Tournament Idea - The Most Useless

Hmmm. You're right with the synergies. From level 24-44, it would be fine, but that's only to the end of Normal, which is easy anyway... After that without any synergy, it'd quickly decline. Completely forgot about that bit. I'll have to remember not to invest in synergies!

Well that explains it.

I'll be starting a character, but will leave it quiet for now, mostly to hide my shame when it dies the inevitable death to Duriel. And also won't be scoring. Just need to think of a witty name...

I know blades of ice synergized isn't useless, but it is an uncommon build I think. I wanted to leave some of the uncommon builds open in this tournament so that there was enough variety in build choices.

Lots of people die to Duriel. Especially with no Act 2 merc, a selection of useless skills, and a bunch of useless, broken gear. This is ok.

Code:
Forum Name:     Char Name:     Class:    Useless Skill:      Level:     Location:           Score:
SunsetVista     Chiiko         Amazon    Immolation Arrow    1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
pharphis        CookieCutter   Barb      Incr. Stamina       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Grisu           BlazeRunner    Sorc      Blaze               1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Zaph            Kel-thuzad     Necro     Skel.Mage           1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
KoalaBear       ?              Sin       C.Bolt Sentry       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Vildecor        ForestFire     Druid     Armageddon          1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
djmbbandie      ZhaoYun        Barb      Spear Mastery       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0

I'm in too.

Another question (or two...):

Is it intended, that "of Memory" isn't included for Armors (only for jewelry), but "of the Centaur" and "of the Elephant" are? Granted, you can only score with it on Druid Pelts, but the same is true for "of the Elephant".

Do the bonus points for "bonus to class skills worn by another class" and "staff mod for useless skill" stack? I guess not, but I thought it better to ask.

Another question (or two...):

Is it intended, that "of Memory" isn't included for Armors (only for jewelry), but "of the Centaur" and "of the Elephant" are? Granted, you can only score with it on Druid Pelts, but the same is true for "of the Elephant".

Do the bonus points for "bonus to class skills worn by another class" and "staff mod for useless skill" stack? I guess not, but I thought it better to ask.

The omission of Memory on armor was a mistake. Going to fix it now.

By 'Bonus to Class skills' I meant the affix, not the staff mod. So +1 to combat skills (paladin only) is a bonus to class skills worn by another class if you wear that item as a sorceress.

Say there's a scepter with +1 to combat skills (paladin) and +1 to holy fire staffmod. A paladin gets 1 point for using that (+1 from useless skill staffmod) but a sorceress gets 2 points for using that (+1 from useless skill staffmod and +1 from bonus to class skills worn by another class).

I guess that means they do stack, if the right conditions are met.

Does that clear it up? I never meant for it to be quite so confusing.

Ah! Yes, that clears it up. I thought you meant individual class skills...I guess both bonus to individual skill tree and to all skills count? You already answered the first part: As a sorceress, I get a bonus point for using a weapon with +1 to (Paladin) Combat Skills.

Now let's say, you're a sorc and have an amulet with +1 to Necromancer skills - I guess that qualifies for +1 score, too?

Another question: you only addressed jewels socketed into something: Do Gems and runes count, too? E.g. putting a Diamond in a Helm or Body Armor would give you AR - score or no score? If you did indeed only want jewels to give points, do gems and runes at least count towards the bonus listed under armor and weapon? Let's say I put a Skull in a shield, which grants ATD, do I get a point?

Sorry for all the question...

Ah! Yes, that clears it up. I thought you meant individual class skills...I guess both bonus to individual skill tree and to all skills count? You already answered the first part: As a sorceress, I get a bonus point for using a weapon with +1 to (Paladin) Combat Skills.

Now let's say, you're a sorc and have an amulet with +1 to Necromancer skills - I guess that qualifies for +1 score, too?

