Warcry using Barb Guide v. 2 by memememe173

Mad Mantis

Jun 24, 2003
Warcry using Barb Guide v. 2 by memememe173

K, I’m having problems making threads, so I’ve gotten Mad Mantis to do it (thanks).

No intro as of yet, and a lack of pictures, I’m putting this to get some extra input before I post the final version.

Warcry using Barb Guide v. 2

Introduction
Abbreviations/Terms
Overview of the build
Skill discussion
Stat placement
Equipment selection
Strategy
Build Variants
Thank you
PvP section coming soon

Introduction:

Abbreviations/Terms:

Mf: Magic Find
PvM: Player vs. Monster
PvP: Player vs Player
FCR: Faster Cast Rate
FHR: Faster Hit Recovery
WCs: Warcries skill tree
WC: War Cry skill
BO: Battle Orders
BC: Battle Command
LA: Leap Attack
DR: Physical Damage Reduced

Display Damage is the damage shown on the character screen
Singer is the common name for a barbarian who uses War Cry as his main attack

Overview of the build:

The singer barbarian uses the skill War Cry to damage and stun monsters, while using his high level Battle Orders, Battle Command and Shout to make his whole party stronger. He also makes use of Battle Cry, Taunt, Howl and Leap to keep all around him as safe as possible. The goal of this particular build is to balance usefulness to the party, safety of the barbarian, and to be able to put out respectable damage. This goal is achieved the easiest by balancing the skill level of WC with your mana, similar to long distance running. A purely PvP build on the other hand, is much more like a sprinter, quickly exhausting their energy.

Skill Discussion:

War Cry: War Cry is your only source of damage and the skill that you will use the most. It rates 20 points.

War Cry deals physical damage and the mana cost is skill level +9 (level 1 WC costs 10 mana). It will stun physical immunes even though it doesn’t do damage. WC will also stun champions, uniques and Super Uniques, although it has a reduced % chance of doing so.

With your main skill having such a high mana cost to damage ration, it is not good to have too many +skills. A level 32 WC provides 946-982 (with 20 points in 2 synergys, and 4 in the third) for 41 mana, after that the higher mana cost, makes it very hard to keep casting WC without sacrificing health and overall survivability. Even though this gives lower display damage, it will let you stay with a party during play instead of making frequent trips to town to replenish your mana supply and limits your reliance on mana potions, though you will need to use them occasionally. Over a small amount of casts, the damage a level 32+ WC d

Battle Orders: 20 points. BO more then doubles your mana and health, making a high mana and life pool achievable. BO will not multiply any mana or life gained from these modifiers: +life/mana per level, +vitality/energy or +% mana/life.

Shout: Gives a boost to defense. With all the +skills this build supplies, more then one point in Shout is a waste, especially when the stun on WC limits the amount that you will be attacked. If you have extra points at the end, this is the best place for them.

Battle Command: The duration will be more then enough with only one point. BC will add life, mana, defense, resist, damage, stun duration and leaping distance…all for a single point!

Iron Skin: Even one point will give an extra thousand defense, well worth it.

Increased Stamina/Speed: Get a point in both, it can never hurt…but occasionally it can save you, especially in the levels before you get WC

Natural Resistance: I recommend placing a point here for dealing with unique monsters with the Conviction aura, or Oblivion Knights that use the Lower Resist curse.

Leap//Leap Attack: *see end of strategy

Battle Cry, Taunt, Howl: All three of these skills are synergies for WC. You will want to have at least 2 maxed. I suggest Howl, because it gives you a huge radius at high levels and Battle Cry, because it is a great benefit to you when leveling and also to your party later on.

At level 79 with all quests done your skills should look similar to this:
20 WC
20 BO
20 Battle Cry
20 Howl
1 Leap, Leap Attack, Natural Resist, Increased Speed, Increased Stamina, Taunt, Iron Skin and Battle Command.
For levels 80+ put the points into Taunt to increase your damage.

Stat Placement:

Strength: enough for gear Slikweaves are 65, Frostburns 60, mage plate 55. Keep in mind any strength you will get from gear/charms

Dexterity: Enough for Wizard Spike (75) or for “helâ€ed Wiz (60) again, keep in mind your charms

Vitality: As many points here as you can spare. Try to have some idea of your end gear, so you know how much you can put in vitality, and still have a good sized mana pool.In a PvP build most if not all points should go here, as you don’t need to worry about running out of mana, because you can fully recover it after every fight.

