Tournament Idea - The Most Useless

This tournament is too cool to pass:

Code:
Forum Name:     Char Name:     Class:    Useless Skill:      Level:     Location:           Score:
SunsetVista     Chiiko         Amazon    Exploding Arrow     1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
pharphis        CookieCutter   Barb      Incr. Stamina       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Grisu           BlazeRunner    Sorc      Blaze               1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Always wanted to make one of those :)

I'm in with a skeleton mage-mancer. Hope it works..

Code:
Forum Name:     Char Name:     Class:    Useless Skill:      Level:     Location:           Score:
SunsetVista     Chiiko         Amazon    Exploding Arrow     1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
pharphis        CookieCutter   Barb      Incr. Stamina       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Grisu           BlazeRunner    Sorc      Blaze               1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Zaph            Kel-thuzad     Necro     Skel.Mage           1          Rogue Camp (N)      0

damn you grisu i was gonna make one of those...

then again, i have enough on my gaming plate for now...

I suggest maybe 2 or 3 useless and banned skill for every tree and class, at least it may be more balance.

What do you think is imbalanced about it?
I thought carefully about which skills to consider useless and which to ban. I don't really want to change those.

Well, quick update. I have gotten to lvl 15 on my mage-mancer. Before acquiring skeleton mages I found a rare throwing knife and used it for 1 pt poison dagger and throwing, clay golem to tank. Here's a pic. Sorry can't be bothered to calculate score at this point.
Code:
Zaph            Kel-thuzad     Necro     Skel.Mage           15         Dark Wood (N)        ?

Tournament starts on the 15.

Also, you aren't supposed to cast your clay golem in this tournament. He's definitely not useless.

Last edited:
5 Quick questions: do the points for broken item (+5) and the mods on the item stack? E.g., if rare boots have CtC something, "of thawing" and added Stamina and are broken, do I get 8 points or 5? (The same question applies to broken cracked items: 6 or 5 points?

And if I socket a not-banned rare item with the Larzuk quest, do I get an additional point for only having one socket?

Superior armors: does their ED% mod count towards the +1 bonus point for enhanced defense mod?

Does the Half Freeze Duration of a Safety Body Armor count as "of Thawing"?
EDIT: Forgot: It's a light armor, so no points at all I guess? :p

Do mods you listed as pre- or suffix ("of Thawing", "of Flame") count on rare items, too, or only on magical items when they are actually called "of Thawing"?

If all questions are answered with yes, the most you could get out of an item would be crafted Safety Armor pieces (3 fixed mods that can possibly count towards your score + 4 random mods) or Hit Power Ring with only 1 PDR/MDR/Dex (the same).

So highest score for one item would be:

Ethereal Safety Crafted Helm with
1 PDR (+1)
1 MDR (+1)
10-30% ED (+1)
4 random mods that each grant +1 (+4)
1 socket added by Larzuk (+1)
socketed with a %EDam/+Dam jewel (+5)
broken so it's useless (+5)
ethereal (+1)

Total: 19

*starts calculating the odds for such an item*

Last edited:
1. yes (that's a pretty useless thing isn't it?)
2. yes (I know that there are some nice rares out there, and that adding a socket to one of them doesn't necessarily make it useless, but it is a bit less complex this way)
3. no (this is on the FAQ)
4. yes (any form of half freeze duration counts)
5. yes (they count on rare items too, but make sure that it's 'of flame' and not higher fire damage than that)

Don't forget to personalize that hat for an extra point! And it's crafted, so it gets another point, too.

Edit: I had originally meant for the +1 (and only one) bonus to only work on rings and amulets. How often are those found on armor? I might change the rules so that those crafted safety hats are worth more points the way you say.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! Must have missed the part with superior Armor...damn, now I will have to decide whether I'll go for points of MF with chipped Topazes...

Man, I foresee a math degree for free for everyone after the tourney is over...can't Wolron give us each a degree? Isn't he a prof for mathematics?

There's not even any calculus anywhere.

I award each of this tournament's participants an honorary certificate proving they know addition, assuming the numbers actually come out right.

To everyone concerned about scoring: I'll be following this closely as it gets going, so feel free to post a readout of an item if you aren't sure how many points it should be worth, and I will reply as soon as I can.

Code:
Zaph            Kel-thuzad     Necro     Skel.Mage           1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
KoalaBear       ?              Sin       C.Bolt Sentry       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0

:D

Last edited:
Code:
KoalaBear       ?              Sin       C.Bolt Sentry       1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Vildecor        ForestFire     Druid     Armageddon          1          Rogue Camp (N)      0

A question. SunsetVista, your useless skill is Exploding Arrow. Am I safe in assuming that's what you meant in the list of useless amazon skills instead of Immolation Arrow?

A question. SunsetVista, your useless skill is Exploding Arrow. Am I safe in assuming that's what you meant in the list of useless amazon skills instead of Immolation Arrow?

Oops, yes, you are correct. Sorry for the mistake. Fixing the table now.

Code:
SunsetVista     Chiiko         Amazon    Immolation Arrow    1          Rogue Camp (N)      0
Vildecor        ForestFire     Druid     Armageddon          1          Rogue Camp (N)      0

Oops ..Well I guess I'll start again..

Code:
SunsetVista     Chiiko         Amazon    Immolation Arrow    1          Rogue Camp (N)      0

Now only lack of paladin:D
I thought about making a Holy Fire Smiter, then remembered Smite doesn't work with Holy Fire/Shock/Frost :doh:

A BA Ranger or Holy Fire Ranger could still work, as could a Concentration Paladin of some sort (Sacrifice for example?).

I'm definitely considering this. But I have a big qualm with something:

"Useless - Dragon Claw, Fists of Fire, Dragon Tail, Blades of Ice"

Really? Blades of Ice is useless? Apart from the mana challenges, which is solved by gulping potions, Blades of Ice is far from useless. It completely dominates everything from as soon as you obtain it, to the end of Nightmare, on /players8. Then it can do stable and extremely safe damage in Hell, but does slow down.

Sorry, haven't got time to read through in case this was asked.
Using Larzuk quest to make something "useless," it still cannot be turned into a banned runeword from what I read. I take it this is still the case if you Personalise an item, making it "useless," and then use the socket quest to make it uselessly useless - still not allowed?

"This means that anything you imbue, socket, or personalize is forever considered useless! Hurray!"

Last edited:
I think the idea is that most phoenix strike users don't really bother with the single element attacks, even when they are maxed for synergy purposes. Thus 'useless'.

Edit: And since you won't be able to get phoenix strike to give synergy to these skills, I bet they'll be quite weak.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High