The Noodle Compound V. 2.0

Re: The Noodle Compound

I dunno... by the time the USA decided to join WWI, Britain and France had come a long way in beating the Germans. As for WWII, to give credit where it is due, the war in Europe was won by the Russians. In the big picture, the western and southern fronts did not matter, it was Russia that took the brunt of the German attack and broke them.

Yeah, France did great for . . . what was it, forty days? The British really put the Germans in their place at Dunkirk. If a second front was unnecessary, I wonder why Stalin was so vehement in insisting on it. No, I certainly agree that the Soviets lost more lives and were successful in tying chewing up a significant part of the German forces, but I disagree wholeheartedly with the Americans not also playing a significant role.

See, what I don't get is why make fun of the French? France does have a rich military history, with major victories, and defeats. Now, look at Italy... which has not one military triumph to its name. Not one.

Pizza and Pasta. You can't make fun of Pizza and Pasta.

Slugs on the other hand...

pizza gets italy off the hook forever. plus, being shaped like a boot provides lots of comic relief. And having been fortunate enough to have been there for a week once, it is amazing and awesome haha. and people arent blatantly rude to americans because they are americans (unlike france)

you can do all 3 at once Leo; knit with left hand, use joystick on other while divining (''Dear Dwayna, please grant me strength to pwn mine enemies online!'')

Italy at least at one point (well, for several hundred years) had an enormous empire. (You might have heard of a little town called 'Rome.') The French had one for . . . what, a few years in the early 19th century? That ended when they were persuasively beaten by the Prussians and British, and then again by the Prussians in 1871. This just set the stage for the War to End All Wars (the first of two world wars), which admittedly the French should have won on sheer moustache awesomeness. Add in World War II, with the heroic actions of Petain and the anti-semitism of many French leading to collaberationism . . . yes, there were many French resistance fighters, to whom I tip my hat. However. it is very difficult to make a case for French military supremacy or adequacy for the last 150 years or so. Maybe 180 years.

:shocked: Sooo many big words.

We have bigger guns and use them with little hesitation :D

And if I could have a say, the french empire has probably been only rivaled by that of rome at it's fullest, alexander the great's and the mongol empire.

fine Leo, I'll give you a slight edge and let you use both hands for knitting and both feet for gaming. Next time though....

*runs to go google one handed knitting*

When I hear of the French Empire, I always think of their colonial empire, rather than Napoleon's empire. Either in the 18th century, when the French had large possessions in North America and India, or from the late 19th to mid 20th century, when they had major holdings in Africa and Indochina. They still have several possessions around the world, more than is left of the British Empire in fact.

If we're going to go back to ancient Rome to find military triumphs for the Italians, then to be fair we should be able to go back to the 17th century when France was without question the dominant power in continental Europe. At a time, the armies of Louis XIV were considered invincible. After that, France undoubtedly went into decline, but remained a power to be reckoned with until eclipsed by the unification of Germany.

French people are funny when they speak french, they always sound so surprised x)

Cor, I could kill for some pizza right now. :D

:evil2:

Fun little things I found out about the cats this morning. Our white cat Carl (comes from a prestigeous line of inbred cats) sings to UB40's Red Red Wine. He yowls along any time its "wi-yi-yiine" or "me-yi-yii". Also found that the kitten (Bub) plays fetch. He has a little red mouse toy, and so long as I stay sitting on the floor, he'll fetch the little mouse back to me. I even filled the tub with water and he just dove in to get the mouse. Crazy little guy. Made me late for work.

EDIT: 900 pages! Is this the longest thread on the forums?

Yeah, was a joke about prestigous and inbred...

That is a very very long thread. 1k Pages will still be cool.

900 so far!~

We should have a rave once we finally reach 1k ~_~

....I should cut back on the anime watching..... ^3^

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High