The Tournament of the Ring.

Thx AE...

Yeah, i figured wth!!! :D

Now I know to take it a bit slower, because life is precious, and you can't respawn LoL!!!

Hopefully I'll do better next time...

Pilosus the dwarf advanced to jail lvl 1. On his way into the shadowy areas, he found a few nice things: First infernal cap was dropped by rakanishu, next arctic furs were dropped by treehead woodfist. Combined good for +20 res. Next, the countess dropped me two runes, el and tir, which combined very good in a broad axe making "steel" runeword. Next gorefoot was dropped by a rondom monster in the barracks. The two sets and one unique are not that good, but I'm quite amazed to find three of those items in act 1 normal, without any MF! The steel broad axe makes playing very easy btw!

Code:
Forum Name      Character(+Name)          Rings    Level  Last Area Seen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sint Nikolaas   Fiaan the Elf             0        33     Frigid Highlands
Wolron          Sathien Greenleaf the Elf 0        26     Kurast Docks
Spellreaver     Milar the Sorcerer        0        25     Kurast Docks
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        24     Claw Viper Temple
Nightstalker    Luthien the Elf           0        18     Black Marsh
jjscud          Renar the Dwarf           0        18     Lut Gholein
Deadbob         Tilion the Sorcerer       0        18     Catacombs
Dahkar          Thorin the Dwarf          0        14     Tristram
MadMachine      Freogis the Human         0        14     Dark Wood
Freekje         Pilosus the Dwarf         0        13     Jail lvl 1
Alterego        Fiwen Peredhil the Elf    0        13     Stony Field
Jungleboy       Pallando the Sorcerer     0        11     Black Marsh
Suiling         Hilmania the Elf          0         9     Cold Plains
Cormallon       Baldo the Hobbit          0         6     Cold Plains
Atigdng         Noignus the Dwarf         0         1     Rogue Encampment
Irok            Nulir the Dwarf           0         1     Rogue Encampment
Ropepaelgen     Garin the Human           0         1     Rogue Encampment
Hoop7           Gandhoop the Sorcerer     0         1     Rogue Encampment
Matrixnetuk     Mungo the Hobbit          0         1     Rogue Encampment
Greenmind       Sallazar the Sorcerer     0         1     Rogue Encampment

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]
Aerwynd         Aerwynd the Sorcerer      1        64     [NM] Catacombs lvl 4
OneFromBeyond   Drebo the Hobbit          0        23     Act 3

R.I.P. Drebo...

I know the feeling LoL --> Just different element...

Mine was Poison (although not really an element)...

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sint Nikolaas   Fiaan the Elf             0        33     Frigid Highlands
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        29     Kurast Bazaar

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]

Toimli has defeated Duriel and collected the 3 body parts since the last update and is going strong in Act 3, slightly concerned about the council as he only has 15 fire res, I can't see them being too much of a problem though.

I'm glad the rules say no muling on as I'm actually using everything I find and learning new tricks. I've never used the 3 chipped gem + magic weapon formula before and it has yielded some nice results.

I can't wait to reach lvl 30 though, Warcry and natural resists will be a great help!

Good luck to all!

This will be a very.. very long post.

Code:
Sint Nikolaas   Fiaan the Elf             1        53     Outer Cloyster
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        29     Kurast Bazaar

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]

Boy did I make some progress. Fiaan has been very lucky in her journy and finally managed to get the first ring!

So I thought on for hand that I didn't have any time to play this weekend, but I deceided to skip the test I had to do today clearing my study time up. I started out yesterday evening at around 7 pm. thinking that I could get to Baal in a short while. Nothing really interesting happened, I freed some barbarians, rescued Anya and preformed my usual leveling technique on Pindleskin getting to level 42. Immolation arrow was really picking up and combined with some mana and lifeleech arrows shot from a Zephyr cedar bow I really had no problems at all.

