The Untwinked Level 99 Progress Thread, Revenge of the 99ers

Battleforge finally hit 90 last night, which is at least 3 or 4 levels higher than any character I've ever made. Seems like this trip to 99 might take a while, because yikes it is slow already. I think part of the problem is that my gear is still pretty substandard. Well anyway, I do keep working on that aspect of this journey. See some consolidated screenshots of my finds, with comments below.

View attachment 3280
My first big find was the Wizardspike. It has the same FCR as the Spectral Shard I had been using but obviously with much greater resistances. It allows me to have other specific items in the hardest difficulty without worrying about maximizing resistances, such as Stealth armor, Chance Guards, Sanders' Boots and M'avina's Belt, etc. I have found several skillers, the most of any one tree being 3 cold sorc skillers. The Gheeds Fortune that Battleforge found will be hard to beat and earned a permanent spot as soon as I got it. I have spent most of my money gambling circlets, caps (for a Harlequin Crest) and battle boots (for an Aldur's set boots) and in the process of doing that I got this sweet Amazon tiara. I think it would be great for a Strafer, which I would like to make some day.

View attachment 3281

My other nice jewel is a 39% ED version and I like it a lot. Probably no room on this build for it, but nice nonetheless. The paladin circlet is what I call the poor man's version of a Shako. I dumped the 2 socket helm I'd been wearing since almost the start of the journey (some FHR and 48% MF was all it had) and put it on for times when I want to fight. I also have another circlet in the stash with 30% FRW for times I need to hustle, such as LK. This screenie also shows my first Mal rune, which dropped after the Zod and Lo and Ohm. I am still looking for a 4 socket flail for Hoto and the Pul that goes into it too (though I can cube one). I have also not seen a Gul drop yet.

View attachment 3282

I'd also been spending some time in the Mausoleum and Crypt as a break from the CS/LK drudgery. I can do those areas at P8 and there are lots of drops. Last night I got this and thought I might have a candidate for the BOTD that is now tugging at me like I'm Frodo Baggins with his ring. Alas, I guess I don't know the difference between a Colossus Sword and a Colossus Blade, and this only gets five holes. It would make a nice Death RW though, if I ever decide to use a barb merc or run a Chargeadin, which I've also never done before.

@OldSoldier - Congrats on hitting 90! You've got some really cool finds in there, I especially like the RJoF and the Sharp GC of Vita. Very cool!

Also pretty cool that over half the participants are now 90+!

@OldSoldier Congrats, very well done :). Some really nice finds. I agree with @Pb_pal, the RJoF and the Sharp GC of Vita are the most obvious ones. I wouldn't mind that Tiara or Circlet though !!

What probably slows you down, isn't only your gear, but also the fact that you are HC. And don't have Enigma iirc. I'd say you are doing pretty darn well :). Btw, which gear are you currently using, next to the pieces you mentioned?

O yes, and good to know where all the cold skillers I can't find go to ...

@Pb_pal Cool indeed. As a matter of fact, I actually think that those that are still active, all hit 90 now. I haven't really seen any progress reports from the others iirc.

As a matter of fact, I actually think that those that are still active, all hit 90 now. I haven't really seen any progress reports from the others iirc.

So I'm in last place eh? Well then, I'm happy to be bringing up the rear!

There's no last place in a journey of this size :). And besides, who knows I spent twice as much time on the game already as you have, in HC and without Teleport nonetheless !!!

I for one am actually very inspired by your character here. I've never tried a Hammerdin, and never felt like doing so, but ever since this journey and your participation, I'm inclined to start one at some point.

Calculated about 450 runs to 95...

That and little playing time means Reina isn't hitting 95 soon but I'll hopefully be able to make a good push late June/early July to 95. Then playing time will stagnate again for quite awhile but I'll hopefully be able to get a good run or fifteen in every few days. Slow and steady and all that...

Also cool finds @OldSoldier!! I couldn't fathom hitting 90 on hardcore...

Eleanor has reached 97!

The last half of the level went smoothly, aside from one death in the last 30M of the level which was frustrating. We got our body back though, so it didn't hurt too too much. She continues her search for a +2 sorc skills/10+ FCR amulet, either rare or crafted will suffice, with no luck. She did manage to cube herself an 8 FCR one though :rolleyes:. She also managed to upgrade her Gheeds to 37%, which she was quite pleased about.

