The Socketed Tournament of Confusion

Re: The Socketed Tournament of Confusion

Sock and Annor are now in Lut Gholein. They had only 1 serious NDE, in Catacombs 3 with a boss ghoul pack and a banished...that surprised me, since they handled much worse without breaking a sweat. Sock had to decide between rare belt, boots, or ring--he picked the belt. Though he has an Arctic Binding light belt he didn't want to be stuck with just 8 potions. Decisions, decisions... I wish he'd come up with some S/U non-socketable stuff, it's way too soon for crafted.

[highlight]Hardcore[/highlight]
Code:
Name             Character          Class         Location          Level  Points
=================================================================================
JayeM            Sock               Barbarian     Black Marsh        19       3
Rhia             BlingBling         Amazon        Dark Woods         13      -3
fanatic          Lee                Assassin      Rogue Encampment    1       0

I got an itch to play D2 again lately, and this looked to be the most recent tourney around, so here I am. My cleverly named Assassin, Sockets, beat up on Andy a few hours ago and is now sitting in Act 2.

Everything went smoothly for the first several areas, with nothing significant to report. The monsters were all pretty tame, with no NDEs worth speaking of. Therefore, I'm going to concentrate on item finds for this act.

I lasted all the way to the Black Marsh before taking a screenie. This one, because it's a sweet ring. Extra damage and mf makes it the best option for my "blue" item slot.

Some more good luck in the pits, which dropped this yummy item. It came in very handy against Andariel. The poison time dropped down to under a second, I believe.

Here, the first casualty of the "unique colors" rule: a nice mf ring that I had to set aside. Later, a pretty buckler which was sold because it had no sockets. Not a huge loss, but it would have been useful for a little while. Plus, the purple color would have looked sweet.

A stroke of good luck occurred in the Catacombs, where I found this useful weapon. Stuffed with two damage jewels, it was a slight upgrade over my previous piece of junk. Later in the Catacombs, I found my first socketed rare. Alas, it was a forbidden weapon type.

Finally, Andy's drop. The boots replaced my gloves, since poison resistance will not be as helpful or necessary after Andariel. Maybe I'll put them back on for Radament, but for now the extra r/w on the boots is far superior.

Anyway, it's been fun so far. Good luck to everyone else playing along!

Scoring:
-20 (clvl)
-5 (shadow)
+10 (waypoints)
+12 (quests)

Man, still negative. Well, that'll turn around soon enough, I hope.

edit: added screenies, updated table for JayeM's post, and sorted tables by score.
And, I just noticed that this is my 1000th post. Go me! Took me long enough; I've been at this for 3+ years (on and off, of course).

[highlight]Softcore[/highlight]
Code:
Name             Character          Class         Location          Level  Points      Deaths
=============================================================================================
Brutass          Ignoramus          Barbarian     Lut Gholein          19       4           0
jamesixgun       Keyne              Assassin      Cold Plains          17      -4           0
Code:
Name             Character          Class         Location          Level  Points
=================================================================================
JayeM            Sock               Barbarian     Lut Gholein        19       3
fanatic          Lee                Assassin      Rogue Encampment    1       0
pwangsta         Sockets            Assassin      Lut Gholein        20      -3
[highlight]Their Deeds Remembered[/highlight]
Code:
Name             Character          Class         Location          Level  Points    Slain By
=============================================================================================  
Spudnik          Locke              Barbarian     Lower Kurast         30     +25

Last edited:

Welcome, pwangsta! Congrats on the 1000th post, and good luck with Sockets!

just curious: what build are you working on?

And thanks for fixing up the tables proper! I told myself to fix them a couple of pages ago, but forgot and got lazy about it. Meh. So thanks loads for setting it right!

And I'm working on an update of the rule set to allow for poison dagger necros and to clarify running the tower @p8 and the Countess @p1. It will probably appear tomorrow, and I'll post a notice with any revised rules. (All current players will be exempt from rule changes, so no worries. . . anyway).

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to order the tables by points only. Then level 1 in Rogue Encampment can be ahead of others who haven't moved. What about ordering by location and secondarily points? That way someone who has actually moved into the game would be listed a touch higher which makes much more sense to me.

Either way, I'll be back at it tomorrow. :)

Some more clarifications needed.

Are these right:

1. To use a socketable item it has to have something in at least one socket.

2. Socketable items must be used (if allowed) as soon as found if possible.

3. This would means that if I find a topaz and later a socketed weapon I must socket it with the topaz and use it (if it's allowed and my stats are enough).

Or am I allowed to postpone the socketing so that I can select what I socket what with eg. skulls in weapon, diamonds in shield, topazes in armor etc.

Ulla

your allowed to postpone, however, say you find a unique weapon if it isnt socketed you CANNOT wear it, to wear it in the slot it has to be socketed.

