The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

Tubba Blubba

Jul 24, 2008
The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

I saw that some items and features of 1.07 were highly interesting, so I decided that it was worth to pay it a visit.

After reinstalling D2/LoD on my computer in a new folder and having read through the various guides, I started. I decided to pick a Forber, because, well, I'm not really here because 1.07 seems that fun to play.

So I start. Clearing out Den isn't too bad.

Then I reach Blood Raven. Whoa. I clear through the two dungeons next to her first, and eventaully whack her down with my weak level 1 Ice Bolt and 1-chipped-gem sword. I'm now in the Underground passage with my merc getting most of the kills.

Geez, this is tough. Does anyone have a suggestion as for how I'm to get through even the first bit of the game without dying ALL the time and taking forever to kill things? At least I've got static field now that I'm on level 6, but that only helps so far...

Re: The tediousness of 1.07 - The beginning of a not-so-new adventure

I am also planning to make a switch to 1.07 these days, especially for the socketed items and the charms. I have done some reading about the matter and i advice you to do the same and look at the following link and the 3 links under 1.07 section of that guide.

Time Travelling the SPF Way by Jaedhann

From my understanding it the easiest to start 1.07 with a static field, FO sorc; using maxed warmth and a single point ES for survival. Be vary that cold mastery breaks even immunities in 1.07 so it is very powered.

I read that leaving vitality at base and pumping energy is the better way in the long run but it should surely make questing harder.

EDIT: The top two links in that guide mainly tells why and how you should take advantage of 1.07 but if you read along the 101 pages of the "1.07 timetravellers bar" link you will come upon many survival tips :rolleyes:

Hello there, welcome to the "wonderful" world of 1.07 - those hunting for 1337 items will find everything from their dreams to nightmares here ;)

Basically its pretty straight forward - i dont see how NORMAL can be too tough, just try not to be very underleveled - modified .dll (or fast user switching for windows XP, although its slower) will help a lot to boost the number of players in the game.
Other than the guides theres the 1.07 Info&Gossip thread that Nac mentioned - it IS worth reading through the endless pages as it covers pretty much all the info you may ever need about 1.07 (and you probably wouldn`t ask these questions if you had read it:)).
Its also the best place to ask some quick questions, so that they all stay in one place ;)

What Nac suggested is OK, except ES&Energy pumping - I`ve never bothered with ES before ~lvl90 when I just have too many spare skill points and plenty of mana (500-800 with max vita build), and even then its just a one-pointer for a little extra safety (that you probably don`t even need in SC).
After finding a couple of rings with +mana you should have enough mana to play comfortably with endless rejuvs ;)

Hm, I guess I'll boot up a few extra instances to boost my EXP gain, then.

Does the regular hacked .dll work with 1.07?

The 1.09 one works.

I am also planning to make a switch to 1.07 these days, especially for the socketed items and the charms. I have done some reading about the matter and i advice you to do the same and look at the following link and the 3 links under 1.07 section of that guide.

Time Travelling the SPF Way by Jaedhann

From my understanding it the easiest to start 1.07 with a static field, FO sorc; using maxed warmth and a single point ES for survival. Be vary that cold mastery breaks even immunities in 1.07 so it is very powered.

I read that leaving vitality at base and pumping energy is the better way in the long run but it should surely make questing harder.

EDIT: The top two links in that guide mainly tells why and how you should take advantage of 1.07 but if you read along the 101 pages of the "1.07 timetravellers bar" link you will come upon many survival tips :rolleyes:

I have two sorcs in 1.07. One with Warmth maxed and one with teleport maxed..Definately prefer the one with teleport maxed. I have base energy with both and its fine (yes you have to drink potions when using static but you have the full rejuvs so no worries). So maybe maxed teleport and points in energy its best of both worlds..

Game boots up all right with 1.09 d2gfx.dll, but I can't run multiple instances.

You might want to think carefully before you use a mod to artificially boost your experience gains.

1.07 is really only difficult for a caster if you play it without mods. If you want to have the sense of accomplishment that comes with beating this version of the game, and if you ever want to trade with people who don't use a mod, then I would skip the special file that lets you run multiple instances of the game.

