What silly missconceptions did you have when you started.

Silent Shaddow

May 19, 2006
What silly missconceptions did you have when you started.

????????

I was watching a lvl 45 paladin running normal bloodmoor killing things today with salvation on. Like he needed the res, that what made me remember some of the silly things i thought i knew about how the game worked.

Deadly strike: % chance to kill on hit

Auras radius worked from the maximum radius of anybody being with in the orginal radius, I thought they could chain for long distances.

Holy Shield was an item.

Zeal only hit once, max.

IAS was the most important mod in the game.

Necromancers were born to hold big 2handed swords.

Haha... aside from just throwing a skill point in anything that looked at all interesting, I think my biggest misconception was actually on your list: that deadly strike was basically a chance to kill a regular monster (not a champion, unique, boss, etc.) in one hit.

I also thought that since I had a valkyrie (first character was a bowazon) that I couldn't have a mercenary. :tongue:

That was such a long time ago, though... but I had the fondest memories of the game back then, when I thought the "wealth" runeword was godly, and that Windforce was the absolute best item in the entire game.

lol, I thought the exact same thing about deadly strike, I found cleglaws sword on my first barb and I was thoroughly disappointed because the monsters didn't die as fast as I thought the should

I thought an allround necromancer could do well :p. Which means, spending a skillpoint in all the skills and then just see where things go.

I thought my necromancer using a ceglaw sword and gloves in NM was awesome. I thought my necro KILLING the NM council with that sword was even more awesome (now I realise it's just suicidal). Note that I played normal D2 back then.

I thought golemancer were the toughest summoners around

I thought people collecting Pgems were out of their fricking minds

deadly strike means halving a monsters hp

summon resist would also work on partymembers

I knew a crapload of D2 after 2 months of playing.

===================

thats about it :p. I have been humbled every day ever since XD

I thought gold was the most valuable thing in the game, and I hoarded it like a mofo.

What the above posters have said basically :laugh: My experience with d1 was that pretty much most stats and spells could be maxed eventually so I invested into most skills that looked ok. My first ever d2 char (barb) relied on maxed leap attack among others, it was an SP char, I wonder if I still have him :smiley:

haha...I almost forgot: I thought having a 30% goldfind amulet and 15% goldfind boots made me rich. XD

I remember thinking that Smoke rw (nef+lum) was a long term goal.
I have made a werewolf with maxed werewolf >.< His AR was quite amazing though.

On my first Paladin, I thought conversion was the coolest skill ever. I mean come on, it changes enemies to fight for you! Little did I know it was only for a limited time...I also thought that Holy Bolt would be tight. And threw skill points into every single aura, just to see. Good times...

I also never thought I would get sucked into this game again, and again, and again, and again, and never thought it would take over my life like it does when I start playing again. It's all good though! I still love this game.

my first char: sorc; orb, firewall, bliz, meteor, chainlightning chanter
well, she did nothign but die.

then i made my prayer pala. "if i can survive, then the merc can handle the rest. NO! half a year later: "aha! you can give the merc gear!"

i altso belived that the deadly strike was 1hit ko:p
one of the first times i played (whent the game came out(i dident go online and instal lod for 2 years after i first played)) i belived that everytime i loged out, i had to redo the quests. you wont belive how menny times i ahve killed countress in norm with a single char :p

then i made my prayer pala. "if i can survive, then the merc can handle the rest. NO! half a year later: "aha! you can give the merc gear!"
:laugh:

I confused rares with uniques. I wondered why no-one knew what I was rambling about when I talked about my "Gale Jacket".

Placing points in strength on my skelliemancer, marveling at the increase in damage every fifteen points or something.

Hoarding Jared's Stones for the World Event.

I would get TP PK'd and think that I had to get my body back or my gear was gone. I'd scrounge up backup gear from my inventory only to be killed again, before I knew it, I had 20 corpses, no gear, no money, and no hope of getting all my stuff back!

My first character was a frenzy barb. The idea of warcries sounded silly to me, so I ignored them and he didn't use them at all. He made it until act 2 hell where he got stuck in the arcane sanctum because of the ghosts, even though I gave him socketed weapons with pgems. That was in classic BTW.

I remember he died a lot versus normal Diablo, perhaps 30 times, and when he ran out of gold and TP scrolls, he had to run to Diablo from the waypoint. Once in a while he dealt a little damage before dying again, so he eventually killed him.

My first was a foh pally with bloodrise as my main weapon. It sounded cool and was unique. For a LONG time I didn;t understand why foh didn't kill everything on the whole map, then I realized it does't quite hit multiple enemies. Then I thought a barb with 2 bloodletters = godly. Sigh lol.

Misconception wise, I don't know what game I got it from, but I didn't understand why you couldn't heal a party member with potions by dropping it on their portrait.

I definitely had my noob moments though, I did a lot of a point in everything chars at first.

I used thorns as my main aura on my first paladin (right after I deleted the godly cleglaws barb), it was pretty funny. made it to chaos sanctuary before I gave up

haha...my first druid ever; spent 1 point in the fire branch skills, ice skills, and everything else in wolves, bear, and vines XD...

My first char after a necro, the firesorc, actually wasn't that bad I think. I fell in love with the hydra skill so I maxed it. Again, classic in this case, so doing 1000dmg per shot with hydra wasn't that bad for a newbie like me.

(of course...I couldnt kill jack**** in hellmode. but in NM I ruled the universe)

A guy gave me sparkling chain mail and it being my first unique i was god smach and since it had over 100 def and all my other gear was below 100,
i ask the bloke if it was the best item in the game :rolleyes:

The first jewel I found in A5 hell was 11allres/15IAS. I put it in my rare pellet-bow. Like, they drop all the time up here, right?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High