Boots/Gloves/Rings/Amulet/Belt can be any white/eth/magic/rare/unique/crafted, but only one of each in the slot.

there are runewords to add sockerts to magic weapons/armor whilst rerolling its modifiers

your allowed to postpone, however, say you find a unique weapon if it isnt socketed you CANNOT wear it, to wear it in the slot it has to be socketed.

Boots/Gloves/Rings/Amulet/Belt can be any white/eth/magic/rare/unique/crafted, but only one of each in the slot.

there are runewords to add sockerts to magic weapons/armor whilst rerolling its modifiers

OK, I'm in.

Starting new paladin later tonight. Fantasy namegenerator gave me names and I selected Kalban.

Ulla

EDIT: Totally forgot that there is a football match we're going to watch in a pub with my friends. I'm quite sure that I'm not in shape to play tonight so Kalban's start will be left for tomorrow.

U

Last edited:

I'm curious about something. I've never ever personalized anything for any character. Can anything be personalized? Even jewelry? Thanks!

Edit: I found my own answers! :)

Last edited:

@Spudnik: I think you meant cube recipes instead of runewords

@Rhia: You can personalise all equipment except jewellery

The fiesty Lee has cleared the Blood Moor in her search for the lair of the foul creatures.
Upon sighting the entrance to the Den of Evil, she proceeded to unleash her Tiger fury at every single demon in the lair. She emerged victorious and more experienced.

Besides her starting katar and shield, she is wearing a Rugged Sash and a Leather Armor with a chipped skull. I believe that is all within the rules. I will probably need more advise as I progress further. The rules are certainly many and confusing!

Current Score:
Level: -7
Waypoint: +1
Quests: +2

Code:
Name             Character          Class         Location          Level  Points      Deaths
Brutass          Ignoramus          Barbarian     Lut Gholein          19       4           0
jamesixgun       Keyne              Assassin      Cold Plains          17      -4           0
Code:
fanatic          Lee                Assassin      Rogue Encampment    7      -4
Code:
Name             Character          Class         Location          Level  Points    Slain By
Spudnik          Locke              Barbarian     Lower Kurast         30     +25

BlingBling has taken down the poisonous Andariel! The spider lady dropped nothing of value except to sell for gold. Bling is currently wearing rare boots (provided by Charsi's imbue!) and a blue amulet, a white sash and no rings. I haven't found any green or gold as of yet. Everything else is socketable and fully loaded. I've got three chipped emeralds in the bow, but my damage is pretty sad. :(

She'll probably chill in town for awhile while I attend other things. :)

And thanks, Fanatic! :)

Code:
Code:
Rhia             BlingBling         Amazon        Lut Gholein        17      +5
Code:

Well, technically, Iggy can wear the belt: no problem. And Iggy or Aliza could wear the helm, but only if it is socketable.

The item type restrictions only apply to non-socketable items. Helm, weapons, shields, and body armor may be of any type, but must be socketable.

Ok, wasn't sure about the helm. It has been removed. Thanks for the clarification

Iggy has retrieved the cube and will now go through his cube recipes that cain so generously provided to see if he can make use of other items in his stash.
He's had a few NDE's while in the halls of the dead though furious sucking down of rejuvs kept him barely alive. He's lvl 22. I'll get around to updating the table tomorrow probably as no internet at home (long story)

I am re-entering as a Bowazon! The other tournaments don't interest me as much as this one does ;). Also the other tournaments have been going a while so this will be my only tournament for a while :)

Code:
Spudnik          Seline             Amazon        Rogue Encampment      1       0           0
Code:
Rhia             BlingBling         Amazon        Lut Gholein        17      +5
Code:
[/QUOTE]

Code:
Spudnik          Seline             Amazon        Rogue Encampment      1       0           0
Bobthewarrior	 Sockettobob	    Druid	  Rogue Encampment	1	0	    0

I will officially enter the tournament, although that amounts to little more than filling out the table a bit more at the moment. I will be making my first attempt at a wind druid,

I figure I'll get in early before James goes and changes a bunch more rules :tongue:

I hope to start tonight, but it may be the weekend before he ventures out of the camp and into infamy.

I am tempted, but a bit doubtful. On the one hand, this looks like a really good exceuse to make a second attemt at an Impalazon. A good weapon is by far the most important item slot (and it usually has sockets), and the plan was to go with an Act III Cold merc anyway, and only a strong Decoy as castable "minion".

However:
- I should really finish some of my tourney characters before I commit myself even more
- This is a wacky build by itself. The item restrictions won´t help (but will be a challenge, I admit that)
- I am put off by the overly complicated (IMO) scoring system

Welcome, Bob! And as to my constant modification of the rule set. . . I've sort of changed my mind. DaggerMancers remain prohibited until I hear a compelling argument for their inclusion.