Energy: You want to reach 3k mana (roughly) so if you need to put points here...DO IT! Points in vitality give much better returns (4 life, while energy only gives 1 mana) So charms are a better source of mana supply...but you gotta do what you gotta do :p

You should aim for a minimum of 4k life and 2.7-3k mana after BO.

Equipment Selection: Unique, Magic, Set, Runeword

When choosing equipment keep in mind that you want to get 105% FCR, 3.5-4k life, 2.7-3k mana, close to 5k defense, and if possible 7frame hit recovery (15% FHR) and a WC level near 30. Depending on your gear (charms mostly) you might find that a few more +skills will work fine. My Singer will probably hit level 33 with his War Cry.

Helm: The best possible helm would be a Jawbone Visor, or other low strength barbarian helm with +3 Warcries, +3 BO, +3 WC, and + Shout/Leap or another useful skill, with the Whale or Squid suffix. Great Magic barb helm, socketed with two perfect skulls *Picture from SeraphimSilver

Another good option would be a 3 socketed barb helm, with +BO, WC, Shout or Leap. With 3 sapphires this kind of helm can provide a lot of mana.

Halabred’s Reign would also be nice, and much easier to find. Only disadvantage is the very high strength requirements.

Low cost/low level options: Radiance or Lore in a +skill helm, Peasant Crown War Hat

Harlequin Crest Shako is good but a magic barb helm, or a socketed helm with +WC, BO etc. with perfect sapphires is better since the +life/+mana with level on shako is not multiplied by BO or increase maximum mana %. It still has good skills and DR% and will provide some mana and life. Much easier to come by, then a really strong magic or socketable helm, so it is still many peoples choice. If you have enough strength, I would choose a “hel†Halabred;s over it though.

Armor: Enigma in a Mage Plate or Breast Plate would be ideal, as it give +2 skills, saves you points in strength, give life and DR, and lets you teleport

Que-Hagen’s Wisdom Mage Plate is my pick if you can’t afford Enigma, great defense, a skill, let’s you hit both the FCR and FHR break points and some mana

The Spirit Shroud Ghost Armor can also be good if you have 2 SOJs to use but would like the cannot be frozen mod.

Low cost/low level options: Stealth Breast or Mage plate, Skin of the Viper Magi Serpenskin Armor, Heavenly Garb Light Plate, 4 sapphire armor

Weapons: Wizard Spike Bone Knife, two of them. There is no replacement. Huge mana, mana regeneration, 100% FCR combined plus their very cheap, many players give them away or will sell for perfect gems. Heart of the Oaks doesn’t provide as much mana or FCR, and the +skills doesn’t really help that build I’m aiming for.

+3 Warcries weapons on your switch are very nice, giving an extra +6 to BO, BC and Shout.

Suicide Branch Burnt Wand and Spectral Shard Blade can both be used at low levels or if you can’t get Wiz spikes.

Gloves: Frostburn Gauntlets are simply the best choice as they give you a huge amount of mana. Mage Fist Light Gauntlets is a distant second, with its mana regeneration.

Belt: Arachnid Mesh Spider web Sash gives a 5% increase in mana, 20% FCR, which can open up ring, amulet and armor options as well as +1 skills. Gloom’s Trap Mesh Belt or an upgraded Nightsmoke Belt are alternatives if you can’t get a Arachnid Mesh.

Boots: Silkweave Mesh Boots are great if you need extra mana, while Water Walk Sharksin Boots will give you life, and a bit extra protection against fire, with the added bonus of making it easier to wear Wizard Spikes.
Crafted Cast Boots (Thul rune + magic jewel + Perfect Amethyst + magic Boots//Demonhide Boots/Wyrmhide Boots) can be excellent with a bit of luck.

Rings: The Stone of Jordan is the best ring for this build. Huge mana and a skill. Ravenfrost gives mana and Cannot be Frozen and Bul-Kathos’ Wedding Band has life and a skill. But if you can afford it nothing beats the SOJ. In a rare or magic ring look for mana, life, or FCR if your missing the 105% FCR breakpoint.