She was just starting to think of all the Bers, Jahs, and Chams that everyone has been finding lately and she was starting to get a bit miffed about her non-LK rune drops. Her highest so far has been a solitary Lo. Right when she was about to start writing an angry letter to the Runedrop Gods, this happened:

cRRv6v1.jpg

Wow! Well I guess I can't complain about rune drops for her ever again!

It's not overly useful for her, but always a welcome sight. This marks the second Zod drop of my career (and both fairly recently, too!). Now I'll have to wrestle with the decision between not only Insight vs Infinity for the merc, but BotD too. Hmm.

Cathan's Seal is now the most found item (29 found), with Isenhart's Case bringing in 2nd place at 23.

Other finds:
- Ist
- Mal
- Always nice to see some class-specific uniques (grailers, as well) in HoZ and Spirit Keeper.

Updated Battleforge as well.

Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
zticazzy    Perkele         SC      Barb      97             No            -          -            -           -
NanoMist    Izuna           SC      Sin       97             No         1458        391            2          175
Pb_pal      Eleanor         SC      Sorc      97             No         1194        354            5           -
T72on1      Neverland       SC      Sorc      95             Yes         459        232            11          65
PhineasB    Mercy           SC      Sin       94             Yes           -        273            9           -
hasuprotoss Reina           SC      Sorc      94             Yes         503        255            -           -
Tarantella  Tarasha         HC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw    Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
OldSoldier  Battleforge     HC      Pala      90             Yes           -        236            -           -
Gambit      Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
logo        Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl  Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Kitteh      Cyanosis        HC      Assassin  45             No            -          -            -           -
Tenecabo    OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     40             Yes           -          0            0           -
Gambit      Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Ergroilnin  Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Smancer     Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
[highlight]The Fallen:[/highlight]
Code:
Name (F)    Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Well done! 97 and Zod!

As far as S/U frequency goes, I have the same top two. Cathan's Seal (41), Isenhart's Case (33), then Angelic Sickle (20).

After my HC Blizzard Sorc died in LK last year, I have stopped playing HC. Recently, I cannot resist the temptation of playing HC again, and I just got a new laptop. So I think, why not take this opportunity to do a fresh start in HC in 1.14? Something challenging, no RWM and no ATMA/GoMule.

Now seeing this thread is so active, and I've been enjoying reading all the progress people do here, I just might as well join!!!

I hope it is not too late. Starting today, I will put some effort on making an untwinkled 99er :D

Code:
Name (F)     Name (C)       SC/HC   Class   Level/exp   Extended Stash   #of S/U   Grail/504   #of deaths   # of Hours
zticazzy     Perkele         SC      Barb      97             No            -          -            -           -
NanoMist     Izuna           SC      Sin       97             No         1458        391            2          175
Pb_pal       Eleanor         SC      Sorc      97             No         1194        354            5           -
T72on1       Neverland       SC      Sorc      95             Yes         459        232            11          65
PhineasB     Mercy           SC      Sin       94             Yes           -        273            9           -
hasuprotoss  Reina           SC      Sorc      94             Yes         503        255            -           -
Tarantella   Tarasha         HC      Sorc      93             Yes           -          -            -           -
Southpaw     Njord           SC      Druid     90             Yes           -          -            -           -
OldSoldier   Battleforge     HC      Pala      90             Yes           -        236            -           -
Gambit       Mallenroh       SC      Sorc      81             Yes           0          0            0           0
logo         Digimon         HC      Nec       76             Yes          85         65            0           -
Darke Rahl   Bells           HC      Ama       74             No           19          -            0           0
Kitteh       Cyanosis        HC      Assassin  45             No            -          -            -           -
Tenecabo     OldShatterhand  HC      Druid     40             Yes           -          0            0           -
Gambit       Colossus        SC      Pal       39             YES           0          0            0           0
Ergroilnin   Erilinda        HC      Sorc      20             No            -          -            -           -
Smancer      Smancer         SC      Necro     26             Yes           1          -            -           -
XyleneCyanol Fishie          HC      Sorc      23             No            1          -            -           -
[highlight]The Fallen:[/highlight]
Code:
coju        NintyNine_orRiP HC      Sorc      81             Yes           -          0            0         a few
coju        fB              HC      Sorc      29             Yes           1          1            0           2
Kitteh      Verallus        HC      Druid     26             No          N/A        N/A            0          N/A
logo        Rolex           HC      Barb      21             Yes           0          0            0           1

Congrats on 97 !!! And for the Zod, awesome. The only rune I haven't found yet. Well done :).