Another question: you only addressed jewels socketed into something: Do Gems and runes count, too? E.g. putting a Diamond in a Helm or Body Armor would give you AR - score or no score? If you did indeed only want jewels to give points, do gems and runes at least count towards the bonus listed under armor and weapon? Let's say I put a Skull in a shield, which grants ATD, do I get a point?

Sorry for all the question...

NP, I like questions! Keep them coming, everyone!

The sorc would indeed get +1 point for wearing the +1 necromancer skills amulet (bonus to class skills worn by another class).
Only jewels give points for their bonuses. This was intentional, to try to simplify the scoring a bit. I'm rethinking it now, since it seems to be confusing anyway.

The way things are now:
Diamond in Helm for AR: no points from that AR, and no points for socketing the Diamond. If the item already had AR you would get +1 point from the AR on the item.
Skull in Shield for ATD: no points from that ATD, and no points for socketing the Skull. If the item already had ATD you would get +1 point from the ATD on the item.

Only jewels give points for their bonuses. This was intentional, to try to simplify the scoring a bit. I'm rethinking it now, since it seems to be confusing anyway.

The way things are now:
Diamond in Helm for AR: no points from that AR, and no points for socketing the Diamond. If the item already had AR you would get +1 point from the AR on the item.
Skull in Shield for ATD: no points from that ATD, and no points for socketing the Skull. If the item already had ATD you would get +1 point from the ATD on the item.

I think El gives + 1 lightradius :)
As I understand Sunset, only light radius from the item or from a jewel gives points, not from gems (which can't give LR..., but you get the drift) and runes.

The RW White is not on the banned list, I know bonespear is banned, but it still seems sort of useful.

Thanks, so to keep it short: socketed gems and runes don't give any points ever?

This is what I had in mind, yes. Otherwise, the following would be true:
[highlight]EDIT: Gems and Runes do not give points![/highlight] This post was made before that decision was finalized.

Code:
[b]Socket Fillers:[/b]
Points for each [b]gem[/b] socketed (gems not listed are not worth points, gem quality does not matter, some gems must be socketed in a specific place for points):
Amethyst in Shield: +1
Diamond in weapon, helm, or armor: +1
Skull in Helm, Armor, or Shield: +1

Points for each [b]rune socketed that is not part of a runeword[/b] (runes not listed are not worth points, some runes must be socketed in a specific place for points):
El: +1
Eld: +1
Nef in armor/helm/shield: +1
Amn in armor/helm/shield: +1
Dol: +1
Io: +2
Lum: +2
Ko: +2
Fal: +2
Lem: +3
Pul: +3
Gul: +5
Vex in armor/helm/shield: +5
Ohm in armor/helm/shield: +5
Lo in armor/helm/shield: +5
Sur in armor/helm/shield: +5
Jah in armor/helm/shield: +5
Cham in weapon: +5

It would be pretty funny to see El socketed into things, since no one does that. What do you think?

Last edited:
The RW White is not on the banned list, I know bonespear is banned, but it still seems sort of useful.

This is correct. White is not banned. If you want to do a Bone Spirit bonemancer with just the 1 point in spear and never casting spear, go for it.

The idea with gems and runes in nice, but makes things all the more complicated. I think it would be as good and easier if only jewels and complete runewords gave points if socketed, but not gems and runes which don't add up to a RW.

It would it make far too easy to get high-scoring items if you awarded points for runes and gems, because everyone would only look out for socketed items and fill them with gems/runes. Gives much more points and is easier than to look for "useless" rares :)

I'd say: Stick to your first post :)

The idea with gems and runes in nice, but makes things all the more complicated. I think it would be as good and easier if only jewels and complete runewords gave points if socketed, but not gems and runes which don't add up to a RW.

It would it make far too easy to get high-scoring items if you awarded points for runes and gems, because everyone would only look out for socketed items and fill them with gems/runes. Gives much more points and is easier than to look for "useless" rares :)

I'd say: Stick to your first post :)

Thanks! This is what I thought too.

Does anyone have any good item scoring examples that I could add to the first post to clarify the scoring?

Would it be possible for me to start a day or two late?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High