Amulet: This is the most open spot on your character. Simply fill in what you don’t have. Mana, life, skills, FCR, Strength, Dexterity can all come on an amulet. Just remember not to go overboard on the +skills. Teleport charges (for those without Enigma) can be a real plus to find on an amulet.

Charms: An Annihilus small charm can never hurt. Get Warcry Grand Charms if you don’t have level 30ish WCs yet. Mana (and life to a lesser extent) is the most important thing you can get on charms. FHR and Faster Run/Walk are also useful, though most item selections won’t require any more of either.

You don’t have to follow these items to a T. The only items I feel are non-removable are Wizard Spike and Frostburns, and something to get you to 105% FCR. Experiment with some of the other items to see what you like best, just keep in mind what I suggested at the top of the equipment section.

For socketing the helm and armor, put in Perfect Skulls to help get your mana back as quickly as possible, sapphires for extra mana, or rubies for more health. If you want to use 2 SOJ and Enigma, you could put a Cham in the helm for CBF, though it’s probably not needed as being frozen won’t decrese your cast speed. For the Wizard Spikes, Hel runes to lower the required dexterity or jewels with life, mana, or FHR could all be used.

Note: Due to my testing I feel that perfect skulls are more valuable then either rubies or sapphires. Although the short term totals will be smaller, the quicker replenishment will be invaluable.

IMO the best (possible) gear for this build would be: Berserker’s Jawbone Cap of the Whale with +3 WC, +3 BO and +2 Leap or Shout with two perfect skulls, Enigma Mage Plate, 2 “helâ€ed Wiz Spikes, Frostburns, Arachnid Mesh, Waterwalks, 2 Sojs, and a rare amulet with life and mana and a few skill levels.

Strategy:

Mercenary: If you’re using Leap Attack, your merc could often be stranded out side the group, and quite possibly taking damage from a few monsters outside your WC radius. So you want a tough merc who can take a few hits. None of the Act 3 mercs can tank well nor do they do much damage, so we can forget them completely. The Act 1 Rogue and then Act 5 Barbarian could be OK, but I think that an Act 2 merc offers the best all around benefit. He can tank and deal good damage, but his aura can also help you, even when you’re not together.

My suggestion for merc equipment would be: Duriel’s Shell Cuirass, Tal Rasha’s Death Mask, and Reaper’s Toll Thresher. For the merc cannot be frozen is much more important since cold will slow down his attacks. Bonehew, Arioc’s Needle, Steel Pillar, or a cruel Polearm//Spear can work well. High damage Runewords can also be used by the rich.

Do to the high mana cost and relatively low damage of WC, it is best to “herd†monsters into a group around you. This makes best use of WC radius and let’s you deal with many monsters at once, saving mana. If you run across a group, use Leap right into the middle of them, so that you WC hit as many as possible. The high mana cost and low damage can easily be offset, by smart timing and by grouping the monsters. Don’t worry about getting hit as you have a large life pool, plus the knockback radius while reduce the amount of monsters even within their striking distance. Once you start using WC the monster won’t be attacking any more. Don’t be afraid to use a mana potion if you need to, you can always get more by using Find Potion.

Taunt should be used against any ranged monster. It will force them to advance to your position, and use a melee attack if they have it...even if they resume their ranged attack once they reach you, it will still take lots of time, where you can attack or run away.

Don’t forget to keep BO, Shout and BC on at all times, and use Battle Cry to make it easy for a party and your merc to tear through monsters.

Potions are your friend. I can not stress this enough. You have no way of leeching so if you are low in either health or mana drink and potion and then get it right back with Find Potion.

Leveling should not be too hard, because even the 60 dexterity for a hel’ed Wiz Spike, will be enough to hit things until you get WC. I don’t suggest maxing WC right away or the mana cost will quickly become too high to manage. Get about 5 points in it, then work at BO and a synergy before you come back to WC.

Large health monsters, like Izual, Lister and the Act Bosses, will
have too much health for you to handle without using 2+ potions, so if you can, try to find a party or be prepared to sit and hold the mouse button down for a long time.

This build doesn’t have the high damage of Wind Druids and Hammerdins, but it survives very well, is quite fun to play and is a great change from the builds you normally see.

