What silly missconceptions did you have when you started.

I remember thinking Life Regen was probably a better mod than Life Leech, so I gave my first ever character (a polebarb) lots and lots of it. I didn't use WW - it stunk, or seemed to stink, because I didn't know how to work it.

And to think, I actually got this guy to NM Act 2. Shortly after that I found this site and learned how to play.

My first character was a Sacrifice Paladin (Hmm, nice ED%!), wielding a scythe no less (It looked cool!) Strange though, my health keeps disappearing to fast.

But, the real stupid thing, being ~17 and realizing "hey, you have more then just combat skills?" What are these aura thingys?

I used thorns as my main aura on my first paladin (right after I deleted the godly cleglaws barb), it was pretty funny. made it to chaos sanctuary before I gave up

I had a paladin using thorns and smite. If they are stunned they don't take dmg back :laughing: But at the time I was mp with a nerco in MP, and we thought thorns+lifetap=win... we got to hell atleast :rolleyes:

Oh, and when I started the game I tried to do a potion throwing barb, using find potion... didn't get far with that idea.

I ranked everything in the game by defence, even the weapons. So imagine my suprise when i found a sword with blocking and defence! I had the most uber GG weapon ever.

:shocked:

I also knew that curses effected my party members as well as enemies, and so spent ages specifically cursing only the enemies, as you can imagine I was pretty good at only getting the enemies.

Akara reset the timers on shrines ofc.

Getting through a tp in a public game to the arcane sanct. Involved a matter of probability...

And the character screen was lieing to me, which is true, i was just wrong in the ways it was lieing.

hehe, things i was so sure of as well

My first 3 chars I got to hell without a mercenary. I thought the XP was divided betwen us and didn't wan't him to get any. For the same reason, I never did the bloodraven quest, because eventually I'd accidentally click on *whatshername* and get that bloody rogue merc (and she was pretty hard to get killed :smiley:).

Defense is the most important stat. Resists and blocking? What are those?

The higher the requirement, the better the skill must be! (Go hydra/FO/Thunderstorm sorc)

People on Bnet can be trusted. (thus got scammed out of some flawed gems)

Strafe was just a different version of multishot (as in more damage or something).

My friend showed me the game, so he must know lots about D2! (he wanted to make an IK barb with maxed double swing...)

First character ever... a d2 classic 1.08 (back in the days :azn: ) paladin with sacrifice and prayer... 20 skills each... After level 40, I began to realise there was other skills.. like the one that enhenced damage.. my face was litteraly like that : :shocked:

In fact, when I came back in september this year, after 3 years.. it was a shock to discover all the synergies and uber runeword. I had a good time discovering that hr were the base of the economy, since that I hardly never found one (with lev 90+ back in the days)...

I remember thinking whats up with WW skill? I hit the key I got mapped but had no clue on holding shift key or aiming anywhere but at the guy I got namelocked right in front of me.

Nimbostratus "My friend showed me the game, so he must know lots about D2! (he wanted to make an IK barb with maxed double swing...)"
I laughed so hard I puked!

The worst thing was I was always on the Bandwagon late, Got my Lance WW Baba made - nerf spear WW, got my bugged SOJ and - stats skill in game hax figured out they fixed it, etc etc etc.

Last edited:
thinking that getting every skill was a good thing.

Thinking necromancers were the best wielding a sycthe (well they still look fricking sweet :smiley:)

Going all cold skills on my first sorc and then meeting cold immune zombies in the blood moor for the first time. :duh:

I used to think that Pgems were usless as Runes had the same stats on them as most Gems.

Then i found out about crafting.

I used to Lan it up with my friends back in the day right when LoD came out. We all hoarded runes but couldnt figure out what good they would do. None of us had a clue what a runeword was and we were all too dumb to check the inter web.

Thinking the more defense I had the better. It was absolutely the most important thing in the game, period. If I had to invest 20 points in strength just to be able to equip five more defense it was more than worth it :rolleyes:.

And becuase of this I thought i was indestructible, especially if any of my friends ever challeneged me. That is until my buddies Grizzly absolutely wrecked me.

When I started playing in 1.08 I had many misconceptions.
Me and a friend started playing in a normal game on battle net we managed to get to act 4, a barb joins our game and starts BO-ing us while we are fighting Diablo. Me and my friend get angry with him:
me: "You stupid barb stop warcry, you steal our live and mana!"
Barb: "I am just helping, it increases your life and mana"
me: "No you are not, I have full life and you cry and I have only half life and mana left"
Barb: Noob -saves and exits

It took a while before I discovered it increased your life (back in this patch it increased your maximum life, but your life would stay the same until you healed, or used a potion)

With my first paladin I thought that skill trees worked like this: Sacrife -> zeal, zeal required lvl 12, I need 12 skills in sacrifice before zeal becomes "unlocked"
I thought you had to be very high level to unlock the lvl 30 skills :wink:

It took a long time for me to discover sorceresses could teleport, I thought this was the skill that created the townportals, I was like: "I can buy/find the scrolls why should I invest a point in that?"

In 1.09 I had a fanatic zealot which was my favorite character with Guardian Angel, Vampire gaze and Schaefers and HOZ, I would be able to kill 4 cows, before the javazons and sorcs killed the entire cow lvl...

I wanted to make an elemental druid and traded for skillers with life because they were amazingly cheap (1.09) only to find out he sucked, wanting to trade away the stuff and beeing unsuccesfull, therefore leaving it on some muleaccount. I was very happy with this when the patch came.

Defence was king.
Thorns was good.
Blood golem + iron maiden was godly.
Strength was always good to have.

Mine was:

You had to do all the quests to go through each act. I remember walking through act 2 and 3. :O

putting ~20points of energy into my first ever character; a barb=P
and also not spending any points in any warcry as well..

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High