The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

Re: The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

Ah, forgot that cold res is a prefix, just like the triumphant =D
Now, one more theory crafting... since with this recipe rare and uniques can spawn.. what would happen if a rare spawns with sapphire and triumphant using this recipe? =D

I thought it was only magical/set/unique? But I might remember wrong...

well udgard one ring cant spawn with 70 MPK but if you mean with 2 rings it possible and looks funny too, when you manabulb jumps up and down all the time. But dont think there is something special with this recipe and coldres being extrmely high

Edit nice one snooker did you find it if so where? please tell me:D

In superunique chest in Lower curast. Its just a hunch i have but this map feels like its dropping more charms than other i have had (kinda like maps that give you more runes than normal)..

This map gave me my 40 to max damage charm a few days ago aswell :)

Last night i finally was able to rack golden winged helm aswell (i am on a roll)

so now the map doesnt have any other good racks to hunt (except one balrog skin but have gotten that long ago). So i want to look for a new one but i am hesitant because of the great charms i have gotten :crazyeyes:..

I have found other great all resistances charms in the past though (yes i have played 1.07 aloooot) so they will drop eventually.

What I am curious is if the ring spawned with cold res.. will it stack with the cold res from the recipe, and get bugged by the MPK, resulting to 70ish MPK ring? o_O

Hi there.

No it didnt (if you meant my ring). it has 10 fast cast and 23 MPK.

No, I don't mean your ring =D Was just theory crafting, wondering if we can ever see some 70 MPK rings =)

I don`t know the answer.
And given the odds of rares is the same as from racks (1:200) its not that easy to find out with testing.

seems preety nice, but why eth + ral can't be harvested until act 3?
What about countess?

I'm a little late to the discussion (and to answer), but I don't think the Countess' rune drop was introduced until later versions. I did 3 runs with my new 107 character (hoping for some Tir runes) and not a single rune dropped. Although the odds of no-drop on runes aren't astronomical (1/64 each time, iirc), the odds that I'd have 3 unlucky runs in a row are obviously pretty small. I got bored after 3 runs and moved on without testing further.

Sidenote: Somewhat related to the Countess discussion, I admit I've only skimmed the 1.07 guides, so maybe I missed it, but...

... it seems the guides focus a lot on technical differences (+50% extra max damage on eths, new-old crafting recipes, etc.) and not a lot on the differences in gameplay. For example, I've noticed Waheed seems to have a shorter "leash" and somewhat worse monster-recognition-AI than in 1.12a, bosses/champs are likely to be more colourful in appearance, the countess doesn't look like she has a guaranteed rune drop, etc.

Do the existing guides get into this later, or does anyone have a link to where such info might be compiled (somewhat) consisely? Or maybe a new "compilation" of 'more generalized' info like this would be a good contribution to the forum?

That's just a thought. At the moment I'm kindof enjoying my relative ignorance and learning "new" things about the differences, but eventually my ignorance will get old (which is when I'll start reading the existing guides more closely).

Anyways, I have a more direct question on a 1.07 topic that was mentioned in this thread (but I never saw the answer). Was it ever decided if level5 or level8 was the right point for crafting the +mana after each kill rings?

I found my first batch of potions and I'm getting ready to start a new barb for the purpose, and was wondering whether to stop him at level5 or level8 for the crafting.

@poops - everything you mentioned (from countess not having special drops to colourful bosses) - its all somewhere deep in the 1.07 gossip thread, the problem is the current lenght of the thread. Actually it covers almost everything we know about 1.07 but probably not everyone has the patience for so much reading, so an updated version of 1.07 guides would definitely be useful for many.

Lvl 8 is the best choice for crafting mpk rings as then you have the best odds for getting 10% fcr as suffix which requires ilvl 5.

Thanks nermind.

I suspected the threads had all of the info, but as you said, it's a lot of reading. There's just so much info on various 1.07 topics and it's so scattered that it would be a huge undertaking to try create some order out of all that's there - especially when those that are willing to dig can usually find what they want in what's already provided.

And, now that I think of it, Jaedhann's time-travellers guide is already an excellent attempt at making a concise summary. So I guess that idea can be scratched off the list.

And thanks for the point on the Apprentice mod spawning at level8. That chance will make it worth the (short) wait.

Lastly, and nobody has ever believed me on this one, but you might want to start a barb and melee through normal, or at least as far as Act III, then take the gear you find with him and twink out a sorc.