Variants:

The big problem with trying to combine War Cry with another skill, is that the damage becomes so small, that War Cry ends up only being used for stun...which is a great use for it...but only requires a few points so trying to combine Singer for damage with a combat skill doesn’t work too well...

This being said, within Singers there is still some room for variations. These either branch into using cheaper gear then this build, or into much more of a support role for party play.

The mfer: one of the weapon switches has Gull Dagger/ Blade of Ali Baba Tulwar, uses Find Item on every corpse, WC and BC are simply used for party support, some gear/charms replaced with mf items.

Party support: Doesn’t worry as much about mana pool. Concentrates on getting as high a level of WCs as they can afford to milk as much as they can from the security WCs can provide.

Sorc Support: Requires Enigma. Teleports a long side a Blizzard or Meteor sorc and stuns monsters (usally in Baal runs) while the sorc bombs from relative safety.

“Poor man’s†build: very few +skills (often only echoing weapons as main switch), everything socketed with Pspahs, behaves similar to party support, but leans a bit more towards damage.

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=167748
PvP Singer Guide

http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=170322
Gruntmaster’s PvM Singer Guide

tried about 10x to post this myself, but it wouldn't work, thanks for the help MM

K everyone, I want this to be as good as possible, so everyone be brutally honest :scared:

If the only purpose is to party, then why worry about having a high Warcry? Wouldn't it be more useful to max out Shout and BO?

I mean since you will have plenty of plus skills 1 point in Warcry and then you should have somewhere abouts a 2 second stun, that should be enough. I know one of your goals was to put out respectable damage, but it just isn't there.

I see this build as a build similar to the medic paladin, you are all party or nothing at all. And I was quite serious in my post in the OT.

bigD73 said:
If the only purpose is to party, then why worry about having a high Warcry? Wouldn't it be more useful to max out Shout and BO?

I mean since you will have plenty of plus skills 1 point in Warcry and then you should have somewhere abouts a 2 second stun, that should be enough. I know one of your goals was to put out respectable damage, but it just isn't there.

I see this build as a build similar to the medic paladin, you are all party or nothing at all. And I was quite serious in my post in the OT.
hmm, you're right, the overview section was rather vague on that. The point is to be able to play/survive by yourself, which they're do quite well at (though he is much stronger in party play where he can conserve mana and let others do the big damage)

I should also add another support type variant maxing shout instead of a syngery

thanks

Weapons: Wizard Spike Bone Knife, two of them. There is no replacement. Huge mana, mana regeneration, 100% FCR combined plus their very cheap, many players give them away or will sell for perfect gems. Heart of the Oaks doesn’t provide as much mana or FCR, and the +skills doesn’t really help that build I’m aiming for.

You should mention the insane resistance boost that they offer you. That's 150% all resists right there.

Great guide. I've played Singers since D2C (I was always a fan of odd builds), and this helped quite a bit with my current project. A question, though:

I was messing around with SP and Zonfire (character mod). I made a level 99 Singer, with all skills at 20, 2000 in life and mana, and 255 in each stat. I gave him 100% FC and +7 to all skills. This gave a level 27 Warcry, which was excellent against everything, including Lister, in Hell-up to Baal. I couldn't touch him; every hit took a barely visible sliver off of his life.

How am I supposed to kill him with a regular character, if my uber-Barbarian of death can't touch him? :)

ScatteredFire said:
Great guide. I've played Singers since D2C (I was always a fan of odd builds), and this helped quite a bit with my current project. A question, though:

I was messing around with SP and Zonfire (character mod). I made a level 99 Singer, with all skills at 20, 2000 in life and mana, and 255 in each stat. I gave him 100% FC and +7 to all skills. This gave a level 27 Warcry, which was excellent against everything, including Lister, in Hell-up to Baal. I couldn't touch him; every hit took a barely visible sliver off of his life.

How am I supposed to kill him with a regular character, if my uber-Barbarian of death can't touch him? :)
Do you mean any regular character, or do you mean a realm singer? I'd suggest loading your merc with crushing blow gear (Hone Sudan, Guillame's face etc.) and giving him some cold damage to slow baal down. Keep battle cry on baal. Your merc will be doing most of the killing more often then not, so bring lots of health potions for him (depending on his level and life leech) and lots of mana potions for you

OK,

Here's an idea.