Things took an interesting turn at the Ancients as usuall, because I tackled them at /p 1. Again and again, every time I kill the ancients at /p1 I am amazed at the easy they die. About 60 arrows were shot before they turned gold and they didn't even make me use a potion (on me nor the merc).
Turning the player setting back to 8 I ventured on to meet Baal and his minions. At last some hard battles surfaced and Fiaan was finally put to the test.
The fire scourched trough the first two packs without problems, but the Council members proved hard as usual. Cleglaws gloves shined with power as I could push them back one at the time and burn them leaving the LE to the last. The Ventaur pack after that was a relaxing moment. I had to feed a few potions to my merc though but it wasn't a fair fight.
Lister on the other hand chased my twice around the entire throne chambers. I forgot to put the player setting down and I could really take him on /p8. I didn't want to give up though, so a little cat and mouse game ensued. I needed my merc and my valk to even tank one of them, so I kept them up. This was also a problem though, because I couldn't lure them out easily without my merc or my valk attracting everyone of them. Sigh. Once they killed both of them I deceided to first run around a bit and try to spread them out before resurrecting. This proved very usefull. Running around corners made them get stuck as they weren't as fast as my amazon. After that it wasn't too hard.

Baal was a different story. My merc couldn't tank him. I could tank him, but not for long. It was lucky that I got guided arrow up a bit so I didn't need all the attack rating I could find.. my chance to hit was about 60%. Anyway, it wasn't too dangerous either so I could chip his life away and keep making town trips (also every time he casted a twin I made a trip to make him go away). At last he died and dropped me a Spirit Shroud! CBF!!
Hm.. so it was 10:30 pm and I completed my goal. Kill Baal. Alright I'll go do the Den in NM too..
Around 11 pm I cleared out the den and found a nice ring that proved useless, but stil was nice. What does that make you think of? Oh right! I need to find a ring of Baal :shocked:

So I'm level 48 and start running Baal. I figure I should run at players 1 to make the best time and it'll take me about an hour to get the ring. Or so I hoped....
At 2:38 AM Baal dropped the Ring. Clicky
Finally. It took me about 6 minutes from load up screen to load up screen. Starting at 11 PM and ending at 2:38 PM I think it has took me about 35 runs to find the ring. I estimated about 10. I leveled from level ~48 to level ~53 on players 1. (about right, I did sometimes forget to turn players settings down or up and I killed some stuff in NM today.)
I did find a buttload of very nice stuff though. It started out with that Spirit Shroud but I also collected the all famed Sigons boots+belt+gloves combination and hsarus belt. Hoping to find the boots along side it. I'll give a readout of all my gear a little on.

The best is yet to come though. Today I deceided to pick up my game a bit and play to rescue Decard Cain. NM proved very easy as I went on /p1 to make up for lost time. It's not like I need the experience anyway. I'm 8 levels above my normal NM entrance. Immolation arrow is maxed and killing like crazy. Currently I'm getting guided to max to give me sufficient leech and it working quite well (not as well as I would, but nice al the same). So I went on and having fun making one shot kills, running around in the Dark Woods when suddenly some random monster drops a kuko.

Kuko Shakaku.

About THE bow I could wish for.. very nice damage, +3 B&C skills, +3 Immolation arrow!
I'm making OHKO's on boss packs. Boss PACKS. That's 5 monsters wiped out in one hit. My Immolation arrow damage is 1k+. :cool:
It gets better though... So I found that kuko and wiped every monster in the vicinity. I didn't even need to keep my merc or valk around, I just ran on and shot everything in sight. So to test my new powers I went on the tower quest and killed the sorceress. Dol. Io. Eth. Uh.. luck?
It gets better though... thinking I must have crazy luck I keep playing a bit thinking I would stop at the Outer Cloister. Running around I followed the road and killed some bosspacks in the Tamoe Highlands. Nothing too hard and nothing too interesting. Untill I see a bunch of skeletons. I wipe them out but one was outside the blast radius or something and before I run on I think ''well ok.. him too'' and he drops me a Manald. Heheh...

Character name : Fiaan
Character type : Hardcore Amazon
Character level : 53
Character exp : 66509253

Strength : 80
Energy : 15
Dexterity : 125
Vitality : 125
Stat Points Rem : 0
Skill Points Rem: 0

Life : 535 / 487
Mana : 107 / 92
Stamina : 240 / 240

Gold (Inventory): 0
Gold (Stash) : 946584

Number of Items : 97

Stash:
Eth Rune Nef Rune Eth Rune El Rune Ral Rune
Ith Rune Ral Rune Eld Rune Tal Rune Tir Rune
Ral Rune Sol Rune Ort Rune Sol Rune Eld Rune
Ith Rune Nef Rune Eth Rune Io Rune El Rune
Dol Rune Nef Rune Eld Rune

Hsarus' Iron Stay - Belt
Cleglaw's Pincers - Chain Gloves
Hwanin's Blessing - Belt

