming he keeps BA upright).
But PH is split into physical damage and MAGIC damage, which goes through bone armor, so you can kill 1life necros easily with PH. This can be really handy to finish them off when they bled to 1 life.
PH is definitely a good finisher for necros, but the damage is so low that you don't have much time to land a hit with it before the nec replens enough life for PH not to slay them.

my problem with PH is that when people use it as a crutch for namelocking, PH has the chance to target one of the minions, and before you notice it, the enemy will have 1-2 uncontested casts. if you use MB, the aoe will usually catch them, even if you don't get the nl right away. in addition, when you use PH to get the initial stun, thats an extra 1-2 casts before you tele whirl. when i play against casters, i usually only need to mb 1-2 times before i can tele right in and start the whirling sequence. if i were to use PH, it would require at least one extra cast while i transfered to MB for the swirly before i could tele whirl, leaving me open to those homing missles just a little bit longer.

and i think most importantly, is that when you are aggressive on a ghost, the first cast you make when you make contact with the opponent is a trap, not MB or PH. if you start with MB and then try and keep them stunned while you cast a trap, you'll never catch them. just use the first trap cast as a cushion for you to get your NL as soon as you switch to mb, since the wof doesn't have to be NL'd to be effective.

i definitely experimented with PH as part of a stunning combination with MB and as a finisher for necros, but i arrived at the conclusion that if you know how to use MB/traps/whirls/melee attacks well, you'll duel much better without PH. maybe thats just me. i'm not sure. :shocked:

Last edited:
I'll disagree with ya TienJe :p

Personally I love ph. I dont see it as much as a crutch for namelocking, since I can namelock fine with mindblast all the time if I wanted to. One of the advantages of ph is it doesnt cast unless it has a target. This means if you can predict where a caster will land on your screen, you can move your mouse there ahead of time, switch to ph, hold down mouse2. Soon as the caster teles within range of your ph, your character will cast right away. Although you can spam mindblast by predicting where your opponent will land, the advantage of using ph is it starts to cast as soon as your opponent teles on your screen, before their cooldown cast animation finishes, even with perfect timing with mindblast, you can lose a few frames time if you tried to do the same with mindblasting someone when they tele under your mouse. This onetime kb 7 frames (@ 65 cast) after your opponent's activeframe from their tele, which is sure to kick in before whatever spell they wanted to followup their tele with, so imo it's more safe to use ph for a defensive technique like this than mindblast.

Also about casting ph through summons, not sure what it is about ph, but I always seem to hit necros or whatever character through them. Ive killed some druids through 5 wolves summoned when they had 1 hp offscreen. I dont know how to explain this except to "feel out" how to aim ph through summons. It can be done. Im fairly comfortable hitting necros offscreen through golem stack.

Of course you can duel fine with just mindblast, but having the understanding of how to use ph is always a great trick to have up your sleve, as long as you dont mind the extra hotkey. That and it's fun to phpk people offscreen. :p

I'll disagree with ya TienJe :p

Personally I love ph. I dont see it as much as a crutch for namelocking, since I can namelock fine with mindblast all the time if I wanted to. One of the advantages of ph is it doesnt cast unless it has a target. This means if you can predict where a caster will land on your screen, you can move your mouse there ahead of time, switch to ph, hold down mouse2. Soon as the caster teles within range of your ph, your character will cast right away. Although you can spam mindblast by predicting where your opponent will land, the advantage of using ph is it starts to cast as soon as your opponent teles on your screen, before their cooldown cast animation finishes, even with perfect timing with mindblast, you can lose a few frames time if you tried to do the same with mindblasting someone when they tele under your mouse. This onetime kb 7 frames (@ 65 cast) after your opponent's activeframe from their tele, which is sure to kick in before whatever spell they wanted to followup their tele with, so imo it's more safe to use ph for a defensive technique like this than mindblast.

Also about casting ph through summons, not sure what it is about ph, but I always seem to hit necros or whatever character through them. Ive killed some druids through 5 wolves summoned when they had 1 hp offscreen. I dont know how to explain this except to "feel out" how to aim ph through summons. It can be done. Im fairly comfortable hitting necros offscreen through golem stack.

Of course you can duel fine with just mindblast, but having the understanding of how to use ph is always a great trick to have up your sleve, as long as you dont mind the extra hotkey. That and it's fun to phpk people offscreen. :p
i guess thats where the difference of styles comes in.

i'm usually always casting something; theres never a time when i wait a tad for the other guy to come on the screen. i know what you mean about the perfect timing, but usually i'm the one jumping on the screen of the other guy, so MB and PH have the same timing for me. but like i said before, i don't think i'd ever use the PH as a combo with MB, because i'm used to using the initial trap as my NL cushion, instead of transfering the stun from PH. there's a definite use for PH as a slaying skill like everyone has been saying, but i haven't really found myself using it, even when it was hotkeyed.

its definitely a useful skill for a trapper, but for a ghost, i'm definitely on the other side of the fence.

ha nice job tienje again :p making you way over to diabloii i can see and sharing the love of the ghost sin haha

Don't worry guys.

I love playing a Ghost. It's so fun. :) I've been playing it for a few days and I'm learning fast. :)

BvC vs Nec
Ghost vs Nec

2 most fun duels ever for me.

If you have a claw fast enough for 9 frame trap laying, your WW will be fast enough.
If I understand right:if I have in my primary slot(left)a fury greater talon and in other hand a feral chaos,I have the maximum ww speed?

If I understand right:if I have in my primary slot(left)a fury greater talon and in other hand a feral chaos,I have the maximum ww speed?
the BP's for WW are calculated by taking your WSM and subtracting the IAS for each claw (each claw is independent from the other). 4 frame WW comes when you get a number that is >= -14

if you have a fury GT and a feral chaos, thats -70 and -55, both of which are definitely fast enough to achieve the 4 frame ww speed.

A question to the moderators:

Why did this topic get stickied? It does advocate the banned .08 items (Valk) and dupes (Imp Shank). Isn't that against the rules?

Quite odd, lately the mods haven't cared about the clear advocating of dupes in guides. The last case I remember that got attention was Camden's guide because it had pictures and mentioned the dupes as the only choices.

Seems you don't have problems suggesting dupes

If you have a problem with this guide beeing stickied pm a mod.

Keep the posts on topic.

A question to the moderators:

Why did this topic get stickied? It does advocate the banned .08 items (Valk) and dupes (Imp Shank). Isn't that against the rules?

Quite odd, lately the mods haven't cared about the clear advocating of dupes in guides. The last case I remember that got attention was Camden's guide because it had pictures and mentioned the dupes as the only choices.
i actually advocate not using valk as a helm because it results in an overall ****tier setup. the imp shanks for examples of the best type of boots to get, but nowhere in the guide is a dupe listed as the only option. just like mentioning fine/vita scs, its clear the duped 3/20/20's are the best option, but by no means is it the only solution to the problem.

i'm glad you took the time to read through it, even if it was just to spot check for rule infringements.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High