About S/U: I'll have to check later when I get home. Isenhart's Case definitely is close to the top spot, if not at it. But maybe a bit surprisingly, Tancred's weapon is there as well iirc.

Edit: just missed @XyleneCyanol's post apparantly. Good luck on your journey. That's definitely some restrictions you put on yourself there. Very interesting. I wish you a safe trip.

Something else I wanted to add: apparantly the progress of the people in this iteration of the road to 99 is much better than the previous one. I that one, there were over 50 entries, with the highest being one 99er, but then 'only' 96, 95, 2x 94, 2x 93, 2x 91, 2x 90 and further down, after one year. We already have 3x 97, 95, 2x 94, 93 and 2x 90 after only 2.5 months. Nice going people :cool:.

Last edited:
Congrats on 97 !!! And for the Zod, awesome. The only rune I haven't found yet. Well done :).

About S/U: I'll have to check later when I get home. Isenhart's Case definitely is close to the top spot, if not at it. But maybe a bit surprisingly, Tancred's weapon is there as well iirc.

Edit: just missed @XyleneCyanol's post apparantly. Good luck on your journey. That's definitely some restrictions you put on yourself there. Very interesting. I wish you a safe trip.

Something else I wanted to add: apparantly the progress of the people in this iteration of the road to 99 is much better than the previous one. I that one, there were over 50 entries, with the highest being one 99er, but then 'only' 96, 95, 2x 94, 2x 93, 2x 91, 2x 90 and further down, after one year. We already have 3x 97, 95, 2x 94, 93 and 2x 90 after only 2.5 months. Nice going people :cool:.
Was that one untwinked as well? That is pretty wild that we hAve 9 past 90 in 2.5 months!
I wonder if start dates have anything to do with it? Didn't kesteg's tournament start in September or so?

lol, @T72on1 , thank you.

I will keep visiting this thread on a regular basis, and post update.

Oh, the first unique is Rixot's Keen, forgot to take screenshot, though :p

@coju Kesteg's started mid october. Seems like the perfect timing for such a project. At least that's when things usually start to get a lot more quiet for me, and I get far more playing time. And yes, it was untwinked.

@XyleneCyanol Rixot's Keen ... a TC3 as first unique !!! For sure your trip will be blessed :).

Was that one untwinked as well? That is pretty wild that we hAve 9 past 90 in 2.5 months!
I wonder if start dates have anything to do with it? Didn't kesteg's tournament start in September or so?
It was easy getting to 90, now the medium sets begin so you have to take short breathers.[emoji14]

@Pb_pal You could even consider going with a Barb merc for that zod. They are a lot more hardy and have way better AI than the Act II walking auras. Maybe take one for a test run since you just reach a new level?

@Pb_pal You could even consider going with a Barb merc for that zod. They are a lot more hardy and have way better AI than the Act II walking auras. Maybe take one for a test run since you just reach a new level?

That could be interesting. If I ever decide that I don't want an Insight anymore, this might be an option. Certainly gets some style points!

Njord still on his way to 91 found a few more nifty items, another HR in the RoF and tried his hand at several crafts, which landed him some pretty good kit in the end.
View attachment 3296
I thought this has to be the best rare elite 2-hander that has ever dropped for me. What do you all think of it? I'll definitely consider giving it to an Act V mercenary and see how he does with it. Maybe use a socket quest to slap a LL rune in it too. Too bad the ED% and AR% bonuses are not for Demons instead of Undead.
View attachment 3298
Njord's new get there quick stick and 2 os shield courtesy of Pindle, which made teleporting past him and kicking his packs butt much safer and easier on /p8, until we shifted to full time RoF and CS at /p5.
View attachment 3289
View attachment 3290
One of the many gambled Coronets.
View attachment 3291

Might have to make a Fendazon with this weapon and gloves for my next random project.
View attachment 3292
View attachment 3297
View attachment 3293
View attachment 3294
View attachment 3295

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High