Fiaan wearing:
Lore - Full Helm 'OrtSol'
Amulet of the Bat - 4% ML
The Spirit Shroud - Ghost Armor
Sigon's Sabot - Greaves
Sigon's Wrap - Plated Belt
Sigon's Gage - Gauntlets
Cathan's Seal - Ring (former 3% LL ring)
Manald Heal - Ring (former 3% ML ring)

Cruel Needle
Composite Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 10 to 11
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 37
Bow Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0x7863cf21
+6 to Minimum Damage
Adds 9-17 fire damage
Adds 8-27 cold damage over 1 seconds
+1 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+16 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)

Kuko Shakaku - Cedar Bow

Mercenary Items :

Sander's Paragon - Cap
Hwanin's Justice - Bill

Cruel Shroud - Breast Plate
Breast Plate
Defense: 138
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Strength: 30
Required Level: 27
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x6450f1a4
+9 to Life
+100% Enhanced Defense
Damage Reduced by 3
Fire Resist +27%
Lightning Resist +30%
Poison Length Reduced by 50%

The rare bow was dropped by Baal. Very nice, it about dubbeled my AR and went upto 70 max damage or so.. but still Kuko owns it like there's no tomorrow. My mercs cap and weapon were also dropped by Baal. My stash is full although I edited alot of items out. I keep various gems from flawed to perfect and all those runes. I don't see a nice runeword to make though, so I just keep them in my stash and cube them up if I get 4 of one kind.

That's it. I think I'll lay low for a while to let you guys catch up :grin:

Sathien Greenleaf Progresses into Act 4

That is an amazing stretch of good fortune Sint! I hope that I can catch up sometime next week and have just about half that much luck. For now, Sathien has defeated Mephisto and is sitting on a bench in the Pandamonium Fortress talking to Cain and waiting for me to finish this post before moving on. The fight with Mephisto was easy on P8 and the merc did not need to be resurrected. The Valkarie (Lvl 2) did need to be recast a few times, and we did a couple hasty retreats to save the merc, but all-in-all, I could hope for no better results. The drop was useless except for the set item, Angelic Sickle. Since I had been saving the Angelic Mantle in hopes of getting a set match, I now had an armor with a little defense to it (218). One problem though, no one could use it. My Amazon will be using only a bow and my Act 2 merc needs a two-handed polearm or spear. That meant that I would have to get the Act 3 merc that I had been planning to get when my Valkarie was powerful enough to doing the tanking. I hired a level 31 cold merc (Jarulf) and outfitted him with the two Angelic items, Milabrega's orb shield and the same rare crown that the Act 2 merc had worn. That lightened up the load that I had been carrying in my stash, but I still have two set armors (Berserker's and Isenheart's) waiting to see if I match those. It is probably not worth it, but while there is room, I will keep them in the stash.

Sathien's equipment is still minimal. She has a Chain Mail Stealth armor and Chance Guards chain gloves. She found an amulet with +11 to resist all and a couple good rings with resists. The result is that she is 74-61-55-64 in resists. Her other items are rares with decent resists and a few other minor attributes, but nothing worth listing. Her attributes are S56, D70, V80, E44. She has hopes that Act 4 will uncover a few treasures to help out a little with Diablo. She intends to use P8 all the way (except Ancients), so she will need all the help she can get.

A comment about that Kuko Shakaku bow that Sint found: I found my first one (only one) in the pass it on tournament where you get a different character about twice per Act. It was very helpful when I was using an Amazon, but it is also better than most any other weapon for other characters. One necromancer (I hate necromancers) was converted to a virtual amazon; Kuko was his weapon and the clay golem acted as his Valkarie. He breezed through his part of NM Act 3 with no difficult whatsoever. {Boy, I wish I could find one of them in this tournament!}

Question: I have never done Baal runs. I guess you have to go back to the Worldstone Keep Level 2 WP and then kill all those minions again, and again, and again.... Sint! Did you really do this about 35 times?? I doubt that I am up to that.

Code:
Wolron          Sathien Greenleaf the Elf 0        32     Pandamonium Fortress  
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        32     Kurast Docks

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]

There has been some great progress and luck thus far, I'm quite pleased to say i can add some more of both :smiley:

I put in a few hours yesterday, and pushed hard to finish normal today. I still have to run Baal for the ring, but i have done the quest kill.

Build Note 1: My initial plan was to focus on the summoning skills.