One point in Berserk. Maybe even off your helm. Then one point in a Mastery of your choice, there is no Dagger mastery, so you'll want to pick something. With your plus skills you'll get a decent +% chance to hit around 17%CS and you'll be doing Magic Damage. On top of that Howl is a 10%per level increase to Berserk Damage, that's 200% more damage to Berserk. That's a nice little attack that doesn't change your build much.

List the creatures you want to taunt: Gloams, Archers, Mages, etc. I think its easy to forget you have Taunt if you don't beat it into people's heads that they really should use it, as much for you as everyone else in the party too.

Shout is going to be a darn good level with just one point because of your plus skills. It will last as long as BC and BO. So your party members can be as happy with that as they would be with maxed Shout.

Talk about which Merc you'd want. I think you want a Might Merc with this build, two reasons, you are stunning everything so Defense shouldn't be a huge deal. You are stunning everything so Freezing things shouldn't be a big deal. Now, I haven't compared damage of a Might Merc and a Holy Freeze Merc, unsynergized HF adds ~200 damage at level 20. So I think your better off with a Might merc with a good weapon to help you deal damage. The might merc will also help you up your Berserk Damage should you choose to go this route. Blessed Aim Merc might also help you if you are having AR problems because of too low levels of Berserk and Mastery and Dexterity.

Talking more about Berserk, it works with the build and it doesn't. It would be nice to be doing a ton of damage and to leach back mana. But even though that's not an option, you get a lot of benefits here. You don't need the defense you lose from Berserk because you have them stunned with WarCry.

Frenzy also gets a damage bonus from Taunt which would be a synergy for WC. Frenzy might be a good way to leech if you had decent gear to leech with on Weapon Switch. But I think Berserk is a better idea to help you deal damage.

I'm sure there is also a variant involved that goes more into the Berserk part of the skill, than the singer part. I think it would be easy to:
20 Berserk
20 Howl
1-20 Warcry
20 BO
(last) 20 Shout or BattleCry or Mastery(AR and CS)-- This would be testy, but Shout would be nice for the added Berserk Damage and because it would make you even more team friendly. Of coure this takes you farther and farther away from doing damage as a singer.

Playstyle is still very similar, leap into a mix hit them with WC, BC, WC, Then start Berserking, till you WC again. You still primarially try to keep things stunned to protect you and your merc and your party, but you can deal really good one on one damage with Berserk, just remember to be especially careful and always err on the side of WC to stun, instead on an extra berserk.

once you start adding in that much combat skills, its probably better for you to go with the regular build for that type, just with 1-10 points in WC for a bit of stun

Good point about taunt...

If you're tauting then defiance merc becomes much less useful...I still like prayer as a choice though (or might both being fairly equal IMO)

memememe173 said:
once you start adding in that much combat skills, its probably better for you to go with the regular build for that type, just with 1-10 points in WC for a bit of stun

Good point about taunt...

If you're tauting then defiance merc becomes much less useful...I still like prayer as a choice though (or might both being fairly equal IMO)

I kinda threw all that Berserk stuff out there as something to know, knowing that it wasn't where you wanted to go with the guide. It still might be worth writing off in the guide as a variant you didn't explore, but you know is available.

Also remember your singer is like a super tank/defender for the group. You taunt everyone near you then you stun them all. Then you keep them stunned. Thus parties have a lot less need for higher defense from Shout.

I think everyone with this build relies on their merc to deal as much damage as possible. Also Prayer really doesn't grant a lot of life back, 25/second at level 20. With as much life as you have, it will never seem like its actually going up. Even your Merc will be BO, BC, Shouted, with BC protecting him and stun. Go offensive with the Merc, unless you are playing in a party a lot where they are likely to have a Might Merc.