Having just started (from scratch) in 1.07 with a sorc and a barb, I think I can make semi-informed comment on this. IF you plan to build a barb in 1.07 at some point, then this advice is spot-on.

For the first act or two (maybe longer), the barb will be faster and easier when untwinked. At the very least, you can use this time to stockpile mana potions for your sorceress and probably get a few other (slightly) helpful items like Lizards charms, chipped Sapphires for your armour/helm, and Tir runes for your weapon/shield. And maybe you can get lucky and get the ingredients for a nice Mana ring too.

AND you get a head start on your barbarian in the process, so although a twinked barb is faster to start with, I think the time and headaches you'll save with the slightly-twinked sorc will more than make up the difference.

Of course, if you don't want to build a barbarian, then I think muddling through with something else as your first character is perfectly fine (and probably quicker overall). But having taken on BloodRaven first with the untwinked sorc a couple of days ago, then again with an untwinked barb today, I can state for certain that the barb is a quicker, safer, and easier jump-start character - up to some point (probably Act3-5, as Disco-neck Ted mentioned).

Yeah, I just started with a sorc not too long ago and bloodraven was a definite pain. I loved my 1.09 frenzy barb so i think I might go with the flow and make one of those before my sorc, or maybe simultaneously. However, Sorcs used to be fun back in the day too, just take some time getting built up from scratch.

For the sorc I saved every gold piece until I was able to buy a +3 IceBlast staff. With the point I already spent in IB (as a prereq. for FO), it has +31 cold damage - pretty solid for the first couple of acts since there's no /players command to boost monster life. After the staff, it was basically getting the biggest hurt-stick/bow I could for my merc and letting him get the kill as much as possible to save my mana.

It's pretty slow, but very safe with the freezing from IB. I'm up to level19 now and after a small investment into energy (and some +mana gear) I'm able to actually contribute to the battles about 30-50% of the time (the merc can easily handle the rest). Bosses & champs are the only time I drink mana potions at the moment, and I don't think I've touched a red potion in all of Act2.

I'm not certain this strategy will be effective enough to get me to level30 (or even into Act3), but so far it still rolls along tolerably well, so I'm going to stick with it for now. I'm saving $$$ for the +3 GS staff now, just in case (but the mana cost scares me a little).

Edit: The +3 IB staff is looking like it's enough to get to level24 and Blizzard at least - maybe further. So I've stopped looking for a +3 GS staff and moved on to one with +3 Blizzard as the goal. No luck there, and I haven't had any luck on rerolling a good ring either, so mana's still something of an issue - but it works well enough for the moment.

Good ideas! I should be shopping around too probably. I think I am only at lvl 10 though with little gold. Maybe a goldfind/horker barb will get started here soon. Anyone have some good tips on skills, other than an fo/static sorc and frenzy barb. I read somewhere fireclaws isnt bad on a druid. Any other skills that used to rock but have since been nerfed? Maybe a blendersin or a summoner druid?

@ sirpoos, a few comments back: You said that a barb can farm chipped saphires to put in your sorcs helmet. Saphires of any quality work for crafting MPK rings. Just thought you should know, incase you looked up that recipe in the Arreat summit(there it says perfect saphires are needed).

Thanks, I knew it but decided that +30 mana in an armor early on was worth the 3 tries I'd get at a MPK ring later (I still had a ways to go to get the cube at that point).

Other than those 3 I've burned all of my blue, green, red & yellow gems to this point on rings, but no good ones yet.

At least you can put some saphires in armor/helm, so mana shouldn`t be a big problem, that alone makes sorc even better for starting with (I had to stick only rubies in all available slots just for safety and even then it wasn`t that bad at the beginning).

@cheerupemokid10- a viable GFer requires quite a lot of gear to be gathered, early on you`ll get quite a lot of gold when you get to Hell LK.

If I make a runeword, and open that character in ATMA, will my char get corrupted, or do I need to mule the runeword to a stash for that to happen?

You can open the character, as long as you don`t touch the runeword in Atma character wont get corrupted. But given how useless (99% of the time) are 1.07 runewords I prefer not making any of them.

Edit@below - I`ve always preferred socketed helms&armors with as large rubies as I can get, but in SC you probably have different priorities.

Last edited:

Beauty and bramble is pretty good for starting though..

Bramble here I come! I hope it makes me run faster...Is putting 9 points into find item a good idea?

Depends on what you are going to do with the barb, my GFer has 20 points in that skill :)

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High