Act 2: The Arcane Sanctuary was a case of 4th time lucky, this seems to happen more often then not. Duriel's aura caused some problem for my wolves. Fortunately i had found a pelt with +1 to Fissure, this provided me with a means to help them.

Act 3 and 4: I continued to make use of the pelt to provide a support skills for my wolves. I didn't want to invest any hard points in the elemental tree at this point, more on that further down.

Mephisto's quest drop presented me with a Gull dagger and a Stormguild, two items a human would have really appreciated. Diablo's lightning hose was not wolf friendly, Diablo does not like wolves. Unfortunately for Diablo, the feeling among the wolves was mutual... there was a long queue of spirits waiting to get their jaws around his ankles.

Build Note 2: Upon reaching Act 5, i decided it was time to put some hard points towards a support skill in the elemental tree. The obvious choice was arguably Fissure, but i wanted to go with something different... Hurricane.

The build is running the risk of being under powered later in the game, but it has been fun along the way, and that's the important thing.

Act 5: After having spent several hours questing, i decided to take a "break" and run Pindle for a short while. This is not something i would normally do when playing hardcore, but i'm glad i went with my instinct...

Screenshot.

That's easily the best unique i have ever found in normal difficulty, it's also the best unique i have found in HC period. I should also add: 0 MF :thumbsup:

Skin of the Vipermagi
Serpentskin Armor
Defense: 279
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 43
Required Level: 29
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0x52818f0d
+120% Enhanced Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 11
All Resistances +31
30% Faster Cast Rate
+1 to All Skill Levels

The Ancients were surprisingly very straight forward, my wolves handled them well with support from Hurricane and my Rogue merc. The same was true for Baal's minions, and indeed Baal.

Currently at clvl 40, Tilion will return to the throne room in search of the ring before carrying on with his journey.

Code:
Deadbob         Tilion the Sorcerer       0        40     The Worldstone Chamber
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        32     Kurast Docks

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]

Wolron said:
Question: I have never done Baal runs. I guess you have to go back to the Worldstone Keep Level 2 WP and then kill all those minions again, and again, and again.... Sint! Did you really do this about 35 times?? I doubt that I am up to that.

Hm... the squid seemed to have eaten my post :undecided:

Anyway, yes you should run Baal. It's not mandatory and you can postpone it, but it's part of the tournament. If you deceide to run Baal later on and die in Hell (missed two rings) you will be ranked behind someone who has just found his first ring of Baal normal. It's your choice really...
You should just get a nice map (switch between normal and nightmare a couple of times) so you can get to the throne fast and play on players one. I cut my runs down to about 6 minutes per run, killing most of the stuff outside the throne in one hit and Baals minions quite fast. Baal proved the longest though.
You do have some nice resists, normally I try to keep them up to date, but this time I'm lacking it a bit. My fire res is near 0 in NM and only my cold res is up I think.

Very nice armor Bob, I don't think I ever got anything of normal Pindle.

Code:
Deadbob         Tilion the Sorcerer       0        40     The Worldstone Chamber
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        39     The Worldstone Chamber

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]

Toimli has just made Destroyer, hasn't been too hard but he is massively underpowered at the moment due to lack of a decent weapon or two. I'm hoping that a nice axe will fall whilst running Baal for the ring.

Congrats on all the nice finds so far, I think you are all stealing my luck as I am getting very little in the way of nice items for Toimli :tongue:

Hopefully I will have a ring to report in the morning but I am off to bed now, have again spent about an hour too much on him as I wanted to get through to Baal :smiley:

Good luck to all and goodnight :smiley:

Sathien, her merc Jarulf and the Valkarie have defeated Diablo and moved on to Harrogath. The movement will be slow from now on. Sathien is my fifth current tournament character to reach normal Act 5, and now I will be taking them through in sync. Meaning, I will get all five to the first quest, then get all five through the second quest, then.... I figure it will take about a month to kill off all of them at that rate. Maybe someone will reach Hell, maybe not.

Code:
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        39     The Worldstone Chamber
Wolron          Sathien Greenleaf the Elf 0        35     Harrogath

[U]Resting In Peace[/U]

Druid is 23 and about to get the amulet, I'm a fire/summoning druid. (Not sure how to update table)

Slow and Steady wins the race!

RIP Aerwynd and Drebo

Congrats to Sint... you're not only advancing at a good pace, but stealing eveybody's luck as well!