If you just want itamz as fast as you can get them, then do what you think is right. But if you use a mod then you can't really say that you beat 1.07.

Moving along to advice on how to get through the game, I recommend that you do not put any points into energy. Like any version of D2, you may have to do experience runs, only here it means clearing the Den of Evil a few times. At lvl 6 you are probably past the point where that will help, but you can still go after Rakanishu or Bishibosh.

For items to use or to sell and raise cash, there is often a special chest in a hut on the blood moor. You won't have any FRW unless you've shopped boots with 10%, so you want a map where the hut is close. You can run this chest 10 or 20 times and improve your gear considerably. Items worth selling will be wands, staves and scepters, although you might want to use a scepter to hit stuff with. Gambling is also your friend. Later, you can run Bone Ash for loot, but watch out for his death explosion

I think there is something cool about the difficulty of getting through this release of D2 untwinked. Good luck with it. Oh, and, counter to most advice, you might want to start with a big-life char like a barb or a wolf.

Have fun!

If you just want itamz as fast as you can get them, then do what you think is right.

Yes, this, quoting from my OP:

I saw that some items and features of 1.07 were highly interesting, so I decided that it was worth to pay it a visit.

After reinstalling D2/LoD on my computer in a new folder and having read through the various guides, I started. I decided to pick a Forber, because, well, I'm not really here because 1.07 seems that fun to play.

Of course, if I feel up for a stupidly tough challenge some time, I'm sure I'll try it out vanilla some time.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I've gambled a bit on and off.

Also, I've seen advice on starting a Classic character to gamble some twinking/MF gear, is this a good idea?

Yes, I noticed your directness about what you were after and how you intended to get it. Good deal. Of course, other people will read this thread as well, and it can't hurt that people make an informed choice.

A couple of more tips:

Craft rings. Save any that drop. Since MF is messed up, don't bother socketing topazes, just pop 2 of them and a ring in your cube once you get it and transmute. Also, when you get to an exploding shrine, set it off and collect the potions. This will seem obvious after the fact, but open your inventory and pick up each exploding potion. If you just click on them to pick up automatically, you will get one stack of potions and only be able to craft one ring.

Also, keep an eye out for any light 2-socket armor and make this runeword:

9. Bramble (Body Armour)
Eth Ral

47% enhanced defence
38% resist fire
33% resist lightning
10% faster run/walk
+15% mana regeneration

You should be able to get eth and ral in act III, iirc.

Lastly, and nobody has ever believed me on this one, but you might want to start a barb and melee through normal, or at least as far as Act III, then take the gear you find with him and twink out a sorc.

I think its very imprtant to note it once more - be very careful if you make any 1.07 runewords, because moving them in Atma may corrupt your stashes. Probably not making any is a good idea - socket a shield with Pdiamond and you should get most of res you need, Prubies seem like a good idea to socket into armors - you can get up to ~250 life armors which are good for end-game as well.

On the mod and .dll topic - really just do what seems could get you the most fun, the only ones who can say that they have actually beaten non-modded Diablo are those few who have played toruneys (or made some fun projects) without RRM/RWM AND without Atma - very very very few people around here :)
Edit: although I don`t trade (self-found is the part of the game which makes it feel like an accomplishment for me) from what I know most of the SPF trade pool is tainted with HF rushing/modified .dll/hot muling/HC>SC/ebugging and all those sort of cheezy things and once again there are very little vanilla players who avoid all of that.

Edit2:I also don`t believe what Ted said about starting with a barb :p Actually for me its the other way around - right now I`m building a MF barbarian with lots of rare gear gathered by my sorcs :)

Oh, snap! Nice reminder. Some of my 1.07 behaviors are so automatic, I forget to share the reason behind them: I use Bramble until something better comes along, put it in stash (ingame) or sell it if I need the space. When another one is needed, eth and ral are simple enough to come by (or move runes and armor separately to a char and then make the runeword again). The 10% FRW in a light armor works better than the 40% FRW on Trang's Scales if you have a decent amount of FRW from other sources.

