Wolfbarbs-The ultimate guide (Revised verson)

Re: Wolfbarbs-The ultimate guide (Revised verson)

Sounds great! I would love that.
Im allways up for some wolf duells :D

Hello all, back after a long hiatus. Been reading up on the latest arguement that's been going on here. Came to clear up some of this. Yes I still play and I have been doing nothing but Wolfbarbs since 1.10, and I like to say I think I still know what works and doesn't.

I don't know where people are thinking that weapon speeds are deviating from the actual frames that they are suppose to be, but I can tell you, they're not. Someone asked why I didn't post speeds for Wolfbarbs and that is because I use Wereform Central for all my speeds. That is the website I specifically guided everyone to, and the normal attack chart is the correct chart when figuring Feral's speed.

So now, to explain why it is Feral seems faster when actually hitting a target as opposed to air. I cannot give you the scientific explanation with all it's arithmatic details but what I can and willl tell you is that, this is all animation play. The game registers hits and animations seperatly but tries to play them together to apear as if they're one and the same. Sometimes the animation doesn't pick up with the pace of hits, so it will cut the frame short to begin the next one. This is why it apears faster in many cases than normal. When you swing at air, there's no hits. You just get the animation. That is simply all it is.

I played around with Wolfbarbs and weapons long enough to know what frames weapons swing at. Now I never used the german website for attack speeds regarding wereforms, because I honestly feel it is way off. Wereform central had it right the first time and it still is, just not for Feral Rage directly.

If it's all just animation trickery that would explain the frame-by-frame analysis, but what about the tests based on poison length and mana regen? If that was faulty that would mean that mana use isn't absolutely connected to when you make an attack.

That would be correct. No one can make any conclusions based off the animations being seen. You really have to look at the background mechanics that happen all at once. Diablo 2 has a bunch of seperate instances that go off that act as their own thing which cannot be tied to either the animation or even the hits themselves. Nothing is pin point and exact as it would seem. So alot of time you have this lag factor that will play out differently based on what is being used, thus appearing as if some things are faster or slower.

Perhaps you are playing a different Diablo than the rest of us...

Zombies were made Immune to Physical with 20 life and no damage regeneration, and they were equipped with an item applying 100% Chance to Cast Fire Bolt When Struck (Fire Bolt was made to apply 1 fire damage). A Werewolf Barbarian using Griswold's Redemption Caduceus with 120 weapon IAS was equipped with an item applying 4 poison damage over 4 frames (1 poison damage per frame).

Zombies were attacked continuously with Feral Rage with 95% chance-to-hit, and every time the Barbarian took 5 damage (indicating the Zombie had been struck 5 times) the Zombie survived: if the hits were 4 frames apart server-side, then 5 hits applying 4 poison damage over 4 frames would have applied 20 poison damage over 20 frames in total, killing them every time. This never happened.

When the Zombies were killed after switching to an item applying 1 magic damage, some were only killed after 4 hits, indicating 16 (20-4) frames of poison damage had been applied. This is consistent with 4 hits applying 3 frames of poison damage and the final hit applying 4 frames ((4*3)+4 = 16), which is what's expected if the hits are 3 frames apart server-side (since poison length would be reset with each hit, rather than expiring just before the next hit).

Sometimes the animation doesn't pick up with the pace of hits, so it will cut the frame short to begin the next one. This is why it apears faster in many cases than normal. When you swing at air, there's no hits. You just get the animation. That is simply all it is.

I played around with Wolfbarbs and weapons long enough to know what frames weapons swing at.
Feral Rage also has a four frame attack rate when attacking an actual target unsuccessfully. If your experience is mainly or exclusively duelling other melee attackers with high defence and 75% chance of blocking, then more than 75% of attacks will miss and thus Feral Rage would indeed have a 4 frame attack rate the vast majority of the time.

UPDATE I repeated the test with Normal Attack, and simply kept attacking until the Zombie died: every single time, the Werewolf Barbarian took 5 damage (indicating the Zombie had been struck 5 times) and the Zombie died before a sixth hit, indicating that Normal Attack has a four frame attack rate. When I did the same thing with Feral Rage, the Zombie could be struck up to 7 times before it died.

Apparently you are Zero-unit, the opening poster, based on this post on page 86:

This is Zer0-unit here, using a temporary account until I can retrieve my old one. (Story is a little long.)

A quick search has also indicated you last posted in this topic on 7 August 2009, so welcome back!

Last edited:
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High