Just beat Meph... have taken all Acts and Bosses on /players 8 so far. Several close brushes with death, but the thrill of surviving those close calls make them well worth the risk.

Meph went down easy... No teleport for moat trick, so had my grizzly (2900 Life) tank while my rogue archer (yes, you read right!) added elemental support. Milar cast Volcano and resummoned his bear and Oak Sage as needed until big M fell. Got Cathans Mesh Armor and 5 low level rares for my troubles. Never played a summon druid before, so I'm really impressed with its ability - This is the first Meph fight without the moat trick that I survived without taking a hit.

Will probably finish Normal, then go magic finding to get ready for nightmare. Found over two dozen rings at this point... hope Baal is just as generous.

I still have some trouble updating the table, but I'm getting the hang of it. Thanks to all that have helped update my stats:

Forum Name: Spellreaver
Character Name: Milar the Sorcerer
Character Level: 32
Rings Found: 0

Code:
Spellreaver     Milar the Sorcerer        0        32     City of the Damned
Hoop76          Gandhoop the Sorcerer     0        24     Kurast Docks

Resting In Peace

Finally got a chance to do an update. Going has been really slow so far, hopefully now what i got tornado, things will go better. I also updated your for you Spellreaver

Code:
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        47     The Worldstone Chamber

Resting In Peace

Quick update: Have done god knows how many players 1 baalruns now and still no ring :sad2: Unfortunately, Baal has also not dropped any nice weapons to use either so I'm still rather underpowered, but, I have just made a Strength Hatchet which seems to be speeding things up. I've also crafted and gambled these gloves and boots which both may last until the end of the game:

Plague Grip
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 9
Durability: 13 of 14
Required Level: 40
Item Level: 36
Fingerprint: 0x630d2e8a
+14 to Life
+30% Enhanced Defense
Lightning Resist +29%
2% Life stolen per hit
9% Chance of Crushing Blow
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Nova when struck

Beast Slippers
Light Plated Boots
Defense: 10
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Strength: 50
Required Level: 29
Item Level: 47
Fingerprint: 0xd1b6ce1c
+5 to Dexterity
Lightning Resist +37%
Poison Resist +19%
14% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
30% Faster Run/Walk

Good luck to all, hope you have better fortune finding the rings than me!

Goodnight :smiley:

Wow I really should start up Nulir...I promise I will tomorrow or the day after...

Code:
Milb            Toimli the Dwarf          0        47     The Worldstone Chamber
Greenmind       Sallazar the Sorcerer     0        20     Lut Gholein

Resting In Peace

Time for my first update. Just killed Raddy and now looking for the cube. Havent had any problems thus far. Havent found any decent items yet either, but I did manage to gamble Deaths hand. Im using a steel claymore and stealth armor.

Code:
Ropepaelgen     Garin the Human           0         8     Cold Plains

Resting In Peace

Work and new apartment has been keeping me pretty busy but I did get to play a little last night. Table updated.

Code:
Jungleboy       Pallando the Sorcerer     0        17     Lut Gholein

Resting In Peace

Finally got some play in and made it to the next world without too much trouble. Playing a summoner has it's drawbacks however, getting my wolves to attack is sometime very difficult and I almost have to run past the monsters for them to take notice. I'll hold out until I get volcano at lvl 24 before I make too much judgement however. Andy was no problem, only used one mana potion and didn't get hit once. Got down to two wolves at one point but she went down pretty quick!
Haven't found any items of note but rather my stash is full of rejuv pots, gems and other nick nacks. Now on to get the cube...

We are back up and running :smiley:

Baal finally dropped a ring yesterday (screenshot & ATMA readout provided below table). I'm pretty sure this is the first time i have reached clvl 50 before leaving normal.

I've made a start in NM, there isn't much to report on that front.

Code:
Deadbob         Tilion the Sorcerer       1        51     Far Oasis

Resting In Peace

The Ring:

Snake's Ring of Accuracy
Required Level: 31
Unidentified
Item Level: 60
Fingerprint: 0xe751d942
+8 to Dexterity
+9 to Mana

The Screenshot

Code:
Deadbob         Tilion the Sorcerer       1        51     Far Oasis
jjscud          Renar the Dwarf           0        25     Lower Kurast

Resting In Peace

Just moving through the game. I'm currently using two steel Military Picks. I gambled about 50K on War Axes last night with nothing to show for it, hopefully I'll have a bit better luck tonight.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High