By the way, 1.07 runewords don't corrupt anything if you don't move them off of the character that created them. Iceblink unique armor will also corrupt stashes (and characters, I believe) if you mule it around with ATMA, and there may be another item or two that does the same.

Bottom line is that Bramble is very good armor for a starting character and could be the endgame rack-running armor of choice as well.

@nermind: using your definition, you could say that I've beaten 1.00 classic, 1.07 (HC and SC both), 1.08 (ATMA only), 1.09 and 1.10a unmodded. Most of them more than once. As for starting off by getting a barb or druid part way through the game and then switching to a sorc, that is probably only true if the modified .dll is not used, so you probably don't have a frame of reference. It worked awesome for me getting an untwinked 1.07 HC frenzier to guardian. But, with the .dll to boost experience, yeah, maybe a sorc straight out the gate is the way to go. Especially in HC, you are gonna want the experience cushion that the mod provides.

Again, excellent reminder about runeword corruption. Your advice is probably a better fit in general for Tubba Blubba's situation, so keep on keeping on.

Edit: 1.07 HC used ATMA, now that I think about it.

Disco-neck Ted said:
Iceblink unique armor will also corrupt stashes (and characters, I believe) if you mule it around with ATMA, and there may be another item or two that does the same.

Not only Iceblink will corrupt your stashes, but every item with "Freezes Target" mod, so be careful about those.

As I wrote, 1.09 hacked .dll works as the normal 1.07 one, but doesn't seem to let me boot up several instances. Any ideas?

Since i intend to move to 1.07 i'm intersted in some stuff to...
Code:
9. Bramble (Body Armour) 
Eth Ral 

47% enhanced defence 
38% resist fire 
33% resist lightning 
10% faster run/walk 
+15% mana regeneration
seems preety nice, but why eth + ral can't be harvested until act 3?
What about countess? And is there any lowish RW that is useful like this one?

And are there any SERIOUS threats like that ATMA moving bug that corupts stashes etc?
Anything that can permanetly screw up my chars or stashes?

I read most of 1.07 guides but i don't recal seeing things like this...
So it seems that backup should be more then offten in 1.07 ...

And are there any SERIOUS threats like that ATMA moving bug that corupts stashes etc?
Anything that can permanetly screw up my chars or stashes?
Yeah, don't ever let your merc die next to Corpse Spitters - they can eat your merc's body and you can't resurrect him anymore, losing all items on your merc that way.

IIRC, as far as trading rules goes, modified .dll is counted as vanilla. Personally, I have spent points to energy on my sorc, and it really helps with my tele-racking (although +mana charms works the same..), so I wouldn't rule out the option of going some points in energy path, it is still useful for endgame racking. Anyways, I've got my stash corrupted by my bramble at least once when I mule it off to a stash xD.
By nermind's definition, I would have beaten 1.07, 1.09, and 1.10 without any mod and no ATMA, although that's mostly because I didn't know ATMA existed until I've beaten 1.10 xD

IIRC, as far as trading rules goes, modified .dll is counted as vanilla.
IMHO modified dll is counted as what you trading partner sees it...I remember that back then 1.07 folks was quite picky about what additional mods/dlls were used and most wouldn't trade with those who used a modded dll - no matter if it officially counted as vanilla or not...

EDIT:
As I wrote, 1.09 hacked .dll works as the normal 1.07 one, but doesn't seem to let me boot up several instances. Any ideas?
Are you using TrenShadow's version switcher? If that's the case, you have to copy the modified dll in the 1.07 folder, but you probably know that already ;-)

Oh, and in case you didn't know: you have to start the first game with the LaunchModGame.vbs link, but each following you have to start with a link to game.exe as I explained here for 1.09 (it's the same for 1.07 with TrenShadow).

No, I use a separate install. Tren's didn't work for me, I guess it hates Vista x64.

Also, I generally prefer using GoMule as the interface is FAR superior to ATMA. Does it work with 1.07 stuff?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High