Tournament idea/Input thread

Zedwardson

Aug 20, 2021
Hi all,

I was thinking (I know, that just gets me in trouble) of a tournament idea but wanted to have input to gauge interest and finetune rules. The idea is to play classic Diablo II to provide a very different experience from the LoD gameplay.

Start proposed rules/fluff rule template from the three legged tournament. I was thinking of 1.10+, but I am open to the idea to allowing other versions if other players want to play those.
-----------------------

Baal-Less Diablo II -- Playing classic in the modern age!

The basic idea is to play classic (IE non-expansion) Diablo 2 using the modern game, this can be done by simply unchecking the "expansion" checkmark at charicter creation while using any of the original five classes. This means no Assassin or Druid, no runes or runewords, no charms, and a tiny stash. It also means no Act V and a very different play experience.

General Rules

1. HC, or SC with disqualification upon first death

2. You may re-enter as many times as you wish, or enter charicters at once. You may sign-up any time.

3. Version 1.10+, FAM allowed. No MP, no Trading. (Note: I am open to the idea of allowing other versions or even making this a 1.06 version if that is what players want -- more of trying classic - that is why this is a input thread!)

4. Any /players setting may be used at any time.

5. You may return to any previous difficulty/act at any time to redeem quest rewards, shop, or just do some sight-seeing.

6. Save + Exit to avoid death is NOT allowed, and results in disqualification from the tournament.

Tourney rules

1. Reruns of areas are allowed (think of it like training!). You may keep all gold/items from your runs if you please. There will be a designation in the table for if you want to go Single-Pass or not.

2. Respecs are allowed (If we are playing multi-versions, if allowed in your version)

3. Scoring -- Same as three legged, but with a additional points for completion since no Act V

1 point per completed quest (reward quests do not need to be greyed out to be considered complete, simply finishing the quest and having the reward available will suffice)
21 points total (21 quests) per difficulty

9 additional points for completing Normal difficulty
11 points for finishing Nightmare Difficulty
17 points for finishing Hell Difficulty

(I.E
30 points per character that has completed Normal difficulty
62 points per character that has completed Nightmare Difficulty
100 points per character that has completed Hell Difficulty
)

----------------------

Please let me know if anyone is interested or any input to the concept.

Idea goes over like a lead balloon

Welp, Might just make a thread of adventures in 1.14 classic.

I think this could be a cool tournament, and a nice little change of pace since it's something a lot of us have not done.

Idea goes over like a lead balloon

I think this is mostly because lots of people are busy with MFO and singularly focused on that. We're not very good multi-taskers around here. ;)

Feel free to start your own adventures, but keep this in the back of your mind and once MFO and the other tournaments slow down/end you can float the idea out again and see about interest. I think you'll find that a lot of us have trouble saying no to new tournaments if our plates aren't TOO overly filled.

Reactions: Zedwardson
I will bring it up after MFO is finished and everyone taken a breath. For now I have a thread of my own explorations (and others can join in to find out what going on) so I can make a quick guide on some of the oddities I already found. Its really is a different feel.

Reactions: Pb_pal
I will bring it up after MFO is finished and everyone taken a breath.
You mean at D2R launch?

It's a bit overloaded this month, but hey not everyone will jump there - I must admit I am curious about those soon-to-pop 1.15 trading threads and the impact on the current market :p

Reactions: Zedwardson
100% in for something like this. For me the biggest appeal of classic is that with no runewords, you use a much different set of items, and while many uniques are great, rares can be outstanding too. I have dabbled in 1.06 some as well and really enjoyed it.

I'm curious if we should implement any other rules. As is, this is basically "just play the game, but in classic", which is fine. I don't really have any ideas on this front, but I'll think about it!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High