@jiansonz: I'd be honored if you joined the Socket tourney! Your success in other tournaments has been an inspiration, and I always enjoy your progress reports. As to the overly complicated scoring. . . is it really that complicated? Well, maybe it is. But if the scoring wasn't confusing, this couldn't very well be the Socketed Tournament of Confusion, now could it? :crazyeyes:

@ Jian theres no rush to join us, as were all still relatively starting it, (i got the furthest with one toon :p). Join us when you feel ready, but don't leave it too late.

@ JSG: the scoring isn't that confusing once you get the hang of it, at first i had to look a few times about the scoring but other then that its relatively simple, the rules are not that hard either.

Going to start my bowazon now, after doing some 1.09 Mping with fast eddie earlier

Kalban got level 6 in den, but as an oversight he didn't have strength 36. So at level 7 he bought a ring mail with three sockets from Charsi and socketed it with the ctopaz he'd found.

I planned the starting socketing like this:

Kalban: armor-topazes, weapon-skulls, shield-diamonds, helm-rubies
Rogue: armor-jewels, weapon-sapphires, helm-emeralds

I'm going to change the merc to Act III fire and wondering if I'm going to let he have the one runeword: Spirit weapon is easy to make and he would benefit from it.

But that's in the future. Rozanne the fire rogue has a long bow with one csaphire, helm with two...Why don't I just show their equipment.

Kalban's equipment:
Code:
Mechanic's Scepter
One-Hand Damage: 6 to 11
Durability: 46 of 50
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 12
Mace Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xcc01714e
4% Life stolen per hit
2% Mana stolen per hit
+1 to Zeal (Paladin Only)
150% Damage to Undead
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Gemmed Helm
Defense: 16
Durability: 24 of 24
Required Strength: 26
Fingerprint: 0x4a7564da
+10 to Life
Socketed (2: 1 used)

Gemmed Ring Mail
Defense: 46
Durability: 25 of 26
Required Strength: 36
Fingerprint: 0x6cb7accf
27% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Gemmed Large Shield
Defense: 14
Chance to Block:  42%
Smite Damage: 2 to 4
Durability: 23 of 24
Required Strength: 34
Fingerprint: 0xf773b8ed
All Resistances +18
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Superior Leather Gloves
Defense: 4
Durability: 7 of 12
Item Level: 2
Fingerprint: 0xc21b8e06
+11% Enhanced Defense

Storm Cord
Sash
Defense: 3
Durability: 8 of 12
Item Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xf528074a
+1 to Strength
+9 to Maximum Stamina
+19% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +5%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1

Ring of Greed
Item Level: 1
Fingerprint: 0xa56e86ad
27% Extra Gold from Monsters

Superior Boots
Defense: 2
Durability: 10 of 14
Item Level: 11
Fingerprint: 0x9c1ed859
Increase Maximum Durability 15%

Small Charm of Dexterity
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0x66dbbe37
+1 to Dexterity

Rugged Small Charm of Blight
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 6
Fingerprint: 0xd835c35f
+6 to Maximum Stamina
+6 poison damage over 3 seconds

and Rozane's equipment

Code:
Gemmed Superior Long Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 3 to 10
Required Dexterity: 19
Required Strength: 22
Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xf9a5ce09
+2 to Attack Rating
Adds 1-3 cold damage over 1 seconds
Socketed (3: 1 used)

Gemmed Cap
Defense: 3
Durability: 11 of 12
Fingerprint: 0xf5b39da9
+6 to Dexterity
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Gemmed Ring Mail
Defense: 47
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Strength: 36
Fingerprint: 0xb7d7bf6a
+5% Enhanced Damage
Fire Resist +15%
Socketed (3: 2 used)

The belt was found in the Crypt after the ring mail was socketed with three ctopazes. MF even as low as that is benefical. Cold Crow though dropped manure.

Two quest down, two waypoints gathered (one being the camp) and level is 12 so Kalban has 4+2-12 = -6 points.

I checked the rules and it seems that countess runnig is allowed, as well as gem shrine runnig. I'm not sure if I going to do either, but I just mentioned them so that there is no misunderstandings.

Ulla

EDIT: Almost forgot:

@jiansonz: Hope you join as I've always been fascinated by your tourny writings.

U

@Ulla: You read the rules correctly. . . Countess and Gem Shrine running are perfectly acceptable, and are largely encouraged since I want people to succeed and make the best possible go of this tourney.

And a big welcome back to Brutass and his Zon!

I planned the starting socketing like this:

Kalban: armor-topazes, weapon-skulls, shield-diamonds, helm-rubies
Rogue: armor-jewels, weapon-sapphires, helm-emeralds

If you want some better damage early on, use emeralds in one of the weapons. Or jewels of envy if you happen to find them. At this level you probably don't need much leech, and the cold damage is less than the poison iirc. Also, you'll probably find it easier to come by a 3os bow than an 3os hem for your merc. You can switch up what's in the sockets as you find better equipment, with a bit of planning.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High