When I said points in the end for shout...I ment in the end end, like after maxing every synergy

Ya, as you said, the merc choice just depends on the play style

memememe173 said:
When I said points in the end for shout...I ment in the end end, like after maxing every synergy

Ya, as you said, the merc choice just depends on the play style
Interestingly enough, I'm thinking about using the Berserker Hybrid of your guide for my new ladder character.

finally got a chance to read the whole thing, have a few comments

you advocate maxing howl yet I don't see much of a description for it or information on it in the strategy section, taunt could also be given some more coverage in terms of bringing enemies into warcry range, in all I feel you could give more attention to the AI warcries

don't forget you can also buy mana potions so there should be no hesitation in using them as needed with vendors+find potion/item

also, a bit more advanced but useful to players who are planning their gear, if you could cover the tradeoffs of various warcry skill levels or point out what level you prefer as a guideline, then one could put less than 20 points into the skill with the knowledge that +skills would get warcry to their ideal level

Ash Housewares said:
finally got a chance to read the whole thing, have a few comments

you advocate maxing howl yet I don't see much of a description for it or information on it in the strategy section, taunt could also be given some more coverage in terms of bringing enemies into warcry range, in all I feel you could give more attention to the AI warcries

don't forget you can also buy mana potions so there should be no hesitation in using them as needed with vendors+find potion/item

also, a bit more advanced but useful to players who are planning their gear, if you could cover the tradeoffs of various warcry skill levels or point out what level you prefer as a guideline, then one could put less than 20 points into the skill with the knowledge that +skills would get warcry to their ideal level
Alright, time to take some WPs at random and see what messes I can get into/out of and how

I have a potion using stigma, cost my more then one death :bonk:

Slvl 30 or 1000 damage are good places to start, I had a paper with a bunch of comparisions, I'll see if I can dig it up, if not, I'll do it over again :(

I don't like using pots, it's just against my nature, I have to use draculs just because I haven't quite adjusted to 1.10 even yet, I've been getting better though, it's a hard life

a chart on warcry tradeoffs would be great, but I don't know how many people would use it, and it would be some trouble to compile

You may want to have slightly more discussion on Leap/Leap attack and the differences. (including optimal Leap lvl)

Many people won't find the benefit of leap since they've never made use of it. The Berzerk/Singer is a good one to add and imo, would probably the most well rounded character on the realms. (Even 1 point in Berzerk would get the Job done)

If you have Enigma there's basically No benefit to CBF. (No need to walk/run with teleport)

I'm still not a fan of limiting your WC lvl. (And will never be) Imo, if you're going for Damage, Maximize it and drink the potions when you need to. It's not like you can't find them yourself or even buy them in town.

Taunt is excellent and will help with your herding. If you see even a melee monster who was missed by your Stun, flip him off and get him in range just making the whole situation safer for your party. All that to say, just talk it up a little more. As with Leap, many people won't put it to use especially because they haven't before.

You're making this guide for everybody. Experienced and not. Explain the fine points (And ways to take advantage of skills) as if to someone who hasn't experimented with all the skills yet and your guide will be much more complete when you're done with it.

That's probably all I can think of at this point. Been too long.

alainpp66 said:
You may want to have slightly more discussion on Leap/Leap attack and the differences. (including optimal Leap lvl)

Many people won't find the benefit of leap since they've never made use of it. The Berzerk/Singer is a good one to add and imo, would probably the most well rounded character on the realms. (Even 1 point in Berzerk would get the Job done)

That's probably all I can think of at this point. Been too long.

Does your level in Leap/Leap Attack change the stun when you land? Does Leap negate the need for stun from WarCry?

Having trouble with mana? But do not want a build that uses melee skills? Get your hands on this little cheap stick of doom 100% mana leeching Jah runed elited Serpent Lord!!! Check it out. It so crazy, it just might work!!

Serpent Lord
Stalagmite
JAH
damage 105-147
damage 97.5-136.5
Str: 63
Dex: 35
Swing Speed: 10

Adds 11 poison damage Over 3 Seconds
Poison Resist +50%
-1 to Light Radius
+10 to Mana
+30-40% Enhanced Damage
100% Mana stolen per hit
50% Target's Armor Used in To-Hit
ingores target's Defense​

Attack skill, HA are you joking man? Just hit them with the stick! But it does crapy damage! So let warcry do the damage for you! But my attack ratting will be to low! So what you got the jah rune baby stick that bad boy in there and never worry about attack ratting again!

Check this out fokes this baby has a very low str needed and dex needed. So we do not need to care about that.. Then to top it off the freggen thing has 100% mana leech. One or two hits and your blue balls are full! Also talk about unique weapon for a unique build!! Brought to you by NOOBSTICK@ When you need to beat a noob get your own dang noobstick!!

pumafang has no relation to NOOBSTICK@ in any way shape or form.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High